A replacement for monorails and buses?

How many on-site guests the monorail services is irrelevant. It's those that drive in that the monorails service, and that number is not insignificant (there are a bit over 12000 parking spaces at MK. If you assume the parking lot is half full, and that there are 3 people per car on average, that's almost 20,000 per day who are not "onsite guests"). It would take a LOT of buses to replace the monorail for that traffic segment. My guess is that boats are not considered an alternative, because they likely have more maintenance issues than monorails do.

A bridge constructed over the water and parking trams or some type of light rail system would solve that problem completely...and probably be faster/more efficient.

Which you'll need because Disney thinks they'll have 35,000,000 smiling, paying customers in that park and all...

You know - those timeshares are selling like Star Wars tickets and mine train is THAT awesome ;)

I am always amused by all the talk of replacing the monorails. Not only do I not understand why someone would long for that, but it will never happen. The monorails are a Disney icon. They will never, ever replace them. Just accept it. Disney adapting some new technology to provide transportation to AK or DHS is more possible.

1) What would be the advantage of such a system?
2) Disney has buses to transport people.
. . . more flexible for equipment purchases
. . . more flexible for routes (even en-route, buses can be re-rerouted is there is a need)
. . . more flexible for scheduling manpower
3) No fixed asset can be adjusted immediately to accommodate visitor traffic patterns/needs.

I am always amused by all the talk of replacing the monorails. Not only do I not understand why someone would long for that, but it will never happen. The monorails are a Disney icon. They will never, ever replace them. Just accept it. Disney adapting some new technology to provide transportation to AK or DHS is more possible.

I don't think anybody has stated they want the monorails to be removed. I am a huge fan of the monorail, and I can't even figure out why. A monorail is the subject of my favorite Simpsons episode. But you can't deny that there are much more efficient ways to move people around. Do I think the monorail will be gone 10 years from now, no I don't, but you can never say never when accountants are running the joint who are looking for ways to cut spending.

What happens when that final DVC is added in that empty spot between TTC and Contemporary ( I am speculating that will be the location for the last new DVCs before the 2042s revert back and they can start selling them again). A fourth resort will just try and put too many people into one of those things.

Sure it is then they start reselling the old ones with very minimal investment in upgrades
I think Disney is looking at more than just that spot for DVC. You have the river country site, DVC expansion at beach club, more DVC at poly, more at contemporary, and then moderate level DVC.

If they want to improve transportation at the MK and surrounding hotels just take the cheap route and finish the Walk around the world! I'd get back to my car by walking faster then by monorail or by boat at closing. If I was at Poly or Grand I could take a leisurely stroll back to the hotel instead of being stopped at the channel there. Build me a bridge that is tall enough to up and over and let boat traffic through or pull an epcot and get some cast members there for the 5 mins it takes for the water pagent to come out and have a bridge that moves up.

If they want to improve transportation at the MK and surrounding hotels just take the cheap route and finish the Walk around the world! I'd get back to my car by walking faster then by monorail or by boat at closing. If I was at Poly or Grand I could take a leisurely stroll back to the hotel instead of being stopped at the channel there. Build me a bridge that is tall enough to up and over and let boat traffic through or pull an epcot and get some cast members there for the 5 mins it takes for the water pagent to come out and have a bridge that moves up.

The EWP is not the only thing that uses that canal. Other service craft use it as well so stationing a CM on either side for access to the canal costs time and money.

The EWP is not the only thing that uses that canal. Other service craft use it as well so stationing a CM on either side for access to the canal costs time and money.

How many times a day does something come in and out of the canal? I can't image very many. It's close enough to GF and MK that CM's could walk over there at designated times. Yes, it would cost money. But it would be considerably cheaper than any other transportation costs. But I also don't see why building a bridge tall enough to accommodate the boats would be an issue. It would have to be pretty tall, but I don't think that would be a bad thing. It would take a huge strain of the monorail every night, and guests would love the ability to walk/job around the entire lagoon.

I think Disney is looking at more than just that spot for DVC. You have the river country site, DVC expansion at beach club, more DVC at poly, more at contemporary, and then moderate level DVC.
I know they are looking many places, but that could be a way to justify shutting the monorail down. You build it with a monorail platform. People buy it and pay a premium because of monorail access. Then after the resort goes live they can claim the monorail is overloaded and shut it down based on customer preferences. Adding more to Poly helps this too.

I love a good conspiracy.

I know they are looking many places, but that could be a way to justify shutting the monorail down. You build it with a monorail platform. People buy it and pay a premium because of monorail access. Then after the resort goes live they can claim the monorail is overloaded and shut it down based on customer preferences. Adding more to Poly helps this too.

I love a good conspiracy.
It's too popular and therefore needs to be shut down? There are cases where that paradox is true, but the monorail is not one of them. If Resort hotel guests used the monorail too much, there'd be options and things they could play with to make it work. Keep in mind they're currently investing millions to make things move more smoothly and efficiently.

They could try any of the following:
1) Limit Resort line to Hotel Guests on the beam. This could be done thanks to MyMagic+.
2) Increase Train deployment for more hours of the day.
3) Focus on reliability.

Additionally, DVC isn't finished once it's sold. Every several years points are collected and resold like new. By eliminating the monorail, they'd hurt future sales of DVC along some of their most lucrative resorts.

Disney is into making money. Not trouble.
A bridge constructed over the water and parking trams or some type of light rail system would solve that problem completely...and probably be faster/more efficient.

Which you'll need because Disney thinks they'll have 35,000,000 smiling, paying customers in that park and all...

You know - those timeshares are selling like Star Wars tickets and mine train is THAT awesome ;)
I don't see them doing anything over the lake. That would ruin views and inhibit boat traffic. Along world drive they could beef up lanes or add some other mass transit. I don't see them using trams. Though they've already invested in a compelling mass transit option, and it's not immediately clear why they would dump what they already have. Especially when they're already loved. I'd hazard a guess and say it's probably cheaper to maintain what they've already got then start from the ground up.

I'm sure there are several reasons why they didn't finish the walk around the world, but I bet a big one was they couldn't find anymore guests willing to spend 85 bucks for a brick.

It's too popular and therefore needs to be shut down? There are cases where that paradox is true, but the monorail is not one of them. If Resort hotel guests used the monorail too much, there'd be options and things they could play with to make it work. Keep in mind they're currently investing millions to make things move more smoothly and efficiently.

1) Limit Resort line to Hotel Guests on the beam. This could be done thanks to MyMagic+.
3) Focus on reliability.

Additionally, DVC isn't finished once it's sold. Every several years points are collected and resold like new. By eliminating the monorail, they'd hurt future sales of DVC along some of their most lucrative resorts.

I don't see them doing anything over the lake. That would ruin views and inhibit boat traffic. Along world drive they could beef up lanes or add some other mass transit. I don't see them using trams. Though they've already invested in a compelling mass transit option, and it's not immediately clear why they would dump what they already have. Especially when they're already loved. I'd hazard a guess and say it's probably cheaper to maintain what they've already got then start from the ground up.

Actually they are constantly selling points in sold out resorts, they don't just do it every few years. Once 2042 hits I think development of new DVC will end or significantly slow down. By the time the monorail resorts contracts expire the monorail could be a long ago memory of the buyers grandparents.

3) Focus on reliability.

The only time the monorail is truly 'popular' is morning and evening. In between they're half empty. I can't count how many times I've left midday and had a car to myself.

While money is being spent on automation, I'd wager that it's not being done for guest benefit or long term presence, but rather to minimize Disney's liability costs.

No one is going to sell their DVC points if the monorail goes away. If you're investing five figures up front plus another chunk annually you're not going to walk away if an attraction is removed - you're there for the long term and have already accepted that change will always be in the air.

3) Focus on reliability.

Disney wouldn't limit the resort line to hotel guests on the beam, only because many guests not staying on the beam still go to the shows, and character dinning or signature dinning at those resorts

Yes I've heard that explanation before, but still the 5-10 minutes for two cast members, one on each side to be yanked away from their job to watch a bridge go up and down is minimal. (someone from the office backstage in plain clothes could walk out for 10 mins) It's the building of the bridge thats more expensive.....they could also just have a water bridge where you walk under the canal just like when you take the bus to the MK....no people needed

I'm sure there are several reasons why they didn't finish the walk around the world, but I bet a big one was they couldn't find anymore guests willing to spend 85 bucks for a brick.

I'm sure this is more like it, however I'd be fine with a concrete walkway, they can make it blend seamlessly in to the rest of the walkway using those new stamped brick looks and tinted concrete.

We can pay for it by having parking be $30 a day and parking lot tram's now cost $1 a person each way! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter