A word of warning........

i wasn't asking or expecting them to refund the cash handling charge

i asked them if they could refund the amount paid to them for the t/chqs and then i would pay for them using cash

they said they still couldn't do it in the end so i called barclaycard back and they then agreed to refund the charge

nationwide credit card only charges 0.5% compared to barclaycard's 2%

I'm glad you stuck to your guns and got your charge refunded:Pinkbounc

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! 3 Cheers for the Post Office - I have just had a telephone call from the Post Office complaints department - (as I thought originally it was the PO that had charged me for purchasing my TC!) If I send a copy of my bank statement showing the charge - and as the PO did not forewarn me the bank may charge me - they said as a goodwill gesture they will pay back the extra I paid on my currency. I can't believe how good of them that is - especially as it was definitely the banks fault (incidentally the bank didn't want to know - they insist it is in their t & c and thats that!). I am so pleased - the PO has definitely gone up in my estimation so alls well that ends well.

ta ta guys

Thats quite impressive customer service:Pinkbounc Great news:D

If you use your debit card at your own Bank, your account is debited immediately. Your own money. No fee.

If you go to another financial institution (Bank, Building Society, Post Office or Fort Knox) and want to withdraw cash (sterling, dollars, Thai baht or gold bar) they can not debit your account there and then.

The result is you have been advanced cash - maybe only for a couple of days, but a 'cash advance' none the less.

The financial institution advancing the cash (i.e. the one which physically hands it to you) incurs the cost of handling cash and levies a charge on the drawee bank (i.e. your bank). Your bank then makes a charge to cover that cost.

Cash handling is the single biggest expense of a bank and, of course, they pass that charge onto customers. That is why the likes of Tesco, Marks and Spencer, et al, encourage you to have 'cash back'. Less cash to pay into the bank = lower bank charges.

I know it doesn't take much to confuse me:

so if I want US dollars it's best just to get it through my own bank unless I pay cash - is that the same thinking for travellers cheques as well?

What if I buy AMEX travellers cheques with my AMEX card?

Ta

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter