A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

I so regret not ordering this. But it would have looked ridiculous for one person to order this....right? Maybe not

No . . . not at all. The full bread service w all the dips is wonderful! The next time you want a great lunch (or dinner) go to Sanaa & go for it! This is what I had for a fun solo dinner at Sanaa in Feb. It's definitely lots of food to be an easy entree for one. I then had just a teensy bit of room left for dessert. The seasonal kulfi (think it was coconut?) was also wonderful. The serving board did take up the entire 2 top table :P But, I didn't care!

Just caught up with your June trip plans. Woo hoo!

We just did Yak and Yeti last week - the ahi tuna nachos are soooo good!

And if you're bread pudding fans the bread and butter pudding at Raglan Road is excellent. :thumbsup2

Have a great time & enjoy! Fingers crossed for great weather & low crowds! :-)
Thanks. Pretty much banking on hot and crowded, but that just means more time for eating ; )

I know you guys are super excited about the trip!!
Super excited. T minus 7 hours until take off

Just caught up with your June trip plans. Woo hoo!

We just did Yak and Yeti last week - the ahi tuna nachos are soooo good!

And if you're bread pudding fans the bread and butter pudding at Raglan Road is excellent. :thumbsup2
Mmm, love ahi so gonna have to try the nachos. And we love us some bread pudding, can't wait to try

Have a great trip! We ate at Yachtsman last time and really enjoyed it - the mac and cheese is so good!

Hi all, just wanted to post a quick update that we're home from Disney and not surprisingly had an amazing time. The crowds were manageable, the heat bearable, and most importantly the food and adult beverages were flowing freely. I've been swamped trying to catch back up at work, but we have a cool and rainy forecast for the weekend so that should present the perfect opportunity to close out this chapter and get the next food party started. Thanks for all the well wishes and suggestions, both proved very fruitful!

Glad you had a great time! Looking forward to your next chapter and more details on your "surprise" trip!

Hi all, just wanted to post a quick update that we're home from Disney and not surprisingly had an amazing time. The crowds were manageable, the heat bearable, and most importantly the food and adult beverages were flowing freely. I've been swamped trying to catch back up at work, but we have a cool and rainy forecast for the weekend so that should present the perfect opportunity to close out this chapter and get the next food party started. Thanks for all the well wishes and suggestions, both proved very fruitful!

I was going to quote your update on your ADR's but it seem useless now that you're already back!:rotfl2:

I'm super, super excited to see what you thought of Yachtsman and the Dawa Bar! :hyper: :hyper: I'm surprised that the crowds were manageable considering the 8 for the crowd calendar. Did you feel like it was an 8?

Glad you had a great time! Looking forward to your next chapter and more details on your "surprise" trip!
Stay tuned, lots more good food to come ; )

Yes looking forward to hearing more about it all!
Thanks, can't wait to share!
I was going to quote your update on your ADR's but it seem useless now that you're already back!:rotfl2:

I'm super, super excited to see what you thought of Yachtsman and the Dawa Bar! :hyper: :hyper: I'm surprised that the crowds were manageable considering the 8 for the crowd calendar. Did you feel like it was an 8?
Yep we're back, it was just a quick trip but utterly perfect. And I just may have something to say about some steak and perhaps a bloody mary or two ; )

Honestly we commented many times that they crowds didn't feel much different then September or January/February. We were at the parks early and left in the early afternoon and followed the easywdw recommendations on parks. Not sure if that is why it didn't seem that bad, but we were definitely surprised.

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it! popcorn::

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....
The last day of the trip is finally upon us.

We were up early and got all packed up before heading to what has become our traditional last park of the trip Ep-A-Cot. It was due to rain later that afternoon, but unfortunately as soon as we left AKL the skies had already decided to grace us with some water presence. In a bit of foreshadowing, this ended up setting the tone for the day.

The night before I had looked online to score us a good last lunch somewhere in world showcase and instead a late breakfast with a couple of Princesses at Akershus emerged. Since this was the last day of Casey's week long birthday extravaganza this sounded like a great way to end her trip, despite my general dislike for character meals (yep more foreshadowing here). So off to the land of school bread and trolls we went.

By the time we got there it really started to pour but I found the check in desk under what appeared to be a beach umbrella. The Cast Member finished helping the person in front of me and said he'd be right back. So I waited and waited and waited for what was at least 10 minutes and then the 5 or so people behind me and I realized the check in line was now under the entrance to the restaurant. Of course this would mean that we would all act like civilized adults and honor the line we were already in, right? Foolish me, this was the land of no decorum or respect for others and you guessed it I found myself now last in line and standing in the pouring down rain. #GoodTimes

We finally made it inside to wait but the foyer of the restaurant was clearly not equipped to hold the 50 or so people waiting for tables. To add insult to injury they had also roped off half the area so people could exit, so you can only imagine how much fun it was to be wet and stand huddled with 50 of my closest friends right next to the bathroom. As I watched in agony as all the people who had cut in line in front of me were called, 30 minutes after our arrival we finally made it in.

My apologies in advance to Akershus or any of its fans for this review, but I was wet, hungry, and not in the most magical mood at this time so my judgement may have been a little clouded. Though I will add my perspective hasn't changed too much now that we're a few months removed from it.

Casey was thrilled to see Belle on our way in but apparently her parents were still disgruntled and took no pictures ; ) No worries though, soon enough the rest of the princess crew made their way to our table.

Overall the princesses were fine, but I didn't feel like the interactions were anything special. I know folks typically say you get more time with the characters at meals, but we've had much better experiences waiting in the old school line to see them. Casey did enjoy the princess parade where she could wave to all her adoring fans.

Now on to what this "meal" is supposed to be about FOOD!!!! The Akershus breakfast comes with eggs, potatoes, sausage, and bacon that is served family style direct to the table.

And a buffet that features standard breakfast pastries, along with some yogurt and fruit

And some traditional Norwegian offerings, which was largely smoked fishes and some Scandinavian cheeses:

Here is a look at my plate:

Clockwise from the top we have a croissant (didn't you know it was the Vikings and not the French who invented this) , some kind of brown cheese (made from chocolate milk?), bacon, smoked herring, eggs, some kind of tomato concoction (or what I like to call Norwegian salsa), salmon and capers, and potato casserole rounding out the center.

Overall the food was fine, but definitely nothing special. The eggs were standard disney eggs and not surprisingly the croissant tasted like a croissant ; ) I couldn't help but wonder why school bread wasn't on the Norwegian buffet (now that I may return for). The potato casserole was the star of the meal, as it was decadently creamy and cheesy, clearly copious amounts of butter and cream had gone into its preparation. The bacon was surprisingly crispy given the large quantities they were serving. My little bacon loving little girl was in piggie heaven with the all she could eat bacon buffet:

For the Norwegian offerings the salmon and capers was the stand-out but it could have used some lemon on it, but none was available. I tried it with the Norwegian salsa, which tasted ok but was a little too bitter for me. The herring was good, as was the brown cheese which was very sweet and creamy.

Our server was pleasant and efficient and was kind enough to bring Casey her last birthday surprise:

Which she of course promptly licked all the icing off.

Overall, given the price (Casey alone was $24.99 and she likely ate about $1.99 worth of bacon and icing) and the lack of special interactions, this was likely our one and only visit to Akershus. I know there are people out there who love the character meals, but for me I'm going to a restaurant for the food and Akershus just didn't deliver and certainly wasn't a good value. Though with our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $21.79, which made the $90+ dollar bill slightly more palatable. But for that price I'd much rather dine elsewhere.

After lunch the pouring rain continued and after a stop in Japan (and the purchase of new slushi sticks for the whole family) and sometime in Innoventions, we elected to skip anything else and just head back to the hotel. We had about an hour and a half to kill before our DME pick-up so while Jason and I lounged in the lobby and tried to dry out, Casey watched some TV and did a few drawings with some of the cast members.

Our trip home was largely uneventful. We had some Ruby Tuesday's and a few last beers at the airport and ended up back home sometime after 11 (note my shoes were still wet when we got home 12 hours after our breakfast).

So there you have it, we didn't go out on a good food or weather note but it was a great trip nonetheless. Up next we'll wrap this bad boy up and the start the next party. Everyone get hungry!!!!

So there you have it, we didn't go out on a good food or weather note but it was a great trip nonetheless. Up next we'll wrap this bad boy up and the start the next party. Everyone get hungry!!!!

Bummer! :sad2: Sorry your last meal of the trip wasn't anything special. I felt pretty much the same way about Akershus after my one and only visit there in Dec. 2013. And I wasn't even soaking wet. ;) Anyway, I'm looking forward to the wrap up and count me in for your next party! :banana:

I have never wanted to try Akershus as I don't really care for the princess stuff. If the food was spectacular I would try it once. Love your pics though, they are adorable.

Last edited:
I have never wanted to try Akershus as I don't really care for the princess stuff. If the food was spectacular I would try it once. Love your pics thought, they are adorable.
Akershus wouldn't be for me either but if I had a little girl who loved princesses, then it would be a must do. In a similar vein, I have taken one niece to T-Rex already and another one is now starting to ask. At least I can get Auntie "big girl" libations there to ease the pain. Last time, I went for the booze with the cotton candy that dissolves. It did the trick! :P Dear Lord, I hope its still there.

Geez, that was a rough last morning :( I think I can always handle rain better if it isn't the last day of the trip. By the last day I'm usually pretty tired and sad that I'm leaving so torrential downpours would just make it worse.

I am a big stickler for line order so I probably would have let you back in front of me :) But that's just me...apparently :(

We've never done Akershus and this review isn't likely to make me want to go anytime soon. I'm always kind of cautious about breakfast character meals. Besides Boma, I'm not sure that I like any breakfast buffets.

It was nice to let Casey have her character breakfast. She looks very happy. But soggy shoes all day long must have been very unpleasant.:(

I can't wait to read about your next trip. :)

My thoughts on Akershus are that it's just okay food with a huge price tag because of the princesses. If you want to meet them without waiting in line it's great. And it's a better value than Cinderella's Royal Table. Plus, I'm pretty sure it still is (at least it used to be ) only 1 credit on the dining plan so it's one of the best values you can get if you're on the plan. Personally I've been too many times to this place. Twice for dinner and once for breakfast and I don't even have kids! We tried it on our honeymoon just because I wanted to meet princesses, lol. Then my friend from Norway took a trip with us and he wanted to see how Americans represented his country, lol. And once for breakfast when I was with a group of girlfriends and they wanted to do something "girly." That one killed me because I paid $40+ for breakfast, which in your review you pointed out was not great food at all. A same group of girls wanted to eat there after the Princess half marathon last year and I pulled myself out of that one because I was not paying that again!

Thanks for the review and I'm sorry you had to wait in the rain! And sorry for my ramblings on Akershus lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter