A Mother-Daughter Sea/Land August Trip - UPDATE! CHANGES??? (2/24)

YAY! I'm so glad to see you back! Now, no more disappearing! :rotfl:

So glad y'all got all moved in to the new home. Saying prayers that the other will sell soon. Ed & I have been in that situation so I understand completely!

Can't wait to hear about what ADR's you're contemplating!!

Hi Amanda!! Thanks for sticking with me (or returning to my abandoned report with me ;)).

Okay!!! I just realized that I have to make my ADRs NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!

I am going to get a post up in the next couple of days that lays out my tentative plans (they are still very tentative with a lot of question marks so I may need some help :faint:). I mean, I have to get some DIS feedback before ADR day!!!!!!

Yay!!!! You're back!

Yay!!!! ADR time!!!!!

I started an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of mine :rotfl:

So glad that you got settled into your new home. Thinking good thoughts for yours to sell.:goodvibes

Yay!!!! You're back!

Yay!!!! ADR time!!!!!

So glad that you got settled into your new home. Thinking good thoughts for yours to sell.:goodvibes

Hello!!!! :woohoo: And thanks for the good thoughts!

:rotfl2: An Excel spreadsheet! Are you going Deluxe again? I am keeping our ADRs relatively barebones, I think. Maybe. Oh, I don't know! :confused3 :rotfl2:

Hello!!!! :woohoo: And thanks for the good thoughts!

:rotfl2: An Excel spreadsheet! Are you going Deluxe again? I am keeping our ADRs relatively barebones, I think. Maybe. Oh, I don't know! :confused3 :rotfl2:

Yeah we are doing Deluxe. I had to use the spreadsheet, it was too much otherwise! :rotfl:

Bad news: Cali Grill not scheduled to reopen until August. But, maybe you'll be one of the first to go???!!!:thumbsup2

Yeah we are doing Deluxe. I had to use the spreadsheet, it was too much otherwise! :rotfl:

Bad news: Cali Grill not scheduled to reopen until August. But, maybe you'll be one of the first to go???!!!:thumbsup2

Oh, that's a shame about CG. :(

I really think we are going to do the Yachtsman - Willow loves steak and has been asking to go somewhere for steak when we are at WDW, so that seems like the most likely place to please. :thumbsup2

Oh, that's a shame about CG. :(

I really think we are going to do the Yachtsman - Willow loves steak and has been asking to go somewhere for steak when we are at WDW, so that seems like the most likely place to please. :thumbsup2

I've been looking at the Yachtsman's menu a lot too (don't want to give too much away before I get the PTR underway :rotfl:). It looks really good, and it's definitely one that Bryan is interested. We're doing a few more signatures this trip, and I had a really hard time choosing. At one point I had 4 windows open on the computer and was reading all of the menus aloud hoping that Bryan would help me pick. :rotfl:

I have a big Mickey Mouse 3 subject notebook that Ed bought me at Target. 1st section is for cruise planning, 2nd section is for Dec WDW planning and (right now) 3rd section is for Reid's bday planning.

Then, I will be moving all the planning info from the notebook to my computer. Yes, I'm neurotic. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I've been looking at the Yachtsman's menu a lot too (don't want to give too much away before I get the PTR underway :rotfl:). It looks really good, and it's definitely one that Bryan is interested. We're doing a few more signatures this trip, and I had a really hard time choosing. At one point I had 4 windows open on the computer and was reading all of the menus aloud hoping that Bryan would help me pick. :rotfl:

Oh, I'm excited to hear what signatures you are doing! :woohoo:

I have a big Mickey Mouse 3 subject notebook that Ed bought me at Target. 1st section is for cruise planning, 2nd section is for Dec WDW planning and (right now) 3rd section is for Reid's bday planning.

Then, I will be moving all the planning info from the notebook to my computer. Yes, I'm neurotic. :lmao::lmao::lmao:
:laughing: I do all mine on the computer. Much easier to delete and change and delete and change and delete and change. :rolleyes:

Okay, so I am going to share my tentative plans and hope that someone will pop in here with some advice about what, if anything, to add. :confused3

So we arrive on a Friday. We will have gotten up at 4:00am West Coast time and will arrive at MCO around 5:30pm East Coast time, I think. As you can imagine, I'm not making any big plans for this night. I think we will explore the resort a bit and maybe go to DTD (we have never been! :scared1:).

The next day is obviously Saturday, not an ideal park day, but it's our first day, so we will be in the MK. Willow thought long and hard about it and decided (at least for now) that she DOES want to do the BBB ("because I want to see what dresses they have" :rolleyes:), so that will be our first stop if I get lucky with an early reservation. Our tradition (i.e., both prior trips) is to do BBB, then have some fun, and then eat lunch at CRT. So I will be trying for that difficult ressie as well. :scared1: Due to the heat and crowds, I'm guessing we won't last in the MK much past lunch. Thinking a break at the resort, and then we will have to hit DHS because Willow can't possibly be at WDW for 24 hours and not do ToT. :laughing: NOT SURE WHAT TO DO FOR DINNER HERE!!!! :confused3 Counter service would be fine, but at DHS the choices aren't so great. I'm thinking about staying for Fantasmic! since we haven't done it yet, but we might also consider going back to POR to catch Yeeha Bob. :confused3

Sunday (second full day) will be DHS. And we will be doing our traditional HBD lunch. Not sure about the evening - kind of leaving it open. Maybe go see Wishes or Yeeha Bob if we don't do it the night before. Thoughts on whether I should make a dinner ADR somewhere just in case? :confused3

Okay - that's the first two full days. Will have to get to the rest tomorrow or soon thereafter. Please, if you have advice or suggestions, let me have 'em!

Thanks!!! :woohoo:

Yay!!! ADR updates!

If you go to DTD, Rainforest & T Rex are both super cool to kids (might want an ADR for that though). EoS is one of our CS faves there.

First day sounds rough. Maybe you could hop over to the Beach Club to Beaches and Cream or to the Boardwalk for a light dinner. :confused3

I've heard good things about the food court and the TS at POR if you end up back at the resort. The one at POFQ was pretty boring, but did the trick for a CS. I've never done Sci-Fi but people really love it. Do you think Willow would like that atmosphere? The portions look huge-you could probably easily split something-but that's another ADR.

I just love ADR talk. Want me to email you my Excel spreadsheet to give you at least 3 more options per day? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Plans are sounding good so far!

I would definitely say no ADRs for arrival night since y'all will have had a long day. DTD sounds like a good option. But, if you don't make it there, the food court should work out well.

The second day - glad to hear Willow wants to do BBB again! Such fun! And I hope you can get your lunch CRT ADR. I've never eaten at CRT before so I don't know how big of meal/filling it is. If it leaves y'all stuffed, you may prefer not to have an ADR for that night and play it by ear.

Sunday - Ok, so you're spending the day @ DHS with lunch @ HBD. I would say if you want to see Wishes, either do a CS in MK or maybe pick a restaurant that would have a view of Wishes. Darn! I was gonna say Cali Grill but I just remembered that they'll be closed during your trip.

I'm gonna think some more for you. I think my tiredness from this day is finally sinking in.

:laughing: I do all mine on the computer. Much easier to delete and change and delete and change and delete and change. :rolleyes:

But there's something about writing things over & over in a notebook that makes me happy. And then typing it into the computer is the icing on the cake. Like I said, I have issues. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yay!!! ADR updates!

If you go to DTD, Rainforest & T Rex are both super cool to kids (might want an ADR for that though). EoS is one of our CS faves there.
:woohoo: ADR talk! I am seriously thinking about picking up some gluten-free treats at Babycakes at DTD, shopping a bit, and then having dinner at the resort food court - it's supposed to be pretty good. :confused3 Or, more likely, we'll be beat so we'll check out the resort, eat at the food court, unpack, and sleep :rotfl2:

First day sounds rough. Maybe you could hop over to the Beach Club to Beaches and Cream or to the Boardwalk for a light dinner. :confused3
Yeah, that's a possibility I hadn't considered. I'm also toying with the idea of just making an ADR at Sci-Fi - we can cancel if we decide not to stick around DHS for dinner, I think. :confused3

I've heard good things about the food court and the TS at POR if you end up back at the resort. The one at POFQ was pretty boring, but did the trick for a CS. I've never done Sci-Fi but people really love it. Do you think Willow would like that atmosphere? The portions look huge-you could probably easily split something-but that's another ADR.
Ha! Great minds - I do think that I may add that ADR. We are tentatively planning to share meals at most places so that we can do more snacking, but that sometimes sucks because Willow doesn't want to eat anything that I want to eat. :rotfl2:

I just love ADR talk. Want me to email you my Excel spreadsheet to give you at least 3 more options per day? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
:rotfl2: I think your spreadsheet would give me anxiety!!!

Plans are sounding good so far!
Thanks! :thumbsup2

I would definitely say no ADRs for arrival night since y'all will have had a long day. DTD sounds like a good option. But, if you don't make it there, the food court should work out well.
Yeah, I'm guessing that we'll end up at the food court, but it will be nice to play it by ear. I'm really trying to do a lot more of that this trip - have some flexibility to switch it up based on what sounds fun to Willow at the time. :confused3

The second day - glad to hear Willow wants to do BBB again! Such fun! And I hope you can get your lunch CRT ADR. I've never eaten at CRT before so I don't know how big of meal/filling it is. If it leaves y'all stuffed, you may prefer not to have an ADR for that night and play it by ear.
I don't recall CRT being a super-sized meal, but they have changed the menu completely, I think. I will note that we likely won't be eating breakfast - learned this last time - we are still on West Coast time, at least at the beginning of the trip, and eating breakfast at what would be 4am our time just doesn't appeal! :rotfl2: So maybe I should make a dinner ADR just in case. Really thinking about Sci-Fi, but wondering if we will really make it to and/or stay in DHS. Hmmm, can't hurt to make the ADR, I guess....

Sunday - Ok, so you're spending the day @ DHS with lunch @ HBD. I would say if you want to see Wishes, either do a CS in MK or maybe pick a restaurant that would have a view of Wishes. Darn! I was gonna say Cali Grill but I just remembered that they'll be closed during your trip.
You know, I'm kind of tempted to make an ADR at some place like Tony's - we have never eaten at a TS restaurant in MK other than CRT. Hmmm, what do you think? (BTW, we have never seen Wishes either! :scared1: We have always been there for HalloWishes!)

I'm gonna think some more for you. I think my tiredness from this day is finally sinking in.
Totally understand. Let me know if you have any other great ideas!

But there's something about writing things over & over in a notebook that makes me happy. And then typing it into the computer is the icing on the cake. Like I said, I have issues. :lmao::lmao::lmao:
Sadly, I can totally understand this. I make lists sometimes JUST to cross things off. I create charts of things just to create the chart. Ugh - it's a disease. :faint:

So while we continue to figure out my first two full days, I'm going to go ahead and set out the current idea for Day 3.

This will be an Epcot day. :woohoo: My only plan for an ADR right now is our first signature dining experience - the Yachtsman Steakhouse (Willow is a BIG fan of steak, so we should be able to share a really nice meal here).

Of course, now I am wondering what we will do for lunch. Given the situation with us not really wanting breakfast because of the time change, I wonder if maybe I should make an ADR for an early-ish lunch. I mean, again, it would be better to make an ADR now and cancel it if I change my mind than risk not being able to get anything later, right? :confused3 So where should we go? Somewhere we haven't tried like Japan? Surprise Willow with lunch at Akershus (I told her that we weren't going to do both CRT and Akershus this trip). What do you think????

I think that Epcot days are the hardest to plan for ADRs. There are just too many choices!

You aren't doing DDP are you? Because I just don't think that I'd pay OOP for the food at Akershus. Although, it's the only place besides Storytime with Belle to see Belle in her yellow dress now.

Places I considered for our Epcot day: Coral Reef (cool aquariums!), Les Chefs (Remy!) Via Napoli-though with your gluten intolerance that might not be much fun, Teppan Edo, San Angel Inn, and Garden Grill.

I really need to get my PTR underway because I don't want to give everything away!:rotfl2:

A must do lunch for my family at Epcot is Chefs De France. Love their lunch menu...and a bonus, Remy comes around and talks to the guests!!!

I think that Epcot days are the hardest to plan for ADRs. There are just too many choices!
I know! I always struggle with Epcot because I want to eat EVERYWHERE! :laughing:

You aren't doing DDP are you? Because I just don't think that I'd pay OOP for the food at Akershus. Although, it's the only place besides Storytime with Belle to see Belle in her yellow dress now.
No DDP. Honestly, we just end up canceling too many ADRs to make it worth it for us. You know, we love Akershus, but we have only done breakfast there. It is definitely one of Willow's favorite, so I think it would be worth the cost because of how much she would love it and how surprised she would be. That said, I would like to try something new. I'm also thinking about Chefs and Rose and Crown. :confused3

Places I considered for our Epcot day: Coral Reef (cool aquariums!), Les Chefs (Remy!) Via Napoli-though with your gluten intolerance that might not be much fun, Teppan Edo, San Angel Inn, and Garden Grill.
We ate dinner at Coral Reef on our first trip, and it was really good. I would definitely like to go back, but like you said, there are so many choices in Epcot! I want to try them all. :laughing: Definitely thinking about Chefs - is Remy still there????? Yeah, I had the same thought about VN - I just don't know that they would have a lot of options for me. :confused3 I think Teppan Edo would be really fun, but I didn't get the best feedback earlier when I asked about it. Definitely would like SAI, but we are going to eat in Mexico later in the trip. ;) I totally want to go to Garden Grill!!! Isn't it just dinner though? Am I crazy? Hmm - could be......

I really need to get my PTR underway because I don't want to give everything away!:rotfl2:
Yeah, finish up that TR and get started, woman! :laughing:

A must do lunch for my family at Epcot is Chefs De France. Love their lunch menu...and a bonus, Remy comes around and talks to the guests!!!
Hello! Thanks for popping in!

So Remy is still there???? I haven't been able to find any recent reviews. I think that may be what we do this day! :woohoo: Thanks!

QUICK UPDATE - NEED YOUR HELP! :laughing:

I am suddenly considering adding the DDP. We have never done it because I just didn't feel like we would usually eat enough to make it worth it. But it looks like it is about $56 per adult and $17 per child (correct????) per night, which doesn't seem like it would be more than we would be spending. I would do CRT and Yachtsman and HBD out-of-pocket mostly because of the 2-dining-credit rule on those - for the latter two, we would likely be sharing or ordering appetizers (salad for lunch at HBD!), so I wouldn't want to use the DDP.

Tell me what you think. Good idea? Terrible idea? Should I just stick with my original plan and hope that Willow and I can agree on meals so that we can share? :confused3

Thanks in advance!!!! :woohoo:

I don't know what exactly the price breaks down to per person, but you know we love the DDP. On the last trip we saved about $800 doing DxDP. For me one of the best parts is that it's paid for before we go. We don't worry about how much we're spending while we're there, we can just enjoy ourselves. Especially if you're doing the pricey character meals. Willow sounds like a good eater, I don't really think you'd find yourself feeling like you're wasting credits on her meals. I like the snack credits too. It's nice to have a prepaid option for snacking. Plus, we used the mugs constantly.

It sounds like you and Willow would be planning to do 2 meals per day, so the DDP may work out just right for you.

Last trip when deciding if we should do DxDP, I went to AllEars, tried to guess what we'd each order at the places we wanted to go, and figured up the costs. For us it was a huge savings.

We haven't really been tempted to skip our ADRs yet though, the one thing that DDP doesn't offer is much flexibility.

I don't know what exactly the price breaks down to per person, but you know we love the DDP. On the last trip we saved about $800 doing DxDP. For me one of the best parts is that it's paid for before we go. We don't worry about how much we're spending while we're there, we can just enjoy ourselves. Especially if you're doing the pricey character meals. Willow sounds like a good eater, I don't really think you'd find yourself feeling like you're wasting credits on her meals. I like the snack credits too. It's nice to have a prepaid option for snacking. Plus, we used the mugs constantly.
Yeah, I do like the convenience factor. I do generally pre-pay by purchasing gift cards in advance, but the DDP would probably be more freeing in that regard.

Willow has been a better eater lately, so I'm thinking that at her age now, it might be more worth it. On past trips, it would have been a waste for sure, but she definitely eats a lot more now. :confused3

We do not drink soda at all. Would there be non-soda options for using the mugs?

It sounds like you and Willow would be planning to do 2 meals per day, so the DDP may work out just right for you.
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking with the crazy heat and crowds of August, we may like more planned meal breaks. Hmm - maybe the DDP actually would be a good idea for us!

Last trip when deciding if we should do DxDP, I went to AllEars, tried to guess what we'd each order at the places we wanted to go, and figured up the costs. For us it was a huge savings.
That is a really smart idea. Is there a deadline for when I can add the DDP? I have to make my ADRs next weekend, but can I add the DDP after that if I don't decide before then?

We haven't really been tempted to skip our ADRs yet though, the one thing that DDP doesn't offer is much flexibility.
We canceled a lot of meals last trip. I would hope that we wouldn't be doing that this time, but I guess there's no way to know. :confused3

Yeah, I do like the convenience factor. I do generally pre-pay by purchasing gift cards in advance, but the DDP would probably be more freeing in that regard.

Willow has been a better eater lately, so I'm thinking that at her age now, it might be more worth it. On past trips, it would have been a waste for sure, but she definitely eats a lot more now. :confused3

We do not drink soda at all. Would there be non-soda options for using the mugs?

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking with the crazy heat and crowds of August, we may like more planned meal breaks. Hmm - maybe the DDP actually would be a good idea for us!

That is a really smart idea. Is there a deadline for when I can add the DDP? I have to make my ADRs next weekend, but can I add the DDP after that if I don't decide before then?

We canceled a lot of meals last trip. I would hope that we wouldn't be doing that this time, but I guess there's no way to know. :confused3

For mugs, anything they have on their fountains, and tea and coffee are included. If you're mostly just water drinkers, you may not find the mugs as nice as we do. :rotfl:

The heat factor is what prompted us to do it the first time. It was nice to know we had a seat in the air conditioning a few times per day.

I'm pretty sure that you can add DDP up to 30-45 days before the trip. You can definitely add it after you make ADRs. I made all of our ADR for the last trip and the next one before we even had our rooms booked. :rotfl2:

If you make your ADR, check the prices and think it'll be worth it, it should be really easy to add. Remember the snack credits too. You can use them for pretzels, popcorn, breakfast items at the resort, water, treats from the bakery, etc. :rotfl2: We used them for benigets a lot at POFQ.

With DDP you get one CS, and one TS and one snack per person per day. You'll still have flexibility for your CS meals, and you'll only be locked into your TS ressies.

We really like it obviously, but my MiL had never done any dining plans before she went with us, and she says she'll never do WDW without it again. I think she saved over $150 in the 3 days she was with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter