A Very British Trip Report - Oct 2006 - Day 9

Kevin Stringer

Chat Host
DAY 9 – WENESDAY 25th OCTOBER 2006

Whos’ going:

Me, Kev – Husband, father, friend and all round good egg.
Wife, Tam – she hates to be called ‘the wife’ so I left the ‘the’ off. Make sense?
India, nearly 16, eldest daughter.
Georgia, now 13, youngest daughter.
Deb & Matt – good friends
Susan – another good friend, joining us for part 2 of the holiday.

I get up at 9.00am. Breakfast is taken and we are all on the way to Epcot by 11.45am. It’s a glorious sunny morning without a cloud in the sky and the temperature in the mid 70’s.

epcotentrance.jpg

We enter Epcot and walk across to get Fast Passes for Soarin’ before heading across to The Seas where the new Nemo ride is open. The large sign outside where the waves splash has the seagulls from Finding Nemo making a noise. It reminds me of Matt’s attitude to beer. Mine, mine, mine. There’s something about those seagulls that just makes everyone laugh as they pass.
The ride itself is longer and better than I expected with some nice effects, especially when you see Nemo and friends in the big tank at the end.

It’s now time for Soarin’ where we ask for the top row. Tam, me and the girls have done this in California, but not in Epcot. The film is identical, but it is still a wonderful attraction. You really do feel like you are flying.
As we come out of The Land Deb rings her daughter Harriet to wish her a happy birthday. We get some strange looks as we all crowd round the phone to shout ‘Happy birthday Harriet’.

Next we pick up Fast Passes for Test Track where we are given some Surprise Passes for Mission Space as well. Deb and Matt have never done this so we all do the green, less intense version except Tam and Ind who are brave enough for the high octane version.
The mild version is actually better than I expected and you get a lot more sensation of movement than I thought you would without becoming a member of the ‘I vomited on Mission Space’ club.
I am the Commander of our motley crew and it is thanks to my skill and adept button pressing that we land safely on Mars. The incompetent riff raff that accompany me on the voyage are poor to say the least. I can feel a strongly worded memo to Space Command coming on.

FWFsign.jpg

It’s now time to start our walk around World Showcase to discover the delights of the Food and Wine Festival. Unfortunately Matt and I are driving so the drinking is kept to a minimum, but we do enjoy snacks at many of the stalls.

beerinEpcot.jpg

A pre-dining aperitif

I can’t remember what order we did things in, but here are a few of the snacks we tried and marks out of 10.

Argentina – Grilled beef sirloin with chimichurri sauce – 7

Scandinavia – Kjottkaker (meatballs with cauliflower and potato mash) – 9

China – Chicken Sha Cha skewers with peanut sauce – 8, Pork pot stickers – 9.

Thailand – Vegetable curry with Jasmine rice and lemon grass – 6, Sweet mango and tapioca soup – 7.5

South Africa – Babotie with mango chutney – 7

Australia – Shrimp on the Barbie – 5, Grilled lamb chop with caramelised onions – 6, Macadamia nut tartlet – 7.5

Hops and Barley Market – Savoury onion and bacon tart – 7, Cherry wheat beer – 8, Black lager – 8, Cream stout – 7, 11th year anniversary festival beer – 8

India – Curried butter nut squash soup with naan bread – 6, Coconut rice pudding – 8

india.jpg

How could we resist?

Greece – Walnut and Honey Baklava –8

In Turkey we watch a man making marbled paper, which was very interesting.
The British Invasion are playing in the UK as we pass, so we sit and watch with Georgia remembering when we watched them here on Millennium Eve.

It’s now around 5.30pm and the Churchills leave as they are going to a steakhouse tonight, whereas the Stringers are going across to the Magic Kingdom for Spectromagic and Wishes. Never a dull moment.
Before we leave Epcot we manage to use our Fast Passes for Test Track, which is a walk-on anyway, and take a spin on Spaceship Earth.

kevandgirls.jpg

Me and the girls always enjoy watching the fountain

Considering the Food and Wine Festival is on the crowds are very light today.

I think I speak for all 6 of us when I say that Epcot is our spiritual Disney home. The other parks are great, but it’s Epcot that we all feel most at home with. It’s just a pity we won’t see Reflections of Earth tonight, but we will do that several times when we are on-site next week.

Into the car and across to the Magic Kingdom where we enter at 7.00pm and find a place on the hub to sit while I write up my trip report and we wait for Spectromagic. It’s fun as always, but for me it has lost the impact that it had when I first saw it.
The parade finishes and we take up our spot for HalloWishes. We didn’t realise it would be the Halloween version so it’s a nice surprise.
The ghost host from the Haunted Mansion narrates the show and introduces different villains who have their own section. Some of the individual fireworks are amazing. How do they make a perfect smiley face? At one point they play ‘Trust In Me’ from the Jungle Book and two red fireworks explode simultaneously creating Kaa’s eyes.
It’s a great show, but we still miss (and prefer) Wishes. It seems to have more Disney magic. Tam asks a CM when it will be back on and she is told next Wednesday, two nights before we go home, so we may get to see it.

We wait for most of the crowd to clear before going to Casey’s Corner for hotdogs and chilli, which we eat in seclusion down by the rose garden in front of the castle.
When we finally exit the park there is only a 5 minute wait for the monorail to the T&TC. There are still quite large queues for the tram, but as we are in the Minnie section of the car park we walk instead.

Back at the villa Deb is asleep on the sofa in the games room and Georgia goes straight to bed as she is tired. Matt and India take turns to wind each other up, Matt just about coming out on top, but give her a couple of years and he’s in trouble.
A few games of pool are played. Matt 37, Kev 34.

Kev

What a fantastic day Kev; I really enjoyed reading about the food :thumbsup2

More lovely photos, too.

Great report again Mr. Stringer. :thumbsup2
Epcot looks empty in your picture Kev??? Quiet day?????

Great report Kev, We also love Epcot more than anything. Loved seeing your piccies from the food and wine festival, it was our first time at food and wine this year and we loved it. :sunny:

Keep them coming :thumbsup2

Hi

Excellent trippie report. Where was the alcohol at the end of a great day :confused3 . I am dissapointed Kev :teeth:

Hi Kev

Am loving reading your reports my daughter Jo (23 ) and I are going to WDW next year at the same time you went this year so am checking out how hot etc you guys look lol.

We are going to be flying from Bristol so nice drive from Taunton.

Keep up the great reports

Profolly

Ahhh, my favourite park....I know what you mean about feeling at home in Epcot :cloud9: love your photos, and your food reviews have made me more determined to visit during the food and wine festival one year :thumbsup2

I need some Rennies, and plasters, having read nine days of Stringer/Churchill eating and walking exploits in one go. I know someone very local to you who plays an awful lot of golf these days (at least once a week!)

Getting me in the mood very nicely for our (very needed!) Christmas Holiday!! :crazy:

I am soooooo hungry ~ We love the F & W Festival.

Fab piccies.

Sounds like the 'marbled paper' was the only thing you didn't try and eat - 2/10 I would have guessed :rolleyes:

Once again to fill in some gaps for us. We leave the Stringers at the parks... and RELAX! (spotting a trend yet?)

We get back to the villa and have a bit of a relax for a bit before readying ourselves to go out.

We've decided to go to the Old Hickory Steakhouse at Gaylord Palms, for a few reasons - we fancied a nice steak, Old Hickory is very good and it is the nearest to the villa of the steahouses we like.

We arrive there at around 7ish, and ask for a table (not having had the foresight to book it) and are politely told by the english Maitre'D (assuming that being english he is not simply a Mr D?!) that 9.30 is the first available table - D'OH!!

A couple of minutes of panic set in - I NEED RED MEAT! Mr D then informs us we are welcome to sit at the bar where there is the full menu available - phew, that was a close one. My blood pressure settles to its normal pace again.

The bar area is pleasant and the bargirls are very good. It is something of a shame to not be in the restaurant as it is lovely, but we have eaten here many times before so not an issue and the bar makes a nice change.

A quick cocktail is consumed whilst considering the menu, and we decide on crabcakes (for me) and foie gras (for Deb - no surprise there then!). As far as steaks are concerned, Deb has the 10oz filet mignon and I go for the signature 16oz New York Strip and we share a side of some potato dish or other, let's be frank - this is all about the meat!! The steaks are absolutely to die for, they are cooked to perfection and taste out of this world. Partnered with a nice bottle of red and it all results in a good evenings work I say. Back to the ranch in time for Deb to fall asleep before the Stringers return.

A few photos of the day...
Mine, mine, mine (beer where??)...
day9-1.jpg

The clam-mobiles on the Nemo ride...
day9-2.jpg

One of the screens on the ride, all very cleverly done I think as they are screens in front of the main tank in The Living Seas, so you can see real fish behind the image...
day9-3.jpg

The ladies of the trip...
day9-4.jpg

Well it's 5'o'clock somewhere, drinkies anyone?
day9-5.jpg

FOOD, 3..2..1 go!
day9-6.jpg

What no food or drink, lucky I took a picture otherwise you wouldn't believe it...
day9-7.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the reports. Once again your photos have been filtered by the school server so I'll have to imagine what they are until I get home--something to look forward to this evening. (Funny, everyone else's photos display!?)

Fiona R said:
I know someone very local to you who plays an awful lot of golf these days (at least once a week!)
Is Steve looking for some playing partners? :teeth:

SusanEllen said:
Thanks to both of you for the reports. Once again your photos have been filtered by the school server so I'll have to imagine what they are until I get home--something to look forward to this evening. (Funny, everyone else's photos display!?)
Maybe not so funny, Susan. I can't claim to be entirely surprised that a firewall might want to block us. :teeth:

Kevin Stringer said:
I think I speak for all 6 of us when I say that Epcot is our spiritual Disney home. The other parks are great, but it’s Epcot that we all feel most at home with.

Kev, I couldn't have put it better myself. I don't feel as though my holiday has really started until I've been to Epcot. Great report :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter