A wannabe TR writer's gotta start somewhere ... 2015 DL AP adventures -- Updated 4/6

tdashgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi.

I used be really, really active on the DIS Disneyland forums. And then I wasn't. I still visited Disneyland about 4-5 times a year, followed Disney social media accounts (official and fan) and that was enough for me.

And then I decided to plan a WDW trip in September/October 2014. As many of you here know, WDW is a completely different animal from DL. So I found myself dipping my toes back into the DIS water to do research and get tips.

That's when I started reading TRIP REPORTS. So fun. I subbed and commented, got lots of inspiration and ideas. I had grand ideas of doing my own WDW trip report.

(Didn't. (Hasn't?) Happened.)

BUT GOSH DARN IT I WANNABE BE A TR WRITER!

So. I think I will start small. With my Disneyland 2015 AP adventures. It makes sense right? Disneyland is smaller? OK, OK, never mind.

I'm going to do it anyway. And see if this will jumpstart my WDW trip report.(I have the photos organized already! Really I do.)

Here we go!

Last edited:
Cast of Characters

ry%3D400

From left to right, stepson (21), Grammy (my MIL), stepkids step brother (yup their mom is re-married to someone who has kids), stepdaughter (19), ME, DD (11) and DH.

Here is my extended family, at Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration -- which is when the Annual Pass tradition began. (Before, we visited every couple of years with hoppers). On this trip, we had such a great time and got to see Disney through the eyes of my then-2.5-year-old, which was super magical.

You can't tell by the serious expression on DD11's face, but she absolutely fell in love with princesses and characters on this trip, especially Snow White. Oh my, I miss those days. Sniff sniff.

ry%3D400

One of our friends on the trip told us we could upgrade our hopper to an annual pass -- we did and never looked back!

Since 2006 and many, many, Disney trips later, our 2 older kids have moved out. DS21 has been to DL a few times but mostly he's trying to live on his own and be super-independent. I totally get that because I was the exact same way when I was that age. DD19 lives down in Southern California part time and she is still a Disney nerd. (That's some good parenting right there! mmmmhmm.) She goes to DL really often and joins us on our trips sometimes. So you might see her in here from time to time. But mainly you'll see me, DH, and DD11.

Here's a pretty recent photo, from our 1st trip to the world back in October.

ry%3D400

(future trip report ... :rolleyes1 )

Last edited:

February 2015 Trip
I forgot how easy Disney planning can be!

This very first trip of 2015 was actually very last minute. (I love that it's so easy to do this for DLR, btw, vs. WDW.) Mid February means 2 things for our family, DD11's birthday and President's Day Week. AKA "Ski week" or no school for 5 days. Our original plans were to actually SKI/snowboard -- sharing a cabin in beautiful Lake Tahoe with some good family friends.

A couple of things went down. One, California is in a horrible drought. (PSA alert:Out of state visitors to our lovely state - please remember this when asking for linen changes!!! PSA alert done :goodvibes ) The ski conditions were not at all ideal. Two, the elder DD of our friends had to attend a dance competition that very week. Both DH and I decided Tahoe just wasn't in the cards anymore. But I already had the vacation time off work. I didn't want to just staycation. We had our APs already from our Christmas trip -- so no brainer -- ROAD TRIP!:car:

I quickly went online and checked out the rates for our various go-to Good Neighbor hotels (we require clean & safe, under $150/night is ideal, walking distance. Everything else is a bonus.)

I did check the AP rates for Disney hotels. :scared1::sad::sad1::sad2:

And the winner of Tania's Good Neighbor lotto is ....

:santa: The Candy Cane Inn.:santa:
(I can't help but think of Christmas, sorry.)

I made a few online ADRs, once again super easy at DL (and often not really needed, but I like having them so there's minimal waits for table service). DD11 requested a Blue Bayou lunch on her actual birthday, so that was my highest priority and it was easy-peasy.

BOOM. Planning DONE :thumbsup2 Just gotta pack and make the (oh so very boooooring) 5-something-hour-drive down the 5.

Last edited:
Following along...just got my very first AP a week ago. I've been thinking about doing a trip report too, "my year with an AP" sort of thing, but I don't love writing. It's such a chore for me. We'll see. I'm happy to read about everyone else's trips though! Thanks for sharing!

February 2015 trip
Arrival Day. UGH our passes are blocked. YAY we can still drink!!!

I'll spare y'all the gritty details of the trip. It's pretty boring. We always leave early in the morning to avoid traffic. We hit up the local Starbucks, get coffee and snacks, and hit the road. It's an easy drive from the Bay Area, but it's mind-numbingly boring. :faint: We always stop for gas at Ft Tejon (right before the grapevine). It's a fairly new stop along the route that has lots of nice options if you want food (Starbucks, In n Out, Chipotle, Yogurtland, etc.) I remember that none of us were really hungry and were just looking forward to arriving in Anaheim. So we fueled up the minivan, hit up the McDonald's bathroom, and we were almost there!

5 something hours later, hitting minimal Sunday traffic in LA, we pulled into the Candy Cane Inn. It was a lovely sunny mid-70s day in SoCal. Now, when we planned this trip, I knew that Sunday was a blockout day for our APs. We could have left the next day and saved a night on hotels, but DH and I decided we'd rather arrive on the blockout day and just find something non-park to do.

First good omen -- our room was ready! It was a little after noon, and we were able to unload our van. DH's and my tradition on DL arrivals is to always crack open a cold beer. We deserve it, right? :drinking1So DH had some sort of IPA and I think I actually had a Stella Cidre...not exactly beer, but beer-ish.

The Candy Cane Inn room was fine. Clean, a little small, but fine for a family of 3. Sorry I didn't take any photos. I didn't have any plans to do a TR at the time....I'll be better next trip :littleangel:

We got everything unpacked, and all of our stomachs were saying FEED ME!!! I suggested Trader Sam's at the DLH. We could get drinks to go and get CS from Tangaroa Terrace next door. DH and DD11 gave me the stamp of approval and we were off to the DLH.

The Candy Cane Inn has a free shuttle to the Disneyland. So it was pretty easy to get to the DLH from there -- we just went thru bag check and then DTD all the way to the end.

We quickly found tables outside of Tangaroa Terrace. Like I mentioned before, it was a perfect SoCal day and I LOVE the sun. We had DD11 save the table while we went into Trader Sam's to get our drinks.

DD11 took a selfie with my phone while she waited for us.

IMG_9034.jpg
8032d6a8-2f39-426c-8473-c641548f7361.jpg

DH and I got 2 Shipwreck on the Rocks to-go. This is bourbon muddled with lemon and mint, plus organic agave nectar. It's yummy and refreshing.

IMG_9029.jpg

Happy parents!

IMG_9028.jpg

Annnnnnnd....duty (aka) work is calling so I gotta post ... to be continued!!

Last edited:
Following along...just got my very first AP a week ago. I've been thinking about doing a trip report too, "my year with an AP" sort of thing, but I don't love writing. It's such a chore for me. We'll see. I'm happy to read about everyone else's trips though! Thanks for sharing!
Welcome! I do enjoy writing, but I've had such a hard time starting a TR for some reason. I think I worry too much about it being "perfect". Dumb, I know. I'm hoping this TR will help me get over that, lol. I hope you enjoy! And congrats on your 1st AP!

Welcome! I do enjoy writing, but I've had such a hard time starting a TR for some reason. I think I worry too much about it being "perfect". Dumb, I know. I'm hoping this TR will help me get over that, lol. I hope you enjoy! And congrats on your 1st AP!

I think that's why I don't enjoy the writing process, I obsess over the details!

I am so excited about this year with my AP! I can see it snowballing quickly though...oh, I'll just plan 3 trips this year...but wait, I need to also go around Christmas, then there's my birthday....before I know it I have 5 or 6 trips "in the works." Yikes! DH thinks I'm nuts.

Have fun planning your trips...sounds like you know all the tricks :)

Joining! I also used to be active and get back into the DIS with trip reports. We're just slight opposites: I have WDW APs and going to DLR is my big TR :)

I look forward to reading your updates, I know you can work your way to that WDW TR ;)

February 2015 trip
Arrival Day. UGH our passes are blocked. YAY we can still drink!!! (Continued)

OK, back at it! Let's see if work is kind enough to me to let me finish the 1st day!

Drinks ordered and in hand (the important) part, DD11 and I went up to the Tangaroa Terrace counter to order. I felt like a burger and DD11 felt like the Ahi, DH agreed to share with us. Here's the food!

Angus 1/3 lb. Hawaiian Cheeseburger - Ground Angus Burger with Teriyaki Sauce, Fresh Caramelized Pineapple, Havarti Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato on a Multigrain Bun. $11.19 before AP discount. We got the sweet potato fries (my fave) as our side.

170ba7e3-68e6-4a1d-8f96-998d9e2887b9.jpg

Ahi Poke - Sushi-grade Ahi, Avocado, Wasabi Yuzu, Sriracha Aioli, and Won Ton Chips. $11.49 before AP Discount. Kind of an unusual choice for an 11 year-old I know, but she's a little foodie in the making. She's not picky exactly but rather particular.

IMG_9031.jpg

She really liked it!

Plus, in this photo you can see the pretty environment that is Trader Sam's / Tangaroa Terrace. The inside of Trader's is super cool but the outside is almost equally cool in that it really takes you away. It's such a lush tropical oasis in the resort area.

IMG_9033.jpg

So the relaxing tropical vibe had some people a little too relaxed. I didn't take a photo, but the family across from us really took advantage of it and used their spot as a revolving family sleeping area. At one point, one of the adults took off his shoes, propped his not really nice to look at bare feet on the ledge and proceeded to fall into a deep, very loud snoring sleep session. It kinda ruined the vibe for us.

Drinks and lunch done, we headed back into DtD. DD11 really wanted to get something from the Little MisMatched store, so I took her there while DH went into the Quiksilver store. We scored a really cute tankini and flip flops on sale there, it was under $25. We met up with DH, who had gone crazy in the clearance section there. I think he got a couple of plaid shirts, 3 or 4 t shirts, and a couple pair of shorts. And oh, a hat or 2. He was super proud of himself, $120 for all the swag.

Shopping done and bellies full, we decided to go back to the CCI for a quick power nap. The CCI was a quick easy walk, and we relaxed, shoes off (haha) in our cool a/c room.

We had an ADR at Tortilla Jo's for 7pm. When we arrived, I was glad we had them, since everyone who was walking up was given 45 minute waits, while we were sat right away. SCORE!

We ordered our favorites, the table side guacamole and their house margaritas. Both were yummy as usual. I forgot to take food photos, TR fail. I think we also ordered flautas and DD11 ordered the kid's tacos. We were happy with our meal - we are fans of Cal Mex and I think TJ's does a pretty good job with it.

DD11 did take a photo of us - so yay another drink photo! I swear that's not ALL we do at Disney ...

22e36be1-8b35-4919-8e19-f2cd280837c6.jpg

After this lovely meal, we headed back to the CCI again to rest up for our 1st full day.

This is great so far! I swear we don't only drink at DL, but....most pics include it of us somehow...oh well! :)

Following along!! I haven't been to DLR since our honeymoon in 2001!! Would love to go back with our kids!! Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Our 1st Full Day -- DD Turns 11 at Disneyland!

After a good nights rest at the Candy Cane Inn, we got up bright and early (we're rope drop people.). DCA had EE (for Disney hotel guests) from 8-9, while DL opened at 9, so we knew our 1st park would be DL.

DH and I got some coffee from the CCI buffet and DD11 (yes, she's 11 today!!) grabbed a donut. We're not the biggest fan of the breakfast buffet at the CCI, even though it's one of the nicest around the DLR hotels. The coffee was just OK. We decided to go into DCA knowing we wouldn't be allowed beyond Buena Vista Street since we weren't DL hotel guests, but that was OK because Buena Vista Street has Starbucks!

We got to the esplanade around 8:30. No lines at DCA because EE had already been going for 30 minutes. We took our APs up to the closest entry stall -- when DD's was scanned this is what popped up~

75addf27-c712-453c-907a-53262d4a2b75.jpg

Minus the crown -- that's to protect the name of the innocent. :) The super sweet CM prompted me to take a photo, since apparently this appears only 1 time, at your 1st entry into a park with your AP. Super cute. She made Kaia a birthday button and off we went to Starbucks (ahem ... Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe. But who calls it that?? We call it Starbucks. Sometimes DCA Starbucks).

I had a couple of priorities here. 1, we wanted coffee. 2, I had seen all those cute Disney park exclusive "You are here" mugs all over the internet. They had been going in and out of stock. Would today be my lucky day? It was!

605e5fee-0652-41fb-be3f-d2e6b3b336b6.jpg

DH shook his head at me for a making a purchase so early in the morning, but hey -- I wasn't gonna risk these being out of stock. So there. BOOM. As a side note, I LOVE the starbucks Disney cups. The little Disney cutouts -- adorable.

Caffeine in hand, it was time to head over to DL. They still had the cute Valentines Day decorations up in the hub, so I had DD pose for a photo.

0f0d8adc-0984-460a-bfde-984619947c8b.jpg

We decided to head over to one of our favorites, Space Mountain. Having recently been to WDW, we were finally able to compare the versions! I think I fall in the same camp as just about everyone, DL's is better. We also have less awkward looking ride photos, hehhehehhe.

fefa59f2-6208-4536-b271-b79b5331855a.jpg

Then I tried to do selfies in front of the "castle". Now, normally Sleeping Beauty castle is a little bit of letdown after experiencing the "wow" that is Cinderella castle. During this trip, it was covered in concept art tarp for it's 60th anniversary decorationg. I thought it was pretty charming and different -- but I say that as a regular visitor. I think it would be a bit disappointing for a non-regular. Regardless, it doesn't change my inability to take a good selfie.

13faf87a-ac46-429b-bfbf-842753a85649.jpg

OK, take 2, let's see if I can actually get the castle in it... wow, my DD is BUFF.

4c6f621b-ec28-40c3-8f79-711354d0c54f.jpg

Mom, the sun is in my eyes.

7640faac-2548-4cb4-a590-e69033a60ace.jpg

OK, let's have DH take it.

e8d4dbc3-baa1-43ba-99c8-61fcfeb129b3.jpg

And we'll get DH too.

4b9e7bb2-eadf-4689-814e-ecdbff12dfef.jpg

OK, photos done! We're off to Big Thunder, the wildest ride in the wilderness! And this report is to be continued...

Last edited:
Hi Tania!

I'm along for the trip! DD is such a doll!

HI! So glad you're here. I'm way behind on the DIS as usual. I'll be updating later this week hopefully!

Darn real life interfering with Disboard life! :crazy:

I'm debating starting a pre trip report. My daughters and I are headed down in September for Dapper Days in September.

Darn real life interfering with Disboard life! :crazy:

I'm debating starting a pre trip report. My daughters and I are headed down in September for Dapper Days in September.
How cool. The dapper day photos are so awesome, I follow them on Instagram. They also have fabulous deals at the DL Hotels too! I wish those weekends worked out for my schedule!

How cool. The dapper day photos are so awesome, I follow them on Instagram. They also have fabulous deals at the DL Hotels too! I wish those weekends worked out for my schedule!

They are awesome! We've been busy shopping for dresses. Kody thinks she found the one she wants. It's a pretty Cinderella dress she found at Torrid or Hottopic. Kacy and I are both still looking. Kacy loves the pinup look so this is right up her alley. We're taking advantage of the rates and staying at the Disneyland Hotel for 6 nights v

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter