A week with no ADRs -- am I nuts?

kirstiebird

Mouseketeer
I am traveling alone with dd7 and ds8 in March for 7 nights. This will be their 4th trip -- first in 2.5 years -- they've done every character meal at least twice. To say dd eats like a bird would be generous and ds doesn't care what he eats (the giant straws of colored sugar from the candy store on main street would be his first choice).

This is a last minute trip and budget is MUCH more of an issue this time, but also, I have always felt like a monster commando hustling the children between our fabulous adr's and not really allowing them to be spontaneous about the parks we visit, etc...

This trip I have only one ADR -- crystal palace for breakfast on my daughter's birthday.

Would you plan more? Do you think I will be able to get into non-character ts meals if the desire arises? Is it too boring to go without more planned character meals? I know my only problem is that I have spoiled them on prior trips, but don't want the "economy" to be too much a bummer (and I know that any day at wdw is a blessing) - just looking for re-assurance and any ideas for new & less expensive experiences to make our trip and her birthday special, but in a new way (e.g., campfire with chip & dale, main street barbershop hair glitter).

Thank you in advance for any ideas & advice!

If you want to take your kids to TS meals, make ADRs. At least if you have to pull them away you'll KNOW they'll get to eat where you choose. Hoping for a seat by walk up can be really disappointing, esp to a hungry, didn't want to stop riding kid on vacation.

If your budget is tight and you don't want to make ADRs simply do CS this trip. No shame or harm in that.

This is my 3rd trip to WDW since 2002 -- this is the FIRST time we've done ADRs. You have to be VERY flexible if you don't have them since there may or may not be tables available for you -- be prepared for that. But it's definitely doable!!!!!!!

I'd recommend that you make the ADRs...you can always cancel them! We had an 8 day trip with only a couple ADRs and I learned quickly that I'd made a mistake. After three days of dinner time dilemmas (The familiar: "What do you want to eat?" and "I don't know, what do you want to eat?" :sad2: ) and dinner time wanderings, I started making ADRs for the rest of the trip. Without the ADRs, you might also get tired of the CS food (unless you're hanging out at Epcot).

I'd go with CS, walk-up's at off times, and/or TS restaurants that don't take ADR's. If your daughter barely eats and your son is flexible, why waste the money & time on big meals?

If you are seeking a sit down meal, head over to Beaches & Cream at the BCR either right at opening (11am??) or mid afternoon. if you are at DAK, head over to the Rainforest Cafe.

You can also always head up to a TS restaurant & see if they are taking walk-ups. Again, try during off-times. Just be prepared to go with CS if they are booked.

You can certainly find a ton of great CS places. We are planning to do mostly CS on our next trip as well, just to save $$. We are looking forward to this because there are alot of great CS places to choose from!

You're my hero! If more of us refused to do the ADR thing, perhaps some sanity would return. Well, that and getting rid of the DDP. Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but hope springs eternal.

Thank you! I love DIS'ers! I am going to add a few more ADR's to be safe and plan be flexible about them (I do love to eat the Plaza, even if the kids just want ice cream sundaes) -- but I want to ride the rides and see the sights this time. We eat enough at home! And... there is a lot to be said about heading to Epcot late afternoon and grazing around the world with cocktail(s) while the children eat McDonalds fries! I'll let you know how type-A, over-scheduled, commando-mom's very first free-wheeling trip turns out! (yes, I'll get the valium refilled before-hand)

If you have time before you go, check out the menus on allears for the counter service restaurants in the parks and that way you will have a better idea of where you might want to hit for your "picky" one. There is such great variety even with the CS in each park, and such great themes. I think kids would not even know you were not in a TS, and might even be more relaxed in a more kid friendly environment. Have a great trip!:) Oh, one good TS, if you want another for MK is the Plaza. Great milkshakes for the kids(the are huge and could actually split one) and good grilled cheese. And wonderful options for mom-I love the chicken and strawberry salad.:goodvibes

I dont think so....we just came back after travelling with a 6 and 12 year old and believe it or not CS places were better for them than the TS places...with the exception of breakfast. THey loved having a nice TS breakfast character meal to start the day.

When we take our nieces again that is exactly what I am going to do, TS character meals every day and wing it for lunch and dinner...not DH and my usually style but with kids you do whatever is easier!

I'm gonna have a diffrent opionen - we hardley ever make ADR's!! We have never had to much prob. go early / late for lunch or early / late for dinner!!

We usually have either no or very few ADR's for our WDW vacations and we're usually there for at least 2 weeks at a time. :)

We do usually go offsite for shopping and visit other parks so we dine off WDW property too. We've never used the DDP because I just don't think it would work for us. Having only a few ADR's lets us be more spontanious and relaxed, I think. :goodvibes

You're my hero! If more of us refused to do the ADR thing, perhaps some sanity would return. Well, that and getting rid of the DDP. Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but hope springs eternal.

Why would you get rid of DDP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter