A Signature a Day Keeps Reality Away: A Sep '15 Dining Report - Updated 4/11 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your Epcot snacks! After falling in love with the Grey Goose slushie last March, I now need to add the grapefruit beer and avocado margarita to my list! We get a really lovely Austrian grapefruit beer here; Steigl Radler. Is it available in your area? We're not scheduled for Epcot until Monday of our trip but I may have to sneak over Sunday morning to try some of those yummy snacks. The advantage of staying at the Yacht Club!
You add grapefruit beer and avocado to your list and I'll add the Grey Goose slushy to mine ; )

I'll have to look for that beer. I sadly tend to me more of a miller lite kinda girl at home, so I don't ever venture too far into the beer section. But I'll have to look into that one. Would so love some.

We'll be at beach club next trip and I'm so looking forward to the quick Epcot walk too and all the goodies that come with it ; )

Think I've said it before, but just love your vacation style. Cannot beat a leisurely afternoon enjoying treats around WS. You just reminded me of the "Cronut." Goodness I love that thing. Adding to my must-do list. But have you noticed the birds in that area are kind of aggressive in trying to get snacks or is that just me? I am admittedly not a bird fan.
Ah, thanks. You really can't beat a stroll around Ep-A-Cot with some delicious drinks and treats. Casey isn't often in the mood to tolerate it, so we milked this one for all it was worth.

Never noticed the birds by the cronut stand before, but I also don't think we ever stuck around there to eat it. Usually we walk and eat or this time Jason brought it down by Duffy so maybe that makes a difference. Cause me certainly no likey da birdies either

I can't wait to try a Cronut in 8 months time, they look amazing :goodvibes
You are so gonna love it. I think it is genetically impossible to not ; )

So nice of you to share your margarita with Jason! ;) I'll have to try that one sometime. And hey, at least she wasn't climbing the Mexican pyramid!?
Hey what can I say, when ya think nice ya think me right ; ) And yes we were very lucky Casey didn't scale the pyramid or try and run off with the mariachi band. Both of which could have been distinct possibilities

Ah, I loved this!! Definitely a hidden item I never knew about until reading the boards.. delicious.
We have a grocery story up here tat serves them, but they are no where near as good as the Disney version.

I was going to make the same comment about Prince Philip :rotfl: I mean I'm not that old but some of these princesses/prince in this case look so young to me.. Prince Philip looks like he's 15. What a cool meet up though!!
I think 15 is generous. We were going for a solid 12 ; )

So glad you enjoyed the almond cheesecake!!! It really is amazing.

Schoolbread, a cronut and an avocado margarita sounds like absolute heaven! Very jealous of your Epcot snacks.
Thanks again for the cheesecake tip. Would have skipped right over it had it not been for you ; )

And snacks were not only wordily, but when you think about it they really are just coconut, bread, and avocado so healthy too :-)

A DELICIOUS Ep-a-cot day!!!

I am not much of a drinker, but might be willing to consider that avocado margarita.

Also love that family photo.
Wish I could say I wasn't much of a drinker, but even if i wasn't I think you'd like the margarita. it is oh so deliciouso

They do have some weird and wonderful stuff in there, don't they?
I could get lost in there for hours if my family would tolerate it. You'll see we head back later in the trip and you won't believe what I ended up paying 50 bucks for ; )

s that anything similar to the shandy? Half beer/ half lemonade? It sounds wonderful! The shandy is my go to adult beverage of choice at the moment!
It is definitely more beer like and not as sweet as a shandy, but delicious none the less

I like your style of child rearing :thumbsup2
As long as that isn't code for you're really calling child services, thanks ; )

Mmmmmmm....cronut..( in my best Homer Simpson voice). Another must do!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The avocado margarita is a very popular drink on the Dis. I haven't tried it yet, but I've been tempted many times. I've heard that La Cava serves the best one.
Sue, you must not resist temptations and give in, give in I say. You won't be disappointed ; )

I am in total agreement about the grapefruit beer and avocado margarita. Both of those are must haves for me at Epcot. I am not a big sweet person, so I have never tried the cronut. I know it gets rave reviews on here and does sound interesting.
I'm not a huge sweets person either, but love me a good croissant. So fry that bad boy up and its a winner for me.

I've read about this on lots of TRs and groups lately. It does sound super refreshing...especially after chasing 3 boys are Epcot all morning. Going on the list for our next trip!
After chasing 3 boys, I think you deserve one for each of them ; )

This sounds yummy too! I do love avocado but I'm having a hard time imagining this. The avocado flavor isn't very strong? I think this is on the list for next trip too!
I had a hard time imagining it too and ended up just giving in cause I heard so much about it. Thankfully I wasn't disappointed. The avocado flavor is really barely there, it adds creaminess more than anything. They are so good we actually figured out how to make them at home. Can't quite get it exactly the same, so continue to do my Epcot drinking in the name of research of course ; )

Hi,

Joining late but loving this trip report! Fantastic pictures and Casey is so adorable. I've never been to Yak and Yeti (my kids are a little finicky) your trip report makes me want to try it!

So glad you had a great meal at Narcoosees, that's our favorite signature of all time. I caw the Ace cider on the menu at Narcroosees, i'll be sure to try it this summer.

I'm already obsessing about our August trip and where we are going to eat. I'm enjoying this trip report, you are giving me a list of must try's . Cronut is now on my list too!

~ Marina
Better late than never, welcome to the food party ; )

You should definitely give Yak n Yeti a whirl. Casey was in a mood on our last visit and just ordered a hamburger from the kids menu, so they should have something for your kids to eat.

I'm not sure why it took us so long to get to Narcoosee's, but I'm so glad we found it. We'll definitely be back on our next trip. And give that cider a whirl, it was really good.

All the snacks look so yummy, I have tried the cronut and it was very good. I have to try the school bread in April, I think I will enjoy it, from the description. It looks like a nice afternoon of drinks and treats!
Definitely give the school bread a while on your next trip. If you like coconut, it should be a lock to enjoy it.

Lmao about Prince Philip! Nice blush there, handsome ;) Definitely a cool meet though, I love those IG "surprise" training meets.
School Bread is my absolute favorite snack in WDW :) DH and I tried the Cronut for the first time in Nov. His comment was "It's too greasy". I was like, "What??!! Well then just pass that puppy over here, I'll take care of it!"
I know right, I've never quite seen anything like Prince Phillip. Though I'm still questioning if he was using blush or just hormonal from puberty ; )

Woohoo for the school bread lovers club ; ) Jason is more of a cronut man, but I'm all about the school bread.

I was just talking about school bad today. Never tried it. Mike finds the coconut idea off putting. I need to try it though. I can get my own Snack once in awhile right?

Everything looks amazing at Narcoosee. Haven't hem there in a very long time. I need to add it to the rotation.

Thanks for the great updates.
Sounds like you have two of your own snacks lined up now ; )

Nothing I love more than wandering around WS and picking up a snack and drink here and there :thumbsup2 Also love something totally random occupies the kiddos!!! :rotfl:
It had been a while since we'd had some fun wandering time in the WS so this was even sweeter than normal. And I'm right there with ya on random things occupying the kids. Never would have picked this one, but we certainly milked it for all it was worth.

I love the grapefruit beer and the avocado margarita!! I agree that it's the best margarita there is. I tried school bread a few trips ago and it was 'meh' for me. Maybe since we took it to go and had it the next morning for breakfast. :confused3 That cronut, however, is going right on my must -have list for August! Yum! Cute pics of you guys!
I'll forgive you on the school bread for your love of grapefruit beer and avocado. Cause of course I'm a girl who would rather drink that eat any day ; ) Though I've been known to eat a few school breads for breakfast too, so if you didn't like it then you probably just didn't care for it.

I wanted to try this last month, but sadly on our Germany day, I wasn't feeling the hottest, so I laid off the alcohol. Next time, though!
Sorry you weren't feeling well. Of course this won't surprise you at all, but when I'm not feeling hot I just figure its alcohol withdrawal and drink up I do :drinking1:rotfl2:

Maaaaan, this looks so good. I haven't had school bread since 2009. Might be time to revisit this one!
7 years Billie! Ya gots ta fix that gurl ; )

Unnfff. Another WANT that keeps getting put on the back burner. Going to have to make is a priority in October!!
Be sure to put cronut on your spreadsheet so you don't forget ; )

What on earth is he wearing? I just watched Sleeping Beauty 2 nights ago, and I definitely do NOT remember that goofy outfit.
I have no idea what he was wearing, I have no idea why he wasn't in middle school, I have no idea why he has make-up caked on. I just got nothing on this one

Wow! You just did my perfect snack-a-thon at Epcot. Avocado Margarita. Yess. And the cronut. No ice cream needed. :-)
Perfect snack-a-athon, I like that. And after an icy margarita, definitely no ice cream needed ; ) I don't need any cream messing with my beloved fried goodness

'm a bit late getting to it, but I just had a suggestion for you. We ate at the Plaza our last trip and my DD, who was 14 then, is a bit of a picky eater. She was only interested in the Kid's menu grilled cheese, so our server offered to give us an adult size portion of the kid's grilled cheese (extra cost, of course). So if you ever find yourself at The Plaza again, that may be an option. :)
That is a great idea, thanks!!!! Casey usually just eats whatever I do so I don't even look at the kids menu so I totally missed this. Know I know what I'll be eating in August ; )

Thanks for sharing. Love all the pictures.
You are most welcome. And thank you for reading.

Just joining in. I hope to try the cronut and the school bread on our next trip.
:welcome: Definitely make sometime to snack around the world and you can do your very own cronut/school bread taste test ; )

You have never had a Grey Goose Slushy? Oh my they are out of this world! They rank of there with the Adult Peanut Butter Freeze from Flying Fish!

I am also shocked you have not had a Grey Goose slushie! I tried the Grand Marnier one this trip and while good, I am still a GG fan!

So disappointed it was rainy and cold on our Ep-A-Cot day so no snacking for us. I love the cronut and the school bread! DS and I will definitely make up for that in March!

You have never had a Grey Goose Slushy? Oh my they are out of this world! They rank of there with the Adult Peanut Butter Freeze from Flying Fish!
I know, blasphemy right???? Never had the adult PB freeze either, but I'm allergic to peanuts so at least I have a good reason there.

I am also shocked you have not had a Grey Goose slushie! I tried the Grand Marnier one this trip and while good, I am still a GG fan!

So disappointed it was rainy and cold on our Ep-A-Cot day so no snacking for us. I love the cronut and the school bread! DS and I will definitely make up for that in March!
I'm actually pretty darn shocked myself I never had it. In my defense I'm really not a big fan of frozen drinks, so I think that is why I've never bit the proverbial bullet. But i'll be sure to have one on our next trip just for you ; )

I'm actually pretty darn shocked myself I never had it. In my defense I'm really not a big fan of frozen drinks, so I think that is why I've never bit the proverbial bullet. But i'll be sure to have one on our next trip just for you ; )

Its funny, I am used to have them in the summer when they melt very, very quickly so not so much a frozen drink! This past trip I felt like I kept slurping and slurping but the drink wasn't going down! It was chilly so not much melting!

More Mac 'N Cheese? Yes Please

Despite gorging ourselves in food and liquid at Ep-A-Cot we were soon hungry again. We didn't have any plans for the evening so to the trusty (insert sarcasm here) Disney website we went. After contemplating a trip to Downtown Disney to give Boathouse a whirl, we ultimately settled on our go to signature restaurant: Jiko. And with the wonder of the monorail we left our room, got to MK, and got a bus to AKL, all in under 45 minutes. Not too shabby.

We stopped for a quick photo of my two favorite peeps at the entrance

Before being shown to our table, which had this view of the lovely restaurant

As we contemplated our dining choices, our very attentive waiter started us with some bread.

This was either poppy or pumpernickel bread with some butter and was decidedly not African. I'm not sure what happened to their regular bread service with the tandoori butter, but hopefully its not gone forever as it was delicious.

With the bread doing literally nothing for us, we decided to start with the Taste of Africa appetizer.

The menu described this as african-inspired dips served with Khobz, Poppy Seed Lavash, and House-made Naan. We never got a description of what the dips were but there were 2 red ones, one spicier than the other, a humus, and a green garlic sauce. How's that for good food reporting descriptions ; ) We enjoyed the naan bread the most, as well as the spicier of the two red sauces. Casey loved the hummus as it had olives in it and the green one was also pretty good but didn't have a ton of flavor. While this was fine and it made up for the crap bread they served us earlier, it was not even remotely in the same league as Sanaa's bread service.

After my amazing soup on our last Jiko visit, Jason decided to give their latest offering, the Sweet Maize, a whirl.

This was made from Blue Crab, Spiced and Roasted Corn, Dhania Biscuit, and Harissa Crème Fraîche. While not as good as my beloved carrot soup, this was still excellent. The corn provided a nice sweet base and the crab and subtle African spices paired nicely with it. Jason's only complaint was the biscuit was a bit gummy, but still delicious and better than those dang rolls they served us earlier (not bitter at all).

To wash our appetizers and entree's down, we ordered a bottle of The Pepper Pot, which is something we'd enjoyed previously at Sanaa.

This is a South African blend made primarily from Syrah grapes. It is a little fruit forward with some cherry flavors, but finishes with a punch of pepper and spice which I love.

For his entree, Jason was out in left field and went with a Vegetarian Option: The Vegetable and Tofu Samosas.

These were served with Mint-Coconut Chutney, Coriander-Tarmarind Yogurt, and Saffron-Cashew Rice. Despite being an odd choice for my meat and potatoes man, these were delicious. The samosas themselves were nice and crispy and the peas inside and yogurt sauce it was served with added some great freshness. The saffron rice was delicious as well. Jason was happy with his selection as the flavors were excellent and commented it was a good dish on its own merits, not just a good vegetarian meal (though he did add he missed his short ribs).

I debated getting the same amazing fish I'd enjoyed previously, but since we had ordered red wine ultimately decided upon the Chermoula-rubbed Colorado Lamb Chops for Casey and I to share.

This was served with Chickpea-Cumin Dumplings, Wilted Baby Spinach, Roasted Tiny Vegetables, and Fig-Port Wine Reduction. While the picture doesn't do it justice, this was delicious. The lamb was a perfect medium rare with a sweet, garlicky flavor that was made all the better my the delicious fig sauce. The spinach and baby veggies (onions and carrots) were also cooked very well, but the star of the sides were the chickpea dumplings. These were essentially like spaetzel, but with a chickpea flavor and were delicious. While I didn't love this as much as the snapper I'd eaten previously, I wouldn't hesitate to order it again. Casey asked for extra lamb so she must have liked it too and of course what kid isn't a fan of tiny veggies.

To go with our entree's, we couldn't resist another macaroni and cheese which at Jiko is called Braai.

Their version is Chakalaka (a spiced tomato relish), House-made Boerewors Sausage, Provolone, Fontina, Gruyère, and Asiago. This was rich and creamy, but we were a little disappointed by the lack of African flavors. The tomato relish was a nice touch but didn't add too much flavor wise and the sausage ultimately just tasted like bacon (which of course is not a bad thing). This was a good mac n cheese, just no where in the same league as Narcoossee's.

We were too full for dessert and called it a night there. As in our past visits, Jiko does not disappoint. In what can sometimes be a sea of disney uniformity, Jiko offers unique and delicious offerings in one of the most beautiful settings in the resort: Animal Kingdom Lodge. Service has always been attentive, but not in your face, and the staff friendly and accommodating. For now Jiko remains firmly in our #1 signature spot. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $33.17.

We had another efficient trip back to the Polynesian, when the dessert cravings hit Jason and Casey. For Jason, it was a no brainer and he got what I believe was his second dole whip of the trip so far.

Casey decided to break into her "slushi" candy, she'd picked out earlier in the day at Mitsukoshi.

They both enjoyed their choices, even more so as they ate them on our balcony while watching Wishes.

Up next, we take some time to enjoy Polynesia.

First off, Jiko sounds wonderful! I wish we could've experienced that when we stayed at AKL. Next time for sure although it sounds like we may have to start out at Sanaa for some bread service ;)

af83d847-7706-4bee-97a1-72e8633238fe.jpg

Awww, really cute picture!!

Your bread service does look good, but like you said, I am sure Sanaa's is still #1!

You have such adventurous taste and I love it! All of your food looks delicious, especially the mac and cheese and Jason's soup. And who doesn't love tiny carrots?!

Yummers to Jiko! I have never been to AKL but I can see it's yet another destination I need to add to my list. Why is there never enough time at Disney to do everything I want to do???

Sounds like another fantastic meal at Jiko! With all these amazing signature meals you're making it hard to choose just one for our next trip. ;)

Jiko was DS's favorite after our first couple of trips but we haven't been back in several trips. Artist Point is his new first love and I have been partial to Flying Fish. DH and I are debating where we will stay for our as of yet unbooked October trip but AKL is in the running. I am sure we will hit Jiko if we end up staying there. (I admit, I am hoping for the Boardwalk!)

Your meal looks really good. Not sure I would have enjoyed the mac & cheese though. I don't eat lamb but DS would have loved it I am sure!

Looks like a wonderful meal at Jiko! I really think its awesome that Casey is so willing to eat whatever it is you are having . That lamb looks good!

Joining in a little late, love your dining reports! You've made me hungry! I can't wait to see where you go next!

While this was fine and it made up for the crap bread they served us earlier, it was not even remotely in the same league as Sanaa's bread service.

I'm sorry the bread service was disappointing. I'm thinking of Sanaa for October for the Naan service.

Casey asked for extra lamb so she must have liked it too and of course what kid isn't a fan of tiny veggies.

Right? Tiny vegetables for the win!

They both enjoyed their choices, even more so as they ate them on our balcony while watching Wishes.

Now that sounds just about perfect! And that sushi candy kit that Casey has looks like something we will need to look for in May - the boys would love it!

I'm glad Jiko was once again a great experience!

Just joining in, but I had to say something as a fellow DC dweller! I may have gone to JMU, but I still say yay Hokies. :) If you liked the lobster mac and cheese at Narcoossee's, you should definitely check out Cheesetique in Shirlington and Alexandria. They have all types of mac and cheese, but their lobster one is my favorite! Oooey gooey goodness.

I'm taking so many notes for my upcoming trip! My DF and I have a bucket list of hitting every signature restaurant and at least one restaurant in each pavilion in the World Showcase, so this trip report is so helpful! Jiko is definitely getting bumped up higher on that list after your review.

Glad you guys had a great meal at Jiko. I wish my hubby would go back, we had a terrible meal there back in 2009 and haven't returned. One of these days we will.

Thank you for the great review of Jiko! Love the pics. Jiko is on the radar but I love Sanaa and since its what I know, its hard to make that leap. Jiko gets lots of love on the Boards but we don't always see that many pics so your review was a real plus & pick me up on this cold Monday! :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter