A trip to WDW, then versus now

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by lugnut33, Oct 31, 2013.

1. skriegerjr

skriegerjr Monorail Maven

Amen! This will be us on Saturday thru next Sunday!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

Fewer older travelers. Fewer disabled travelers.

4. Granny square

As long as you weren't disabled you mean. If you weren't disabled it was fair. So pretty much not...

5. Granny square

No preteen boys in the restrooms. Only babies and toddlers in strollers.

Haagen das ice cream cups sitting on the curb waiting for elp.

Epcot was educational and perfect. :)

Better, more original merchandise. And you could pretty much only get it at dl or wdw.

6. NYDisneyKid

NYDisneyKid Expedition Everest Record Holder

No,,,Even disabled had to use regular lines

7. kathy884

kathy884 DIS Veteran

We started going in 1971, the year the park opened when I was 11. With just one park and Sea World (which at that time was just a little place, not a world class marine mammal / aquarium facility), the main attraction was the sun and recreational activities at a resort: swimming, tennis, mini golf, par three golf, bingo nights, and potlucks. We'd camp in our motorhome at Outdoor Resorts of America. We'd do a week for spring break, a week at Thanksgiving, and a two week trip over Christmas and hit the Magic Kingdom twice in a trip plus visit the Disney resorts one or two times too, always eating at the Polynesian. Oh did I love to be able to just walk up and get seated for table service at the restaurant that is now Ohana or go to the South Seas dining room and maybe wait 15 minutes max high season. Oh and to this day I still miss this, Polynesian counter service at coconut hot dogs to dies for. Just typing this makes me crave one. They were so good. I don't know why they ever got rid of them. The counter service there now is horrible. Rather than Downtown Disney there was this Lake Buena Vista shopping area with lots of unique things you couldn't get anywhere else. We'd mostly just window shop And the resorts had way more shopping than they do now: I'd always buy tennis balls with the Mickey ear logo. They had lots of really nice clothes at the Polynesian and Contemporary, and my mom would get some really nice things there. And Shades of Green was the Golf Resort. The Contemporary had this incredible game room to die for too. They had that electrical light parade on the water early in the 70s too. We camped at Fort Wilderness a few times also, and as a 15 year old it was so cool to be able to use Disney transportation on our own and meet mom and dad at a certain time at the theme park. Wet and Wild opened in the mid 70s too and we thought that place was soooo cool. Later River Country opened also and we'd hit both. // Anyway that's my recollection of many early to mid 70s trips to the world, my family's favorite place to vacation back then. Epcot didn't open till the 80s and I did more trip in the 70s than any other decade since then. Last month was my 34th trip to Orlando over a 43 year period.

I've never gotten into doing a theme park every day unless I'm just there for two days, but maybe that's because of the way we traveled back in the 70s with resort time being such a huge part of the vacation.

8. Tink575

Tink575 Mouseketeer

Yes it was! We were to both. At Circus World they had a place where kids could walk a tightrope, not too high off the floor, and they had safety harnesses. Our daughter thought that was so cool.

9. wisblue

wisblue DIS Veteran

That's what we have always done and it had nothing to do with FPs. It was a matter of getting to the parks early and covering attractions before the lines get long.

During a busy time you couldn't collect and save too many FPs if you leave the park shortly after noon.

10. kelowatt

kelowatt Mouseketeer

OMG. I remember those! and those weird flight attendant of the future uniforms everyone wore

11. cfw213

cfw213 DIS Veteran

It's not that they make it "easier for their guests". It's just not as popular. Not as popular resorts, dining, etc. No fastpasses even offered unless you're staying at the resort...it's a product of the visitors that you have to make ADRs 6 months in advance for popular restaurants. Disney doesn't force you to...

12. mollygirl13

mollygirl13 DIS Veteran

I agree about the stress ^^^

I am one of those "Disney-obsessed planners" :cool1: In the past, I have really enjoyed sitting at my computer, Disney music playing in the background and planning our days. But I can tell you my trip 2 weeks ago was no fun to plan.

It was very difficult for me to decide on FP+ AND making my ADR's coincide PLUS hoping I was making the correct decision on WHEN my family would want to do either!
    It was tough-especially when I made my ADR's way before picking out my FP+.

It just so happened on our EPCOT day and MK day our FP+ overlapped both our dinner and lunch ADR's (depending on what option I was given). It took me a while to get it all straightened out and I wasn't having fun anymore planning. It really was getting to the stressful point of "I am not planning anything anymore and we are all going to eat what is available!!"

13. Granny square

Have you tried navigating peter pan's line in a wheelchair? Here is a reason they made laws to make the world accessible.

You'd probably rather those people just stay home...

14. SunnyDey

SunnyDey Mouseketeer

I remember getting my face painted like a clown at Circus World. My poor brother got his face painted, and the paint would not come off. My mom scrubbed his face raw trying to get that clown makeup off! :clown: We still have our souvenir drink cups with our clown picture on them.