A Post Open-Heart Surgery/Anniversary Dining Report!!! FINISHED! (and we are FULL!)

Stringbean, what a great review of Jiko! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so. Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you and Wingnut (I love your usernames :goodvibes) You are a lovely couple! You are so pretty with your hair down~

Thanks for continuing with such a great review!

Thank you! I was definitely looking forward to writing about this meal, it's fun to relive a trip through pictures of bread baskets and steak :laughing:.

Hahaha he calls me Stringbean on account of my "stringbean-y" arms (not muscle-y in the least). I call him Wingnut because I felt the need to give him a little nickname, and he once scratched his hand on one. (He's seemingly the more clever nicknamer :laughing:). And thank you, I wore my hair down a bit on this trip (I had extra incentive to try to keep my ears warm!).

Loved your Jiko review....and love love love your purse! :love:
We went to Jiko last year and I had the dessert with the coffee ice cream. Honestly, it was the best ice cream I have ever eaten. Sad to hear that it is not on the menu anymore!

Thank you!! It was my present to myself after this summer, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it :love:.

Awww now Wingnut will be even sadder to hear that dessert was taken off the menu! I tried being like, "well maybe it wasn't all that good...". It didn't work. I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it though!! :goodvibes

Loving these...had never considered Kona for bfast bc we have kids who may not be interested, but may need to add now!

Welcome, thank you!! They do seem to have a good variety to suit lots of different eaters, and it's an easy monorail ride away from the MK!

thanks for your wonderful review of Jiko, it's made me so excited about our May ADR :cool1:

I'm glad that the evening lived up to your expectations (and beyond!)

Happy (belated) Anniversary :hug:

Thank you for the anniversary wishes!!! How exciting you'll be going there in May!! I hope you have a wonderful time :goodvibes

That duck at Jiko has my mouth watering! Your review definitely helped solidify our decision to make and ADR there. Can't wait!

Wingnut was honestly raving about the duck at Jiko for about...well...he STILL is. It looked delish, and I kept eyeing those bruleed figs! Yay, I hope you have a great dinner there! :goodvibes

So glad you're doing well after your surgery! Loving these reviews and can't wait for more!

Welcome, thank you so much!!! :)

I've just read all of your reviews and they were great :thumbsup2

I've eaten at Jiko twice and I'm sure the duck wasn't on the menu before ... but it looks incredible!

Welcome, thank you!!! The duck definitely got (is still getting, actually) rave reviews from my tablemate :rotfl:

As fun as it is to try the different breakfast places throughout WDW, sometimes it's nice to stick closer to your room and not trek to your orange juice.

And actually, Captain's Grille was a new place for both of us, so really this was accomplishing two things at once. We're such multi-taskers :thumbsup2.

So we meandered down the steps and across the lobby and arrived at breakfast. The Captain's Grille (in the Yacht Club) is a nice breakfast venue in that it offers both a buffet and a regular menu, so everyone in your party is free to choose whichever they prefer. Wingnut and I both went with the buffet. And orange juice. Have to have my morning orange juice, it gives me my spunk and charm :yay:.

Despite not being one of the more-discussed breakfast buffets ("Boma!" "Crystal Palace!" "Tusker House!"), there is a nice variety of well-cooked items on the buffet, including fruit, oatmeal, french toast, eggs, bread pudding, different breakfast meats, eggs benedict, pancakes, Mickey waffles, pastries, and other goodies.

Wingnut says that "Everything was very fresh, the fruit was especially good, and they had huge strawberries. The thin sausage (there were two different types, this one had a maple-ish glaze) was really good, so was the caramel bread pudding... yum. The buffet also had really good oatmeal, lots of nice fixins and brown sugar. The french toast was kinda meh, same with the pastries, they were a bit dry."

I agree with his assessment - we found the strawberries on this trip to be absolutely ginormous, which surprised us as it was (is) December. They had an egg, bacon, mushroom, and cheddar combination that was very good. I also enjoyed the Mickey waffles, very fresh and lovely.

I didn't take pictures of the food here, I wasn't sure that it would look attractive in little piles on my plate. However, I did take a picture of

Oh how I love that Disney World tops their hot chocolate with even more chocolate. (Disclaimer: not everywhere, I found) This was made from a mix (I'm not a hot chocolate connoisseur, it still had little powdery bits), but was still very tasty (Wingnut hypothesized if it was Mickey brand hot chocolate, or a different brand).

Overall, we really enjoyed our breakfast here (and not just because it was about a 30 second walk from our room. Okay, that did help a teensy bit :laughing:), and would not hesitate to return (actually, we did later in the trip). I'd definitely recommend a breakfast here, even if travel time was a factor. It's a quick trip to Epcot or DHS from your meal here! :thumbsup2

You're trip report can't help but make me smile. You have such a great attitude and you two seem so great together. I'm so happy you are doing well and had a great vacation. Thank you for the review. I hope it is a happy and healthy new year!

You're trip report can't help but make me smile. You have such a great attitude and you two seem so great together. I'm so happy you are doing well and had a great vacation. Thank you for the review. I hope it is a happy and healthy new year!

Welcome, thank you so much!!! We were very happy to be able to go on this trip, and be able to do the things we wanted to! Happy and healthy New Year to you too! :goodvibes

Wingnut and I found ourselves in the vicinity of World Showcase around lunchtime, and pondered where to go. He suggested trying walk-ups at some of the restaurants, and I figured why not?

We started at Le Cellier (which we knew was a total long shot, but worth a visit). The very pleasant hostesses told us there was no availability. We trekked on. We bypassed England, as we already had a meal at Rose & Crown planned.

France. We stood on the lengthy line at the podium in the packed waiting area for about 20 seconds before giving up.

Morocco. A story about Morocco. Wingnut asked to eat at Restaurant Marrakesh about 700 times (Wingnut: "701") while we were planning our trip. I told him no 700..701..times. (I'm mean and repressive, I know.) See, I had seen the plentiful negative reviews on the restaurant, and was apprehensive. Also, with all of my spice allergies, I thought that this would be a bit of a difficult menu to maneuver. But mostly, I'm just mean. ;)

Italy. We asked at Tutto Italia, 1 hour wait. Ugh. (I also wasn't incredibly enthused about Italy, as we have a plethora of amazing Italian food in our area.) Via Napoli, we encountered a large group of groups being turned away. Nope.

Wingnut wanted to press on to Japan, to try our luck at Teppan Edo. I started to dig in my heels. Hunger was outweighing patience. I suggested we turn around and go to Morocco, to Tangierine Cafe. (I had heard significantly better reviews of here, and this was my way of a bit of a peace offering for my 700..and 1..restaurant denials.) Wingnut agreed. (I know, it's very clear he's the much-more-agreeable one in our relationship. But someone's gotta be the one that gets increasingly grumpy without food. Right? :rotfl:)

We walked into Tangierine Cafe (I'm going to take this moment to apologize for this text-heavy, photo-light post), and consulted with the cashier about my allergies. No vegetable platter, ok. I had the Chicken Wrap. I substituted one of the sides, which were lentils and couscous, and got a water instead of baklava for dessert. Wingnut had the Mediterranean Sliders Combo (lamb, chicken, and falafel). He went to get the food, and I went to stake out a table.

I got the table, and waited for Wingnut. And waited. And there he stood on line. Wingnut's perspective: "I was standing there on line, and it was just complete chaos. No one seemed to be communicating behind the counter, and plates were just moving down the line. We had had substitutions on our order, and nothing was being acknowledged, and there was no way to tell anyone. Nothing was noted on the ticket, I had tried to speak with someone, but they looked at the ticket and just shrugged their shoulders at me. The person in front of me also had special concerns with his order, and the same thing happened to him as well. At this point, I just gave up and took the food, I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with it."

As he walked to the table, I could see the order was wrong, and Wingnut was annoyed. (He is pretty much the most patient, calm person I have ever met, just as a note.)

Me: "What's going on?"
Wingnut: "They're just back there putting slop on plates. It's absolutely ridiculous."

I didn't take any pictures of this meal, it was just frustrating, cold and windy inside, and unpleasant-looking. I had pretty much no desire to eat anything on my plate. The chicken in my wrap was in gray strips. I ripped off a few pieces of pita, and resolved to snack in the near future.

Wingnut ate a bit more than I did. He says, "it was disappointing, the falafel was incredibly dry. The only highlight was the chicken, it was decent. There was very little meat content inside the pitas. It was all lettuce."

After around maybe two minutes of picking around our plates miserably, we just decided to throw the food away and find food elsewhere. I suggested offering our desserts to someone nearby, but Wingnut wanted to try a bite. "It wasn't bad. A little dry, but tasty." The two pieces, minus about a bite, went into the trash as well.

After this, we needed to be cheered up. And I knew what Epcot food item could do the trick.

We walked one country to the left (or to the right, when looking from the lagoon), into France, past Chefs de France, and into (well onto the line for) Boulangerie Patisserie. I, of course, picked the slower-moving line, but soon enough we had our meals. For me, ham and cheese on a baguette. For Wingnut, a cheese plate. For the sharing, and cheering up, a Napoleon.

Why we didn't go here in the beginning, I don't really know. The ham and cheese was filling, the baguette had a nice crispy exterior and soft inside. Wingnut: "The cheese plate was pretty good. One was a swiss cheese that was really good, two were hard, one was soft, I didn't enjoy the soft cheese as much. The baguette that came with it was very good."

Finally I got my act together and took a picture! The best part of our meal(s). If you've never tried one of these, you absolutely must. Flaky pastry, rich pastry cream, absolutely delicious. :love:

Onward to more food!

Happy New Year,
sorry about the lunch around the world and not finding a place. I'm glad you guys love the pastries place is one of our favorite stops.

Ugh. Sorry you had such a frustrating afternoon. Hurrah for France saving the day. I always forget about the bakery too. I think I heard it is being refurbished in the near future?

Loving the reviews! I'm so glad that you've been recovering nicely. I'm your age, and I can't even imagine going through something like that. How scary! Very much looking forward to the rest of your dining experiences.

My dad and I still have dreams about that Napoleon. Best one we've ever tasted.

Sorry that your experience at Tangeriene Cafe was less than stellar, but looks like you did well in France. That Napoleon looks delicious! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year,
sorry about the lunch around the world and not finding a place. I'm glad you guys love the pastries place is one of our favorite stops.

Happy New Year to you too!! We were a bit surprised to find so many lunch crowds, but I guess table service dining and spontaneity don't go along together during free dining! :laughing:

Boulangerie is one of our favorites too! I should try more of their pastries, but can't seem to deviate from the Napoleon!

Ugh. Sorry you had such a frustrating afternoon. Hurrah for France saving the day. I always forget about the bakery too. I think I heard it is being refurbished in the near future?

The bakery is so hidden from the main street, it's easy to forget! If that Napoleon had been in my mind earlier, I'm sure we wouldn't have trekked that far around the lagoon! The treats there can always make the day better! :thumbsup2

I heard rumor about the possible refurb too, not sure when/if it may take place, or what they may be doing, but I just hope it's not closed when I'm there!! :rotfl:

Loving the reviews! I'm so glad that you've been recovering nicely. I'm your age, and I can't even imagine going through something like that. How scary! Very much looking forward to the rest of your dining experiences.

My dad and I still have dreams about that Napoleon. Best one we've ever tasted.

Welcome, thank you very much!!! It was definitely a crazy year - just had to what was needed to do, and dream about our Disney trip throughout!

It truly is an amazing Napoleon, isn't it? I don't even like the normal ones everywhere else, but cannot pass these up!

Sorry that your experience at Tangeriene Cafe was less than stellar, but looks like you did well in France. That Napoleon looks delicious! Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too!!! It was unexpected and unfortunate, but everybody has different experiences! Boulangerie Patisserie has a bunch of good lunch options (which I hadn't even remembered at the time, I was just going for the dessert :thumbsup2), which was perfect!

JIKO looks amazing!!! i was wishing i was there now (although its only 9:45am) but it made my mouth water!!!! YUM! I'll have to try there someday!

Note- This post is slightly out of order, but we will get to Goofy's Candy Company very soon.

Hello all, this is your friendly, neighborhood Wingnut here. I figured since my beautiful Stringbean :love: has been doing all the post work, I'd chime in and write a dining review.

Stringbean and I decided to get some shopping in over at Downtown Disney in preparation for our ADR at Raglan Road. We had been here last year with Stringbeans' parents and had a wonderful meal, so it became a no brainer for this trip. I love the atmosphere of this restaurant as it feels like a genuine pub (although I say that never having been to a pub in the UK :scared1: , but this is how i'd imagine it.) We arrived about 20 minutes early and waited at some picnic tables outside, eagerly awaiting our buzzer to go off. After about 15 minutes, we got called into the restaurant and were led to a cozy little table near the stage. Cue gratuitous picture of Stringbean:

Ok, enough back story, now on to what we all came here for... the food :woohoo:!!!

Stringbean ordered a Blue Moon beer, which she stated emphatically "it tasted like a Blue Moon."

For our appetizers, Stringbean and I both had the Chicken Lickin', which were whiskey marinated chicken skewers with a Dalkey honey mustard dipping sauce. Cue picture:

I found the chicken to be very juicy and tender with a subtle flavor from the marinade. I personally felt that the dipping sauce was the highlight of this appetizer as I liberally doused my chicken with every bite. Stringbean is riding my descriptive coattails on this one, as she also enjoyed the chicken (although, she did give up on the third skewer in order to save room for the entrée.) It is also worth noting that with the Deluxe Dining Plan, we were unable to order the Appetiser D'Lirrah for Two, as it was not covered.

As we move to our entrées, I had the Mighty Mixed Grill and Stringbean had the Pie in the Sky. The Mighty Mixed Grill pretty much encompassed every type of pub fare one can think of, including a lamb chop, Guinness banger, sirloin steak, black pudding, chicken drumstick and bacon.

Everything was presented on a long skewer (there seems to be a penchant for skewering food in the UK) and I devoured my meal from left to right, starting with the lamb chop and ending with the thick cut bacon. I found the chicken to be a little dry and the black pudding to be an acquired taste (which I have yet to acquire) but the lamb and the banger (sausage for those who only speak American) to be quite tasty.

Above is Stringbean's Pie in the Sky (a chicken and mushroom pie served with a rocket lettuce salad.) She felt it was a bit on the dry side with very little sauce on the inside. They gave generous portions of chicken, but she felt a little "over-chickeny" due to the appetizer. The salad was good, featuring mixed greens and balsamic dressing.

At this point, we had realized there was a dearth of bread and delectable dipping sauce at our table. Just as we received our entrées, we requested a bread basket.

The dipping sauce is made of a guiness reduction, that when combined with the wonderfully oat filled bread, is quite good. In fact, this was one of the highlights of the meal we had here last year. You will also notice a cute little hidden mickey in the dipping sauce.

Before I move on to dessert, I definitely need to talk about the nights' entertainment. Our table was situated next to a small stage where Irish dancers will periodically perform, as well as near the live music. There is a great energy exuded by the performers, expert dancers, fun music... it adds to the pub atmosphere and engages you between courses.

For dessert (FINALLY!) we decided to share Ger's Bread & Butter Pudding, as we were both quite stuffed from our meal. Now this may not be the best bread pudding you will ever have, it is very, very good. It comes with both a butterscotch and a creme anglaise sauce, both of which were delicious. Stringbean enjoyed the raisins that were hidden throughout the mountain of bread pudding we delved into.

I have to add a side note about dessert, as Stringbean is yelling at me as I'm writing this. She felt this to be the best bread pudding she has ever had, and doesn't see why I don't feel this way. Now this comes with a huge asterisk, as Stringbean has very few bread puddings due to her food allergies, (most bread puddings will have cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) so she has less to compare this with.

In conclusion, we both enjoy Raglan Road due to the food and atmosphere. The meal had a nice pace and we had a great waiter. We definitely suggest a stop here for dinner, especially if you enjoy a homey atmosphere with live entertainment.

P.S.- I was trying to add this little guy :confused3 into my post, but this was the only way.

Ouch, sorry your meal at Tangierine Cafe wasn't so great
Looks like a quick trip to France made it all better though :)

Happy new Year to you both. We tried tangierine in 2009 and had the mixed slider meal, awful - only the baklava was worth eating.

Love the look of your meal at Raglan Road however.

LOL - most food in the UK isn't served on skewers, honest :teeth:

Great review of Raglan Road :thumbsup2

JIKO looks amazing!!! i was wishing i was there now (although its only 9:45am) but it made my mouth water!!!! YUM! I'll have to try there someday!

I wish I was there now too!!!! :rotfl: You should definitely try it, it's a wonderful restaurant!

Ouch, sorry your meal at Tangierine Cafe wasn't so great
Looks like a quick trip to France made it all better though :)

Too bad we didn't start off there, right? :laughing: Well, lunch #1 just made the bakery items that much more appealing!

Happy new Year to you both. We tried tangierine in 2009 and had the mixed slider meal, awful - only the baklava was worth eating.

Love the look of your meal at Raglan Road however.

Happy New Year to you too!!! I was definitely surprised at how very disappointing that meal was. Wingnut thought the baklava wasn't bad too, but it certainly didn't get more than a bite or two from him.

Raglan Road is a lot of fun! Especially if you go while the band and dancers are performing, it makes for a really lively and enjoyable meal! (And I'm standing my ground saying that bread pudding was awesome. :jumping1:

LOL - most food in the UK isn't served on skewers, honest :teeth:

Great review of Raglan Road :thumbsup2

Thank you (from Wingnut)! :goodvibes

:rotfl: I figured most things weren't, Wingnut just happened to choose a skewer-y meal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter