A Princess Birthday Surprise at POR w/ Royal Room Included...TRex for Lunch

Beautiful morning photos Heather! I love when the mist rises off the water like that. So lovely!

Thanks:goodvibes Morning is my favorite time at a Disney Resort!

:scratchin Well Bill, think of it this way, if Heather didn't have time for the boards, you never would have met us :rolleyes1

My thoughts EXACTLY! Great point, Sue!!

Since the GPS was broken, the map may have been actually of Montana and the speed limit was actually 80, and you were only 1 mph over? (Was that sarcasm or humor?)

:scratchin it could be debated either way....but I'll go out on a limb and say sarcastic :confused3

In defense of Heather Andretti, I'm sure she would say that everyone was passing her.....

Of course they were....thanks for backing me up there Kook. From years of Ferrari Van driving, this is what happens....

And if he's anything like my DH, he's in shock at all our post counts:surfweb:

He literally laughs out loud and rolls his eyes....YET he continues to read...and loves reading the threads with heated debates ::yes::

He says he's gonna embarrass me one day and post "bump" on my TR like 10 times. He loves a good practical joke :rolleyes:

Day 2
Rope Drop at the Magic Kingdom with a few RP Tips!

We left off at POR….I believe we were a bit lost:upsidedow, but finally found our way to the Bus Stop!

We were actually a bit surprised by the number of people (looks like nobody in the picture, I know...but there were plenty behind me!). Usually this is a slow time, but large tour groups had descended upon POR. One of the cast members at POR told us that it had been unusually busy for this time of year….who knew?!

We waited at the bus stop around 10 minutes before one arrived….and actually didn’t think we were going to get on because of the number of people. Bill and I both had to stand up holding on with a death grip; the bus driver was a bit break happy. We all had several laughs! Luckily the people that we were standing in front of were friendly :thumbsup2 and didn't mind our continual close encounters with them.

Many of you Disers know the ins and outs of Rope Drop….but for those who don’t or just need a quick review, here ya go!

Rope Drop 101

* Depending on the season….get there early! MK RD will take place outside the front entrance to the park.

* After passing through the turnstiles, people will gather to enter the park at both tunnels (one to the left, and one to the right) under the train tracks. There will be a rope manned by cast members who will prevent you from passing through the tunnel. The rope will be removed during the Welcome Show.

* If you want to watch the entire show and get the best view, stand in the middle…..notice picture….this was made in 2011 but you get the point. We wanted to make a quick entry and weren’t really worried about the show, so we stood over by the left tunnel.

* If RD is at 9am and you have an 8am ressie for breakfast or BBB, you can still entire the parks…just make sure you have your reservation number (sometimes they ask for this, sometimes they don’t)

* The Welcome Show usually starts 10 minutes before park opening.

*The Welcome Show ends with a countdown. After this, guests can enter the park on to Main Street. This generally occurs 5 minutes prior to opening.

If you’ve never experienced a RP, you have to try it at least once:thumbsup2….I still get teary eyed when Mickey and friends ride in on the train waving to the crowds!

When we exited the bus and made our way towards the park, I couldn’t help but notice the Grand Floridian….such a beautiful sight!

And did I mention how perfect the weather was turning out to be??!!! Couldn’t ask for anything better…

But as I grew closer to the entrance, I noticed what???!! Construction at the very front?! Are you kidding me? :faint:

Well…since there was construction going on, I knew we might as well not worry about the Welcome Show too much….go ahead and get in line with the masses. And let me just say….again….for a slow season, there were huge amounts of people!!!

I should have prefaced this installment with a note….many of the pictures made on our MK visit were done by Stephen. I gave him full control of the camera (well, almost full control).

Example #1….Stephen and Bill playing with the camera and making “selfies” :rolleyes:

Example #2….Stephen (and Bill again) playing with the camera and making fun of me texting my friends about Rope Drop….

So basically I had to have a meeting of the minds with Stevo :chat:…..enjoy the camera and have fun; HOWEVER….I don’t need 1000 silly shots! I need substantial footage!

Finally the show commenced….and yes, tears did begin to well. :lovestruc The anticipation was too much! All 5 of us were so excited we could hardly stand it.

On our way down Main Street, we practically ran into this guy! I couldn’t believe it!!! And of course I was yelling at Stephen to get a picture…quick!!! The Wolf was just roaming around freely!!! Like the old days…

And get this…more construction!! It was actually pretty cool to see them working on the Castle…can’t imagine being suspended in the air like that!

The crowds had dispersed for the time being. So very glad we got here early!!!! Headed straight towards the New Fantasyland to meet Belle.

More construction, but super interesting to a Disney Geek like myself. Can’t wait to ride the Seven Dwarf’s Mine Train in 2014 (seems like an eternity away!)

Headed to see Bill’s favorite princess….Belle! But first, I grabbed FPs to the Little Mermaid Ride.

Next up….Enchanted Tales with Belle! princess:

:cool1: yay, more TR! How did you like Story Time with Belle? We didn't do it in January, but will in August. I can't wait for the mine train either!!
January is the time of year for the Brazillian Tour Groups ::yes:: we were going back to POFQ for a mid day break from DHS and at the POR/FQ bus stop, we didn't think we were going to get on either, big tour group in front of us :crazy2: but we did get on, standing. And hanging on for dear life!!

I'm sorry Heather, you're just going to have another trip sooner to keep us supplied with TRs before your stay at the resort with the scary clown pool and scary chairs :upsidedow

Loving your TR. We've also booked a Royal Room at POR for my daughters 5th Birthday. Getting excited now! Can't wait to read the rest of your adventure.

I've never seen the Big Bad Wolf, how cool!

Bill has a favorite princess does he :)

I've never been to rope drop, maybe one day.

I've never seen the Wolf either, maybe he is part of the Limited Time Magic?

:cool1: yay, more TR! How did you like Story Time with Belle? We didn't do it in January, but will in August. I can't wait for the mine train either!!

Loved it!!! And because my family was part of the show, my heart melted and I cried :upsidedow

January is the time of year for the Brazillian Tour Groups ::yes:: we were going back to POFQ for a mid day break from DHS and at the POR/FQ bus stop, we didn't think we were going to get on either, big tour group in front of us :crazy2: but we did get on, standing. And hanging on for dear life!!

No kidding!!!! Now ya tell me! :laughing: Holy cow...not sure how they keep those groups all together....crazy!

I'm sorry Heather, you're just going to have another trip sooner to keep us supplied with TRs before your stay at the resort with the scary clown pool and scary chairs :upsidedow

Hmmm....:scratchin When the money tree out back starts producing again, we might be able to get back sooner than 2014. Right now, it's fairly wilted! :rolleyes:

Loving your TR. We've also booked a Royal Room at POR for my daughters 5th Birthday. Getting excited now! Can't wait to read the rest of your adventure.

Hi there! :wave: You will certainly love it....such a perfect place for any princess, young or old:thumbsup2 Did you request a specific princess room?

I've never seen the Big Bad Wolf, how cool!

Bill has a favorite princess does he :)

I've never been to rope drop, maybe one day.

Yep...the hubby has a favorite (other than me, of course ;)) Pam, you must get to RD!!! How many times have you been to Disney??? Like a thousand!!!! My favorite RD is MK....EP is just ok, and DHS is good if you can get up front and see what's going on.

I've never seen the Wolf either, maybe he is part of the Limited Time Magic?

Something like that.....during January there were several of these older characters roaming around.

So much to love!:lovestruc

First - fishing pictures, just precious!

Second - early morning Heather pictures, LOVE it! Sorry you got lost on the way to the bus stop - next time try the one outside the main lobby!

Third - wonder who you were texting at rope drop:thanks:

As always, the kids are adorable:cutie: and you look fabulousprincess:! And, yes, that fisherman snake hunter::yes:: looks great too!

can't wait for more!:cool1:

Not a thousand! only 11 :blush: We might have made it to one on my first trip when I was 6, but I certainly don't remember so that doesn't count. One of these days I'll try to drag myself out of bed that early :rotfl:

Those early morning pictures of POR are really making me miss one of my favorite resorts. I have found the deal on renting DVC points, so it has been awhile since I stayed there. Not that I mind staying at beautiful DVC resorts, but POR was our favorite moderate for so many trips.:goodvibes
And who doesn't love the early am walk through MK. Great pictures Stephen!

Those early morning pictures of POR are really making me miss one of my favorite resorts. I have found the deal on renting DVC points, so it has been awhile since I stayed there. Not that I mind staying at beautiful DVC resorts, but POR was our favorite moderate for so many trips.:goodvibes
And who doesn't love the early am walk through MK. Great pictures Stephen!

I am always curious about the whole renting points thing. Do you rent from someone you know or just someone you found on the boards? How did it go for you (obviously well since it sounds like that's what you do now)? Just wondering if you could share a bit about it. I know Heather won't mind the info either in her TR!;) Thanks! Erin

I am always curious about the whole renting points thing. Do you rent from someone you know or just someone you found on the boards? How did it go for you (obviously well since it sounds like that's what you do now)? Just wondering if you could share a bit about it. I know Heather won't mind the info either in her TR!;) Thanks! Erin

Erin,

We rented on our last trip to AKL in April thru the Timeshare Store, we are renting again next January thru David's. It was wonderful! Deluxe stay without the deluxe price. You get a Disney reservation number so you can make dining reservations and your KTW card says DVC just like you are the DVC owner. You don't get daily mousekeeping which I thought I wouldn't like but I actually really liked it as I didn't feel like I had to pick up the room each morning so mousekeeping could get around! I think the only somewhat frightening part is that you have to pay in advance and can't change the dates once it is booked. I think you might be able to buy trip insurance to offset this though.

I will say that some dates and locations are hard to get, i.e. EPCOT resorts during F&W so you might have to be flexible or book early!

Christine

Catching up on the TR! :cool1: I had to laugh about the toiletries…that was my feeling as well…where’s the lotion??? Now if they could package the H2O in those bottles with the cute little Mickey heads it would be the best of both worlds.

(OK, I wrote this in word and go to post and now I see he’s here..don’t read this WishIwasFishin) As far as the fishing excursion for Bill the next time in WDW, you might be able to book something nearby that would be less expensive and yield better results, fishing wise, than the ones at WDW. I grew up on the west coast of FL and I remember my Dad going fishing near Kissimmee with my uncle once. He came home with the 10 pound bass and he wasn’t the fisherman! Of course this might be more of an all day thing than a few hours but might be worth looking into – talk it up as a Daddy/kids activity and book yourself at the spa! :thumbsup2

We did the AG package at the Marriott in March for a quick spring break activity. I think Addison would rather do that than anything. We surprised her last year and took her to WDW for her birthday. I think she thought we were going to go to AG in Atlanta and is still bitter that we didn’t!

Love the selfies Stephen took. And the Big Bad Wolf! Ack..how cool is that? Yes, the days when the characters just roamed around and you saw whoever you were lucky enough to see. My kids don’t get that but I heard that it is still somewhat like that in Disneyland.

How do you get the enhancements on your pictures? They look great!

Christine

Erin,

We rented on our last trip to AKL in April thru the Timeshare Store, we are renting again next January thru David's. It was wonderful! Deluxe stay without the deluxe price. You get a Disney reservation number so you can make dining reservations and your KTW card says DVC just like you are the DVC owner. You don't get daily mousekeeping which I thought I wouldn't like but I actually really liked it as I didn't feel like I had to pick up the room each morning so mousekeeping could get around! I think the only somewhat frightening part is that you have to pay in advance and can't change the dates once it is booked. I think you might be able to buy trip insurance to offset this though.

I will say that some dates and locations are hard to get, i.e. EPCOT resorts during F&W so you might have to be flexible or book early!

Christine

Thanks Christine! I have always been interested in DVC ownership and/ or renting points. I have looked at David's and it seems like a great deal. Due to my part time 'fun job' that I cannot 'mention' on the boards..I do get decent discounts, but often can't use the dining plan along with them. I know you can add the dining plan with David's and that also intrigues me. I agree, the only scary part is the paying ahead of time and non-refundable nature of the agreement. I still feel paying a bit more to go through a business like David's is better than a personal transaction with a individual owner, unless you knew them personally. Anyway, last question, did you get your first request on location with these two companies? Just curious. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! One of these days we should really try it!
Happy Friday,
Erin

sorry for the DVC hijacking of your TR Heather:hug:, I promise no more! But you should try it for you trip next year - renting points that is, from David's.

Love all your pictures!

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have a family of 5 and I've been trying to book a Royal room at Port Orleans but they tell us they only hold 4. Your family of 5 stayed there? Are there some rooms that hold 5?

Sorry if this is obvious and I'm missing it somewhere. :blush:

My kids are all girls and they would drool over those rooms!

Thanks Christine! I have always been interested in DVC ownership and/ or renting points. I have looked at David's and it seems like a great deal. Due to my part time 'fun job' that I cannot 'mention' on the boards..I do get decent discounts, but often can't use the dining plan along with them. I know you can add the dining plan with David's and that also intrigues me. I agree, the only scary part is the paying ahead of time and non-refundable nature of the agreement. I still feel paying a bit more to go through a business like David's is better than a personal transaction with a individual owner, unless you knew them personally. Anyway, last question, did you get your first request on location with these two companies? Just curious. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! One of these days we should really try it!
Happy Friday,
Erin

Erin,

We got our first request when we went thru the Timeshare Store for April but I suspect it was due to it being about two weeks after Easter so demand was down. That one we booked in January. We booked in April for January for the marathon weekend. That one was more difficult to get based on it being marathon weekend. We wanted OKW but ended up with SSR. I was fine with either, it's basically a non-park focused trip and we didn't try for any other resorts we were trying to find something that used as little points as possible. I agree that having a third party handle the reservation is more secure feeling than thru someone that you didn't really know. Just to add, you can still add ME too so it really is like a regular reservation.

Heather - I agree with Erin, at least check out renting points at BWI. Ok, DVC hijack of thread over....

Christine

wow your picture of the seven dwarves mine train ride construction makes me really excited to ride it. 2014 is too far away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter