A Week of Om Nom Noms! - Sept. 2014 Dining Report (w/ F&W) - COMPLETED

I never got around to trying one of those! Actually, there are many snacks I didn't try because I just love the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel. I so wish I could have one right now!

Great updates!
One of the things I kept meaning to try is the sweet cream cheese pretzel, but it never happened. :headache: Next time for sure!

Enjoying your report! I thought the chicken fried chicken sounded good until I saw a pic of it ;) Not very appetizing!
It wasn't pretty at all, that's for sure. But it didn't taste as bad as it looks, I promise!! :cutie:

Gaston's Tavern
Magic Kingdom

Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014
Dinner

As the evening progressed, I realized my fatal mistake with the cake cup... I was TOO FULL TO EAT ANY MNSSHP PARTY SNACKS. :crazy2: In fact, I couldn't handle the idea of putting a fork in my mouth until around 11pm. At that point, many places had already closed up. However, I did see that Gaston's was still serving, and I'd been curious about this carnivorous delight ever since the place opened...

20140921_231908.jpg

Roasted Pork Shank

I was shocked at how SALTY the rub on this was. The meat was tender and juicy and delicious, but the crispy outside was a salt lick, seriously. I could feel my ankles swelling as I ate it! But, like a good girl, I ate the whole thing. Of course. :lmao: I'm glad that I tried it, but from now on I will stick to my beloved turkey legs. :p

Ooh I'm IN! I can not believe we were at the same place at the same time and didn't meet up! That turkey sandwich looks great - I thought about it a couple of times and chickened out. I think I should have gone for it!

The Queen of Hearts dessert is way too cute!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

oooh cant wait to see the rest! :coffee:
Hi there! Welcome! :wave2:

Ooh I'm IN! I can not believe we were at the same place at the same time and didn't meet up! That turkey sandwich looks great - I thought about it a couple of times and chickened out. I think I should have gone for it!
We likely didn't meet up because while you were out running and avoiding snakes, my butt was in bed! :lmao:

The Queen of Hearts dessert is way too cute!
It really was, I love the look of it! I just know now for next to time share that baby with somebody. Or ask if I can get a lid for the cup so I can eat the second half later. :thumbsup2

Ohana
Polynesian Village Resort

Sunday, Sept. 22, 2014
Dinner

After a long day at the "Dark Side" to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I was super-duper hungry! Good thing I had dinner already booked, and I was so ready when I arrived! Of course I was early, as I always am for ADRs. But it wasn't terribly long after I checked-in that I was lead to a table by the windows overlooking the Magic Kingdom. And I knew I'd still be there for Wishes. Pixie dust, yay! :goodvibes

Onto the yums! Apologies in advance for how dark these are. As you'll see as this report progresses, my phone's camera doesn't love the low lighting in most restaurants, and I hate using a flash and try to avoid it when I can.

20140922_204639.jpg

Island Sunrise. Or Island Breeze. Or something.

Okay, so I don't remember what my frozen slushie cocktail was called, but it was delicious, okay!

20140922_204857.jpg

See? DEEEEE-licious!

20140922_201636.jpg

Ohana Welcome Bread.

Good, but I was careful to only eat a little bit. Have to save room for the good stuff!

20140922_202424.jpg

Lettuce Wraps.

Like many others, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Took one or two bites and pushed it away.

20140922_202912.jpg

Pork Fried Dumplings & Honey Coriander Chicken Wings.

Now THIS is more like it! YUM! These "appetizers" are my favorite part of the whole meal!

20140922_204940.jpg

Lo Mein Noodles (Tossed in peanut sauce with pineapple) and Stir-Fried Vegetables.

I love these noodles! Love love love! I had to be very careful not to eat them ALL before the meat skewers came. As for the vegetables, I just picked out all the delicious mushrooms and ate those by themselves. ;)

20140922_205002.jpg

Asian Barbequed Pork Loin.

This was actually pretty inconsistent. One piece inside was just very very slightly pink and totally juicy and yummy. The other was white and dry. So I wanted to take a chance on getting more yummy pieces so I asked for more pork, but it never came. :confused3

20140922_205659.jpg

Marinated Sirloin Steak.

This was good! I'm a big steak girl, and I'm pretty picky about it. It wsn't overcooked at all, it fact was pretty much a perfect medium rare.

20140922_205740.jpg

Okay, so my camera makes this look WAY darker red that it was. It looks pretty rare here, but I promise, it was more medium rare. And perrrfect. I ate, like, 3-4 servings of it. I'm such a fatty. :rotfl:

20140922_212535.jpg

And because I'm a fatty, I had to order more dumplings and wings and noodles!

PSX_20140922_225754.jpg

Ohana Bread Pudding - Served a la mode with Bananas, vanilla ice cream and Caramel Sauce.

God, I love this stuff. Sadly, I was so full there was no way I was finishing it off. But I did put a healthy dent in it, then slowly rolled myself back to Pop Century for the night! :rotfl:

Ohana
Polynesian Village Resort

Sunday, Sept. 22, 2014
Dinner

After a long day at the "Dark Side" to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I was super-duper hungry! Good thing I had dinner already booked, and I was so ready when I arrived! Of course I was early, as I always am for ADRs. But it wasn't terribly long after I checked-in that I was lead to a table by the windows overlooking the Magic Kingdom. And I knew I'd still be there for Wishes. Pixie dust, yay! :goodvibes

Onto the yums! Apologies in advance for how dark these are. As you'll see as this report progresses, my phone's camera doesn't love the low lighting in most restaurants, and I hate using a flash and try to avoid it when I can.

20140922_204639.jpg

Island Sunrise. Or Island Breeze. Or something.

Okay, so I don't remember what my frozen slushie cocktail was called, but it was delicious, okay!

20140922_204857.jpg

See? DEEEEE-licious!

20140922_201636.jpg

Ohana Welcome Bread.

Good, but I was careful to only eat a little bit. Have to save room for the good stuff!

20140922_202424.jpg

Lettuce Wraps.

Like many others, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Took one or two bites and pushed it away.

20140922_202912.jpg

Pork Fried Dumplings & Honey Coriander Chicken Wings.

Now THIS is more like it! YUM! These "appetizers" are my favorite part of the whole meal!

20140922_204940.jpg

Lo Mein Noodles (Tossed in peanut sauce with pineapple) and Stir-Fried Vegetables.

I love these noodles! Love love love! I had to be very careful not to eat them ALL before the meat skewers came. As for the vegetables, I just picked out all the delicious mushrooms and ate those by themselves. ;)

20140922_205002.jpg

Asian Barbequed Pork Loin.

This was actually pretty inconsistent. One piece inside was just very very slightly pink and totally juicy and yummy. The other was white and dry. So I wanted to take a chance on getting more yummy pieces so I asked for more pork, but it never came. :confused3

20140922_205659.jpg

Marinated Sirloin Steak.

This was good! I'm a big steak girl, and I'm pretty picky about it. It wsn't overcooked at all, it fact was pretty much a perfect medium rare.

20140922_205740.jpg

Okay, so my camera makes this look WAY darker red that it was. It looks pretty rare here, but I promise, it was more medium rare. And perrrfect. I ate, like, 3-4 servings of it. I'm such a fatty. :rotfl:

20140922_212535.jpg

And because I'm a fatty, I had to order more dumplings and wings and noodles!

PSX_20140922_225754.jpg

Ohana Bread Pudding - Served a la mode with Bananas, vanilla ice cream and Caramel Sauce.

God, I love this stuff. Sadly, I was so full there was no way I was finishing it off. But I did put a healthy dent in it, then slowly rolled myself back to Pop Century for the night! :rotfl:

This was one I ended up canceling. I'm not sorry I did because it just didn't work into our trip but those noodles and bread pudding still look amazing!

Nice update! Lots of meat! :banana:

We finally tried the pork shank from Gaston's on our last trip...

Ours didn't have that 'crust' on it yours does - I like the look of yours better. Plus I like salt almost as much as meat! :blush: DD and I both are pork fanatics and even though we like the turkey leg, this was much more up our alley. I swear it weighed 3 lbs!

We haven't been to O'hana in years, since they traded the Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes for those noodles. I thought it was just okay back then, but you sold it and we might have to go back next trip. I do adore that bread pudding!

Can't WAIT to read more! :cool1:

This was one I ended up canceling. I'm not sorry I did because it just didn't work into our trip but those noodles and bread pudding still look amazing!
Oh, man. You can't PAY me to cancel an Ohana booking. :lmao: You should try it next time, it's delish!!

Nice update! Lots of meat! :banana:

We finally tried the pork shank from Gaston's on our last trip...

Ours didn't have that 'crust' on it yours does - I like the look of yours better. Plus I like salt almost as much as meat! :blush: DD and I both are pork fanatics and even though we like the turkey leg, this was much more up our alley. I swear it weighed 3 lbs!

We haven't been to O'hana in years, since they traded the Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes for those noodles. I thought it was just okay back then, but you sold it and we might have to go back next trip. I do adore that bread pudding!

Can't WAIT to read more! :cool1:
Okay, now YOUR pork shank looks AMAZING! Much more to my taste! Maybe... maybe... I'll give it another try. Though my next visit to Gaston's, I was going to try that cinnamon roll. Hmm! Decisions, decisions! :confused: :rotfl:

I highly recommend a return-trip to Ohana, especially if you have a carnivorous appetite! It's one of my Must-Do restaurants anytime I'm at WDW! :goodvibes

That pork shank sounds like to much for me with all the salt:worried: Your Ohana review was wonderful. I am kind of excited to try the lettuce wraps but do not have high hopes for them. Kind of unusual to get medium rare steak at Ohana for us, it's normally burned :rotfl: Hoping for medium rare in Dec.

That pork shank sounds like to much for me with all the salt:worried: Your Ohana review was wonderful. I am kind of excited to try the lettuce wraps but do not have high hopes for them. Kind of unusual to get medium rare steak at Ohana for us, it's normally burned :rotfl: Hoping for medium rare in Dec.
yeah, I was surprised by the salt. But it was delicious otherwise, so I may give it another chance, especially after seeing the pic that ShannonMB posted a couple posts up. That would look DELICIOUS. :goodvibes

The steak at Ohana really was perfectly cooked to medium rare temperature, and I had several rounds of it. Hopefully you won't be disappointed! :thumbsup2

Um....I NEED an update on more food and wine!! I just realized I tried a piddly FOUR places!

Sunshine Seasons
Epcot

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014
Breakfast

20140923_095515.jpg

Breakfast Panini: Eggs, bacon, roast pork, and swiss cheese, with a side of breakfast potatoes.

The sandwich was delicious, and really hit the spot! The potatoes were "western" style, with bits of peppers. I hate peppers, so I only took a few bites of these. But the sandwich was just right! :thumbsup2

International Food & Wine Festival Booths
Epcot

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014

SCOTLAND
20140923_130629-1.jpg

Seared sea scallop with spinach-cheddar gratin and crispy bacon! MMM MMM GOOD!

HAWAII
20140923_131234-1.jpg

Kālua Pork Slider with sweet and sour Dole® Pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise.

CANADA
20140923_132030-1.jpg

Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce.

20140923_132217.jpg

Cooked perfectly. SO DELICIOUS. This might have been my favorite item of all that I sampled.

FRANCE
20140923_134816-1.jpg

Tartelette aux escargots: Escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon and parmesan. Also with a La Passion Martini Slush (vodka, Grey Goose Le Citron, cranberry and passion fruit juice).

20140923_135202.jpg

I had never had escargot before and was super curious about it, so I deconstructed the dish so I could see my "french delicacy." (Which was delicious, for the record!)

20140923_135254.jpg

The Slushie was gooooooooood!

ITALY
20140923_141047-1.jpg

Filetto di pollo, con funghi al marsala: Chicken tenderloin, cremini mushrooms, marsala sauce and ciabatta bread.

SINGAPORE
20140923_142834-1.jpg

Seared mahi mahi with jasmine rice and “Singa” sauce.

IRELAND
20140923_133140.jpg

Lobster and seafood Fisherman’s Pie.

GERMANY
20140923_1420340.jpg

Roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll.

CHINA
20140923_144105-1.jpg

Beijing Roasted Duck in Hoisin Sauce, in a steamed bun.

NEW ZEALAND
20140923_152905.jpg

Venison sausage with pickled mushrooms, baby arugula and black currant reduction.

AUSTRALIA
20140923_152210-1.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies.

I'm a big girl, and I still have no idea how managed to eat ALL of that, but I did, and still went to my dinner ADR later that night. :rotfl: The filet from Canada and the lamb from Australia were definitely my favorites. I can't wait to do F&W again sometime! YUM!! :thumbsup2

Coral Reef
Epcot

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014
Dinner

After my day of grazing at Food & Wine Festival booths, I had no idea how I was going to do at dinner, but I was determined! I was seated on the middle teir. I was hoping to be as close to the aquarium windows as possible, so I didn't get quite there, but it was still an okay view...

20140923_190915.jpg

As usual, I started with a cocktail...

20140923_190024.jpg

I remember the name of this one, this time! "The Abyss" Don't ask me what was in it. As far as I'm concerned, it was just made from liquor and happiness.

20140923_190237.jpg

See? Happiness. :cloud9:

20140923_190122.jpg

Bread service.

I told myself I wasn't going to fill up on this, so I just had a bite and then pushed them away... for now.

20140923_191610.jpg

Creamy Crab Dip, with fresh Spinach and Croutons.

I'd originally planned on starting with the Lobster Soup, since I love any kind of seafood bisque. But as hot and humid as it had been, I wasn't really feeling soup, and switched to this at the last minute... and I'm a huge sucker for crab dip! It was absolutely delicious, but I hated the croutons they serve with it. It felt like they were going to break my teeth! Hmm. Oh, what's this? Why, HELLO bread basket that I pushed away earlier! The bread rolls were PERFECT with it. I shouldn't have eaten the whole thing. but I did. (I'm such a fatty! :thumbsup2 )

20140923_1927030.jpg

Lobster and Shrimp Orecchiette Pasta, with White Cheddar Cheese and Asparagus.

I was a bit nervous ordering this dish. On paper, it's EXACTLY the sort of thing I like. But I've read SO many bad reviews of it. One review i read said that it had an after taste that reminded her of the way paint thinner smells. :rolleyes2 But I decided to be brave, and go for it.

PAINT THINNER MUST TASTE DELICIOUS.

Seriously, I loved it. Of course, but this time by stomach was super full, but I didn't even care. I ate every. last. bite! I would never hesitate to order this dish, or visit this restaurant, again. It was wonderful!

Oh wait, I'm on the Dining Plan. I still need to order dessert... TO GO. :rotfl:

20140923_1946480.jpg

Coral Reef Turtle Cheesecake

Not nearly as pretty as when they serve it on a plate... But when I ate this a couple days later upon getting back to my room for the night, it was absolutely DELICIOUS! And really, that's all that matters, right? :cutie:

Love your detailed reviews so far. Thank you!

The queen of hearts cake cup (looks amazing, I'm going to make sure I go get one) Re: the "playing card"...was that edible? It looks so real.

Love your detailed reviews so far. Thank you!

The queen of hearts cake cup (looks amazing, I'm going to make sure I go get one) Re: the "playing card"...was that edible? It looks so real.
It sure was! I think it was just made of fondant, it was pretty tasteless. But totally edible! :thumbsup2

International Food & Wine Festival Booths
Epcot

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014

SCOTLAND
20140923_130629-1.jpg

Seared sea scallop with spinach-cheddar gratin and crispy bacon! MMM MMM GOOD!

HAWAII
20140923_131234-1.jpg

Kālua Pork Slider with sweet and sour Dole® Pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise.

CANADA
20140923_132030-1.jpg

Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce.

20140923_132217.jpg

Cooked perfectly. SO DELICIOUS. This might have been my favorite item of all that I sampled.

FRANCE
20140923_134816-1.jpg

Tartelette aux escargots: Escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon and parmesan. Also with a La Passion Martini Slush (vodka, Grey Goose Le Citron, cranberry and passion fruit juice).

20140923_135202.jpg

I had never had escargot before and was super curious about it, so I deconstructed the dish so I could see my "french delicacy." (Which was delicious, for the record!)

20140923_135254.jpg

The Slushie was gooooooooood!

ITALY
20140923_141047-1.jpg

Filetto di pollo, con funghi al marsala: Chicken tenderloin, cremini mushrooms, marsala sauce and ciabatta bread.

SINGAPORE
20140923_142834-1.jpg

Seared mahi mahi with jasmine rice and “Singa” sauce.

IRELAND
20140923_133140.jpg

Lobster and seafood Fisherman’s Pie.

GERMANY
20140923_1420340.jpg

Roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll.

CHINA
20140923_144105-1.jpg

Beijing Roasted Duck in Hoisin Sauce, in a steamed bun.

NEW ZEALAND
20140923_152905.jpg

Venison sausage with pickled mushrooms, baby arugula and black currant reduction.

AUSTRALIA
20140923_152210-1.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies.

I'm a big girl, and I still have no idea how managed to eat ALL of that, but I did, and still went to my dinner ADR later that night. :rotfl: The filet from Canada and the lamb from Australia were definitely my favorites. I can't want to do F&W again sometime! YUM!! :thumbsup2

Love it!!! Thanks! :) Now see - that was the steak that I thought was still moo-ing....but in fairness yours WAS cooked a bit more than mine. Still good though.

I wanted to try SO many more things here - luckily if we go in April it's with no dining plan and during flower and garden festival. I know it's not quite the same, but still. I'll be eating most meals at Epcot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter