A Young Family Cruises Through The Panama Canal 8/17/08 With Pictures!!!!!!!!!!

. and nevermind those people giving you looks about the puppy backpack leash! Nothing wrong with it and those people would be the SAME ONES going "tut tut" and shaking their heads at you if you lost your child because she wandered away! You can't win with some people. LOL

Could not agree with you more! I have always gotten nasty looks any time I have used a "leash" on my children but I'll take those looks any day over the looks an angry police officer will give me when I have to report my child lost! My DD is a total runner and I'd rather be safe than sorry - any good parent would! So, when you get the looks - give them right back!

Your TR is fun! Thank you for sharing!

subscribing

This is my dream cruise!

I am really enjoying your trip report; your details are amazing. You remember everything! :) And your family is just so sweet and precious, glad you got to make such special memories with them.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread as I watched the Sox end the regular season with a nice win over the Yanks. :woohoo:

Can't wait to hear more.

I'm having such a great time reading your TR! Thanks for posting it!!!!!

100_2922.jpg

100_2923.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2927.jpg

I continue to really like this report. All the pics are great and the details as well. Keep it coming!

I have not had time to read the whole TR so I appologise if I am asking something you have already talked about - I read the first couple pages and then skipped to the end, I am going to have to go back and finish it though.

You really are a very good story teller....

From your pictures I would not say that the stateroom looks "worn at all", which I have been hearing online...It looks like it was nice. Were you and your family happy with it?

Your family looks like they are having a great time...the kids are precious.

mom2two2

The Mickey Wake Up Call was set for 9 a.m. The girls had Big Plans to attend the Princess Gathering in the Lobby Atrium at 10 a.m. The phone rang and I picked up to an over zealous voice. I immediately hung up. The second wake up call arrived and I repeated it with another hang up. I immediately fell back asleep. I sat bolt upright from sleep sensing I was late for something. It was 9:45 a.m. I immediately jumped in the shower and woke the girl's to get dressed in their princess dresses. We arrived at the end of the line waiting for pictures, just before 10:30. They closed the line seconds after we arrived!
The girls had pictures with Cinderella, Belle and Snow White. DD2 was in awe the whole time. She loved being dressed as a Princess too. She kept looking at her dress and saying, " I Cinderella !" We went back to our room after meeting the Princesses. The girls changed into regular clothes. The kids decided to go to the Mickey 200 starting in the Promenade Lounge at 11:15. I brought the kids over to register while DH got dressed. He said he would meet us when he finished. DS2 had the honor of picking our team name and he decided on, The Goofy Team. We found a table, and our supplies were delivered. We set to work on an elaborate design of a race car made out of a Potato and Carrot. DH showed up and laughed at all or hardwork. He disassembled our masterpiece and set to work on a simple car that worked, but was quite Boring. When it was our team's turn to race we cheered loud but lost. It was a close race, but we lost to another, faster Potato!

After the Mickey 200 I got in line for The Captain's Signing at Treasure Ketch that was starting at 12:00. While I stood in line, DH went back to our room to get our Ship replica and Panama Canal Lithograph that I wanted to have signed. We got in line at the perfect time as there was only a couple people ahead of us. The line quickly grew though! After the Captain signed our memorabilia, we decided to go to Lumiere's for Brunch at 12:30. We were Starving! Our meal here (and waiter) this time was better than our first breakfast, and we were glad we gave it another shot.
After Brunch, we went back to our room to change for the Pool. We found some loungers to relax and the kids swam. They hit Goofy's Galley for some icecream and then swam some more. DH had plans for the Beer Tasting at 3 p.m. and DD1 had an appointment to get her hair braided at 3 p.m. as well. DH took off and I brought DD1 to get her hair braided. DS1 and DS2 played Ping Pong and DD2 chased the foul balls. I sat in a chair between them in full sun and ordered the drink of the Day. The Drink of the Day was Deep Blue Sea and it was 2 for the price of 1. I took one and told the CM to bring by another one later. It was quite relaxing!! DD2 was in awe of DD1 and her braids. She wanted braids too. I was a little hesitant because it can hurt and she has trouble sitting still. I made her an appointment anyways for 4:30 and said we would give it a whirl. DD2 SURPRISED me! She sat still, said Ouch quietly to herself only a couple times, and kept repeating, " I look like Cinderella!" DD2 did better than DD1 with the whole experience! DS1 and DS2 went to the Hot tub at the Goofy Pool for a little while while DD2 had her hair braided and grabbed some Pizza at Pinocchio's Pizzeria. DD1 stayed with DD2 to watch her hair being braided. DH came back from his Beer tasting and took the boys back to the room. When DD2 was done with her hair braiding, we went back to the room to change for Dinner. After getting dressed we went to see The Comedy and Hypnosis of Ricky Kalmon at 6:15 p.m. He was funny and the kids enjoyed it as well. After the show, we went to Rockin' Bar D, for the game show, Think You Know Your Family. DS1's # was called and he pcked DH to go with him on stage to play. The only question that DH got wrong was, What is DS1's favorite Disney Character? He said Mickey Mouse but it is really Chip and Dale. They ended up winning anyways! (Tied with Team #3) Their prize was only DCL Winner Hat's, but they had a BLAST doing it and it was FUN to watch. After leaving the game show, the kids had pictures done with Captain MIckey and MInnie and then we went to the Show Dinner at Animator's Palate. The Show dinner was still beautiful even though we have seen it on two other cruise. The restauraunt is just boring without the color change! DD2 was mesmerized by the whole thing. Of course she was thrilled by the surprise ending!!!
After dinner, we brought the kids back to the room to change into their PJ 's for the Coast to Coast Camp Out. We dropped DS2 and DD1 off at their clubs after standing in the HUGE LINES to do so. DS1 chickened out and refused to go. You had to reserve your tickets ahead of time because only a limited # allowed. I let the lab know he would not be using his ticket in case they had a child on the waiting list waiting for the chance to go. Within an hour of being back at our stateroom, we got a page from DD1. She chickened out as well !! :confused3 DS2 made it the whole night and had a BLAST!! We spent the rest of the evening doing some laundry and getting DD2 to bed.

100_2929.jpg

100_2930.jpg

100_2932.jpg

100_2934.jpg

100_2936.jpg

08snowwhite.jpg

100_2940.jpg

100_2943.jpg

100_2944.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2947.jpg

100_2952.jpg

100_2953.jpg

100_2954.jpg

100_2956.jpg

100_2960.jpg

100_2964.jpg

100_2967.jpg

100_2973.jpg

100_2976.jpg

cropped3.jpg

100_2981.jpg

100_2983.jpg

100_2984.jpg

I have not had time to read the whole TR so I appologise if I am asking something you have already talked about - I read the first couple pages and then skipped to the end, I am going to have to go back and finish it though.

You really are a very good story teller....

From your pictures I would not say that the stateroom looks "worn at all", which I have been hearing online...It looks like it was nice. Were you and your family happy with it?

Your family looks like they are having a great time...the kids are precious.

mom2two2

Our family was happy enough with our adjoining staterooms. We did have a couple complaints which we listed on our comment cards at the end of the cruise. Our first complaint regarding the staterooms, were that our sofa's were in desperate need of being replaced. They were DIRTY with Visible Stains. They were OLD, losing their shape and the pillows had visible rips. The second complaint was that our shower made a VERY LOUD banging noise whenever the shower was on. And our third complaint was that the televisions were in desperate need of being updated. They should be bigger and flat screen's. These T.V.'s are OLD and they get minimal stations. I find it ridiculous that they will only play Disney owned channel's. We stayed at the Nick Hotel after the cruise. My daughter was able to watch the Disney Channel there as well as Nickelodeon! Why can't it be the same on the ship? I believe the T.V. situation was upgraded at Dry Dock. I am not sure about the channels though. We didn't have any reception for much of our 15 day cruise. We literally watched barely any T.V. for 15 days. This is fine for 95% of the day, But if you are stuck in your stateroom at night with a child in bed early or afternoon nap be prepared to be bored or bring a good book. When there was reception, it was Disney movies all the way. This is fine for awhile. I LOVE Disney MOVIES! But, I also craved a good sitcom by the end of this cruise!!!

Thank you for your thoughts and impressions. I really hope the sofas were taken care of during dry dock because that is GROSS.

mom2two2

really enjoying your report

The pics with Belle and Snow White were so cute! DD2 is just precsious with her "I look like CInderella"

DH decided that on this morning, of all mornings, he would set the alarm early and go jogging 2 miles on Deck 4?? :rotfl2: :lmao: Now, he doesn't jog at home so why start on vacation? After his morning jog he stopped at the kids club to pick up DS2. The campout had an 8 a.m. deadline to pick up your kids the next morning. DS2 was happily eating a bagel with cream cheese and had no desire to rejoin his family. DH and DS2 came back to the room to wake everyone up to get ready for our Character Breakfast, scheduled at 9:45 a.m. at Parrot Cay. We managed to be ready early....I know SHOCKING! There is a first time for everybody! So because we were early we had some time to kill to get pictures with Lilo before breakfast. The character breakfast was pretty good. DD2 was beyond thrilled with all the characters. The characters took forever to come around and we ended up missing pictures with Goofy. We had to leave to drop DD2 off at Flounders because we decided to bring the older 3 kids to the Panama Canal Presentation open to families at the Walt Disney Theatre at 11:00 a.m. We wanted to get good seats, so DH dropped off DD2, while the rest of us found seats. Captain Ken Puckett was a great speaker and everyone found the presentation interesting. Afterwards, we waited in line to have pictures with him at Preludes. He was great with the kids, and gave each of them a pin of the Panama Flag. We left to pick up DD2 at Flounders. She was eating lunch and Happy. We then went back to the room to change for the pool. We went up to the Mickey Pool, and found 3 front row loungers. It was a BEAUTIFUL,warm, Sunny day. We decided to enjoy lunch poolside. DH, DS1, and myself brought something from Topsiders back to the pool and DS2 and DD1 had Pluto's. Around 2:30, we headed back to the room to get the girls changed into their princess dresses for The Princess Party being held at Lumieres at 3 p.m. The boys did not want to join us. They stayed in the room to watch the Little League World Series and DH took a nap. They also made an icecream and chocolate chip cookie run up to deck 9. The Princess Party was really well done. As you walked into Lumieres they announce Princess or Prince..... and gave the Princesses a sash and the prince's a crown. You sat at a table and little sandwiches and desserts were served. Belle taught the kids to curtsy, wave and dance. Many other princesses joined in, and there were photo opportunities for all as they made their way around the room to each table. The princesses seemed to love DD2,( probably her young age) and the fact that she was wide eyed with her mouth hanging open in awe the whole time. They gave her TONS of attention and she was eating it up!!
After the Princess Party, we went back to the room to relax before dinner. DS2 wanted to skip the show and dinner to go to the kids club. The rest of us went to see Twice Charmed at 6:30 p.m. in the Walt Disney Theatre. I personally love this show and the Twist on the Cinderella Story. It is really well done. I was looking forward to DD2 seeing this show because she LOVES Cinderella. Of course she was Cranky and fell asleep 10 minutes into the show. After the show we went to, A Pirate's Life for Me in Studio Sea. This is a game show about the Pirates in the Caribean Movies. We don't know the movie's well (saw them each once) so we never knew any answers, but it was an enjoyable high energy game show that the kids enjoyed!
Our Dinner tonight at Parrot Cay was the Prince and Princess dinner menu. I ended up ordering off the Children's menu (Spagetti and meatballs) because NOTHING appealed to me at all on the Adult menu. Everything on the Adult menu was (Seafood, Veal, Lamb or had Mushrooms all over it.) These are all things I HATE. I wish they had basic family meals (like Pasta) on the Adult menu. I actually had 2 really good (by good I mean strong) drinks at dinner(grape crush) on this night so I was in a GREAT mood by the end of dinner!
The drinks in the dining rooms were usually on the weak side, but not tonight!
After dinner, we went to the kids club to gather up DS2. He refused to know his family and would not come with us! So we left him there! :rolleyes1
We went back to the room to get ready for bed. DH went to guest services to locate DD2's missing Little Mermaid Figures (Dog and Crab) that she was sadly missing. They were not there. DS2 never ended up paging us, and we couldn't stay awake any longer, so at 10:45 DH went out to retrieve him from the Kids Club. He was not happy, but we were not about to get another angry wakeup call at 1 a.m. because we forgot our kid. We had an early morning the next day.............Panama Canal Day is up Next!!!!!

100_3052.jpg

100_3055.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3064.jpg

100_3082.jpg

100_3097.jpg

100_3099.jpg

100_3103.jpg

100_3108.jpg

100_3139.jpg

100_3155.jpg

100_3162.jpg

100_3179.jpg

100_3188.jpg

100_3189.jpg

100_3190.jpg

cropped2.jpg

100_3194.jpg

100_3198.jpg

We set our wake up call for 5:30 a.m. and got ready to head up to deck 10. The kids would not wake up with multiple attempts at waking them, so we got DD2 ready and went up to Deck 10 around 6:30. We found a spot about midship, by the Mickey Pool, and set up camp with a table and chairs and a lounger. There were not yet anyone this far back on the ship. The mass of people were crowded at the front of the ship only. DH and I took turns grabbing breakfast to bring back to our gathering spot on Deck 10. DH went first and brought back his breakfast from Topsiders. I took a turn next and grabbed some breakfast from Goofy's Galley for DD2 and I. The Banana Bread was the BEST!! After breakfast, DH went back down to our staterooms to check on the kids and wake them up. He also had to grab our camcorder which we had left charging back at the room. DH rejoined me back on Deck 10 and said the kids were up and getting dressed, and would join us shortly. The kids came up a short while later and then grabbed some breakfast too. We spent the first part of our day, here in this spot, until we were through the first locks, and then we went down to deck 4. I really wanted to get our picture taken by the shutters staff outside the ship in Panama. We also wanted to get a different view for awhile out of the sun! It was a nice change on deck 4. It was in the shade and their were the cushioned loungers to relax in. We were also at ground level with Panama, and you were practically almost close enough to touch it. It started to get HOT, even in the shade as the day went on. The kids were BEGGING to swim so we all went to change into bathing suits and we hit the Mickey Pool. We pretty much spent the rest of the day poolside, taking intermittent breaks up to deck 10 or down to 4, to take in the scenery. We took in the Deck BBQ for lunch, and it was quite good! The skies were starting to get DARK and it looked like it might rain, so at 3:30 p.m. I brought the kids to see the PremEar of The Little Mermaid:Ariel's Beginning in the Buena Vista Theatre. DD2's FAVORITE movie is the Little Mermaid, so I was so EXCITED to see her face when Ariel's NEW movie came on! Well that never happened! DD2 was asleep before the opening credits so the rest of the kids and I enjoyed it. It was really cute. DH stayed out on deck 10, because he didn't want to miss the Magic's arrival at the Last set of locks. The Magic was scheduled to arrive at Gatun Locks at 3:00 and Depart at 5 :20. Well, the Skies opened up while we were in the movies. DH's highlight of the day was being out in the Lightning storm watching the rain. He loves that kind of stuff! The Rain storm caused a Traffic Jam of sorts and we were way behind schedule. DH met us at the theatre when the movie ended and we had not gone through the final locks yet. We went out to Deck 4 (Rain Shelter) and watched for awhile and then decided to go down to deck 3, to the Beat Street Port Holes to get an Underground View of the Locks as the Ship went down. This was really cool to watch. After the Ship came back up and we were at ground level with Panama again, we headed back to the rooms to shower for dinner. Instead of a show tonight the were playing Wall-E in the Theatre. We skipped it to watch the last locks. The kids aleady watched it at the drive-in, here at home before we left for our trip and didn't really care for it. I wanted to give it another shot while on board but we never made it to any other show times. We went to dinner at Lumiere's at 8:30 for the West meets East Dinner Menu. This was a commemorative menu, only for our cruise, that we were allowed to keep. We were all too exhausted to go to dinner, but we went out of guilt to our servers. DD1 and DD2 fell asleep at dinner and the rest of us wanted too! Our servers tried making a bed for the sleeping kids by putting chairs together. It was really thoughtful. After dinner we went back to our staterooms and fell into bed!!!

100_3218.jpg

100_3219.jpg

100_3221.jpg

100_3230.jpg

100_3231.jpg

100_3237.jpg

100_3234.jpg

100_3240.jpg

panamacropped.jpg

100_3249.jpg

100_3254.jpg

100_3262.jpg

100_3267.jpg

100_3279.jpg

100_3284.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3292.jpg

100_3293.jpg

100_3295.jpg

100_3296.jpg

100_3297.jpg

100_3298.jpg

100_3299.jpg

100_3301.jpg

100_3309.jpg

Yay, you snuck in some more pics. My 2 year old was hanging off my shoulder looking at the pics. SHe loved all the characters. And your girls in their dresses. She said "princess" each time she saw them!!
:banana: :banana:

I just saw a picture of our servers Melroy and Ozem. We were also on the repo. You were in the late seating in the table next to where we sat in the early seating. Five of us in the corner against a wall in a table for 4. They were an interesting serving team. I did love Arnold he was the best head server we've ever had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter