A pooh sized ride review

Adam&Alex's Mom

Adam & Alex's Mom
pooh: My family and I went to the parks from 8-6-2007 to 8-10-2007. I was apprehensive as I am pooh sized pooh: if you will (for search purposes lets also say overweight, plus sized, fat) I am female, about 5'10" and a size 26 (OK that was hard to type but I know important to those of you reading who need the information and the security of knowing you will be Ok at the park).

My ride review is limited to those rides I rode with my 4 yo boys... I wanted to try some rides with my DH but we just never got around to it... so if you have info on other rides please post a reply with your experience. A fellow Dis Boarder put my mind at ease as I was concerned about getting on the rides with kids and I was greatful.

As a general statement... it is true that DL and CA are very size friendly... the CM's are also all VERY NICE and will not look at you like you are crazy when you approach the rides... or if you ask them if you will be "OK on the ride"... they will know what you mean and nod and let you know discreetly.

OK... here are the rides we did:

Disneyland

• Dumbo - rode this with my son - no probs at all. Lots of room.
  • Mr. Toads Wild Ride - again no probs. I rode this with my son.
  • Peter pan - no probs - again I rode with my son
  • Alice in Wonderland - the carts have two rows.. I rode in the back row and my son in the front row although we both would have fit in the back row
  • Tea Cups - Me, my husband and my 2 DS rode in one teacup
  • Casey Jr. I rode in the caboose and the "coach" but didn't try the cages
  • It's a small world - these are boats ... no issues
  • Buzz lightyear - lots of fun no issues
  • Star Tours - pull the seatbelt out before you sit - it is plenty long and the seats are comfortable
  • Autopia - no prob from a size perspective... I rode this alone and with my son. If you are tall it is a little uncomfortable
  • Nemo - from a size perspectize not an issue... the stair case is a little steep so everyone should be careful
  • Astro Oribitor - OK... getting in was not a prob... I did it... I have the pic to prove it... getting out was another story. I thought I would be stuck in there all day. I did get out before the next ride started but I vowed NEVER to get on the ride again and left with my ego a little bruised. My kids rode with my DH the next few times they got on.
  • Gadgets go coaster - I didn't even try... I was guessing no. My husband is 6' and about 240 and he had no problem
  • Spalsh Mountain - I sat in the last row... no problem
  • Jungle cruise - the ride no problem.... this is the only turnstile I had a problem with
  • Steamboat Columbia - BIG BIG Boat - no problem
  • Main train - no problem
  • Pirates of the carribbean - Boat ride - no problem

California Adventure

• Grizzley River Run - pull the seat belt out before you sit... no problem
  • Soarin' over CA - pull the seat belt out before you sit down... big seats ... no problem
  • Monsters inc - no prob
  • Playhouse Disney - you can sit on the floor or they have benches along the wall. I sat on the floor with the kids
  • Flicks Flyers - no prob
  • Lady bug boogie (can't rememebr the exact name) - me my DH and my two sons sat in one bug
  • Hemlichs chew chew train - no prob
  • The bumber cars in bugs land - I did it with my son but wouldn't do it again... the bar didn't come down far enough for him to drive right

I hope this helps put at least one person's mind at ease!! I am more then willing to answer any questions.

If you have info on more rides please post. ~ Thanks!

Very cool, thank you!!! When we went, I went on Gadgets Go Coaster, and had no problems what so ever with it. I am a 20/22. But i so know what you mean about the Astro Orbiters!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Everytime i get off that ride I just know that I am going to bite the cement!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Nicely done :)

My husband and I are "pooh sized" as well.
I think the only issue we have ever had was Mulholland Madness in DCA, a very tight fit for any adult. We have managed it but it's not something we bothered to repeat on our other trips.

I agree - the Jungle Cruise turnstile is RIDICULOUS!! They really need to consider converting it to the new larger ones. It was too tight for me to even make it through and was REALLY embarassing. Thankfully a very nice CM caught on and saved me! :sad2:

Mulholland Madness - the only ride in Disney I've found that I can't go on. And from what I hear, I'm not missing out on much. :confused3

Great Review Adam & Alex's Mom - maybe someone shoud sticky this thread since people are always looking for this info.

Wonderful TR! I'm in the process of losing some pounds, but unless they come up with some magical pill, I'll still be pooh-sized by the time we go to DL in November.

PrincessChrysty - Re: the turnstyles on the Jungle Cruise...did the CM allow you to go through a stroller entry or something like that?

I turned sideways and tried to go through... no dice. I stopped nervously laughed and watched my familyu getting way in front of me and tried again... no dice... I turned 3 shades of red... mumbled a sorry to the group behind me... sucked in and pushed with all my might and made it through just as the last family member was boarding the boat... I made it! This is the only one I had a prob with... all the others I was fine going sideways.. I would have gone over the little railing if I had to!!

pooh: My family and I went to the parks from 8-6-2007 to 8-10-2007. I was apprehensive as I am pooh sized pooh: if you will (for search purposes lets also say overweight, plus sized, fat) I am female, about 5'10" and a size 26 (OK that was hard to type but I know important to those of you reading who need the information and the security of knowing you will be Ok at the park).

Adam&Alex's Mom -
Thanks for your honesty - I'm sure that are lots of people out here who really appreciate your insight and opinions...it's always the fear of *not-knowing*!

For others interested, Deb Wills has information on her website (is it ok if I post that here?) www.allearsnet.com , regarding *WDW at Large*. It is located under Theme Parks, then Special Needs Travellers, and then Ride Restrictions. Sorry I couldn't post the exact link - I'm not that good with those! :confused3 The info is for WDW, but can't be all that different from DL.
Thanks again for the info *Mom*!

PrincessChrysty - Re: the turnstyles on the Jungle Cruise...did the CM allow you to go through a stroller entry or something like that?

In the Jungle Cruise, the turnstiles are in the last leg of the line, right before you board the boat. I was with 2 big guys and they were able to make it through, but I couldn't. I was so freaked out. I tried to do it sideways, and I could almost hear the turnstile laughing at me! I was worried the people behind me were growing impatient (thank goodness my DH2B was behind me and he was super supportive). I tried to climb over, but it was NOT working as I was wearing a long jean skirt). There was a wonderful CM (Alea) who was standing in her empty boat waiting for the boat in front of her to finish loading - she noticed me having trouble. She called someone over for me and about 15 feet before the turnstile there's a gate that opens out onto the platform. The other CM came over, opened the gate and stopped any more people from moving forward. My DH2B was able to make it between the people and the railing out to the gate, but I had to tightly squeeze back up into the rail so that the people between the CM and myself could get through. Once we both made it onto the platform we were able to be the first ones onto Alea's boat. I asked her about my friends that had gone ahead through the turnstiles and she made sure they were able to sit right next to us. Let me tell you, stopping traffic like that was mortifying, but the CM did her best to make me feel comfortable. At the end of the ride, we were the last ones to get off and on the way out I thanked her. She told me that if I ever have a problem, or think that I'm going to, I can go to the handicap entrance of the ride and ask the CM if they'll let me on. She said most of them are really cool about it. But to be honest, that was the only ride I felt the need to do that on. The only rides I really avoid are Space Mountain (just because it's a tight squeeze) and California Screamin' (this ride is actually pretty accommodating for Pooh sized folks, but I feel like I'm a little beyond that at the moment 5'9" and about a size 34 :scared: ). In fact, I actually avoid all of the rides at Paradise Pier, but that's only because the only one that appeals to me is California Screamin' - it's the only I'd ride there even if I weighed 150 lbs!

Well,let me tell you that I'm a size 14 and there is absolutely no easy or graceful way of getting out of Astro Orbiter! I always feel like I can't hoist myself up and out of that thing. It is quite mortifying!

The bar on Big Thunder comes down on my tummy but there is still a huge space left between my dd and the bar. I hold her close when we do this ride. It seems she could fly right out the side on some of those turns since she isn't secured.

Well,let me tell you that I'm a size 14 and there is absolutely no easy or graceful way of getting out of Astro Orbiter! I always feel like I can't hoist myself up and out of that thing. It is quite mortifying!

The bar on Big Thunder comes down on my tummy but there is still a huge space left between my dd and the bar. I hold her close when we do this ride. It seems she could fly right out the side on some of those turns since she isn't secured.

Re: Big Thunder...My 5yo grandson wanted to go on this with me during our upcoming trip, but I remember riding this with my youngest son when he was 5 and he was doing the whole slip-sliding thing....it scared me to death. :scared:

I told GS that he'll have to ride with either his Daddy or Sister instead of Grandma.

I'm only a size 5 and I have trouble getting out of the Astro Orbiter! LOL I really don't like that ride at all so we just skip it, the kids can do it if they want but I avoid it. Also, DBF is 6'3" and about 175 lbs and HE has issues getting out of AO! Another reason to just avoid it for us. :) Also, BTMRR, my girls are 11 & 7, they slide all over the car in that one but it's one of the favorite rides so we go on it....a lot! LOL They love it and I love watching them slide all over the place and hearing them laugh. It's very safe IMO and I get such a kick out of watching them. They are always in the car ahead of us. :)

Thanks for this review! I'm a size 26 female too, and I have always found the teacups to be really tight. Of course, we tried to squeeze 3 plus sized adults into one teacup, and that was just too tight. I also agree about the Jungle Cruise turnstile! Those things are TIGHT!

On Peter Pan, the lap / safety bar won't come down far over large chests, so if you are "bosomy," the bar won't come down over the rider's lap. Pinocchio and Snow White are "safe" to ride with no problems.

I've never had an issue with Thunder Mountain's lapbar, either. Some of the caves on Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island are a very tight squeeze, so be careful of that. Indiana Jones has smallish seats, especially if your hips are large, but make SURE that you pull out your seatbelt first BEFORE sitting. Pull it out and snap it before you sit down or you will never get it on.

The Hauned Mansion is a very easy ride, too. The doom buggies are very roomy and big enough for 2 large adults. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin is pretty comfortable too, but can be a bit tight.

WOW thanks so much for the reviews. Thats great to know because so many people ask about this issue and what you did was brilliant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter