A reservation ? For those who rent vacation homes

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by Nicole276, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Nicole276

Nicole276 Mouseketeer

Sep 13, 2010
    We are planning a family trip with my sisters family and our parents. So, 11 of us including 5 kids ranging 1-6. We hope to go in Jan 2012. I have looked on Vrbo and eBay to get an idea of prices, homes I like, etc. I would like a 1 story 5 bedroom(just so we don't have to worry about stairs with the little ones) a pool, hot tub, and if it included baby equipment that would help. On Vrbo, I have 10 or so homes saved that I liked.

However, my question is when is the best time to book and get the best price? Also, any other recommendations for websites or anything like that? I have never rented a home before, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. At World's End

At World's End DIS Veteran

Jul 27, 2010
    We have rented houses in January twice and both times I reserved about 6 months in advance. Last trip, I had to cancel our original reservation and rebook elsewhere about 3 months in advance. I had no trouble finding availability, but I only needed a 2 br. With a large group and more specific needs, and being the worrier that I am, I would book as soon as you find a place that meets your needs at a price you are happy with. In my experience, you will get quotes from owners that are about 10% less then what they post on vrbo. In January with a pool home, you will want to pay for pool heat, and that can range quite a bit. When asking for prices, ask the owners for their best deal including taxes & pool heat. We have used vrbo.com and homeaway.com previously. If you find a house that you really like and it's a little higher than you want to pay, always ask if they would match an offer on a similar house. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Renting can be kind of nerve-wracking. Communication with the owner is so important. Ask lots of questions, and if you don't feel comfortable with the responses, move on to the next property. With a group like yours I would be asking about the child equipment (pack & play, strollers, high chair) availability, is the kitchen stocked with enough plates/cups for 11 people, are there enough towels for everyone?

Another tip: look into the Disney YES program for the 6 year old. If there is individual enrollment when you go, you could save about $100 per person on tickets.
  3. sjanus

sjanus castlegetaway

Nov 23, 2008
    I also like www.homeaway.com. Home Away owns both that website and the VRBO website. Sometimes I find Home Away a little user friendly, but VRBO is also wonderful. They are the two big ones. I would be careful of e-bay.