A Whole New World of Disney ~ Lia's Birthday Shore & Sea Dream Trip! UPDATED 6/24!!!!

Not for nothing, but I really want to travel with a great photographer like you do. Sometimes I just want to put the camera away but know that all the pictures are being taken cared of.

OK, so the pictures of you and Jess outside... that's a private veranda????? Oh God!!

"I wish they had a Little Mermaid themed restaurant too!" OK, I'm out. :rotfl2: Just inexcusable. Disney needs too fix this!

Haha, the ship is actually reminding me of the Yacht Club with the obvious nautical theming and sand castle art. Love it!

Glad you're back and things are going well!! A Disney cruise is just a super amazing birthday treat, I'm totally gonna ask for that! :) Totally with you on the unlimited food--I mean it's a huge part of why I want to go on on one in the first place! :) Can't wait to hear about the rest!

It is cold and rainy where I live right now. Your updates on the cruise is like a ray of sunshine! I have never been on a cruise before, but so far it seems pretty great! Live portraits? Verandahs? UNLIMITED food?! Can't wait to read more!

So glad you are back! I just love all your reports and cant wait to hear more about this cruise! I always think about doing one but for the money we could just do WDW and stay longer so we never bite the bullet and book it.

First, thank you for saying something about getting confused when you get off the elevator! I thought it was just me! :rotfl:

Also, I NEVER would have booked a verandah either because I'm the budget keeper, but DH insisted. We spent a lot of time out there reading. I liked to go out there and get pictures of Castaway Cay too. So, worth it!

The chocolate cookies at Cabanas! We'd randomly run through and grab some cookies a few times a day! :)

We're 18 days away from being back on the Dream! :woohoo: Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

So happy you're back with two updates! I've been looking forward to the cruise part the most because I'll be taking my 1st Disney Cruise in May. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Not for nothing, but I really want to travel with a great photographer like you do. Sometimes I just want to put the camera away but know that all the pictures are being taken cared of.

OK, so the pictures of you and Jess outside... that's a private veranda????? Oh God!!

"I wish they had a Little Mermaid themed restaurant too!" OK, I'm out. :rotfl2: Just inexcusable. Disney needs too fix this!

Haha, the ship is actually reminding me of the Yacht Club with the obvious nautical theming and sand castle art. Love it!

Oh it's absolutely lovely, but I can't wait til I can get the camera I want and experiment myself!

I actually like it even more than the Yacht Club :beach:

WAIT you're going to Disney in 4 days? WOOOOOOHOOOO pixiedust:

Glad you're back and things are going well!! A Disney cruise is just a super amazing birthday treat, I'm totally gonna ask for that! :) Totally with you on the unlimited food--I mean it's a huge part of why I want to go on on one in the first place! :) Can't wait to hear about the rest!

If you do go... pace yourself with the food, LOL. We rolled ourselves off that ship.

It is cold and rainy where I live right now. Your updates on the cruise is like a ray of sunshine! I have never been on a cruise before, but so far it seems pretty great! Live portraits? Verandahs? UNLIMITED food?! Can't wait to read more!

Aww thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying them! Hope you get to go on a cruise someday :)

So glad you are back! I just love all your reports and cant wait to hear more about this cruise! I always think about doing one but for the money we could just do WDW and stay longer so we never bite the bullet and book it.

Thank you!! I was the same way and I am so happy this happened so I was able to finally go. I hope you can take the leap soon and just do it because you will not regret it!

First, thank you for saying something about getting confused when you get off the elevator! I thought it was just me! :rotfl:

Also, I NEVER would have booked a verandah either because I'm the budget keeper, but DH insisted. We spent a lot of time out there reading. I liked to go out there and get pictures of Castaway Cay too. So, worth it!

The chocolate cookies at Cabanas! We'd randomly run through and grab some cookies a few times a day! :)

We're 18 days away from being back on the Dream! :woohoo: Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

LOL definitely not you... we saw other people doing the same thing, so funny

100% worth it! I'm so happy we booked that room. It would just not be the same.

WOW 18 days, you lucky lucky people!! Have a magical cruise!!

So happy you're back with two updates! I've been looking forward to the cruise part the most because I'll be taking my 1st Disney Cruise in May. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Thank you! And you're going on the Dream too... this report is totally gonna prep you for that :)

APRIL 10, 2014
Day 4, Part 3 In Which We Bend Over & Shake Our Tail Feathers

Bye for now, Cabanas!

16185339902_71c0e15f60_z.jpg

Deck 11 is also the location of the glorious Eye Scream, which is available most of the day in unlimited quantities. You may want to watch your kids over there, saw some seriously ridiculous cones being made and ice cream flying everywhere. But hey, isn't that what vacation is all about? If you can't go crazy with ice cream as a child on a freaking Disney Cruise, I don't know where you're going to do it.

15663907383_20c99aae36_o.png

Jess and I went to go look around on the main part of the deck where all the action (usually) is.

15868036271_d3efbbe211_o.png

Most of the pool is closed over and made into a deck during special events like the Sail Away Party and the Pirate Night show/fireworks (both of which were AMAZING, more on those later!)

16257799846_219f1243bb_o.png

The water slide that wraps around the deck is the ever-famous Aquaduck!

16282096081_9276ae517d_z.jpg

This is one of those things I knew about before I even knew a lot about Disney Cruises, and I could not wait to try it out! That would have to wait til tomorrow, though.

15247765844_fe73543b8b_z.jpg

We were two VERY happy girls! OH MY GOD OUR DISNEY CRUISE WAS JUST BEGINNING!

15661383614_e099ddd4c5_o.png

DARKWING DUCK Trivia!! The trivia was usually up there during interim times in between events or movies. They usually play Disney movies when the pool is open which was great.

16096364800_619e9f4b34_o.png

In that photo you can also see the Cast Members setting up for the SAIL AWAY PARTY! We were really excited about that but first we had to go to the mandatory drill.

15869389672_0d2e7bd585_o.png

One of my favorite things on the entire Disney Cruise was the chime that goes off when an announcement needs to be heard. All of you who have been on one will immediately know what I'm talking about. Bum bum bum bum bum bum bum to the tune of When You Wish Upon A Star. They could have been announcing the ship was sinking and I'd still be happy just to hear that chime!

I thought the drill would be more annoying than it was. You don't even have to wear your life vest and the CMs move through it pretty quickly. The most important thing is that you have your key card because they scan it once you are in your designated location. Really you just have to listen to what they have to say so that if there's a Jack/Rose situation you are the one on the floating door and not the one dying in the water.

Once the drill was complete, we did some more wandering around and taking photos. I loved ALL the art on the ship. I loved how everything was decorated and every little detail. That was one of my favorite things, just walking around and seeing all that.

16096471420_22975b1ed6_z.jpg

We had a lot of fun down this corridor.

15661411694_fdf4b6677d_z.jpg

16282998082_c205574f89_z.jpg

All you need is love.

16282998092_ea63ebaa1f_z.jpg

(and Disney.)

Jess was basically screaming when she saw the Mermaid Lagoon. And by basically, I mean she was.

15661411244_da600da46e_z.jpg

One of the elevators is normal, but the other one slides you through adorable character scenes. It was so funny when Jess turned around and saw all the characters rushing by, she started screaming again and was like, "WHY AREN'T ALL THE ELEVATORS LIKE THIS?! OH MY GOD!" Hahaha. I think by that she meant not only all the elevators on the ship, but you know, in the world.

I loved this one from Plane Crazy, an early Disney short I've always been fond of.

16096684830_9edf39730d_o.png

Nana.

16284040915_dd077da1a5_o.png

Back up to Deck 11 for the Sail Away Party!

14755671659_1accffb34e_z.jpg

For some reason I was ADAMANT that we could not miss this party, which is funny because I didn't really have any idea what it was beyond the name of it and that characters were involved. That's certainly enough of an attraction, but you know, there's a lot to do a Disney Cruise and when you first arrive you just want to tackle it all or you want to just sit and relax immediately. I wanted to do these things badly, but I had to experience this party first! Thank God I did because OH MAN.

I called my parents and said goodbye because I was leaving forever/dying and wanted to let them know I loved them. What I mean by that is, I was about to lose phone service for 3 days and it's a nice thing to do to check in with your parents before that happens. It's also just really fun to text everyone in your phone and tell them that you can not talk the next three days because you will be "at sea."

I got a good spot in the front for the Sail Away Party, but Jess wanted to go up on the balcony to take pictures so we split up.

15682506858_47e8c748ed_o.png

I suggest being front and center in the action because it was just SO EXCITING!!!!!!

14919462936_f44e329f09_o.jpg

Oh man.

I am telling you, if you enjoy Disney characters at ALL, do not miss this party.

It is the most ridiculous thing ever and by that I mean, the characters literally moon you. They just bend over and let it all go. If you don't want to see Daisy literally bend over and shake her tailfeather, Disney Cruise Line is simply not for you.

14755905417_367fb44165_o.jpg

I rest my case.

In general, the characters just dance like CRAZY to songs like the YMCA. It's so, so funny. If Goofy doing the YMCA is on your bucket list, look no further than Disney Cruise Line.

Check out how high Mickey can kick!

14755772439_d5c5c27db9_o.jpg

YOU GO MICKEY.

The show actually begins with entertainment Cast Members, including the Head Announcer Lady who was awesome.

15684258907_f900407e56_o.png

I think she was Australian (based on her accent) and she was the host/announcer of a lot of things, like even once we got to Castway Cay, we heard her voice a lot. Just coming from the ether basically... she was everywhere. She was very charismatic and I had no doubt why they cast her! Really all the CMs at the start of the show were full of energy and just got you SO EXCITED for this cruise!

15682695110_162dfec563_o.png

The show is really just like this burst of fun and energy, taking you away from your work and school life and getting you ready to PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

15247767774_5765270c7a_o.png

APRIL 10, 2014
Day 4, Part 4 In Which We SAIL AWAY WITH MICKEY AND THE GANG!!!!!!!!!​

DAISY IS SO HOT AND FANCY.
11972902063_55e9653dd8_o.png

15250376993_2f2996458f_o.png

Look at the guy next to her too. YAAAASSSS work!!

15682510128_7ff0c20bfc_o.png

Isn't love grand?

15684260337_be5fdcee1e_o.png

15247767444_abdc179eb3_o.png

Time for the conga line WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

15684260097_79f921393f_o.png

Have you ever been at a party, like maybe a wedding or something with a big dance floor and a DJ/band, where at some point everyone just gets STUPID? That was this show.

This dude behind Minnie.

15869390782_26932be2b0_o.png

Look at him. This is the best day of his life.

15250376033_a9dcb1f817_o.png

15247766854_fd7f2d5353_o.png

I just love all the action shots so much. I can not get enough.

15250375813_258f1bed0b_o.png

15684259507_1714d9ec33_o.png

Here goes Mickey kickin' that leg again.

15682695340_0aefbc7a30_o.png

Praising Jesus

15869390252_daed7a4921_o.png

Giddy UP!

15870024875_7f1bd0c9b5_o.png

15250376233_1902444321_o.png

Of course, we did literally SAIL AWAY during the accurately named Sail Away Party, and it was just so exciting! They really go all out with this and make it feel like SUCH a big deal. Having never even been on a cruise before, it was just so cool to me! I had an absolute blast and was SO happy that we didn't miss this show. If it's your first cruise, you HAVE TO see it. It will just pump you up even more than you already are. They really make it seem like you are embarking on what will be the most fun, silly, and ridiculously exciting adventure of your life. I loved it.

15844216226_ae7a466a12_o.png

15870024695_6ac674f3ea_o.png

After the party, Jess and I found each other and got some Eye Scream. Then it was time for exploring the ship even more. It was so fun going down every hall and not knowing what amazing Disney memory come to life awaited you!

For instance... when you love Disney and you turn the corner and see this...

16097910739_ba3337e00e_o.png

Tears.

15661623644_7fa86b389a_o.png

It's the Walt Disney Theatre, home of The Golden Mickeys!

16284041635_0ecf0d4edc_b.jpg

16097912079_118073a70c_z.jpg

The Golden Mickeys was by FAR the best show out of the three we saw while onboard and anyone who doesn't think so is high, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

16282257391_23edaf1bac_z.jpg

15661624854_974348a90b_z.jpg

Go on a Disney Cruise... take a selfie with Walt Disney.

15661623704_5ca3acdea7_o.png

So THAT's crossed off the ol' bucket list.

I want this castle painting in my home.

16098181817_a584253bdc_o.png

But really I said that about 90% of the art on this cruise. Including the entire ship which is itself a work of art. I just basically want the ship.

Sounds like an awesome start to your trip. When the pools were half closed for the show was the Aqua Duck still open?

Love :love: Mickey's moves!

Wow, what an experience to finally get on a cruise! I'm so excited to read the rest of this!

Oooh, unlimited Ice Cream? THAT could be dangerous.

OK that's it. All announcements henceforth should be preceded by When You Wish Upon A Star.

Wow, that sail away party does look like fun. I'm a total sucker for characters just dancing. :dance3:

I'm so glad I found this trip report! We are doing land & sea this April--4 nights at WDW (WL) followed by 4 nights on the Dream. I'm re-thinking some of my plans now, though. We have a brunch ADR at Cape May Cafe on Easter Sunday, then a dinner ADR at Coral Reef. I'm wondering if we should eat at the Wave for breakfast after church instead, and just eat off the carts at Epcot for lunch/dinner?

Wow. Disney cruise - NEED. Looks like a BLAST! I cracked up at the Jack/Rose/safety drill/so you'll be Rose and not Jack part:rotfl2:!

Love it! Can't wait to read the rest!!!

Hi Lia! :wave2:

So glad I found your trip report! I followed that fateful report when you were stuck in WDW! I'm so excited to read about your trip, as I, too, am headed to WDW on my BIRTHDAY! I'm so excited to celebrate the big 3-5 with the mouse! I am also interested in hearing about your cruise! My DH and I did our first Disney cruise aboard the Fantasy in October, and we're hooked! We have another one booked in November!

Looking forward to warming up with a little Disney sunshine, and a break from the weather here in snowy NJ (as you well know I'm sure!).

Can't wait!

Wow! I can just feel your excitement! I have experienced many "sail-aways" but you had me jumping out of my skin. Loving all of the updates.

Sounds like an awesome start to your trip. When the pools were half closed for the show was the Aqua Duck still open?

Love :love: Mickey's moves!

Hmmmm I want to say yes because the Aqua Duck does not empty out into a pool, it has it's own little landing area away from the pools.

I'm so glad I found this trip report! We are doing land & sea this April--4 nights at WDW (WL) followed by 4 nights on the Dream. I'm re-thinking some of my plans now, though. We have a brunch ADR at Cape May Cafe on Easter Sunday, then a dinner ADR at Coral Reef. I'm wondering if we should eat at the Wave for breakfast after church instead, and just eat off the carts at Epcot for lunch/dinner?

I would keep the Cape May Cafe brunch, that sounds really nice. I would skip the dinner ADR though and eat at the booths in Epcot from the time you get hungry til whenever.

APRIL 10, 2014
Day 4, Part 5 In Which We Are In THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN.

Back to our favorite corridor!

16282257521_9fc68fb8c2_z.jpg

I highly suggest taking a rest in the portholes. Chillllliiiiinnnnn

16098182757_d6e7518bd0_z.jpg

Too hot and fancy for my own good!

15664178553_c4935f2750_z.jpg

I love the rough style of the art here. I just want it ALL.

16097912349_62e11c6d24_b.jpg

15661625144_9a27a01fb2_z.jpg

Here is the famous chandalier in the lobby atrium. I'm so happy Jess's camera is fancy enough to capture the beauty!

16097912099_265c0c06a8_b.jpg

I bet Donald is so thrilled that there's a statue of him in the atrium and not Mickey!

14755842398_30e753e4bd_o.jpg

Looking down on the lobby

16097008050_a46be1c366_o.png

Like most singers in 2014, that woman mostly sang pop music and Let It Go. She was good, I enjoyed it in passing but we never hung out or anything. There was an AWESOME band on the ship though, but that is a story for our last night!

15665016504_b2dc910658_o.png

16097008030_6ef6dfe1ea_o.png

As you can see, the Character Greetings are listed on screens around the lobby (and maybe on other decks? I can't remember)

15661623764_70e9239fe9_o.png

This was convenient cause guess what? Some of these are not listed in the Navigator (and maybe vice versa? There's going to be a lot of "and maybes" in this report, guys). The Navigator is a couple pages you get every night listing everything going on the next day on the entire cruise, and it's the best. We looked at it to plan out our day ahead of time, which I HIGHLY suggest. It's the same as Disney World. Really, unless you're one of the people who just wants to relax by the pool the whole time, plan out your day activity by activity via the Navigator so that you don't miss anything you want to do/see. We did this and still didn't get to do everything, but having a schedule instead of just being like "Heyyy whatever I'm on vacation!" proved to be just as valuable as it is in Disney World.

Another thing similar to WDW: Cinderella Mosiacs! (Seamless segue, I know)

15661706394_cdc46cd77f_z.jpg

16096766650_904c58af4d_z.jpg

Then we went outside... can't remember which deck, but it doesn't matter because when you are sailing out into the ocean, EVERY VIEW FROM EVERY DECK IS THE COOLEST.

16098234339_ffc50c7ec8_o.png

Seriously, maybe my favorite thing about the entire cruise was that we were in THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN. I just kept saying it, in awe the whole time. I could not get over it. I know that's kind of a given when you board a ship, but listen, it's not every day I walk outside and see nothing but the big ol' blue. Priceless.

Get ready cause Lia's #1 Cruise Regret is: not enjoying the view more often! On my next cruise, I am seriously parking my behind on an outer deck and just watching the waves go by.

16096833748_869bd3a1cf_o.png

16098234419_ff91fe31d3_o.png

Amazing, amazing, amazing to me.

The last thing we checked out before heading back to the stateroom was the art gallery. GAH.

16101302319_c7545dbc51_o.png

Like in the Art of Disney stores at WDW, I wanted EVERYTHING.

I mean...

16101580877_05738e4680_o.png

Obsessed.

I'm not the biggest Jungle Book fan but I LOVED this piece.

16099899928_dd7c5516b7_o.png

The rootinest tootinest cowboy in the wild wild west!

15667567853_c07a3391a5_o.png

Aaaand the greatest piece of art that has ever existed, ever.

16285650361_6104d5fc13_o.png

Take that, Mona Lisa.

It was time to get ready for our show and dinner rotation, so we headed back to the room and got a little gussied up.

14942454105_20af244a9b_o.jpg

You can choose the 6:30 dinner seating and 8:00 show or vice versa. We chose to see the show at 6:30 and then do dinner. I prefer this one because that means you are never in a rush at dinner. It's better to do the show first because it always ends at the set time and you'll never be late for dinner, versus maybe wanting to chill awhile at the dinner table and having your serving team tell you you're gonna miss the show.

16286608362_5b95d3793c_z.jpg

This was really exciting. I couldn't decide what I was more pumped for: the unlimited food or the THREE Disney themed "broadway style" shows! I live right outside New York City and am a huge broadway fan, like to the point where I will buy a broadway ticket over... you know... food and stuff. I wasn't really expecting the shows to be on that level because if you know broadway, you know nothing is on that level. However, Disney makes sure the quality of everything they do is way up there, so I was certainly expecting some excellence.

16287430945_61d5ce23e0_z.jpg

Last edited:
With so much to do, the sea view can be overlooked (pardon the pun). I totally agree though there is nothing better, or more relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter