A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

A presence we had not felt since... "Star Wars"

A presence I have not felt since...I got my Beverly kicked on Mustifar.

Here's My DS10...he was DS7 at the time... Jedi Training 2007... Tiny vs Darth Maul.

Looks like you lucked out big time...why do I feel like there may have been a bribe involved off the record :lmao: I love that ride, I just dont understand how people hate it...but I guess its the same feeling I get when riding something that spins :sick:

For some reason I want to really love the Great Movie Ride...but the creepy Wizard of Oz scene coupled with the ending where they just show movie clips always makes me want to jump out of the car and run!!

But here's the thing: we're boys (or boys at heart). We don't need that much information. All we needed to know was that it involved cars driving fast, motorcycles, jet skis, and pyrotechnics. Really, all you need to say is "cars driving fast" and "pyrotechnics" and the guys will show up.

(in my Tim Taylor voice) Augh! Augh! Augh!

I still racked up 118,000 points and another beaver pelt. Dave took the accuracy prize again.

But we all know that accuracy only counts if you're running out of ammo, and they give you as much ammo as your string pulling arm can fire!

The Great Movie Ride is one of those rides where after riding it, you say, "Well...at least it was air-conditioned."

For me it's a good way to sit down and take a break out of the heat but still feel like you're doing something. Kinda like IASW with better music and less desire to shoot all of the animatronic figures.

We found Scotty making out with June from the Little Einteins.

:scared1:

I've seen this show at least half a dozen times now, but I still love it. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm such a huge fan of the Indiana Jones movies.

We weren't in a great spot to capture the finale explosion, so I'll steal our picture from 2006, which came out great at the time:

And that's why men like Hollywood Studios. Lights Motors Action = Fast Cars, Fire, and Explosions. Indiana Jones = Stunts, Fire, and Explosions. Backlot tour = Flood, Fire, and Explosion. Now, how do we add these elements into the Great Movie Ride? :rolleyes1

The Jedi Trainer was terrific, doing quite a bit with the kids and very quick-witted. When it was time for a little girl to fight Darth, the poor thing was petrified and didn't follow any of the trainer's instructions. After telling her to swing at Darth a couple of times with no result, he ad-libbed, "Or just stand there and look cute...it'll confuse him!" :rotfl2:

I found myself wishing this had been there when I was a kid.

Not sure that it would have worked out the same for you. Were you cute as a kid? :confused3

Well apparently glennbo123 was sleeping and Barry was on stalker duty last night.

Really, all you need to say is "cars driving fast" and "pyrotechnics" and the guys will show up.
:thumbsup2

As I was leaving, I told a cast member about the screen that was out. She asked which game, and then apologized for my less-than-perfect experience. She also offered me a pass to immediately bypass the line and get on again.
SWEET!!!:banana:

Unfortunately, it wouldn't have been for the rest of the family, and I didn't want them to have to wait for me. So I politely declined and ran to catch up. :sad1:
:confused::eek: What???? If your family loves you they'd understand.

She also informed me that she's not really in a hurry to see Alien. I'll have to work on that. Should I tell her what a "chest-burster" is? :confused3
Ok, I completely understand that. We went to MGM within a year or 2 after it opened. I was probably about 7 at the time. My parents took me on that ride and it scared the peanut butter out of me. :scared1: The gangster taking over the ride got me on edge, but the alien above the car sent me over. The funny thing is, I had seen that movie on TV shortly before and it didn't bother me, but I guess getting up close and personal with the alien was a bit much. Now I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was once scared of one of the lamest rides in the park. :lmao:

As the months went by, she seemed to back off. I couldn't figure that out--she looked like she'd had so much fun at the fair. So...we walked down the street. There was a 10-minute wait. Practically a walk-on. I asked Sarah if she wanted to try it. She paused a moment. Then she said, "I don't think I want to do it."

Have you ever had an out-of-body experience? Me neither. At least, not until that moment. I heard myself say, "Are you sure? I'll go with you if you want me to."

Wait a minute...What am I SAYING?!

Sarah took another look at the 13-story drop, listening to the distant screams. "No...maybe next time," she said.
I want to hear her side of the story.

nice update mark!!! great shots of the stunt show!!! i must say, that has to be one of the nicest shirts ive seen you wear yet!:thumbsup2

Star Trek

Lord of the Rings

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

It's from Star Wars, but I feel dirty even getting point for it because it's so easy. Not that I won't take them, but I'll feel dirty about it.

Well, that was fun. Now time for sleep, then I'll actually read and enjoy this entry in the morning.

+4 :thumbsup2

It appears Barry has at least temporarily taken over from Glenn as the Movie Quote Stalker. I've tried to stagger the update times, and I guess this one favored those not on the East Coast.

I've been trying to come up with more obscure and challenging quotes, but they get harder to use in context. I'll keep working on it.

Nice update, Mark. However, I'm a little surprised...you make the boys do things, but you let Sarah slip by TOT. I get the distinct feeling that dad had a little "side" talk with her earlier NOT to do it. ;)

Are you suggesting that I have a double standard? Moi? :rolleyes:

We had actually promised the kids before our trip that we wouldn't make them do anything they didn't want to do. We just had to adjust that rule with Scotty when we realized it meant he would not do any rides whatsoever.

Nice Flyers shirt; but this shirt on the man on the left is better:

DSC01166.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

smiley_puke.gif

Awesome update. We've never watched the Lights Motorcars Action or the Indiana Jones shows, but Mary (our oldest) is showing definite signs of Tomboy. I think next time we go by we'll have to stop for these shows. Also she has become a huge Star Wars fan and I would feel sorry for Darth if she ever was given the chance to showdown against him. :darth:

Hey wait, I got a call out. :thanks: ... but for this? :scared1:

MAN THE TURRET GUN AND TAKE AIM...DON'T FIRE UNTIL YOU SEE THE WHITES OF THE FLYER'S WING....FIRE!!!!!!!
:rotfl2::thumbsup2

I like Mary already. We'll need video of her eventual showdown with Darth, of course. :thumbsup2

And I can't believe you didn't like my shirt. Some people.

My kids still rave about LMA... not my cup of tea, but hey, I'd go if promised Tea the Grand Flo afterwards. ;) Indiana is worth a look-see once, and maybe again if you haven't in oh, say, 5 years or so.

ToT :thumbsup2 Dude, that ride just rocks. I know you've heard me say it before, but I just love the way you hate it- and the way you say so. :lmao:

Not your cup of tea? But... stuff blows up! And furthermore, stuff blows up!

I'm glad I can entertain everyone with my wimp--er, caution around the ToT. I loved the effects, and I'm glad I did it once. I just hate falling. Ugh.

Nice update, Mark. However, I'm a little surprised...you make the boys do things, but you let Sarah slip by TOT. I get the distinct feeling that dad had a little "side" talk with her earlier NOT to do it. ;)

Nice Flyers shirt; but this shirt on the man on the left is better:

DSC01166.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
NICE ONE KATHy!!! GO BLACKHAWKS

Aliens. Not sure how I missed that one before

+1 :thumbsup2

And it's a clean sweep for Barry. I think that's a first in this contest.

Blood is thicker than water. Toy Story Midway Mania is thicker than blood. I'd make 'em wait!

It was tempting. Really, really tempting. But if I hadn't turned it down, I might never have been able to ride on the Great Movie Ride.

Crap.

Really? I'm 32 and haven't outgrown it. Are you saying she's more mature than me? Because if you are, you're just a big poopy-head.

I'm saying no such thing. I merely implied it. Anyway, she's graduated on to Phineas & Ferb. I'm pretty happy about that, actually. I can only take so much of Mr. Lophart on Handy Manny.

Oh, you're nicer than I am. I believe my quote was "Well...there's 45 minutes I'll never get back."

::yes::

Now if my math is correct, that would make you Delaware Scott's dad, putting you roughly on par with James Bond, Marko Ramius, and People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive (1999). Lucky you.

I don't have a cool Welsh burr, though. And for some reason, I keep getting omitted from People's Sexiest Man Alive issues. It's probably my publicist's fault.

Wow, I can't believe he fell for that story!

I took a break from stalking you and missed this post by mere minutes. I remember seeing Wherem I Now's quote, which was only 15 minutes before your new chapter went up. Oh well.

Don't worry. Barry filled in admirably.

Darned road crews. Isn't that always the case.

Stupid lazy good-for-nothing highway department. What do those people do all day?

Great shot.

Thanks!

GREAT shot!

:thanks:

Do you think anybody's buying this? :faint:

Such cynicism among my readers. It's almost as though you guys think I actually didn't want to ride ToT.

A presence we had not felt since... "Star Wars"

A presence I have not felt since...I got my Beverly kicked on Mustifar.

Here's My DS10...he was DS7 at the time... Jedi Training 2007... Tiny vs Darth Maul.

Cool! He had to have loved that. I can't wait till they open the new Star Tours ride, too.

Looks like you lucked out big time...why do I feel like there may have been a bribe involved off the record :lmao: I love that ride, I just dont understand how people hate it...but I guess its the same feeling I get when riding something that spins :sick:

For some reason I want to really love the Great Movie Ride...but the creepy Wizard of Oz scene coupled with the ending where they just show movie clips always makes me want to jump out of the car and run!!

A bribe! You guys are killing me. This is a conspiracy, that's what it is. One...big...d@#$ conspiracy. And everyone's in on it! Including her!

The whole ride is kinda creepy. I like how you're supposed to cheer when your tour guide kills the guy who took over the ride. Yay!

(in my Tim Taylor voice) Augh! Augh! Augh!

Now if they just gave away free tools...

But we all know that accuracy only counts if you're running out of ammo, and they give you as much ammo as your string pulling arm can fire!

Exactly. :thumbsup2

For me it's a good way to sit down and take a break out of the heat but still feel like you're doing something. Kinda like IASW with better music and less desire to shoot all of the animatronic figures.

There's an advertising slogan. Ride The Great Movie Ride! It's Slightly Better Than It's A Small World!

And that's why men like Hollywood Studios. Lights Motors Action = Fast Cars, Fire, and Explosions. Indiana Jones = Stunts, Fire, and Explosions. Backlot tour = Flood, Fire, and Explosion. Now, how do we add these elements into the Great Movie Ride? :rolleyes1

I like the way you think, Mike. It would also help if they added these elements to the Playhouse Disney, Beauty & the Beast, and Little Mermaid shows. And if they randomly blew up sets/props on the Backlot Tour.

Not sure that it would have worked out the same for you. Were you cute as a kid? :confused3

Of course I was. You just couldn't tell because of the bag my parents put over my head.

Well apparently glennbo123 was sleeping and Barry was on stalker duty last night.

::yes::

:confused::eek: What???? If your family loves you they'd understand.

I should have given it more consideration. They were already out the door, and I think I panicked a bit.

Ok, I completely understand that. We went to MGM within a year or 2 after it opened. I was probably about 7 at the time. My parents took me on that ride and it scared the peanut butter out of me. :scared1: The gangster taking over the ride got me on edge, but the alien above the car sent me over. The funny thing is, I had seen that movie on TV shortly before and it didn't bother me, but I guess getting up close and personal with the alien was a bit much. Now I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was once scared of one of the lamest rides in the park. :lmao:

:lmao:

Something tells me it'll be a while before my daughter sees Alien. We did the Star Wars films with her. Next I want to do Raiders of the Lost Ark. But I'm not sure how the whole face-melting scene will go over.

I want to hear her side of the story.

Absolutely. I'll call her up right now. What? She's at school and unavailable? Oh, darn. Well, I guess we'll have to do it some other time.

nice update mark!!! great shots of the stunt show!!! i must say, that has to be one of the nicest shirts ive seen you wear yet!:thumbsup2

Thanks for backing me up Dave! The Blackhawks fans were starting to outnumber me.

It appears Barry has at least temporarily taken over from Glenn as the Movie Quote Stalker. I've tried to stagger the update times, and I guess this one favored those not on the East Coast.
Nah, I can't hold a candle to Glenn's stalking abilities. Just one last lucky check of the DIS before going to bed.

I'm saying no such thing. I merely implied it. Anyway, she's graduated on to Phineas & Ferb. I'm pretty happy about that, actually. I can only take so much of Mr. Lophart on Handy Manny.
Mr. Lophart is quite a dufus, I'll give you that. But you know who really gets me? Swiper the Fox from Dora. (It's a good thing they're Nickelodeon properties and I don't have to run into them at WDW). I don't know how many times I screamed at Dora on the TV to "Just Shoot that Peanut Buttery Beverly fox and he'll stop taking your stuff!"
Ok, the only time I watch that show is with the kids, so I've never actually yelled it. But I think it every single time. And its the thought that counts :mad:

I don't have a cool Welsh burr, though. And for some reason, I keep getting omitted from People's Sexiest Man Alive issues. It's probably my publicist's fault.
Start wearing a kilt. That should help. And post pictures. Not of you in the kilt, though. I want to see Julie's reaction to you wearing a kilt.

Start wearing a kilt. That should help. And post pictures. Not of you in the kilt, though. I want to see Julie's reaction to you wearing a kilt.

As a dude who has long considered getting a kilt in my family's colors (and nearly did it at my old work when my boss said he'd do it with me) I've found a great company that manufactures them. Joke all you want, these kilts are awesome!

Utilikilts.com

You know, if you have $250 to throw down on a kilt.

Never heard of it or saw it. Although I am older than penny, I was still in high school then, and didn't watch hockey (I was a baseball/football gal). The only thing I'm bitter about is that the Cubs have been absolutely horrible forever. :sad2:

im sorry, ive been watching hockey since i was 5. older black hawk fans would remember.:thumbsup2 i guess the cubs would be something to be bitter about. :scared:

Obrigado! :woohoo:

See? I'm learning Portuguese already. And I'd love to learn any other phrases you're willing to teach me. Useful phrases for this Trip Report might include:

• "Plus one point"
  • "I did not mean to offend all Canadians"
  • "I think Glenn really is stalking me"
  • "Same to you, Barry"
:rotfl2:

Wow, you are getting pretty good at it...2999 more words and you're a native!!! Soooo, your 2nd portuguese lesson will consist of angry Canadians, a stalking Glenn and a Barry guy....I think I've seen this movie before...:rotfl2:.So here it goes ( remember, you asked for it..): Plus one point= Mais um ponto ( which brings me to the point...don't you think I deserve at least one point for the portuguese lessons and all this translations??:flower3:)/ I did not mean to offend all Canadians = Eu não queria ofender todos os Canadenses/ I think Glenn really is stalking me = Eu acho que o Glenn realmente está me perseguindo/ Same to you , Barry = O mesmo para você, Barry!! Well, that's all for today...I think I'm going to enjoy my Beverly now ( what, you didn't know??? Here in Brasil we love:love:Beverly, we drink it all the time, it's like our national drink!!).Loved your TR update...reeeeally nice pictures:cheer2: Bye!! Tania

NICE ONE KATHy!!! GO BLACKHAWKS

Man, they're everywhere!

I think we still are. :lmao::lmao:

I hadn't realized you had picked up another one. If anyone starts playing the Amstel Light song again, we're gonna have words.

:thumbsup2 I appreciate the support, Dave!

Never heard of it or saw it. Although I am older than penny, I was still in high school then, and didn't watch hockey (I was a baseball/football gal). The only thing I'm bitter about is that the Cubs have been absolutely horrible forever. :sad2:

Well, as a Philly fan, I understand long suffering. But we can't even compare to Cubs fans.

Mr. Lophart is quite a dufus, I'll give you that. But you know who really gets me? Swiper the Fox from Dora. (It's a good thing they're Nickelodeon properties and I don't have to run into them at WDW). I don't know how many times I screamed at Dora on the TV to "Just Shoot that Peanut Buttery Beverly fox and he'll stop taking your stuff!"

Ok, the only time I watch that show is with the kids, so I've never actually yelled it. But I think it every single time. And its the thought that counts :mad:

Swiper: Ha! I stole your map!

Dora (pulls out massive shotgun): Swipe this. (pulls trigger)

It would look something like this:
smiley_puke.gif

Man, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that smiley lately.

The tall kid in the back ground (White T-Shirt and Shorts)...when it was his turn I thought he was going to disarm Darth Maul. :lmao:

He's as tall as the trainers! Maybe it's the guy who plays Chewbacca.

As a dude who has long considered getting a kilt in my family's colors (and nearly did it at my old work when my boss said he'd do it with me) I've found a great company that manufactures them. Joke all you want, these kilts are awesome!

Utilikilts.com

You know, if you have $250 to throw down on a kilt.

My cousin got married this summer and wore a kilt for the wedding. His last name is McKenzie, so he honored the family with the McKenzie tartan. I thought that was kinda cool. I also thought he looked ridiculous. Am I allowed to have that both ways?

Wow, you are getting pretty good at it...2999 more words and you're a native!!! Soooo, your 2nd portuguese lesson will consist of angry Canadians, a stalking Glenn and a Barry guy....I think I've seen this movie before...:rotfl2:.So here it goes ( remember, you asked for it..): Plus one point= Mais um ponto ( which brings me to the point...don't you think I deserve at least one point for the portuguese lessons and all this translations??:flower3:)/ I did not mean to offend all Canadians = Eu não queria ofender todos os Canadenses/ I think Glenn really is stalking me = Eu acho que o Glenn realmente está me perseguindo/ Same to you , Barry = O mesmo para você, Barry!! Well, that's all for today...I think I'm going to enjoy my Beverly now ( what, you didn't know??? Here in Brasil we love:love:Beverly, we drink it all the time, it's like our national drink!!).Loved your TR update...reeeeally nice pictures:cheer2: Bye!! Tania

Obrigado, Tania! For this invaluable help, I absolutely agree that you have earned a bonus point.

Mais um ponto!

+1 :thumbsup2

And I have to ask: are you serious about the Beverly? How does it get advertised in Brazil (or Brasil, as you natives spell it)?

I should have a post up with the final results of the Beverly slogan contest later today, so stay tuned!

/ I did not mean to offend all Canadians = Eu não queria ofender todos os Canadenses/ I think Glenn really is stalking me = Eu acho que o Glenn realmente está me perseguindo/ Same to you , Barry = O mesmo para você, Barry!!

:worship:

My cousin got married this summer and wore a kilt for the wedding. His last name is McKenzie, so he honored the family with the McKenzie tartan. I thought that was kinda cool. I also thought he looked ridiculous. Am I allowed to have that both ways?
Sure! Some people just don't have the confidence necessary to wear one. :)

That and the constant barrage of questions from girls gets annoying, esp if you're married.

That's a dangerous road to tread...what if his Kilt "out-did" the Brides Dress :bride: ...ooooo that would have been bad . :lmao::lmao::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter