A Very Merry Un-21st-Birthday to Me! May 2015 Trip - Updated 10/27**

I'm following.
I can't wait to hear more about your trip.
My birthday is in May; and I've always wanted to be at DisneyWorld for my birthday.

(I was starting to get cranky before eating) we headed to the shops. Our first stop: The Lego Store! Kenny really likes the Architecture series of Legos. He did end up buying one that was new, and cheaper at the Lego store than on Amazon (he had to check it while we were IN the store :rolleyes:)
DH has been known to do this.

We decided to eat at Cookes of Dublin, and that was a great choice I think!
Looks delicious!

Yes! In December, I'm so excited!
Yay! Make sure to pick up a birthday button! Lots of happy birthdays to go around, and if you dine at character meals (or any meal) sometimes you get something special!

My birthday is in May; and I've always wanted to be at DisneyWorld for my birthday.
I think May is a great time to go. Sadly, my birthday isn't in May but February. Due to college I decided to not go during my Spring Break, but do it after my Spring semester ended. So just because your birthday is in May doesn't mean you can't celebrate later in the year! I still got many happy birthdays, and its kind of interesting how the characters react to it not technically it being your birthday.

DH has been known to do this.
Thankfully, it was like $25 more expensive on Amazon. If it was just $5 off we would have been there, discussing it. :faint:

Joining in! I can never sleep either on a Disney travel day! Sounds like a great lunch.
-Lindsey

I'm following, I'm staying AKL CL later this year so interested to read all about it.

Your lunch at Cookes looks delicious

Sounds like a great arrival day so far! The food at Cooke's looks really good!! And the rice krispy treats you made at Goofy's sound delish!!

I can never sleep either on a Disney travel day!
:welcome:, thanks for joining in!

I was antsy at the airport too! I just wanted to get on that airplane and go go go!

I'm following, I'm staying AKL CL later this year so interested to read all about it.
:welcome:, thanks for joining in!

I think if we ever stay at AKL again we'd go with club level. Its really nice to have breakfast up there, sadly I don't think I took any pictures next to the lobby from the club level (6th floor).

The food at Cooke's looks really good!! And the rice krispy treats you made at Goofy's sound delish!!

It was so good! And the rice krispies treats were amazing! It took me about 3 days to eat mine!

Arrival Night / The Mara
Once we got back from DTD it was probably around 5:30pm, and there were animals outside our windows!
20150512_175436_zpspewqlidl.jpg

f0747d7a-8d54-4d05-bcd9-31faa35a8793_zpsemtzebsk.jpg

My mom’s favorite animal is a giraffe, so I think those are the most exciting to see for me since I know she loves them so much. Many giraffe pictures were taken every day and sent to her.

These were also found in our room upon our return from DTD:
50ec4745-dce8-47c8-8824-4a33b925c139_zps0ywtfme5.jpg
The rolled up piece of paper is a birthday greeting from club level, and the button has my full name on it. If you'd like to guess you can, but I'll tell you it's not Katherine. The other piece of paper is the welcome letter that everyone staying at club level receives, and so are the chocolates. Which were all very good. And I do love chocolate. :love:

While looking at the animals from our balcony, turn down service came. After they left, we took about a 30 – 40 minute nap. After waking up, it was about 7:00pm. From here we decided to explore the resort! We walked down around the Lobby, and then to the pool. The pool was lovely! Normally pretty crowded though. There was a flamingo overlook by the pool… and some of those flamingos did not seem to like each other. We also went to some of the other savannah overlooks, and then back up to our room.

Around 8:30pm we went down to the Mara for dinner. Kenny got the chicken barbecue flat bread, which he liked, but I didn’t particularly like it. I thought it was too sweet. I got the chicken pita with couscous. The chicken pita was okay, not something I’d order again, and the couscous was eh. For a ‘dessert’ we got fruit, we only ate one of the packs of it, but it seemed pretty fresh. We also got water bottles for the next day as drinks, since from the DP we got refillable mugs (finally got one in purple! Was kind of upset last year when they only had blue and green at the Contemporary).

12fb4fdd-4a4f-4e82-9873-b2960186d077_zpsgk9snp0w.jpg

Chicken Pita at The Mara in AKL
37ff65e1-0317-4059-91a7-6df280ff9757_zpsbvm7cc5p.jpg

Chicken BBQ Flatbread (partially eaten) at the Mara in AKL
We got back to our room and I ended up calling my parents. While on the phone, someone came to our door but Kenny got it. Surprise! It was a cake he ordered. I kind of knew about it, but it was delicious anyways! He wanted to get a mini cake like I got him last year for his graduation, but I guess AKL doesn’t do the mini cakes. So I got this chocolate Minnie Mouse cake. It was so yummy! Too big for us to finish throughout our trip, but still delicious! The Minnie face was white chocolate (which I'm not a huge fan of) but I did take a bit out of. Its covered in a hard chocolate shell, and had chocolate cake and chocolate mousse-like filling.

7e5fcdd6-66d7-4de1-8425-ca5e38930a2c_zpsmcraagqf.jpg

After a delicious binge eating of the cake, I took a shower and ended up getting ready for bed. We went to sleep around 11:30pm to get ready for a long MK day the next day! :mickeyjum

What a great arrival day! That cake looks delish!!! And I can't imagine how awesome it would be to look out your window and see giraffes!!! That is just the coolest!

Nice view from your room! and Yum Chocolates! And How sweet of him to order a cake!

The view was lovely. A lot of time getting ready was spent with us yelling across the room to each other "Come over here! THERE ARE ANIMALS RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW!"

The chocolates were delicious, and he is such a sweetie! I sort of knew he did it before we left, but I didn't know what it looked like or what kind of cake it was. :lovestruc

Magic Kingdom – Day 1 – Part 1 :genie:

Just an added note to our travel/arrival day: we walked 10,000+ steps (not quite 11,000 though). This probably has to do that we were at the end of the C terminal at BWI, and decided we wanted Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, and walked the whole way over to the mid-section of the B-terminal and back. :rolleyes:

But onto our Magic Kingdom day! I woke up around 6:30am, and Kenny woke up around 6am so he could shower. I’m pretty sure I woke up earlier than 6:30 though. Our plan was to be at the bus stop by 7:20am to make it to the opening show. After we both got ready, we headed up to club level for breakfast.

Here is my first bow! It’s my Ariel one:
20150513_070100_zpsm8mvqdn9.jpg

I ended up only getting fruit and a croissant, which I definitely should have ate more because I was hungry by 11am. Kenny got a cinnamon roll and fruit, and then refilled our filtered water bottle with the water from club level. We weren’t 100% sure if you could do this, but no one stopped us on the multiple days we did it. So, I guess you can! :rolleyes1

We then headed down to the bus stop. We probably did actually wait 20 minutes for a MK bus. However, when the bus stopped at Jambo, you could tell it hadn’t been to Kidani. Off the MK we went! We arrived around 8:00am, which was earlier than originally planned. I didn’t really care if we got to see the show from the front; I was hoping to be sort of towards the back. I think this opening show is a really great way to start off any Disney trip; and one of the characters on the train was Lady Tremaine, and her reactions/actions were hilarious!

After being let inside MK, we did get pictures infront of the castle, however, they are doing work in the hub, and a big green box is RIGHT behind us, so not the nicest picture. We then made our way over to Merida! We were about third in line. When we met her we talked about her brothers as bears, and how they play good practical jokes on her dad:
MK_FAIRYTALEGARDENCHAR_7307460932_zpshdrflzzz.jpeg

After Merida, our 9:20am FP to meet Cinderella and Rapunzel was ready to go! We headed over that way. Cinderella was so-so, but Rapunzel talked about my birthday, and if she celebrated her birthday more than once a year that they would have to make a lot of lanterns.

We then headed over to Gaston’s tavern for LeFrou’s Brews. It was about 9:30am at this point. We ended up both getting one, and I think if we get them again I could definitely share. They were a little too sweet for my taste. But I was already getting kind of hungry by then, so I drank it pretty fast. And with only one brain freeze! :thumbsup2
20150513_093927_zpsvgvounvz.jpg

We took our drinks to the line to meet Gaston, and we were about 4th in line already at 9:40am! However, Gaston this year interacted much more with Kenny than he did last year. It was another good meet and great! By 10:10am we had finished with Gaston and moved down towards the teacups.
MK_GASTONSTAVERNCHAR_7307525087_zpsjq2a8jhb.jpeg
We rode the teacups, which were a walk on when we got to them. My mom says when they took me when I was little I made her ride the teacups with me about 20 times. She was not happy. :rotfl:

Then we stood in line to meet Alice and the White Rabbit! Alice got very confused about how it was my Unbirthday and my birthday, and why we weren’t visiting for Kenny’s Unbirthday.
MK_TEACUPCHAR_7307576813_zpsrzxybrvv.jpeg
After Alice, it was only 10:40am. We were kind of REALLY early in my planning. We weren’t supposed to be done with all this until about 11am! We decided to use our 7DMT FP which started at 10:20am. I have to say, after riding this it may be my new favorite ride!
MK_MINETRAIN_7307598554_zps2c3x7rr6.jpeg
Now being way ahead of schedule, we decided to do whatever we felt like. We saw Mickey’s Philharmagic, which was in the schedule for a little bit later. Love this show. And then by 11am, we didn’t really know what do with ourselves. Our BOG lunch reservation wasn’t until 12:15pm. We checked wait times on my phone, and saw that Journey of the Little Mermaid only had a 20 minute wait, so we decided to go do this. It did not have a 20 minute wait. The 20 minute wait was winding through the queue and then walking straight onto the clam shell. (laughing face). So much for trying to burn time! After getting off the ride, we decided to walk around Big Top Gifts (or whatever it’s called) and found were the Daisy/Minnie and Goofy/Donald meet and greet was. By then it was 11:45am, and we checked in at BOG at 11:50am.

Magic Kingdom part 2 coming soon! I think since this one got so long it will be in 3 parts. :blush:

A CM I talked to at MK two years ago referred to Le Fou's as "diabetes in a cup" :)

Isn't it awesome when you're AHEAD of schedule? May is such a great time to visit!

Great TR so far. Can't wait to read more.

What a great MK day so far!! You had so many good character interactions. I never know what to say to them lol. Awesome that you were ahead of schedule and got some extra things in! Nothing better than that! I think it's a problem when you Under estimate how long things will take and then are dissapointed...so if you plan for things to take a long time...you will be pleasantly surprised...I have to remember that lol

Hi! I'm new to Dis boards so no fun emoji or quoting yet... We are headed to WDW in 17 days and will be there for my birthday and our 4th wedding anniversary. Reading your birthday trip report is so fun! Thanks for sharing!!!

A CM I talked to at MK two years ago referred to Le Fou's as "diabetes in a cup" :)
I can believe that. It was disgustingly sweet. Maybe if you really like apple juice someone would love it? But I'm kind of at "Okay, I tried it, don't need to drink it again for awhile."
Isn't it awesome when you're AHEAD of schedule? May is such a great time to visit!

Great TR so far. Can't wait to read more.
It was great! I mean, I've never been to WDW during the summer months. But after being sick of the heat by the end of our trip, I'm hoping I can plan around the summer months. :laughing: And, thanks!

You had so many good character interactions. I never know what to say to them lol.
It really helps if you wear something that they can speak to you about. Such as Gaston tried to read my pin, but he "can't" read. Also that my pin was an Alice In Wonderland quote, so she talked to us about that. Last year I have Mickey Ursula ears, and Ariel talked to us about Ursula. I have a hard time talking to characters who I don't really know what to say to. Like, Belle at Epcot this year was kind of hi, ask a question to us, picture, leave.

Its always nice when this can happen!
It was lovely! However, we did have a moment after I used the bathroom by Rapunzel's tower of "Okay, we did everything we wanted to do to lunch and still have an hour, what now?" And we did love walking on to the Little Mermaid ride, because it meant we didn't have to go with our original plan of FP+ it later. However, it did not help the "what do we do now?" feeling. :confused3

i! I'm new to Dis boards so no fun emoji or quoting yet... We are headed to WDW in 17 days and will be there for my birthday and our 4th wedding anniversary. Reading your birthday trip report is so fun! Thanks for sharing!!!

Well.... :welcome:

I'm sure you'll get the hang of the boards soon! So glad you decided to join us! I hope you have great time at DIsney to celebrate your anniversary and birthday! Make sure to grab some buttons so everyone knows you're celebrating!

Also, :bday:!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter