A week in Washington DC - Day 1

Discussion in 'UK Trip Reports Board' started by Claire L, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

Saturday June 13th 2009

Having stayed at the Marriott on Bath Road last night we got up at 6.30am had a small cup of tea and headed down to the lobby to buy our tickets for the Hoppa Bus to get to terminal 3. The bus arrived about 10 minutes later and we were on our way :) Once we were at terminal 3 I made a quick stop in Boots to get Nathan’s shaving foam, that I had forgotten to pack! Then it was time to do the bag drop as we had checked in on line 24 hours before. It was now around 7.30am and I collected the US$ before we headed through to departures. The queue wasn’t too bad and we were soon through and heading towards the CH lounge. As soon as we got inside we handed our travel bags over for safe keeping and went to get our treatments booked in. I had the facial at 9.15am and Nathan had the massage for 9.30am. By now we were hungry so went and sat at the dining area and ordered the full breakfast as it was just gone 8.20am :goodvibes

[​IMG]

We then took time to wander round the various areas of the CH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon 9.15am had approached and I had my lovely facial. Nathan headed off for his massage and after we met up in the Library, were we used the internet. By now it was time to order more food, and we sat by the windows.

[​IMG]

This gave us a good view of the gates.

[​IMG]

And our plane.

[​IMG]

I ordered the smoked salmon and champagne :thumbsup2 Nathan had the bacon buttie and hot chocolate.

[​IMG]

By 11.10am we had eaten and the plane was being called so we got our bags and stocked up on some drinks and sweets.

[​IMG]

Once at the gate we saw we were travelling on Maiden Tokyo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PE cabin was very nice with purple leather.

[​IMG]

Then our journey across the Atlantic began.

[​IMG]

Pre dinner drinks were served and I had the usual vodka and tonic and as Nathan was not driving upon landing had a Stella or two!

[​IMG]

The lunch menu was alright and I tried the curry, quite mild but ok. The Gu pot though was lovely with raspberry flavour in it :worship:

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Claire L

Claire L <font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f

We took quite a wide circle passing over a lot of Canada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we took a slight detour around some clouds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally landing at Dulles roughly on time – right in the distance is the airport.

[​IMG]

Once off we boarded a large vehicle that took us to the main terminal and then as we queued at Immigration we had the most odd Disney moment :confused3 they were playing the music from Illuminations!! :rotfl:Once through Immigration we got our bags and headed through Customs, there was a long line for this :(

Soon we were through and we met by our driver from Execucars. It took about 50 minutes to get to our hotel. Once there we were allocated a park view room, well more like tree view! But it was pleasant even if the beds were just doubles :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After unpacking we ventured out to get dinner and found a nice little diner for some traditional US food. I had the fried mozzarella.

[​IMG]

Nathan had the wings :)

[​IMG]

I then had the chicken with mushroom and ham with cheese sauce.

[​IMG]

Nathan had the chicken and BBQ.

[​IMG]

We washed this down with Bud Light :woohoo: After eating we were feeling tired but took a detour to find the Metro and how much it cost. $7.80 for an all day ticket sounded good value so we decided tomorrow we would try the Metro and go into the main part of DC.

Claire ;)

4. natalielongstaff

natalielongstaff <font color=deeppink>I need a cup of tea and a big

great ! i love your trip reports and im looking forward to this one :thumbsup2

5. wickesy

wickesy <font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y

Great start Claire. We used Execucars in LA and got great service from them.

6. SusanEllen

SusanEllen DIS Veteran

Well, if the rest of your trip is as successful as the food and lodging, you'll be all right. Looking forward to reading about your American Adventure.

7. suzycute

suzycute DIS Veteran

Great start Claire. I would love to visit Washington so will follow your report with interest! :thumbsup2

8. mandymouse

mandymouse <font color=red>If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Moderator

What a great first day. I look forward to your next installment :thumbsup2

9. irongirlof12

irongirlof12 <font color=blue><marquee>Am I the only one who lo

CH lounge looks really relaxing :thumbsup2. off to a fab start, really looking forward to your trip report:)

10. cazzie

cazzie DIS Veteran

The CH lounge looks very nice, looking forward to reading more.

11. UKDEB

UKDEB Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Great photos, as always, Claire. As you know, I adore DC, so I'm interested to hear what you made of it. A week there sounds like bliss. :goodvibes

12. Pinky166

Pinky166 <font color=deeppink>a little on the OCD side<br><

I'm in. Off to read the next one. :thumbsup2

13. cap'njack.

cap'njack. Totally in love with Lisa_C

Great start tou your trip! Looking forward to reading the rest