A seating for people with disabilities psa...

...but unfortunately the people who need to hear the message are not likely to be reading it.

Those particular people might not be. but there are lots of people on the Internet, and who knows? Maybe somebody will see it and it might plant a seed in their mind that could affect their behavior the next time they're tempted to make a snap judgment about others.

My opinion is that we need to talk openly about these things, in public fora like this one, in order for any positive change to have a hope of ever occurring. Keeping quiet and just sucking it up may help in the moment, but it's never going to be any different if we never talk about what a problem it is.

I have never really had this issue. I have braces on my wrists, on my feet, and I walk funny. and slow. If I'm in my wheelchair they recognize it's mine since it's pink. So most of the time I'm pretty "visible".

THEN a few weeks ago we were leaving a restaurant one night after dinner and some man saw my husband strapping in my daughter to her car seat and started doing that shame-shame finger thing at me while making an angry face (we were parked in handicapped parking, and I was already in my seat). I was SO ticked.

I followed him into the restaurant and asked him if that was him shaming me. He said it was, and how dare I park in the spots reserved for old (I'm almost 40 but look about 25) folks. I launched into a tirade about my EDS. I asked him which scars he'd like to see first-I've had 15 joint surgeries, he could take his pick! I said I was lucky to have the energy to eat out with my family, and walking across the lot would mean I wouldn't make it through dinner. I'm sure I said other things, including pointing out my doctor had signed off on a permanent parking placard, but I was so ticked that I don't remember. He started screaming (yes, screaming. I'm not exaggerating :rolleyes2) I'm sorry at me. repeatedly. I just walked out.

That was NOT a fun experience.

Then I got the idea on another board to make up some business cards at vistaprint explaining what I have and where to get more info. They are arriving any day and I can't wait. Not only can I just hand off the card and walk away from those that behaved like Mr. restaurant, but I can do the same to the cashier/stocker/john q. public without launching into huge explanations. To me it seems this is a much better option than the stressful encounter I had at the restaurant, and certainly better than hearing how their carpal tunnel surgery cured them...why haven't I tried it?

Ya know, sometimes I think we need threads like this just so we know we are not alone.

I agree. I think that these threads can benefit other people going to Disney with disabilities. They let you know that this does happen, that it happens to other people, and not to take it personally. It helps not to be blindsided by the rudeness and to know that you just need to ignore it.

OP this type of thing will always happen. Some people in this world just love to complain and make waves...they will find something to make a negative comment about and if there is nothing obvious, they will make up a reason for that negativity. Others simply crave finding fault in others and being the one to point out anything that may be wrong in their opinion. You can't let these types of people get to you.

I have never really had this issue. I have braces on my wrists, on my feet, and I walk funny. and slow. If I'm in my wheelchair they recognize it's mine since it's pink. So most of the time I'm pretty "visible".

THEN a few weeks ago we were leaving a restaurant one night after dinner and some man saw my husband strapping in my daughter to her car seat and started doing that shame-shame finger thing at me while making an angry face (we were parked in handicapped parking, and I was already in my seat). I was SO ticked.

I followed him into the restaurant and asked him if that was him shaming me. He said it was, and how dare I park in the spots reserved for old (I'm almost 40 but look about 25) folks. I launched into a tirade about my EDS. I asked him which scars he'd like to see first-I've had 15 joint surgeries, he could take his pick! I said I was lucky to have the energy to eat out with my family, and walking across the lot would mean I wouldn't make it through dinner. I'm sure I said other things, including pointing out my doctor had signed off on a permanent parking placard, but I was so ticked that I don't remember. He started screaming (yes, screaming. I'm not exaggerating :rolleyes2) I'm sorry at me. repeatedly. I just walked out.

That was NOT a fun experience.

Then I got the idea on another board to make up some business cards at vistaprint explaining what I have and where to get more info. They are arriving any day and I can't wait. Not only can I just hand off the card and walk away from those that behaved like Mr. restaurant, but I can do the same to the cashier/stocker/john q. public without launching into huge explanations. To me it seems this is a much better option than the stressful encounter I had at the restaurant, and certainly better than hearing how their carpal tunnel surgery cured them...why haven't I tried it?
I'm sorry that you had to go through that.

Reminds me of a somewhat funny incident I had (or rather that my boyfriend had) when we went to the grocery store a couple of years ago. I use a walker (pink too) and I was having a particularly difficult time at the end of the shopping trip. He went ahead of me with the cart full of groceries to load the car.

Apparently, an older man and his wife we walking by and the man made a very LOUD comment about how my boyfriend didn't need to be parked in that spot because there's clearly nothing wrong with him. This was apparently right when I made my entrance onto the scene...walking very very slowly with my pink walker. His wife smacked him on the back of the head (quite hard) and asked him if he felt as stupid as he should. He looked pretty guilty and contrite...I hope he learned a lesson from it.

I don't think I would ever bother approaching someone for comments they would make about whether I NEED the handicap parking placard or the walker. I just shake it off...I know the truth about what I need so it doesn't offend me...but I have had people ask me questions about the walker and why I need it. I don't mind answering questions...though some people phrase them in very untactful ways (I don't think they mean anything by it when they do this...some people just don't know how to be polite when they're being nosy).

I've often considered the business card idea or ordering some pamphlets about my condition since it is one that isn't very well known...but so far I haven't placed any orders. I think the cards/pamphlets would come in handy for people who ask about the condition...but I honestly don't think they will help with people who are just rude and make comments based on their assumptions...those just seem like the sort of people to throw the cards away. But I guess if it helps even one person learn a lesson it would be worth it...and extra education out there about a lesser known condition is always a good thing too.

I'd imagine that the OP's DD was upset by the comments and wanted to share her outrage with her family members. I think that is perfectly understandable, especially given that the OP's DDs are just 15 and 20.

And why did you feel the need to question the OP's DD? How is that beneficial to the OP? If I were the OP, I would be pretty upset to read your post.

The OP said her daughter told 'just now' but the event happened earlier. That's why I was asking - why was it so important for the daughter to tell her mom, but not when it happened or right after it happened? That's what I was questioning. At 15 and 20, they can process things in a mature way, hopefully, and perhaps if the OP reads this she can have a conversation with her daughters about better ways to handled such a situation. Waiting until days later to tell this info is kind of cruel, IMO. It leaves the person rather helpless to rectify the situation.

The OP said her daughter told 'just now' but the event happened earlier. That's why I was asking - why was it so important for the daughter to tell her mom, but not when it happened or right after it happened? That's what I was questioning. At 15 and 20, they can process things in a mature way, hopefully, and perhaps if the OP reads this she can have a conversation with her daughters about better ways to handled such a situation. Waiting until days later to tell this info is kind of cruel, IMO. It leaves the person rather helpless to rectify the situation.

Whoa, since when did this thread turn into an opportunity for you to be so rude about my DD15? And judgemental about my relationship with her? Too right I'm upset.

For your information, I bought up the topic some time after the event, when something reminded me of it. The people sat behind us had to move their feet off our seat when we sat down, and they gave us very dirty looks, which at the time I put down to the fact that they had to move their very comfy feet to allow us to use the seat for what it was supposed to be used for! DD then told us what they had said, which she was very upset and indignant about, and which she hadn't told me about at the time because she realised I was too far away to hear and that it would have upset me if I had heard. She was so upset I think she needed to rant about it.

My daughter is a very loving and sensitive young lady, and has been caring and very protective of me since my diagnosis. If you knew her then you would know that cruel is the last thing she should be called. You may not have intended them so, but I find your comments very offensive.

Those particular people might not be. but there are lots of people on the Internet, and who knows? Maybe somebody will see it and it might plant a seed in their mind that could affect their behavior the next time they're tempted to make a snap judgment about others. My opinion is that we need to talk openly about these things, in public fora like this one, in order for any positive change to have a hope of ever occurring. Keeping quiet and just sucking it up may help in the moment, but it's never going to be any different if we never talk about what a problem it is.

Bingo! You have summed it up perfectly! Thank you.

I find that people are pretty clueless sometimes!

We were heading into Disney Jr. and I had DS stroller with the wheelchair tag, and was pushing him. Another mom in line told me that strollers weren't allowed, and I nicely showed her the sticker, and explained it was his wheelchair. She replied "oh! Lucky you!!" I just looked at my DH and laughed. Only at Disney do others get jealous of those with disabilities, wheelchairs, etc!

We were heading into Disney Jr. and I had DS stroller with the wheelchair tag, and was pushing him. Another mom in line told me that strollers weren't allowed, and I nicely showed her the sticker, and explained it was his wheelchair. She replied "oh! Lucky you!!" I just looked at my DH and laughed. Only at Disney do others get jealous of those with disabilities, wheelchairs, etc!

FWIW she likely wasn't actually jealous. She just wasn't thinking.

My mom died in '00. I took all her costume and nice jewelry home with me after the funeral. I had a carryon bag filled with trays of her jewelry. It was pretty obvious in the xray machine, and they pulled me aside. They asked, I said I had just inherited all my mom's jewelry. She said "how lucky for you!"

She just wasn't thinking. Her face fell as soon as she said it and heard it in her head. The head tilt I did helped with the realization process. (a friend of mine had the same experience repeatedly when his wealthy father died and people said how lucky he was to have an inheritance)

Reading through this thread, it's mentioned that these conversations should be had in public. Yes. Which means actually having them, doesn't it? If someone is trying to protect a seat or a parking space for someone that fits their definition of someone who needs it, that's not a horrid thing, right? THEY aren't trying to park there or sit there; they think that some *other* person should. So if that's mentioned, that's the conversation-starter, right?

I've learned so much from these boards and a particular experience I had in the past with a living situation. I have some relatives who go to the parka often, and they have had incidents like a person on a scooter running over a foot and not stopping or apologizing. They've seen very small service dogs. etc. They talk about it with me. I talk about it with them, giving them what I've learned over the years (not just from here). What a tiny dog can help with and how it could very well be a service dog (just not necessarily a Seeing Eye Dog). How scooters do not stop on a dime, and especially with the family members' eye problems they need to make sure they aren't in the way. etc. I have the conversations with them when the conversations come up. I hope that if they ever said something to someone (which they wouldn't do) that someone would simply have the conversation with them, instead of not doing so but grumbling later, OR that they would do it civilly.

After all, they would likely just be trying to save that seat/parking space for someone else, someone that matches their ideas. That's not ghastly, is it? To realize that you look healthy enough that someone doesn't assume otherwise?

I had a funny story, which was the only time someone at WDW tried to be rude to me about using an ECV. A little boy, maybe three or four – you know, the age where everything on wheels looks like an exciting toy – saw me in my ECV and said, all innocence, “I want one of those!”

The older lady with him, who I assumed was his mother or grandmother, gave me the stinkeye and said, “Yeah, it sure must be nice.”

I smiled at the little boy and said, “Yeah, it is nice! But you’d have to trade my broken foot for one of yours!”

He just giggled, because the idea of trading feet sounds silly to a kid, but the woman looked just as ashamed as she should have been and hurried the both of them off. It will always be a good memory for me.

I wonder how that would work with my Fibromyalgia since I have been told, even by a Dr, that it is a fake disease and all in my head. I SOOOO wanted a Freaky Friday moment with that Dr.

Hi olwyngdh: I, too, have the invisible disease of fibromyalgia. I KNOw how it works. I just do the best I can trying to walk with all the pain that can't be seen, and try to look "normal"! I have a type of fms that is "a malignant form of fms that will only get worse and nothing will help". That is what my rheumatologist said. Unfortunately he was right. I have found that over the years, if I take aminimal amount of pain medications every day, I can function in the mornings, but have to rest and live with pain the rest of the day. My husband and I LOVE WDW and won't give it up. I just walk slower, and have frequent rest periods. So please have patience for those of us who move a little slower and stiffer because we wouldn't if we could. I must look in a lot of pain because I always get offered a seat on the buses to and from the park, which is much appreciated. There are kind people out there! My advise about your doctor? Find another one. Fms is a real disease substantiated by real neurological findings. Please look at fms network or other fine fms sites that have documented studies about the causes and workings of fms. They also have wonderful information about dealing with fms. They also have interaction with others with fms. That helps me the most, talking with others who have this "invisible" disease. Please don't be embarrassed by your illness; it is "real". Have a great time at WDW:)

I am sitting here tonight excitedly planning our family's trip to WDW in May '15!!
I came across this thread because I too have an "invisible illness" that has progressed from the last trip to the House of Mouse that has got me nervous about what to expect.
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It helps so much to know I am not alone in my experiences of having a not always so obvious illness and how others react to it. I didn't realize how much it affects me until I began reading everyone stories.

My story:
I am 40 and get the "you're too young speech" a lot. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis), chronic migraines, and fibromyalgia along with the host of symptoms I get just from taking the meds that keep me moving and functioning. By looking at me, I don't look "sick" (at least most of the time). When I am walking long days, doing more strenuous activities, stretching my limits (so I can feel "normal" and keep up with my DH and DS9 and DS7) I use a cane. I have disability cards for parking and fight with myself to use them. I could use them so much more often and should, by the looks get exhausting sometimes.

This past summer we went to Great America. My husband thankfully suggested we use the parking tag because he knew I would be walking more that day and a hike across the long parking lot meant much less energy for me to play with my family in the park. I agreed and had a spot right up by the entrance. We came out at lunchtime for a break and picnic. As we sat there, another family walked by in which one of the adult loudly said "humph-why are THEY parked there? Who's "disabled"? Must be nice!"

I didn't catch it all, but my husband did and was upset. He didn't say anything to them, but told me out of his own frustration.

"Must be nice".

Let's see- must be nice to be 40 and use a cane. It's nice to be questioned and mocked. It's wonderful to be in so much pain all the time. And I absolutely LOVE it when my ribs lock up so bad with inflammation that it makes it hard to breathe. It is nice to be down for the count for several days as a consequence of trying to be with my family having fun for one day. I relish in the fact that my body had NO immune system due to the meds I take to function which means the sniffles to you is a week long affair flirting with the Emergency room, needles, and body aches on par with getting stomped by a T-rex from Dinosaur for me! I could go on....
But hey- I get to park up close! WooHoo!
We get to ride EVCs, and sit closer, and "go to the front of the line" (not).
What a perk!!! :cool1:

Ha! The only reason I do not look "sick" is because I do not want my illness to define me. How I look and and how I truly feel most days are worlds apart. And if the "must be nicers" knew the effort that goes into not playing the victim, they would be amazed. (well- probably not)

To my fellow Invisible Illness friends- again Thank You!! Thank You for reminding me it doesn't matter what "they" think. I know the battle I fight. And I know that trips like the one I am planning are extra special because I can still take them with my family. So what if I use my cane, ask for help, sit a little closer in the "special" seats, or take the last seat on the bus. I do not have to justify or feel guilty. It means I have a little more energy in reserve to stand that extra bit of time to meet Mickey or see my kiddos faces light up at Wishes at the end of a magical day!!

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:
I feel more assured as I get ready for May!! :thumbsup2

I am sitting here tonight excitedly planning our family's trip to WDW in May '15!! I came across this thread because I too have an "invisible illness" that has progressed from the last trip to the House of Mouse that has got me nervous about what to expect. I just want to say thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It helps so much to know I am not alone in my experiences of having a not always so obvious illness and how others react to it. I didn't realize how much it affects me until I began reading everyone stories. My story: I am 40 and get the "you're too young speech" a lot. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis), chronic migraines, and fibromyalgia along with the host of symptoms I get just from taking the meds that keep me moving and functioning. By looking at me, I don't look "sick" (at least most of the time). When I am walking long days, doing more strenuous activities, stretching my limits (so I can feel "normal" and keep up with my DH and DS9 and DS7) I use a cane. I have disability cards for parking and fight with myself to use them. I could use them so much more often and should, by the looks get exhausting sometimes. This past summer we went to Great America. My husband thankfully suggested we use the parking tag because he knew I would be walking more that day and a hike across the long parking lot meant much less energy for me to play with my family in the park. I agreed and had a spot right up by the entrance. We came out at lunchtime for a break and picnic. As we sat there, another family walked by in which one of the adult loudly said "humph-why are THEY parked there? Who's "disabled"? Must be nice!" I didn't catch it all, but my husband did and was upset. He didn't say anything to them, but told me out of his own frustration. "Must be nice". Let's see- must be nice to be 40 and use a cane. It's nice to be questioned and mocked. It's wonderful to be in so much pain all the time. And I absolutely LOVE it when my ribs lock up so bad with inflammation that it makes it hard to breathe. It is nice to be down for the count for several days as a consequence of trying to be with my family having fun for one day. I relish in the fact that my body had NO immune system due to the meds I take to function which means the sniffles to you is a week long affair flirting with the Emergency room, needles, and body aches on par with getting stomped by a T-rex from Dinosaur for me! I could go on.... But hey- I get to park up close! WooHoo! We get to ride EVCs, and sit closer, and "go to the front of the line" (not). What a perk!!! :cool1: Ha! The only reason I do not look "sick" is because I do not want my illness to define me. How I look and and how I truly feel most days are worlds apart. And if the "must be nicers" knew the effort that goes into not playing the victim, they would be amazed. (well- probably not) To my fellow Invisible Illness friends- again Thank You!! Thank You for reminding me it doesn't matter what "they" think. I know the battle I fight. And I know that trips like the one I am planning are extra special because I can still take them with my family. So what if I use my cane, ask for help, sit a little closer in the "special" seats, or take the last seat on the bus. I do not have to justify or feel guilty. It means I have a little more energy in reserve to stand that extra bit of time to meet Mickey or see my kiddos faces light up at Wishes at the end of a magical day!! Hugs to all of you! :grouphug: I feel more assured as I get ready for May!! :thumbsup2
People like that suffer from their own disability called stupidity! When I encounter rude, miserable people like that I just say a simple thank you to God that I don't have to live with a person like that!

I am sitting here tonight excitedly planning our family's trip to WDW in May '15!!
I came across this thread because I too have an "invisible illness" that has progressed from the last trip to the House of Mouse that has got me nervous about what to expect.
I just want to say thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It helps so much to know I am not alone in my experiences of having a not always so obvious illness and how others react to it. I didn't realize how much it affects me until I began reading everyone stories.

My story:
I am 40 and get the "you're too young speech" a lot. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (autoimmune arthritis), chronic migraines, and fibromyalgia along with the host of symptoms I get just from taking the meds that keep me moving and functioning. By looking at me, I don't look "sick" (at least most of the time). When I am walking long days, doing more strenuous activities, stretching my limits (so I can feel "normal" and keep up with my DH and DS9 and DS7) I use a cane. I have disability cards for parking and fight with myself to use them. I could use them so much more often and should, by the looks get exhausting sometimes.

This past summer we went to Great America. My husband thankfully suggested we use the parking tag because he knew I would be walking more that day and a hike across the long parking lot meant much less energy for me to play with my family in the park. I agreed and had a spot right up by the entrance. We came out at lunchtime for a break and picnic. As we sat there, another family walked by in which one of the adult loudly said "humph-why are THEY parked there? Who's "disabled"? Must be nice!"

I didn't catch it all, but my husband did and was upset. He didn't say anything to them, but told me out of his own frustration.

"Must be nice".

Let's see- must be nice to be 40 and use a cane. It's nice to be questioned and mocked. It's wonderful to be in so much pain all the time. And I absolutely LOVE it when my ribs lock up so bad with inflammation that it makes it hard to breathe. It is nice to be down for the count for several days as a consequence of trying to be with my family having fun for one day. I relish in the fact that my body had NO immune system due to the meds I take to function which means the sniffles to you is a week long affair flirting with the Emergency room, needles, and body aches on par with getting stomped by a T-rex from Dinosaur for me! I could go on....
But hey- I get to park up close! WooHoo!
We get to ride EVCs, and sit closer, and "go to the front of the line" (not).
What a perk!!! :cool1:

Ha! The only reason I do not look "sick" is because I do not want my illness to define me. How I look and and how I truly feel most days are worlds apart. And if the "must be nicers" knew the effort that goes into not playing the victim, they would be amazed. (well- probably not)

To my fellow Invisible Illness friends- again Thank You!! Thank You for reminding me it doesn't matter what "they" think. I know the battle I fight. And I know that trips like the one I am planning are extra special because I can still take them with my family. So what if I use my cane, ask for help, sit a little closer in the "special" seats, or take the last seat on the bus. I do not have to justify or feel guilty. It means I have a little more energy in reserve to stand that extra bit of time to meet Mickey or see my kiddos faces light up at Wishes at the end of a magical day!!

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:
I feel more assured as I get ready for May!! :thumbsup2

As hard as this is, you just have to try and ignore when people say stuff like that. I think all of us with invisible illnesses have had comments of some form over time, sad but it's true :( doesn't make it hurt any less though.

I've had people yell at me in a carpark for parking in a handicap space :( in fact one time after coming out of a disabled toilet the man in the wheelchair outside gave me such abuse, I didn't shout or scream back just a simple 'as someone with disabilities, I would have thought you would understand that not all disabilities are so visible' I even made it to the car before I cried lol. It's so hard not to let it get to you, I really understand that. sometimes a hidden disability is much worse than a visible one as people can't help but think 'but they look ok', cause we do! Re the bit I've highlighted, I do exactly the same. I put make up, dress nicely and plaster on a big smile to hide the pain inside, I want to be defined on the person I am and not the illness that I have. But then I guess I shouldn't get so upset when people do assume that there's nothing wrong with me as I've spent so long trying to look and act 'normal', I can't have it both ways. I hope I'm making sense.

I'm not saying we should change the way we are, certainly I won't change trying to look my best as I don't WANT people to look at me and instantly know how ill I am, but just sometimes maybe we should cut those people some slack too, in some ways it's a compliment! We are doing such a great job looking good that they assume there's nothing wrong with us and we are 'taking advantage' of disabled spaces/toilets etc.

Have fun on your trip to disney!

It always makes me sad to read these threads, I know what it feels like to have people judge you say nasty things...however ive learned to just smile at them and walk on by,its taken time though and its always horried when im with my children and somebody is being a very LOUD jerk!!

I have plenty of storys about people judging and without fail everytime i park in the disabled spaces somebody will stare and talk about me,or in some cases stare at my family all through dinner muttering.
like i said i now ignore it however 2 years ago a nasty situation happened after my surgery,

My son had a big football match and i was 2wks post op,with a picc line in and a huge bandage still wrapped around my head where i had had my 6th head surgery to remove a tumour and a deep infection that had spread into my mastoid and then into the bones around the base of my skull,
I was 27 at time but i do look like im around 19 maybe a few years older if im dressed up :rotfl:
we had to stop to grab some snacks for the game,so hubby parked in the disabled area and we all went in the shop,on the way out we seen that our car was blocked in by a taxi driver,(who wasnt the problem in this) my husband and the kids walked to the car to put the stuff away while my oldest was walking with me,
when i got to the car,dh was talking to the taxi guy who was getting ready to move the taxi out the way,when this much older lady comes by shouting infront of my kids that she wouldnt have moved the car for us as we shouldnt have been in the space,and that he was disgusting to park in the space! and how we was showing our children how to cheat the system and take advantage.
by this time i had come to see what was happening,when she turns to me and says i should be ashamed of myself,to take up a space meant for disabled and people who need it, and that were lucky as we should have been blocked there all day if she had her way! by this time people are stopping to see what is going on as her ranting is so loud,and were parked right at the entrance to the super market,my husband is trying to tell her to stop shouting as its upsetting me and the kids,and that i do infact need the space,when she turns swears and says what could i possibly need the space for!
Well im guessing that was enough for the passer by who had heard what was happening as he steps in and shouts at the women that she clearly in her assumptions has not bothered to actually look at me properly because if she had she would notice that i have a line in for chemo "It was middle of summer and i had a short top on and we dont get picc line covers in the uk" and have clearly just had surgery!
she stares at me and responds with well she should have a disabled badge! the man points to the one on the side window and she replied It should have been dispalyed more clearly!
at this point so many people told her to mind her own buisness as she has insulted us enough and that she is in the wrong and to leave the poor young couple alone..she stormed off still shouting i was young enough to have parked in a normal spot! i guess she was embarrased and trying to come back with some kind of justification for what she had done :confused3
I was so upset with that situation,that somebody could be so cruel infront of young children! but then i realised she showed herself up way more then she tried to show us up...

so many people came over to see if we was ok,and to say sorry that it happened.
After that anything that happens is just minor! I really wish the mind set for disabilities or being critically ill was not that it only happens to the old.

Well that's weird, I thought I posted this thread in the Theme Parks Planning forum in order to reach 'the general public' not those who DON'T need the psa!

Apologies my fellow disABILITIES readers.
Is there any way to move it? :guilty:

Those particular people might not be. but there are lots of people on the Internet, and who knows? Maybe somebody will see it and it might plant a seed in their mind that could affect their behavior the next time they're tempted to make a snap judgment about others. ...

I appreciate the reminder that not all disabilities are obvious. And I would love a card with more information about someone's disability.
I have been frustrated when someone uses a disability accommodation who doesn't need it - seriously, I'm not picking on folks that really do need it; but I have heard people say "we can get away with it, so why not." So sometimes when I see a disability accommodation being used by someone who doesn't look like they need it, I wonder if it's another example of abuse of the system or an invisible disability? Hopefully the abusers are in a minority, but they are very vocal about their beating the system so it's hard to not be cynical. :blush: The reminder that there are more invisible disabilities than I can name (or even imagine) helps my attitude. :thumbsup2

My new pet hate is mobility scooter (ECV?), I know some people in them are severely disabled but yesterday there was a whole family all touring in ECVs and they were definitely not in turtle mode. I got clipped from behind quite a lot.

Fair enough if you need a wheelchair or scooter then use one but come on, you're in a motor vehicle don't charge through crowds with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter