A little color on the Dis

I don't want to co-opt the OP's thread, and OP, I'm sorry if I have.

"

So yes they said there didn't have to be a person of color in one sentence but then in the next said if there will ever hear from someone of color on the show. Not sure what other way you can take that other than there "a person of color should be on the show just because" as those two sentences above from the OP are a bit contradictory. If there doesn't have to be someone of color why is it then "will I ever hear from someone of color on the show"

OK, so I think this just comes from a difference in perspective. I think, objectively, the OP is being very honest. There doesn't HAVE to be a person of color. It's not a moral imperative. It can be a perfectly fine show for lots of folks even if there will only be white folks on it from here til kingdom come. BUT if he/she WON'T hear from someone of color, maybe the show might not be for him/her. Do you ever watch BET? Or any shows that are completely made of up people of color? I rarely do, I know. As I mentioned, I don't think about the race of the cast all the time, but at the moments when it really stands out I find myself kind of shouting to myself in my kitchen at the podcast: "Oh my gosh, it's *(for example, chicken and waffles)* don't laugh at that it is super common!!!" The show might not be for everybody. That's OK, and OP wasn't being disingenuous.

" I take each thread for what they are so no I'm not saying all threads that have popped up recently should be lumped in the same. The recent posts, including this one, don't focus on the skills or talents of the people who are hired for the show they focus on the color of their skin. I'm not saying the OP or anyone else is coming at it from a negative way at all really but just as the authors of the posts can share their observations I am sharing mine.

That's fair, but I think color of one's skin is still an important category of experience in the world, especially in a podcast devoted to talking about individuals' experiences--as travel agents and as individuals in the parks. It might not be important to you, but it's important to others (including myself) and it's valid.

And as I mentioned on another thread I'm pretty certain there are people out there that have never seen any of the podcasts, vlogs, or any other small video those employed by the DIS have done. That means there are people out there who have no idea the races of the voices they are listening to. Do you know all the races of the radio personalities you listen to on the radio or do you just listen to them because you like them?

We often know the race of someone that we're listening to, to say otherwise would just be picking exceptions to the rule. I like it when people acknowledge and recognize who they are and how their experiences might be shaped by race, gender, sexual orientations, etc.. I think Pete and many of the podcast members do this and I've been impressed by how they discuss these issues.

I don't understand the "flummoxed by chicken and waffles" part. Not starting a debate but trying to understand your view here, are you saying had someone on that particular show been a person of color they wouldn't have been flummoxed by chicken and waffles? By the way, very few of us are white, look at your skin and look at a piece of paper, we all have color (well maybe if we were a vampire or a walking dead we might not, I've never met one of those so can't say).

Chicken and waffles is a soul food dish, and really traditional in a lot of Southern black communities and diaspora communities in cities up North. The first time anyone at the podcast had it was at Boatwright's at POR, and they spent quite some time laughing about it and wondering what the heck it was and why it existed as an entree item. The next show they acknowledged a lot of listeners had written in to set them straight about how common it was. They discussed another chicken and waffles dish at Homecoming recently and it was a non-issue, because now they knew about it. Yeah, if there was someone recently from NYC or Chicago or a person of African American descent on the podcast a few years ago when it first came up, I think they would have known. That is one that stands out in my memory, but a lot of little issues like that crop up.

I should add-- do I think it's a BIG DEAL that no one knew what chicken and waffles were? No! I don't. Of course not. But I think it showed how homogenous the group was. I appreciate that everyone has been respectful and I really don't want to co-opt this thread, so I'm going to stop responding here. Not out of anger, but because my only hope in getting involved in the conversation was to amplify the OP's voice and hopefully make him/her feel welcome to speak about what's important to them.

Chicken and waffles is a soul food dish, and really traditional in a lot of Southern black communities and diaspora communities in cities up North. The first time anyone at the podcast had it was at Boatwright's at POR, and they spent quite some time laughing about it and wondering what the heck it was and why it existed as an entree item. The next show they acknowledged a lot of listeners had written in to set them straight about how common it was. They discussed another chicken and waffles dish at Homecoming recently and it was a non-issue, because now they knew about it. Yeah, if there was someone recently from NYC or Chicago or a person of African American descent on the podcast a few years ago when it first came up, I think they would have known. That is one that stands out in my memory, but a lot of little issues like that crop up.

Thank you that explains it.

Is there any way the mods can create a separate forum for these diversity posts that come every single week now? They are not relevant to any subject that was discussed on the podcast. Thx

Is there any way the mods can create a separate forum for these diversity posts that come every single week now? They are not relevant to any subject that was discussed on the podcast. Thx
While I'm not the mod of this board nor do I want to speak on behalf of them, but this topic regards the podcast and this is the podcast board so it is relevant to the show. I think the discussion has been going well so far so I see no reason to get rid of it.

I am getting tired of the accusation the podcast team is racist, secretly racist, unintentionally racist or racist because no one has "educated" them.

They are not racist period! Kevin has stated several times ANYONE may apply. I have zero reason to believe Pete wouldn't hire them because of race. Kevin, John and Pete are world travelers, they know and have seen far more about traditions, customs, international history, cultures then frankly probably anyone on this board. Did any of you listen to Monday's show? I'll never know or see as much as them. They don't need an education and yet they listen and are receptive to feedback. They are GOOD people! They aren't these mean, snickering ignorant people they keep being protrayed as in these threads.

The podcast crew is diverse, they have other staff off camera, moderators, contributors and travel agents as well. We see just a few faces of the whole company.

Just stop please, yes there is racism in the world, but it's not in the podcast and it's not on this board. To me, people are trying to almost nit pick for ANYTHING to point to.

As I think about those they have hired, they are brilliant, they are simply the best. Dustin was stellar, Craig works insanely hard and Tracey and Michael are freaking encyclopedias of knowledge. The people they hire and feature are absolutely the most qualified, that's all.

OK, so I think this just comes from a difference in perspective. I think, objectively, the OP is being very honest. There doesn't HAVE to be a person of color. It's not a moral imperative. It can be a perfectly fine show for lots of folks even if there will only be white folks on it from here til kingdom come. BUT if he/she WON'T hear from someone of color, maybe the show might not be for him/her. Do you ever watch BET? Or any shows that are completely made of up people of color? I rarely do, I know. As I mentioned, I don't think about the race of the cast all the time, but at the moments when it really stands out I find myself kind of shouting to myself in my kitchen at the podcast: "Oh my gosh, it's *(for example, chicken and waffles)* don't laugh at that it is super common!!!" The show might not be for everybody. That's OK, and OP wasn't being disingenuous.
Well I didn't say the OP wasn't being honest at all.

It's kinda funny you mention BET because I watched that all the time..I also listen to a hip hop rap station all the time. "Girlfriends" was one of my favorite tv shows and so was "The Game". I had no problem whatsoever with the fact that those shows are black-centric..I just watched it because I enjoyed it. I wasn't focused on the race of the actors/actresses. Oh the comedy specials BET put on was a highlight too.

That's fair, but I think color of one's skin is still an important category of experience in the world, especially in a podcast devoted to talking about individuals' experiences--as travel agents and as individuals in the parks. It might not be important to you, but it's important to others (including myself) and it's valid.
Well I guess it's an important category for you and others and that's perfectly fine but personally I am not defined by my race. I don't share experiences with people and say "well that's a white person thing you wouldn't understand".

I'm not invalidating your opinions here at all nor anyone else so please don't think that's what I'm saying. It's a valid opinion for sure but it doesn't really get anywhere in solving the issue that started the thread right by saying "when will there be a person of color on the show"? That's why I brought up using a thread for informational purposes regarding how to get hired, etc.

We often know the race of someone that we're listening to, to say otherwise would just be picking exceptions to the rule. I like it when people acknowledge and recognize who they are and how their experiences might be shaped by race, gender, sexual orientations, etc.. I think Pete and many of the podcast members do this and I've been impressed by how they discuss these issues.
I for one do not know the races of those who I am listening do; sure if I see them on video I find out but I'm not focusing on it). My thoughts do not run along the line of "ohhh he must be white..or ohhh she must be black" I listened to the podcasts well before I watched them. I didn't have a clue what race they were at all. I don't know the races of the radio personalities of who I listen to at all. I don't even know what they look like..I just like to listen to them. So no it's not an exception to the rule for me personally so with all due respect and no offense meant on that we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention:

*Anyone remember "Sister, Sister"? Awesome show by the way didn't matter one bit that there were few white people on the show. Oh yeah and "Family Matters"..hello what a great feel good show..Oh yeah and Fresh Prince (the gold standard of comedy shows to me). At least to me I was able to enjoy those shows instead of questioning why they didn't have more white people on them. And no this isn't meant in any sort of mean way at all especially to the OP who brought the issue up. It's just my personal experience.*

Oh and of course my rhetorical argument fails miserably by finding the one out of maybe half a dozen white folks I've ever met who has watched BET. (ETA: I'm assuming you are white, too, I don't think you mentioned. Apologies for these assumptions.) These are tough conversations and there aren't any shortcuts. Thanks for hearing me out and engaging respectfully. I really really appreciate it.

Oh and of course my rhetorical argument fails miserably by finding the one out of maybe half a dozen white folks I've ever met who has watched BET. (ETA: I'm assuming you are white, too, I don't think you mentioned. Apologies for these assumptions.) These are tough conversations and there aren't any shortcuts. Thanks for hearing me out and engaging respectfully. I really really appreciate it.
Yes I am white no need to apologize for the assumption :flower1:

I agree it has been respectful.

You found two and if you count my family, you found 4. We watch it all the time, In Living Color is a go to show in our family.

Their not really tough conversations to have.

Pete hires people qualified who mesh well with the team - period.

A separate forum is unnecessary. If you are uninterested in a thread, please look at one of the other on the forum. There's plenty to check out! :)

Their not really tough conversations to have.

Pete hires people qualified who mesh well with the team - period.

Pete, John, and Corey select the individual who is best suited to the position available based on their skill level, experience, etc. People are not hired to be on the podcast. Instead they are taken on like any other company based on need. Sometimes they appear on air and sometimes they don't.

People are not hired to be on the podcast. Instead they are taken on like any other company based on need. Sometimes they appear on air and sometimes they don't.
That's actually a good thing to keep in mind. Thank you for providing some clarification on the "not just hired to be on podcast" aspect.

Actually maybe a forum called DISversity is not a bad idea. This board has 37(or whatever) forums for every other sub group of visitors from solos, to YA to gays. Some people seem to think Disney IS experienced different for people of color. What do I know?

Perhaps a forum where anyone could discuss specific cuisines, experiences, customs, etc might appease the lack of coverage of chicken waffles that keeps getting mistaken for racism.

Last edited:
As the original poster I did not mean to offend anyone. I in no way believe anyone on the show, to my knowledge has racist beliefs. I had just never seen anyone of color and was curious. CampbellzSoup said he was on but I must have missed that episode. I don't think the show needs a quota or the black neighbor who stops by for tea. I have always thought of the show as very open and welcoming. I just think sometimes it may miss diverse opportunities. Just because there is no one on the show of color doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. I do, and will continue to enjoy every episode.
It is nice to have a civil conversation about racial diversity without anger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter