A Private Dance with Cinderella... Our Surprise Trip Jan 2011 (completed 7/18!)

I'm in! A little insanity in a trip report just makes it more interesting to read.

Happy Dance:dancer: I am so ready for this TR. I love to laugh, laughing is my favorite and I know you will bring on the funny.

I usually don't need reservations at the nuthouse. I once tipped the bouncer $50, now when he sees me coming, he opens the velvet rope and I take my usual table in the corner of the padded room.

Can't wait to hear more!

Normally, I like to give some personalized replies to any people who reply in my thread (well, I only had the one Pre-Trip Report, so it's not like I do these all the time.) But, when I logged in this morning and saw all the replies - I have to say I was a little overwhelmed. So I will have to give out a broad "Welcome!" to everyone. I am so touched that so many people are here ready to subject themselves to the punishment I may be inflicting on your noggin soon. :happytv:

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by! I hope to have chapter one posted sometime today.

January 28, 2011 – Day 1

We woke up on Friday, January 28th, and proceeded to act as if it were just another ordinary day. My children were starting to get really excited about their upcoming trip to Walt Disney World – which they thought was just a few short months ahead. Little did they know that all that planning we had been doing for our ‘Spring Break’ trip was actually for the trip that would start today. I was very excited and woke up several times during the night – like a kid at Christmas. The glowing blue lights of my alarm clock read 2:25am… back to sleep. 3:45am… back to sleep. 4:20am… argh! *snore* 5:30am. I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn’t – I was ready to go open my presents! But I had to play it cool for a little while to not give away the secret until it was time.

I got out of bed and noticed, not surprisingly, that DW was also up a little earlier than normal. We exchanged sly smiles and she took her shower to start her normal get-ready-for-work ritual to the Gods of Divine Beauty. DD was up by this time and crawled into my bed for her normal get-ready-for-school TV watching. I then started my get-ready-for-work regimen. We all got ready, including DS, and left about the same time from the house. DW took DS to school and reminded him that he has a (fake) orthodontist appointment in the afternoon. She would pick him up and we would have lunch together before his appointment. I proceeded to take DD to her preschool as usual.

A little backstory: The plan for lunch was to order pizza and then bring out the surprise cookie ‘cake’ that we would have DS read aloud so DD could know what was going on. This was a deviation from the original plan of going to Bosses Pizza for lunch – mainly due to time constraints. Adapt, improvise, and overcome, right? We had explained to the kids that Grandmother and Grandpa would be coming to visit (from Tyler, Texas – about a 3 hour drive) and would possibly have lunch with us also if they arrived in time. And my mom – grandma - may also stop by to have lunch with us since she took the day off work. I was worried DS would start to think something was up, but it all worked out- he was Mr. Oblivious (thank goodness.)

After the kids were dropped off, the packing derby started. I pull out the suitcases and start getting my things packed. DW had set aside some items and we were able to get all the packing done before noon. While I had started the packing, DW – thinking swiftly – went and picked up a large cookie ‘cake’ from Wal Mart. We had planned to make a homemade cookie, but timing was not on our side today – and she thought the smell of freshly baked cookies would definitely set off the something-is-not-quite-right alarm. When she brought it home I put the surprise wording on it so it would be ready for the big reveal. We stuck it in the oven to keep it out of site. (Yes, the oven was off!)

IMG_1999.jpg

My in-laws showed up around 10:00am along with Nana (DW’s grandmother.) Around noon-ish, DW picked up the kids. She informed DS that his orthodontist appointment was canceled, but she had already planned to have lunch with everyone so she took him out of school anyway. DD was picked up and they all came home. As they pulled up, the pizza delivery guy was at the door and my mom showed up then also. It was like a perfect timing triage – a good sign for things to come. (Or was it?! Could I be foreshadowing something? Or could I be throwing in some extra crap to read for the humor factor? Hmmm… you will just have to wait and see.)

We had our pizza then I got the camera ready to record what happened next. Here is the link to the video:

Click me to see this crudely edited video

DS was taken aback. DD didn’t quite grasp what was transpiring at the time. About 10 minutes after the video, she was in our room while we finished packing and it hit her like a ton of Dilithium, “Wait! Wait! We are going to the castle TODAY?!” She got so giddy. I wish I had the video rolling at the time. Too cute - you will just have to take my word for it. (Duh, this is a trip report. I could type just about anything and you would have to take my word for it, huh? *Evil Laugh*)

The in-laws left, taking our Maltese puppies because they would be watching them while we were gone. Then we made sure we had everything packed and DM dropped us off at the airport. Off to Tampa. Wait... Tampa?!

In the next chapter: Why we flew in to Tampa International, and the condo.

REALLY??? REALLY??? REALLY???? TODAY??? REALLY????

He's so funny!!! Your DD reacted like my sons' did....ah well life as normal.....

Loved your post! Can't wait to read more!

Jumpin in!!! Curious to hear about the condo, and what your experience off property was like. I looked into the same place for Christmas this year, but also received a Pin Code for the same time. Still trying to weigh the pros and cons AND write a pre-trip report. Can't wait to hear more!

REALLY??? REALLY??? REALLY???? TODAY??? REALLY????

He's so funny!!! Your DD reacted like my sons' did....ah well life as normal.....

Loved your post! Can't wait to read more!

Yeah, it took a little while for DD to 'get it'. I think having the grandparents there, eating pizza for lunch with everyone on a school day, and all that took away from the surprise for her. Over stimulation I guess. :scared1:

Wherem I Now said:
What a great start to the trip and to the Trip Report! I like the style.

Thank you and welcome!

MisplacedTexan said:
Jumpin in!!! Curious to hear about the condo, and what your experience off property was like. I looked into the same place for Christmas this year, but also received a Pin Code for the same time. Still trying to weigh the pros and cons AND write a pre-trip report. Can't wait to hear more!

I would give you a direct response to your curiousity, but I am going to have to make you wait for the elongated version. :laughing:
Thanks for reading!

ahhh! BigTex, here's the thing, I live in the far reaches of the boonies, slow speed dial up is all that I can get out here. I don't even get cell phone service, sooooooo I wasn't able to watch your reveal video. I so wanted to hear about your kids reactions when they found out.

If anybody out there would like to fill me in word wise what happen , I would so appreciate it.

Anyway, great update, I can't wait for more.

Great start. :thumbsup2

I love that you surprised your kids with the trip. I could never keep the secret that long.

Been working on planning our WDW vacation - June 2011 and just found your PTR. You have inspired me - to try and post a PTR, though I am sure it will not be either as funny or as structured as yours.

Really looking forward to your TR.:cheer2:

That video was great! Your son wasn't quite sure whether he should believe the trip would actually being that day or not. And we're never ready with the recorder when special moments arise - like your daughter's reaction 10 minutes later.

Looking forward to reading more. Drop in on my TR when you get the chance. :surfweb:

Can't blame your DD for taking a little longer to catch on. I believe that the idea was for your DS to read the words on the cookie out loud. But he stopped when he understood the message.

I'll attempt to describe it for the connectivity-challenged:

Kids are called to the table, grandparents are milling around (with cameras), mom takes the cookie out of the (cold) oven and explains they will have dessert first- grandpa says it is a special dessert.

DS reads the message out loud

"Surprise! We are going to Disney World" "What?" "Really?" "Really" "What?"

He finally says "Today", tries to explain to his sister. Family gives the details about the trip- bags are in car, staying in a condo, grandma is coming on Monday, flight is at 4 today.

At which point DD holds up her fingers and says "I'm 4!"- very cute!

DS pretty much in shock and disbelief. DD non-chalantly rides on her scooter.

As BigTex describes, she gets it about 10 minutes later, without the glare of the video camera.

Love your sons response! It may have brought a tear to my eye. ;) I loved that your daughter just hopped on her little bike like nothing was going on. :laughing:

Your kids are adorable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter