A Lame Luggage Question

Gandalfsbeard

Earning My Ears
I need to replace my old large luggage with new lighter luggage for our trip. With new checked bag regulations of about $25 per checked bag for one way trip. I am forced to upgrade.. I knew this when planning the trip. The old " Name Brand" held up well just thinking of buying a less expensive brand. Any suggestions from more experienced travelers. PS It is really going to be difficult for DW to keep the bags under 50LBs.. her purse is close to that now!

I'm going to move this to the transportation board. You may get your answer there.

I just bought a new suitcase at Gordman's yesterday for $55.99 after a 20% coupon. I was looking for one with 4 wheels and lightweight and it fit the bill. Oh and it had to be under 61 inches total and this one is 58.5 after it's expanded. If you have a Gordman's check them out. I 3 suitcases there last year and they have held up well.

I really like ebags.com for luggage purchases. Their prices are good, shipping is fast and there are lots of customer reviews of the bags. So that's a good place to look for deals.

My favorite luxury bag is a Victorinox - but pricey at over $200 for a wheeled carry-on. I bought it strictly for business trips and it's a great bag. It's 5 years old and still going strong, although I don't travel 20 weeks a year or anything.

Other bags we have that have been great are from Lands' End. I have some 25 year old soft-sided Lands' End luggage that is still functional.

My 14 year old awesome Samsonite locker suitcase just died on me while packing for our trip. I went to Kohls. they had some great sales! I got a beautiful new suitcase (measurements bring it to 60 inches) for $101 after sale and a 15% off coupon.

My old Samsonite weight 18 lbs empty, the new one weighs 11 and is just as strong and sturdy!

by SW baggage handlers, I don't go for expensive when flying. Target carries Eddie Bauer rolling duffles that are light-weight and roomy. They're made by Airways so a decent brand. I got a 26" with a bonus 20" carry-on for $29.97. This is my second set and the first has survived 3 years of vacations without a scratch or tear. I see no reason to spend more with the good luck I've had.

I had good luck with ebags.com also. They had plenty of choices. I ended with a Samsonite grouping made with more durable fabric than competitors' cases. They were on wheels, and their wheel systems were rated to last much better than cheap competitors' cases. I got a make-up sized shoulder case, a 29" with 4 wheels, and (I really love this one) a 22" on 4 wheels that fits carry-on. They were not expensive, but I love the quality and versatility.

I am not sure what brand you are referring to and your reasons for moving on to a cheaper brand, but I would suggest that instead of focusing on the cost, focus on things like better quality, greater durability, and most importantly a comprehensive warranty. Some of the brands that offer solid warranties on their products are:

Briggs & Riley (http://www.briggs-riley.com/) – “Simple as that” unconditional lifetime warranty on every piece of luggage

TravelPro (http://www.travelpro.com/index.cfm) – “Worry Free Warranty” on Platinum 5 & Platinum 6 collections.

Victorinox Swiss Army (http://www.victorinox.com/) – “Carry With Confidence Guarantee” on a few product lines including Mobilizer NXT 3.0 & Werks Traveler 2.0.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter