A Tale of Two Trips: Disneyland and Hawaii July 2014 Long Way Home: The End 9/13 p.40

I will probably try to finish off our time on Oahu before we head off for Florida next week, but I need to get caught up on several trip reports first.

Hey, are all of you entering the Travel Channels contest for a $100,000 trip to Hawaii? Contest runs through March 24, I think. Two of the excursions they are offering as part of the trip are with companies we used on our trip (Paradise Helicopters on the Big Island and Trilogy Exursions on Maui). They also have a VIP tour of Pearl Harbor included.

:goodvibes:

What a nice afternoon stroll. It is nice that the boys are at an age you can leave them behind. I'm not sure why but lately I have been wanting to go to a beach.

Thanks! We did enjoy our walk together. :love:

We were comfortable ditching the boys when we were restless to be out and about but they were more interested in chilling. They spent a lot of time reading, and especially with Nate, we were happy to see that. We actually gave Nate a lot of freedom (maybe too much, but it all worked out). Being able to use cell phones to keep in touch really helped in these situations.

Can't imagine why you would have a beach on your mind!!!

;) :cold: :beach:

Oh WOW Dee! Those pictures are amazing! You must love looking at them right now considering you are totally snowed in right now! The beautiful hues of blue are just stunning. What a great afternoon! Loved seeing those pictures to get me psyched for warm weather!

Thanks! It really was a beautiful beach and a lovely walk. Mark still hasn't looked at the albums I put together from our trip. At one point a couple of weeks ago he said, "too depressing".

I'm with you! Bring on Florida and the warm weather!!!

:yay:

I am never going to finish my TR or get back to my PTR. Every time I think I can, I find updates. And with taking off Friday to go to Dubuque for the weekend, I got further behind. :(

But what an update to come and read. Your pictures of the beach are making me remember our honeymoon and our time on the beaches in Hawaii. They are simply beautiful. A nice afternoon for you and Mark while the kids rested.

I know exactly what you mean!!! So hard to keep up! Today is my first quiet morning in several days- boys off to school, Mark back to work now that the trains into Boston are running again (although not that quickly or well). He left the house at 5:15 and got into work at 8:15. No heat or lights on the train!!! But at least it got there.

:sad2:

Glad to bring back some of your honeymoon memories. So many beautiful beaches on Hawaii. I would love to be able to explore more of them.

:beach:

Dee - wow!!! Simply lovely. I want to be there right now. My work has been a headache as of late and that beach would be a perfect remedy. I am sure you would like to abandon your 4 feet of recent snow for a sandy beach and lovely blue water too. Thanks for the uplifting photos.

Also, look forward to hearing about surf lessons!

Rebecca

Me, too! Me, too!!!

We ended up doing the surf lessons in Maui, so it will be a little time before I get to that.

I would love be heading to a tropical beach right now!!! Although no complaints- leaving for Florida soon.

:sunny:

Last edited:
Dee you are so lucky you're leaving Monday!!
We were supposed to leave tomorrow night, doesn't look like it's gonna happen. :(
I am so depressed I could cry.

Dee you are so lucky you're leaving Monday!!
We were supposed to leave tomorrow night, doesn't look like it's gonna happen. :(
I am so depressed I could cry.

I am so sorry to hear that!!! I saw your post over on the BC/YC board. Will you be able to fly out on Monday morning?

We really need to get away from this Stuff-No-One-Wants!

Dee - Just watching the news and so happy you are on your way to Florida this week!

Rebecca

Thanks for the warm wishes!

It is just amazing how poorly this area has been handling all the snow. There's no place to put it and it is so hard to get around. Traffic into and out of the city has been a nightmare! I'm so glad we are planning to get away from this for a few days. I'll be sure to let everyone know if we are able to depart as scheduled!

:cool2:

I am so sorry to hear that!!! I saw your post over on the BC/YC board. Will you be able to fly out on Monday morning?

We really need to get away from this Stuff-No-One-Wants!

Thanks for the warm wishes!

It is just amazing how poorly this area has been handling all the snow. There's no place to put it and it is so hard to get around. Traffic into and out of the city has been a nightmare! I'm so glad we are planning to get away from this for a few days. I'll be sure to let everyone know if we are able to depart as scheduled!

:cool2:

We tried but by the time we saw the travel alert there was only one seat left. :(
My DH wants to drive tomorrow afternoon after the snow stops, bc he knows I want to go so badly. I just need to get away from the freezing cold. As you know there's just so much you can take of this.
Not sure about the driving yet. We'll see tomorrow. And my poor sister and her family are supposed to leave for Disney Wednesday and they are calling for more snow then too!!! When will this madness end???

We tried but by the time we saw the travel alert there was only one seat left. :(
My DH wants to drive tomorrow afternoon after the snow stops, bc he knows I want to go so badly. I just need to get away from the freezing cold. As you know there's just so much you can take of this.
Not sure about the driving yet. We'll see tomorrow. And my poor sister and her family are supposed to leave for Disney Wednesday and they are calling for more snow then too!!! When will this madness end???

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you. :goodvibes:

You may recall that the beginning of this day started with a hike up Diamond Head followed by a cab ride that I hope we never repeat! Then Mark and I took a lovely stroll along Waikiki Beach while the boys relaxed and read back in our room.

I had contemplated finishing writing about Oahu before I take off for Universal, but between the time crunch that comes before a trip, and adjusting to the new features of the DIS, that didn't happen. I did manage to finish up our 2nd full day, though, in the next few posts.

I hope everyone has a great week, and I'll catch up with you all next week.

:banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
By the time we returned from our walk, it was time for lunch. We weren’t very creative. We returned to CJ’s Deli.

Mark and Nate both got pancakes. Nate got the shortstack with strawberries and blueberries and Mark got the banana with chocolate chips. They split a side of ham. Ben and I switched orders from our previous trip. He got the Triple Play and I got the Kahlua pork sandwich

P1240336.JPG

P1240337.JPG

Triple Play: Mini Wagyu Beef Loco Moco, Mini Macadamia Nut and Coconut Pancakes with Strawberries and Eggs Benedict with Gourmet Bacon, Tomato and Avocado

During our cab rides to and from Diamond Head, we passed by something nearby that caught the boys’ interest-

DSCF1145.JPG

Mark took one for the team and offered to take the boys, leaving me on my own for an hour or so. I'll post some pictures in the next post.

I sat out on the balcony, enjoying the view, catching up on messages, reading, generally just relaxing.

Man, I never got sick of that view!!!

P1240349.JPG

Looking down

P1240350.JPG

Across the street from us, right below the rooftop pool was The Wailana Coffee House, a diner that Cynthia recommended. Unfortunately, we never stopped there. This would have been a much better place for us to have breakfast than where we ended up the next morning.

P1240351.JPG

P1240352.JPG

Last edited:
Meanwhile, at the Military Museum...

DSCF1145.JPG

Ben and Nate love military history. They know WAY too much about guns and weapons (as my husband learned accompanying them). I think the admission is by donation. Ben also purchased a t-shirt which is one of his favorites. Ben took around 250 pictures at the museum. Here are a choice few.

DSCF0895.JPG

DSCF1141.JPG

DSCF1142.JPG

DSCF0981.JPG

DSCF1147.JPG

DSCF1129.JPG

DSCF0943.JPG
DSCF1008.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
When the boys got back, we changed into swimsuits and headed back to the beach.

We took a dip in the ocean

P1240355.JPG

P1240353.JPG

P1240357.JPG

P1240359.JPG

P1240361.JPG

P1240368.JPG

Ben (and I) spent some time digging and writing in the sand.

P1240363.JPG

P1240369.JPG

P1240364.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Attachments

• P1240354.JPG
    P1240354.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I forgot to post this Bride paparazzi picture for MEK- this was actually taken when Mark and I were returning from our afternoon walk

P1240332.JPG

We took a short walk along Waikiki Beach, where we stopped at the resort next door for what was advertised as “The Best Shave Ice on Waikiki”

P1240375.JPG

UGH!

True shave ice is made on a special machine and has a very smooth texture. What we got were just bad snow cones. We ended up taking a few bites and then ditching them.

It was time to start thinking about where we were going to eat dinner. We had noticed that there was a Red Lobster near our resort. Yes, with all of the wonderful dining options at our fingertips, we were thinking of dining at Red Lobster. There used to be one open about 30 minutes from our home, but when you live in New England, arguably one of the seafood capitals of the country, a chain seafood restaurant does not cut it here. But we are tortured whenever we see commercials with the amazing specials they typically offer. We walked over to see about eating there that night, but they were booked with reservations. So we put our names in for the following night (our 28th anniversary). In retrospect, it is a shame they weren’t full for Saturday too…

We returned back to our resort, and returned to eat at Hatsuhana Japanese restaurant.

It turns out that they didn’t have the exact meals we had ordered previously. There was a breakfast menu, a lunch menu, and after lunch menu and a dinner menu. Nate really liked what he had ordered when we went for lunch on our first day, and we tried to describe what he wanted.

This is what we ended up getting- it was a LOT of food. We were able to bring back leftovers to our room which I enjoyed for breakfast on our departure day.

P1240382.JPG

Tuna Poke

P1240383.JPG

Spring Rolls

P1240384.JPG

Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura

P1240385.JPG

Seafood Noodle Bowl

We didn't order dessert at the restaurant, but we did get some ice cream at one of the other places in the plaza

P1240386.JPG

Last edited:
On Friday nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, they have fireworks on the beach. There is also an outside show at the main pool.

It was super crowded! Tourists and residents from all over Waikiki come to watch. We found a spot on the beach, waited as the sun set and fireworks started.

P1240389.JPG

P1240392.JPG

It was a short display, about 5 minutes long, but impressive. There was never a gap in the pyrotechnics. We all loved the show.

P1240394.JPG

P1240395.JPG

P1240397.JPG

P1240398.JPG

We fought our way through the crowds back to our room and called it a night.

Next Up: The Rainbow (Breakfast) Connection and We Swim With the Fishes

Last edited:
Nice update!! Red Lobster, really? :sad2: There was one on the Mississippi Gulf Coast that I never could understand its popularity with all the local restaurants that got their seafood fresh daily from the docks and not delivered in frozen like RL. No worries though...there was one good thing about Hurricane Katrina, it took care of RL (and unfortunately everything else on the Coast) and it was never rebuilt. Looking forward to more of your TR.

Great update. That view is gorgeous and I imagine it was pure bliss to sit and have some "me time" while enjoying it. So good of Mark to take the boys to the museum which looks pretty cool too. Love the sunset and fireworks photos- simply stunning sunset. Perfect end to the day

Ben and Nate love military history. They know WAY too much about guns and weapons (as my husband learned accompanying them).
Our oldest grandson used to love dinosaurs. Now it is tanks. I guess it is a "guy" thing. :confused3 It was nice to have that hour to yourself.

It always bothers me that it is called shave ice instead of shaved ice. I want to put the "d" there. :p

Been at airport since 6. Plane has been here but they can't find a gate. We are told once the plane at our gate leaves we are next to board. Better a 3 hour delay than cancel though.

Been at airport since 6. Plane has been here but they can't find a gate. We are told once the plane at our gate leaves we are next to board. Better a 3 hour delay than cancel though.
Oh Dee I'm really rooting for you. Hope you're on your way soon. Keep your chin up and hang in there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter