ABC loses February sweeps

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by crazy4wdw, Mar 2, 2007.

1. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

ABC ratings: A 'Lost' cause?

The Disney-owned network had a tough February due to a ratings slip for 'Lost,' and competition from Fox's 'American Idol' and the Super Bowl on CBS.

By Paul R. La Monica, CNNMoney.com editor at large
    March 2 2007: 12:19 PM EST

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. doubletrouble_vb

doubletrouble_vb Inspired

They can blame it on American Idol or the Superbowl if they want but other than Ugly Betty ABC needs to do a bit of vetting of the scripts they are shooting.

I struggled through the Fall with Lost and have now decided to bag it. I gave up on Desperate Housewives as well and Men In Trees quickly lost me (and it had such a promising idea too). Boston Legal is toast as well.

What's with the rush to sex and violence in these shows? One of the reasons I liked all of them initially was the slower pace and the psuedo realism of the characters lives. ABC allowed NBC to grab that idea and run with it. I'm hooked on Heroes and Medium. I'm still watching Greys Anatomy hoping that it'll turn around but I'll probably give up on that too. All it takes to get me to watch is a well thought out plotline.

4. DisneyGirl4188

DisneyGirl4188 <font color=purple>Mike's Princess<br><font color=

I hardly watch ABC; if it weren't for Lost I wouldn't watch at all. I hate that Lost is on at 10, so I Tivo it. Plus the story is going nowhere and it is nothing like the first season. It's becoming harder and harder to watch.

5. exDS vet

exDS vet "How in the world can the words that I said send s

I have seen this coming and even commented on it a few weeks ago. ABC's problem is the mid-season hiatus of shows like "Lost". I really don't get it where this network is concerned. They either over-saturate viewers with hits like "Millionaire" or they remove the show from the schedule mid-season and bring it back later. IMO, that is the worst thing a network can do with a scripted program. When it comes to dramas, they need to be more consistent.

The biggest loser in all of this will be "Lost." While I don't watch that show, it is obvious that removing it from the schedule hurt it. In a 22-26 week season, it makes no sense to me why they have to break up the season with such a large gap. I don't think "Lost" will be back next season, unless it returns for a "final" season.

It's obvious that this network has no confidence in their hits either. They can't blame the Superbowl. It always trumps the competition. That's why nobody even runs anything against it. But blaming "Idol"? I have never seen a network shy away from competition in such a way. Yes, "Idol" is a ratings smash. But if ABC really wanted to test the waters, they should put "Dancing" up against it. Moving it to Mondays is a bad move. Just ask Trump.

Not only will "Dancing" take a hit Mondays, but their results show will bomb if it goes up against "Idol" on Tuesday.

Instead of the excuses they are using, I'd rather see ABC fess up and say, "Yeah, we suck and we know it."

6. EUROPACL

EUROPACL DIS Veteran

....wait ABC is still on the air? Honest to God, I haven't watched much network TV in the past 5 years. Outside of NBC -My Name is Earl, The Office and Scrubs my TV stays on HBO or Discovery.

7. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Battlestar Galactica is the only drama on TV worth watching.....That isn't on HBO. And even they are having a rough season.

8. Mickmse2002

Mickmse2002 DIS Veteran

I can honestly say I have never watched American Idol so really can't understand the draw. In fact, I really don't watch any network tv. Spend a lot of time watching Food Network......just LOVE Good Eats. I can't remember the last time I tuned in to ABC.......wait, yes I can, it was to watch college football.

9. suzimar57

suzimar57 Miss my Happy Place.

we've given up on lost - we tape it, but just skim thru it (when we've got the time on the weekend) - as for housewives, that's another one we're losing interest in quickly - shame - they both seemed promising - with lost, they create more questions than they answer - and with housewives, well, somehow i just stopped caring what happens to them - sorry, ABC