A seating for people with disabilities psa...

So sorry this happened to you. My child has dermatomyositis and this was our first trip to use the das card. You cant tell by looking at him what he has right now. His rashes and other issues are not visible . The infusions and meds he is on is helping him a lot. I had warned him that people may say something or make remarks, I didnt want him to be upset if they did. I was so very impressed with Disney. They really try and make everyone feel welcome. We did not have anyone make any remarks about us using the card.It really helped us a lot. We had great interactions with everyone this trip. Thanks Disney:)

Having an invisible disease is hard especially when yours is a psychological disease . I love disney , but being in crowds make my anxiety disorder go into crazy mode , extreme panic attacks where I am shaking and tears are streaming down my face . But yes on the outside I look normal , I also have athrititis in my back and my sciatic nerve is always flaring up where it's hard to walk.. I sit in an ECV and people think Oh the fat lady is so lazy!!

Having an invisible disease is hard especially when yours is a psychological disease . I love disney , but being in crowds make my anxiety disorder go into crazy mode , extreme panic attacks where I am shaking and tears are streaming down my face . But yes on the outside I look normal , I also have athrititis in my back and my sciatic nerve is always flaring up where it's hard to walk.. I sit in an ECV and people think Oh the fat lady is so lazy!!
I don't have any problems in Disney I've had lots of problems at my local stores with people I was followed by a family in Walmart once with the father saying things about me just being fat and lazy . In Disney most people are busy looking at everything

I don't have any problems in Disney I've had lots of problems at my local stores with people I was followed by a family in Walmart once with the father saying things about me just being fat and lazy . In Disney most people are busy looking at everything

I walk as much as I can but I can only walk so much with out bringing in extreme pain, this trip I will ignore other people's opinions about me :) and just enjoy my trip

I walk as much as I can but I can only walk so much with out bringing in extreme pain, this trip I will ignore other people's opinions about me :) and just enjoy my trip

I'm the same way. I have moderate to severe scoliosis, and osteoarthritis in addition to what I was born with. I use both a manual, and power wheelchair for long distances. It helps me greatly to avoid the constant back pain I always have when I try to walk for short distances like going into a restaurant.

My guy, and I ate at the Character buffet at Tusker House one day for lunch. We didn't have any advanced reservations even though we did have MagicBands. But, amazingly even though it was pretty crowded. They let us right in, and seated us right away as soon as a table was available.

To the OP: I'm sorry that happened to you. I know how hard it is to be judged. I've had to grow up with it my whole life because of all the surgeries I've had, and having to miss school sometimes to be in the hospital for them. Especially when the surgeries had to take place far away from home.

I love Disney World so much, and can't wait to go back again. I know it may be a few years from now when my guy, and I will get a chance to go back. Especially since we just got back from a two week trip to Australia over my birthday.

I always try to ignore those who judge me, or who gawk at me at Disney World just because I brought my own personal wheelchair to Disney World, and they think I have it easy. My scoliosis is visible because when someone sees me sitting in my manual wheelchair. I tend to lean to the right. My power chair has a special seating system in it that helps keep me sitting straight, so that I won't fall over.

schwabegooftroop i totally relate! I was diagnosed with severe scoliosis (along with eventually, arthritis, osteo, degenerative disc disease, and fibromyalgia) in February 2011, and went to Universal (in a wheelchair, since I had a hard time walking) before my surgery that fall. I was treated in a way I'd hoped to never be treated again. I was shocked to find most people in an amusement park setting do not care about those with special needs, and often look the other way if the person struggling needs help. My boyfriend and I are excited for our Disney trip in October 2016, but now that I'm post surgery, I'm even more limited as to what I can do, how far I can walk, what I can ride, and above all, how long I can stand (or even sit) for extended periods of time. I'm constantly shifting and adjusting myself to get comfortable. As an unmarried twenty something woman with no kids, I can't fully relate to your situation (I can only imagine how hard it can be for a wife/mom in this position) but I understand your mobility struggles and confidence to do as much as you can, all the while trying to do that aid free. The 'perks' in public don't measure up to the negatives in our day to day lives, and I admire your strength! I saw your vacation is next month, and I hope you and your family have an amazing time!!

I am sitting here tonight excitedly planning our family's trip to WDW in May '15!!
I came across this thread because I too have an "invisible illness" that has progressed from the last trip to the House of Mouse that has got me nervous about what to expect.
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It helps so much to know I am not alone in my experiences of having a not always so obvious illness and how others react to it. I didn't realize how much it affects me until I began reading everyone stories.

My story:
I am 40 and get the "you're too young speech" a lot. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis), chronic migraines, and fibromyalgia along with the host of symptoms I get just from taking the meds that keep me moving and functioning. By looking at me, I don't look "sick" (at least most of the time). When I am walking long days, doing more strenuous activities, stretching my limits (so I can feel "normal" and keep up with my DH and DS9 and DS7) I use a cane. I have disability cards for parking and fight with myself to use them. I could use them so much more often and should, by the looks get exhausting sometimes.

This past summer we went to Great America. My husband thankfully suggested we use the parking tag because he knew I would be walking more that day and a hike across the long parking lot meant much less energy for me to play with my family in the park. I agreed and had a spot right up by the entrance. We came out at lunchtime for a break and picnic. As we sat there, another family walked by in which one of the adult loudly said "humph-why are THEY parked there? Who's "disabled"? Must be nice!"

I didn't catch it all, but my husband did and was upset. He didn't say anything to them, but told me out of his own frustration.

"Must be nice".

Let's see- must be nice to be 40 and use a cane. It's nice to be questioned and mocked. It's wonderful to be in so much pain all the time. And I absolutely LOVE it when my ribs lock up so bad with inflammation that it makes it hard to breathe. It is nice to be down for the count for several days as a consequence of trying to be with my family having fun for one day. I relish in the fact that my body had NO immune system due to the meds I take to function which means the sniffles to you is a week long affair flirting with the Emergency room, needles, and body aches on par with getting stomped by a T-rex from Dinosaur for me! I could go on....
But hey- I get to park up close! WooHoo!
We get to ride EVCs, and sit closer, and "go to the front of the line" (not).
What a perk!!! :cool1:

Ha! The only reason I do not look "sick" is because I do not want my illness to define me. How I look and and how I truly feel most days are worlds apart. And if the "must be nicers" knew the effort that goes into not playing the victim, they would be amazed. (well- probably not)

To my fellow Invisible Illness friends- again Thank You!! Thank You for reminding me it doesn't matter what "they" think. I know the battle I fight. And I know that trips like the one I am planning are extra special because I can still take them with my family. So what if I use my cane, ask for help, sit a little closer in the "special" seats, or take the last seat on the bus. I do not have to justify or feel guilty. It means I have a little more energy in reserve to stand that extra bit of time to meet Mickey or see my kiddos faces light up at Wishes at the end of a magical day!!

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:
I feel more assured as I get ready for May!! :thumbsup2
I am sitting here tonight excitedly planning our family's trip to WDW in May '15!!
I came across this thread because I too have an "invisible illness" that has progressed from the last trip to the House of Mouse that has got me nervous about what to expect.
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It helps so much to know I am not alone in my experiences of having a not always so obvious illness and how others react to it. I didn't realize how much it affects me until I began reading everyone stories.

My story:
I am 40 and get the "you're too young speech" a lot. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis), chronic migraines, and fibromyalgia along with the host of symptoms I get just from taking the meds that keep me moving and functioning. By looking at me, I don't look "sick" (at least most of the time). When I am walking long days, doing more strenuous activities, stretching my limits (so I can feel "normal" and keep up with my DH and DS9 and DS7) I use a cane. I have disability cards for parking and fight with myself to use them. I could use them so much more often and should, by the looks get exhausting sometimes.

This past summer we went to Great America. My husband thankfully suggested we use the parking tag because he knew I would be walking more that day and a hike across the long parking lot meant much less energy for me to play with my family in the park. I agreed and had a spot right up by the entrance. We came out at lunchtime for a break and picnic. As we sat there, another family walked by in which one of the adult loudly said "humph-why are THEY parked there? Who's "disabled"? Must be nice!"

I didn't catch it all, but my husband did and was upset. He didn't say anything to them, but told me out of his own frustration.

"Must be nice".

Let's see- must be nice to be 40 and use a cane. It's nice to be questioned and mocked. It's wonderful to be in so much pain all the time. And I absolutely LOVE it when my ribs lock up so bad with inflammation that it makes it hard to breathe. It is nice to be down for the count for several days as a consequence of trying to be with my family having fun for one day. I relish in the fact that my body had NO immune system due to the meds I take to function which means the sniffles to you is a week long affair flirting with the Emergency room, needles, and body aches on par with getting stomped by a T-rex from Dinosaur for me! I could go on....
But hey- I get to park up close! WooHoo!
We get to ride EVCs, and sit closer, and "go to the front of the line" (not).
What a perk!!! :cool1:

Ha! The only reason I do not look "sick" is because I do not want my illness to define me. How I look and and how I truly feel most days are worlds apart. And if the "must be nicers" knew the effort that goes into not playing the victim, they would be amazed. (well- probably not)

To my fellow Invisible Illness friends- again Thank You!! Thank You for reminding me it doesn't matter what "they" think. I know the battle I fight. And I know that trips like the one I am planning are extra special because I can still take them with my family. So what if I use my cane, ask for help, sit a little closer in the "special" seats, or take the last seat on the bus. I do not have to justify or feel guilty. It means I have a little more energy in reserve to stand that extra bit of time to meet Mickey or see my kiddos faces light up at Wishes at the end of a magical day!!

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:
I feel more assured as I get ready for May!! :thumbsup2

Invisible Illness - i live with a couple of them. I have a disabled parking placard and people LOVE to judge and try to make me feeble about using it. things like this have aided me in growing a very thick skin. If someone's life is so sad that they have to be that mean or make nasty comments, THEY are the one who loses and looks horrible, not us. There are a lot of jerks in the world, but thankfully a lot of great people too. I leave in 13 days for my WDW trip and just let em try and make me feel bad about who I am and what I live with. We deserve to have a great trip and don't let the meanies wreck yours, sweet people! YOU ROCK!!!!! xoxo

Rheumatoid arthritis, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, surgeries since I was 8. I walk on crutches a tiny bit, but 90% of my life is in my blue wheelchair. There will always be someone looking at you like you shouldn't be there, and it hurts, it really does. At Disneyland a smarmy woman that was trying to get in the disability line at Pirates of Caribbean implied that I had been paid to be there with a family, the family was mine. My brother his 2 sons, my children, and my husband, it made me feel angry. At those times I just have to breathe and remember negative energy can't touch me if I do't let it- an ongoing struggle that. ;) At the same time there are so many truly incredible souls in this world that the good vastly outweigh the bad! :goodvibes

There are always people who think they can 'see' who is disabled or not. Most if them are very willing to 'call out' those who don't look disabled to them.

Most of the time they are dead wrong, but that doesn't stop them. We've heard comments about my youngest DD like, "I just hate it when people rent wheelchairs just to get ahead in line."
How did they determine she was "not disabled"?
Well, I guess it probably was because she was sitting on a bench, with her legs crossed and her wheelchair parked next to her. If they would have looked a bit more, they would have noticed that the wheelchair was no rental - it was pretty personalized with a thick gel seat, specialized seat and back and foot straps yo hold her feet in. It actually cost more than my first car.
And, my DD can't even stand or walk. But, the people who saw her didn't see us lift her onto the bench, so to them, she was not disabled.

Karma will catch up with them someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter