A Wedding, A Honeymoon, and Lots of Disneyland Dining Updated 7/22

Your food looks amazing, especially that eggplant gnocchi. May have to steal that idea and try and do something similar at home.

Love the idea of all the sweets and not an actual cake. So much better to have lots of options, especially for your group who clearly came with their sweet tooth's.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your special day. Now bring on the disney ; )

After a very successful August 23, we were headed off to Anaheim! We had a car rental, and it took several hours of sorting and packing before we were loaded up to hit the road.

We easily drove the 1.5 hours to Anaheim, stopping once along the way for some Subway, which of course we didn't photograph.

It wasn't long before we arrived to our destination, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel! You may recall that I've never stayed on property, and as for DW, she hadn't stayed on property since she was very young, and then there was only the one choice, the Disneyland Hotel. We were both super excited to experience DL's premier resort as a special treat on our honeymoon.

I was a little worried I would just miss my beloved Hojo the entire time, but I figured YOLO! When else will it feel ok to spend over $400/night for a regular hotel room other than during our honeymoon.

As we drove up, this is what we saw:
IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

We waited our turn in line to enter the valet/check-in area. Although valet parking is nice, I really was shocked that prior to check-in, we'd have to completely give up our vehicle to the valets. There really isn't any good nearby parking, valet or not, so even though we had massive amounts of luggage and road trip items, we had to remove everything we wanted from the car right there in the valet queue.

Because they were busy and it was right around check-in time, there seemed to be plenty of valets but no bell service people. This meant that our 14 items of luggage, baggage and goods were ours to carry, drag and pull into the beautiful lobby of the Grand Californian.

I will admit it was a not-so-magical experience.

I have loved staying on property at WDW, but that is always after flying in and riding the ME shuttle. Having a car at the Grand Californian seemed to be a major inconvenience right off hand.

We really had no wait to check in. The CM who helped us was very excited that we had noted it was our honeymoon on our reservation. She apologized that she had no complimentary upgrade for us, so instead she presented us with this:
dsc04735.jpg

A hand-crafted origami ornament made out of recycled park guides and maps.

She proclaimed it very special, stating they only give out a dozen per day.

We were pretty pleased with our little gift!

Also, our paperwork was presented to us in this envelope:
dsc04734.jpg

We thought this was pretty sweet, too.

So in spite of the inconvenience of losing access to our car so soon after arrival, we were impressed with the hotel.

After getting settled into our rooms and resting a bit, we headed in to DL. Our plan was to ride the Haunted Mansion a couple of times before it closed for refurbishment the next day.

For dinner, we checked one item off our must-do list: our soups in sourdough bread bowls.
dsc04742.jpg

Predictably, DW chose the vegetarian gumbo from the Royal Street Veranda, and as always, she remarked that it is her favorite soup ever.

I chose my routine selection:
dsc04741.jpg

This chowder never disappoints. It is creamy and delicious with a fair amount of clams. I always want more than I get.

We also split a hot chocolate:
dsc04743.jpg

After enjoying our visit with the 999 happy haunts and our quick dinner, we headed back to the hotel for an early bed-time so we could be up for early entry to DCA the next morning.

Coming up next, breakfast from Fiddler Fifer & Practical Café, lunch at Flo's and dinner at Carthay Circle Restaurant, as well as a few hotel pics!

Yeah, it's honeymoon time!!! Don't know if I mentioned it before, but we honeymooned in Disneyland too. We couldn't swing the Grand Californian at the time (or likely now) so we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. It was pre refurb so it was pretty dated, but still fun in a kitchy sort of way (as I'm envisioning HoJo is).

Your sounds and hot chocolate sounds great, but didn't you say this was August ; ) Had to laugh at the non-traditional summer choices of you two.

So lovely...... the dresses, the rings, the flowers, the setting.... sigh!

Congrats! Loving your report. DL is where my DH and I honeymooned (delayed) this past February, also! We are WDW vets, but it was our first trip to DL.

We kept saying we were gonna try the veggie gumbo, but we never got around to it. I guess it just gives us another reason to go back :)

Love DL!! Can't wait for the Carthay Circle review, I have only been to lounge.

Yeah, it's honeymoon time!!! Don't know if I mentioned it before, but we honeymooned in Disneyland too. We couldn't swing the Grand Californian at the time (or likely now) so we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. It was pre refurb so it was pretty dated, but still fun in a kitchy sort of way (as I'm envisioning HoJo is).

Your sounds and hot chocolate sounds great, but didn't you say this was August ; ) Had to laugh at the non-traditional summer choices of you two.

Yahoo! After another bit of a delay (what can I say?!!! we were in WDW!), I'm really going to get moving on this. That is so awesome that you, too, honeymooned in DL! It always tells me something about a person when a person spends their honeymoon at Disney. I would love to stay at the DL hotel. In fact, I wondered if I might have enjoyed that more than Grand Californian because I do tend to be a traditionalist, but I partially thought that the proximity to DCA would make the GC worth it. It really was nice having that special little entrance and being so close.

As far as our soup and hot drinks are concerned...we have these certain things that we *always* want to eat when we go to DL, and the gumbo and clam chowder are two of those things. This particular eve, we weren't totally heat-stroked yet, since we had just arrived and hadn't been in the parks all day. It was also a cooler afternoon, so we figured we'd better eat those soups! During one trip, we ate them for lunch around 1 pm in the summer on a day that reached above 90. We were sitting there at those little round tables by the Pirate's queue just baking away as we ate our hot soup. That day we drank ice water, though. It seemed alright in the moment, but pretty much as soon as we finished, we realized how overheated we were and we had to go back to the hotel for a cool-off (but not before we had to stop halfway out of the park to chill in the Opera House with Mr. Lincoln).

So lovely...... the dresses, the rings, the flowers, the setting.... sigh!

Thank you so much! We loved our day!

Congrats! Loving your report. DL is where my DH and I honeymooned (delayed) this past February, also! We are WDW vets, but it was our first trip to DL.

We kept saying we were gonna try the veggie gumbo, but we never got around to it. I guess it just gives us another reason to go back :)

Yes you have a good reason to go back now! That veggie gumbo is apparently something quite special! I hope you loved your first DL trip. It is definitely different than WDW, and unique and special in its own way. To me, there are distinct pros to visiting both coasts, and the two destinations almost cannot be compared. Congratulations on your recent marriage!

Love DL!! Can't wait for the Carthay Circle review, I have only been to lounge.

It was good, and I'm glad we experienced it, but I'd say Napa Rose is definitely my choice of the two signature locations. Sadly, it was closed during our honeymoon, but hopefully will be open during our one-year wedding anniversary trip, which is coming up here pretty soon! :love:

Hello everyone! I feel like I totally abandoned my baby here by leaving this thread for so long. Oh there has been more house drama, but I'm still committed to continuing and finishing this dining review!

After thoroughly enjoying our first (hot) dinner of our honeymoon at DL, we retired to our rooms early to rest up for early entry to DCA.

We started the morning of our first full day in our room with coffee as well as some remaining bottled water from our welcome gifts for our wedding guests:
bottle.jpg

I just love how these turned out!

After catching some popular attractions with little to no waiting at DCA, we were hungry. We still wanted to stick with something light, though, because we knew we had a favorite lunch coming up (Flo's), as well as a very exciting dinner (Carthay Circle).

We decided to try out a wrap from the Fiddler Fifer and Practical Café:
breakfast.jpg

This had egg whites and spinach, as well as some sort of cheese in a whole wheat wrap.

This was not something I ever need to have again. It wasn't awful; it just wasn't good or interesting either. DP and I split this and she agreed.

We also shared a latte and vitamin water:
breakfast 2.jpg

By far the best part of breakfast.

I continue to feel like DCA has very poor breakfast options. The egg sandwiches at the Boudin Bakery down in the Pacific Wharf aren't great either, and even though we like Flo's, we feel like those options are rather limited for vegetarians. I'd love to see a good quick-service breakfast at DCA someday...or even a nice, quick table service place.

Even though it was an underwhelming start to the day, we had two very exciting and yummy meals ahead of us, as well as a pretty cute snack!

Welcome back! Hope everything is going ok with the house,

So sad DL like WDW doesn't have good quick service breakfast items. Sans a cupcake for breakfast options are pretty sad.

Can't wait to see what your lunch and dinner turn out to be

After enjoying a nice morning at the park and a very efficient use of our early entry time there, we were starved by lunch time! After all, that measly little wrap we split hardly got us started.

We knew exactly where we were going, to our favorite quick service place in DCA, Flo's V-8 Café.

Such great theming, even all the way down to the jukebox:
flos 2.jpg

I grabbed a table while DP waited for our food.
flos 5.jpg
I just love the views.

Although we were both really hungry, we also wanted to save ourselves for dinner, so we decided to split the veggie tater bake and an additional side item.
flos 1.jpg

I could be wrong, but I feel like this used to come with two sides, plus a roll. This time, it was served with just one side. Even though the dish is made with mashed potatoes, we chose mashed potatoes, since this is DP's favorite food.

I believe they changed the recipe a bit since last time. It is still the seasoned boca crumbles underneath with a layer of mashed potatoes and cheese, but the mashed potatoes were different. The very first year this restaurant was opened, the potatoes seemed more instant. They were smooth and whipped (which is fine with me). The next time we went back, they seemed to be making homestyle chunky mashed potatoes (which was fine with me), but these were very dry and not quite right. This veggie tater back was by far the most evolved and the best. The potatoes were redskin mashed potatoes, and they were seasoned and moistened perfectly. There is still the slice of cheese melted overtop, which tastes like cheddar. Everything, including the chive-seasoned roll, was really good.

For our additional side, we chose cole slaw, both wanting a veggie but not wanting something hot, since it was a warm day:
flos 3.jpg

This is a vinegar based coleslaw, and if you know that going in, there is nothing to be disappointed about. It was very good, nice and light and cool.

We were completely satisfied with our split meal and time in the air conditioned restaurant. After seeing a couple more things in the park, we headed back to our hotel for some swimming and to clean up for dinner.

Up next, Carthay Circle.

Welcome back! Hope everything is going ok with the house,

So sad DL like WDW doesn't have good quick service breakfast items. Sans a cupcake for breakfast options are pretty sad.

Can't wait to see what your lunch and dinner turn out to be

I agree with you about this...sometimes a cupcake for breakfast is the best choice (and a great one!). I really do think DL offers pretty good quick service breakfast (and sit-down) options. I love Carnation Café (table service), because the portions are not huge and the entire experience is usually pretty fast. I also really like Jolly Holiday Bakery and the Riverbelle Terrace. In DCA, other than Flo's, they have choices, but they are sorely disappointing. I understand that everyone loves their Starbucks, but I wish the baked items and food choices there were provided by the parks, rather than by Starbucks. The food just isn't anything worth eating, based on the few things I've had there.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the breakfast sandwiches at the Pacific Wharf Café are so tasteless. Their lunch is so good!

Next time, we'll just stick to granola bars and bagels in the room. I'd rather save myself for popcorn, pickles and ice cream anyway!

The house stuff is a nightmare! I need to escape into this review. I'm sure it will all turn out just fine, but it has been agonizing for sure. Someone described ours as "a good problem to have," so I'm trying to remain positive. :)

Subscribing to follow along on your Disneymoon adventure!! :goodvibes

We're planning our own Disneymoon (to WDW, though!) and wedding right now so I'm ALL IN for wedding stuff AND honeymoon stuff!!

Your wedding looks ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and I love that you included all the little details like your water bottles and your signature cocktails! I read wedding blogs (and magazines) almost as obsessively as I read Disney blogs, so I loved hearing all about your wedding! Congratulations to you and your DW!!

Just caught up on your review! Love the burlap touches at your wedding. Hope all is working out on the house front. Can't wait to read more!

Ok non-veggie girl has gotta ask what the heck is a boca crumb? Too bad the potatoes weren't up to par. Instant potatoes should be banned from everywhere.

Subscribing to follow along on your Disneymoon adventure!! :goodvibes

We're planning our own Disneymoon (to WDW, though!) and wedding right now so I'm ALL IN for wedding stuff AND honeymoon stuff!!

Your wedding looks ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and I love that you included all the little details like your water bottles and your signature cocktails! I read wedding blogs (and magazines) almost as obsessively as I read Disney blogs, so I loved hearing all about your wedding! Congratulations to you and your DW!!

Congratulations! When is your wedding? I think Disney is the best place for honeymoons! Thank you so much!

Just caught up on your review! Love the burlap touches at your wedding. Hope all is working out on the house front. Can't wait to read more!

Hi. :wave2: Thanks. I love the rustic look of burlap. So glad that came back in style! Well the house situation is not anywhere near resolved, but it's nothing to cry about either. Just taking it day by day and thinking about Disney. :tink:

Ok non-veggie girl has gotta ask what the heck is a boca crumb? Too bad the potatoes weren't up to par. Instant potatoes should be banned from everywhere.

Boca is a brand of meatless products (like Boca burgers). You can buy them in the freezer section at most grocery stores. The crumbles are a seasoned, hamburger-like form of textured vegetable protein. So the veggie tater back is like a shepherd's pie for vegetarians. Personally I think the Morningstar Farms crumbles are better (this is what we buy to use in cooking at home), but Flo's really does season and serve this quite well. I generally have mixed feelings about adding meat substitute to meals in restaurants, but it's so rare that it happens that it is just generally exciting. :hippie:

Just to clarify...I think the potatoes at Flo's *used* to be instant. Now they seem like authentic mashed potatoes, not instant. (I really am not sure what they are. DP prefers real potatoes to instant, but personally, I enjoy instant mashed potatoes from time to time. So powdery and smooth lol.)

Congratulations, stunning dresses, beautiful rings, amazing drinks and food looks fab!!

Only thing missing is a photo of your shoes (I can see a peak of them as you sit in the bar pre-wedding). Can't wait for the rest :)

Congratulations, stunning dresses, beautiful rings, amazing drinks and food looks fab!!

Only thing missing is a photo of your shoes (I can see a peak of them as you sit in the bar pre-wedding). Can't wait for the rest :)

Here they are chocolateMinnie!
shoes.jpg

The ones on the left were mine. I got really excited when I saw these shoes, because they aren't something I'd ever wear. They are gold and are covered in rhinestones (and the heel was the perfect length for my custom length dress which was ordered BEFORE I chose my shoes). I changed my jewelry choice based on the tone of these shoes. DP decided to go with something she felt would be more comfortable. Her shoes were a crocheted fabric on top in a nude. They were more suitable for her dress. Ironically, my shoes ended up being way more comfortable, because they buckled onto my feet. Her shoes were unstable, and her heel flapped when she walked. This required a shoe (and dressing) change for dancing! Not to worry...that meant she got to have two outfits for wedding day! :dancer:

Thank you so much for the compliments. We loved how the day turned out. :wave:

We walked back in to DCA from the private entrance at the Grand Californian, feeling totally refreshed and excited for our dinner. The last time we were at DL, we'd had a fabulous meal at Napa Rose. You can read all about that here: 2013 Dining Review. We were stoked to come back for a meal there during our honeymoon, only sadly, that restaurant was closed most of the summer for a major refurbishment. Since that restaurant was closed, we decided to try Carthay Circle, as both restaurants are operated by the same chef. Besides that, it was something new and exciting to try also!

We arrived and checked in for our reservation. We were told it would be several minutes before our table was ready and that we should have a seat in the lounge. So we did!

menu.jpg

We decided to peruse the drink menu while we waited.

alc menu.jpg

One page of the menu...there were multiple pages, but our selections came from this page.

I decided to try the Aviation Cocktail. I was told it came with a special surprise! (Glow cube? :scratchin)
violet.jpg

I guess this is not that kind of place! :rotfl2:

This cocktail was nice, sweet and strong and I had no complaints. The "surprise" was a tiny, candied violet. I did not eat it, although DP might have snatched a taste of a petal. (It just feels weird to eat one since we grow these in our flower garden at home.)

DP chose Ernest's Daiquiri:

cocktail.jpg

This was ok. It was like a margarita made with rum. She thought it was fine, but honestly, neither of us was blown away by the cocktails.

We took some time sipping and enjoying the décor in the lounge area:
decor.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality; we were trying not to use a flash, and there was very low light and my camera did not like it!

lounge.jpg

Looks like we captured a ghost!

The interior of this restaurant, from the lounge to the seating areas, really is quite nice. We enjoyed that, and we definitely didn't feel like we were in a theme park.

Fairly soon, we were seated at our table, a half booth upstairs. Stay tuned for bread, salads and our entrée choice.

Last edited:
I agree that DCA is lacking in the breakfast department. I really love Whitewater Snacks for breafast tucked away at the GCH, they have a nice little menu and the prices aren't too bad. Flo's looks delicious, I have never tried it but would like to on a future trip. I always wind up getting a cozy cone!! Looking forward to the rest of your Napa Rose visit :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter