A Newbie's Guide to Orlando International Airport

I've been told that there are no 'cross-over' spots on levels 1 and 2..that you have to go back to level 3 to get from one side to the other.

Thanks for the info. No crossovers is a bummer. We will be arriving pretty late (near midnight) and it would be nice to have a more direct route, rather than have to drag our luggage all over the place. Oh well, at least we'll be close to meeting the Mouse:cool1:

Thanks for the info. No crossovers is a bummer. We will be arriving pretty late (near midnight) and it would be nice to have a more direct route, rather than have to drag our luggage all over the place. Oh well, at least we'll be close to meeting the Mouse:cool1:

Why not just pack your carryon bags with what you'll need for the night/next morning, and then let DME take care of the bags? I realize the bags won't get to you until the next morning but if you pack a change of clothes and some small toiletries (which you should do no matter where or when you are flying), you will be able to just go to bed, and then get up and start your day. Your luggage would most likely be in your room by 10am, I would think.

Why not just pack your carryon bags with what you'll need for the night/next morning, and then let DME take care of the bags? I realize the bags won't get to you until the next morning but if you pack a change of clothes and some small toiletries (which you should do no matter where or when you are flying), you will be able to just go to bed, and then get up and start your day. Your luggage would most likely be in your room by 10am, I would think.

I would absolutely love to do that, but the CM I spoke with at Disney reservations said that they absolutely do not pick up luggage for arrivals after 10pm. I would love to hear otherwise. From what I understand, luggage that is picked up close to 10pm may be delivered the next morning. We are arriving at 11:55pm, and would love to have DME take care of our luggage, but was told to pick it up ourselves:confused3

Here's what I just found on Allears
Effective March 30, 2009, Disney's Magical Express will no longer offer luggage delivery service for arrivals to the Orlando International Airport after 10 p.m. Guests arriving at the airport after 10 p.m. will pick up their luggage at the baggage claim and take it with them to the Magical Express motor coach to their resort. This will allow late-arriving guests using Magical Express to have more immediate access to their luggage. Luggage delivery service will still be provided for Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line guests traveling to Walt Disney World for a resort stay who arrive on flights beginning at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.

Yep...that's what I suggested.....tag your bags and let DME take them. No, you won't get your bags until the next morning, but at least you don't have to lug them all over creation at MCO...and that's a hike with luggage (Side A baggage claim to Side B DME). Your bags will stay at MCO until early the next morning, then be shipped to your resort.
But, if you don't want to have to wait for the bags, until the next day, you can bring them with you, on the bus.

Question about breakfast food at the airport.....we are flying out on a Saturday morning with Southwest.

What fast food is available around the gate area (gates 100+)? Or should we grab something in the food court to go and take it with us? (although it might be thoroughly cold by the time we get through security)

Last time we took our sweet time and ate in the food court and didn't realize it would take us an hour getting through security. This time I'm going to get to the gate a bit faster.

Thanks for the information. Great thread!

Question about breakfast food at the airport.....we are flying out on a Saturday morning with Southwest.

What fast food is available around the gate area (gates 100+)? Or should we grab something in the food court to go and take it with us? (although it might be thoroughly cold by the time we get through security)

Last time we took our sweet time and ate in the food court and didn't realize it would take us an hour getting through security. This time I'm going to get to the gate a bit faster.

Thanks for the information. Great thread!

I fly Southwest every year to and from MCO. I usually fly out in the evening, so I'm not familiar with the breakfast options, but I typically get a snack at McDonalds when I get to the Airside building. There's also a Sbarro, Au Bon Pain, and a few other places, and a Westwin News and Gifts where you can get water and sodas.

You can't take any liquids through security, so I wouldn't try taking breakfast with you, but you could grab a quick bite at the larger food court in the Landside terminal before you go through security.

I fly Southwest every year to and from MCO. I usually fly out in the evening, so I'm not familiar with the breakfast options, but I typically get a snack at McDonalds when I get to the Airside building. There's also a Sbarro, Au Bon Pain, and a few other places, and a Westwin News and Gifts where you can get water and sodas.

You can't take any liquids through security, so I wouldn't try taking breakfast with you, but you could grab a quick bite at the larger food court in the Landside terminal before you go through security.

Yay! Great to know there's a McDonalds in the airside part. We'll just wait then until we get there.

The thought of wrangling boarding passes, I.D., a 4 year old, and 3 carry ons, while hanging onto food, shoes off, shoes on, etc... sounds a little chaotic. I'm not sure how crowded MCO is on Saturday mornings, but I don't think I'll waste time eating in the food court. Took too long getting through security last time.

Thanks so much for the info!! We'll head on down to the gates and get something to eat.

Yay! Great to know there's a McDonalds in the airside part. We'll just wait then until we get there.

The thought of wrangling boarding passes, I.D., a 4 year old, and 3 carry ons, while hanging onto food, shoes off, shoes on, etc... sounds a little chaotic. I'm not sure how crowded MCO is on Saturday mornings, but I don't think I'll waste time eating in the food court. Took too long getting through security last time.

Thanks so much for the info!! We'll head on down to the gates and get something to eat.

I've never been to MCO on a Saturday morning (I usually arrive on a Wed, Thu, or Fri morning and leave on a Fri, Mon, or Tue evening), but I can give you a few tips about negotiating the security lines in any airport.

Empty your pockets into your carry-ons ahead of time, except for your ID and boarding passes. Keep the ID and boarding passes in an easily-accessible pocket (I use a shirt pocket). You will only need your ID twice - when you check your bags at the SWA counter, and when you enter the security line. You will need your boarding passes three times - when you enter the security line, when you pass through the metal detector at the security line, and when you actually board the plane.

Plan on needing to take your shoes off in the line, and select shoes that go on and off easily. Some shoes can be laced up halfway and tied when you dress that morning, making it easier to slip them off and back on at security.

Anything that you will need in the airport, pack in your carry-on bag before you depart WDW. Don't try traipsing through the airport with a carry-on bag, a plastic bag of souvenirs, a magazine, a water bottle, etc. Put all that stuff in your bag before you even leave your hotel, and only take out individual items as you need them.

If you have a 3-1-1 bag of liquids, be sure to pack it in an outer or upper pocket of your carry-on bag, where it is easy to access.

If you have a jacket or sweater or other wrap, pack it in your carry-on. Sure, you may need it when you land, and you might even need it on the plane, but it has to come off to go through security, so just leave it in your carry-on until you actually need it; juggling a jacket or sweater along with your other stuff as you go through the security lines is one more awkward thing that you don't need to do. Ditto for hats.

Most importantly, any preparations you might need to make before going through security should be done BEFORE you even get into the line. Trying to empty your pockets while in the line, juggling multiple bags, is mighty difficult; you can easily lose stuff or forget stuff in your poickets. Once you get into the line, the only things you should have to do are A) take your laptop out of your carry-on, B) take your shoes off, and C) put bag, shoes, laptop in individual plastic bins and wait with them till they go into the x-ray scanner.

Thanks. I'm familiar with all that.

We've not had any trouble anywhere except our 2006 Disney trip....there was a major mass of people. They were all pressing in against each other trying to squeeze in ahead. We had a kid and a stroller and were holding bags & stroller up against our chests because we were getting squished. Anyway, we wound around a huge pillar, then they separated us into 4 lines.

Finally we were filing into these 4 lines to show our ID's. Then they squished all 4 lines back together and people were upset because people were crowding in ahead of them to try to form back into 1 line. Then after a while waiting, we were split into 4 or 5 lines again at the individual TSA checklines. It was so unorganized. Worst airport security organization we'd ever seen.

Hopefully it's not still like that. Maybe they've improved it somewhat.

Any idea where the Delta Airline club lounge is located in MCO? My Amex card lets me into various airline club locations around the country, and it looks like MCO is one of them. Thanks!

Any idea where the Delta Airline club lounge is located in MCO? My Amex card lets me into various airline club locations around the country, and it looks like MCO is one of them. Thanks!

According to the Delta web page, the Delta Sky Club Lounge at MCO is located in the center atrium area of the Airside building (Delta operates out of Airside 4, gates 70-99).

I've never been to MCO on a Saturday morning (I usually arrive on a Wed, Thu, or Fri morning and leave on a Fri, Mon, or Tue evening), but I can give you a few tips about negotiating the security lines in any airport.

Empty your pockets into your carry-ons ahead of time, except for your ID and boarding passes. Keep the ID and boarding passes in an easily-accessible pocket (I use a shirt pocket). You will only need your ID twice - when you check your bags at the SWA counter, and when you enter the security line. You will need your boarding passes three times - when you enter the security line, when you pass through the metal detector at the security line, and when you actually board the plane.

Plan on needing to take your shoes off in the line, and select shoes that go on and off easily. Some shoes can be laced up halfway and tied when you dress that morning, making it easier to slip them off and back on at security.

Anything that you will need in the airport, pack in your carry-on bag before you depart WDW. Don't try traipsing through the airport with a carry-on bag, a plastic bag of souvenirs, a magazine, a water bottle, etc. Put all that stuff in your bag before you even leave your hotel, and only take out individual items as you need them.

If you have a 3-1-1 bag of liquids, be sure to pack it in an outer or upper pocket of your carry-on bag, where it is easy to access.

If you have a jacket or sweater or other wrap, pack it in your carry-on. Sure, you may need it when you land, and you might even need it on the plane, but it has to come off to go through security, so just leave it in your carry-on until you actually need it; juggling a jacket or sweater along with your other stuff as you go through the security lines is one more awkward thing that you don't need to do. Ditto for hats.

Most importantly, any preparations you might need to make before going through security should be done BEFORE you even get into the line. Trying to empty your pockets while in the line, juggling multiple bags, is mighty difficult; you can easily lose stuff or forget stuff in your poickets. Once you get into the line, the only things you should have to do are A) take your laptop out of your carry-on, B) take your shoes off, and C) put bag, shoes, laptop in individual plastic bins and wait with them till they go into the x-ray scanner.
and you would be well served to have all of these memorized and do them quickly! Our group did not move fast enough in May (I walk with a cane and move a little slower tyhan some people) and we were yelled at repeatedly by the TSA screeners (in very difficult to understand English!) and finally, they just pulled me to one side and asked for a female inspector to come and search me. Apparently, none of the men knew what a tines unit was (a small radio size device that has wires running from it to patches you wear to an area on your body to help with pain managemnt). I had taken the nit off, put it in the bin and showed the wires to the examiner. He still didn't understand what it was. I have flowon all over the world (including many trips in and out of MCO and this has NEVER been a problem before. But this last time, our entire group was treated as if we were stupid, didn't understand English and couldn''t or wouldn't follow the rules. These TSA screeners had zero manners.

The guide is no doubt a good one. It is excellent for a beginner. i will recommend it to many people.

This is great! my sister is thinking of having a vacation in Florida and she'll be flying there this December, I'll let her know about this thread.

Yep...that's what I suggested.....tag your bags and let DME take them. No, you won't get your bags until the next morning, but at least you don't have to lug them all over creation at MCO...and that's a hike with luggage (Side A baggage claim to Side B DME). Your bags will stay at MCO until early the next morning, then be shipped to your resort.
But, if you don't want to have to wait for the bags, until the next day, you can bring them with you, on the bus.

Has anybody tested this?? I know for almost a year now, DME will not pick up or deliver luggage after 10pm. Has anyone arrived after 10pm and purposely decided to leave their luggage at the airport with the yellow tags for delivery the next day?? I would LOVE to do that, as I have no need for my bags until the next afternoon. (We have what we need to go to bed and get up the next morning in our carryon.) We are Southwest fliers, so that means a trip downstairs and back upstairs for us.

Has anybody tested this?? I know for almost a year now, DME will not pick up or deliver luggage after 10pm. Has anyone arrived after 10pm and purposely decided to leave their luggage at the airport with the yellow tags for delivery the next day?? I would LOVE to do that, as I have no need for my bags until the next afternoon. (We have what we need to go to bed and get up the next morning in our carryon.) We are Southwest fliers, so that means a trip downstairs and back upstairs for us.
I can't imagine why it would be any different. Not sure why it would have to be 'tested'. If DME is saying that nobody is picking up the luggage, then I'm pretty sure it is just put aside. Then, they should be picked up, first thing in the morning, and delivered. That's what they 'say' is supposed to happen.

I can't imagine why it would be any different. Not sure why it would have to be 'tested'. If DME is saying that nobody is picking up the luggage, then I'm pretty sure it is just put aside. Then, they should be picked up, first thing in the morning, and delivered. That's what they 'say' is supposed to happen.

OK, cool. For some reason I was thinking they were insisting that folks go pick up their luggage after 10pm. I didn't think they were allowing folks to leave it at the airport overnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter