A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. While looking for Gasparilla/Sandy Cove drawings, I noticed on wdwmagic the valet parking fees will go up by $3 to $15/day! Yikes.

Not at all!:hug: I really wasn't implying you should have used edit - just that I often edit myself. I'm obsessive about proofreading and still find typos in my post.:laughing:

This was my thought exactly. Up here, the layer prior to concrete is usually gravel, but if there is a pool liner rather than concrete bottom they use graded sand.

Maybe I'm not seeing the actual material accurately, and the stuff I think is sand is really dirt? Hard to tell from the photos, for me. As you say, maybe someone who is familiar with Florida pool structure can pop in with some input.:goodvibes

It looked like dirt to me a couple weeks ago unless they put sand over it after I was there?

Very interested to see how everything turns out, for better or worse! :thumbsup2 Still wishing for the quiet pool at the villas...

k&a&c'smom said:
Wow. While looking for Gasparilla/Sandy Cove drawings, I noticed on wdwmagic the valet parking fees will go up by $3 to $15/day! Yikes.

I keep telling you the walk to self-park isn't so bad!

It looked like dirt to me a couple weeks ago unless they put sand over it after I was there?

Very interested to see how everything turns out, for better or worse! :thumbsup2 Still wishing for the quiet pool at the villas...

Thanks, if you saw dirt while there I'm sure that is what is still there.:flower3: I sometimes have trouble discerning small detail in photos, my eyes aren't what they used to be.;)

We can't wait to see the finished product.

I keep telling you the walk to self-park isn't so bad!

:laughing: I'm starting to see your point.:teeth:

The Boardwalk is about $250 less than the GF but of course no monorail, fireworks, water parade...

Thanks for any help!

Sorry for being late to reply to this request - thank you Sandy : )

We recently went to Disney for a long weekend and stayed at the BWI because we could not get a Royal Palm Club Magic Kingdom view room for our dates. While the BWI was very nice as far as the room (Boardwalk view), staff, concierge lounge and location (love the walk to Epcot) it just did not provide the same sense of 'ahhh :cloud9: ' that I feel at the Grand Floridian.

It is the items you mentioned - monorail, fireworks and water parade - that are part of the Grand Floridian vacation feeling that makes me smile.

Good luck with your choice.

...It is the items you mentioned - monorail, fireworks and water parade - that are part of the Grand Floridian vacation feeling that makes me smile...

Speaking of the monorail, during our 8 days at the Grand, we rode the monorail multiple times daily, and it was always smooth sailing...not one single incident of delay or breakdown, as has been the case for the last couple of years. In fact, when we left MNSSHP on Thursday at 11:30-ish, the line was so long that we had to wait for the fourth monorail before we could board. We only waited 10 minutes! They were running constantly and without issue - it was great and we were back at our room in less than 25 minutes.

While the launch would have been more direct, the line was super-long and would've most certainly taken longer...so, GOOD NEWS MONORAIL DEVOTEES!!

:sunny:

phyllis, thanks for the update on the monorail operations, good to hear.:thumbsup2

BCV23 is currently in the World and sent me these photos of the artist renderings of Gasparillas and Sandy Cove!:goodvibes: Enjoy!

Gasparillas
photo2.jpg

Sandy Cove
photo3.jpg

Hi Everyone, we are finally got. Got stranded at the GF due to Sandy and were forced to stay until last night. Vacation was wonderful, I will post more details, however, I came home to complete destruction of the first floor - the ocean was 3-4 feet deep inside and the first floor is history, waiting on engineer to determine if there is structural damage and what the extent is.

Tom

Hi Everyone, we are finally got. Got stranded at the GF due to Sandy and were forced to stay until last night. Vacation was wonderful, I will post more details, however, I came home to complete destruction of the first floor - the ocean was 3-4 feet deep inside and the first floor is history, waiting on engineer to determine if there is structural damage and what the extent is.

Tom

So very sorry Tom...what a way to come home from a Grand vacation :sad1:

Tom

Sorry to hear that. :(

KonaKaiTom said:

Tom

Tom- so sorry, I thought you were in the middle of the state and not in harms way. That must have been so difficult to be away with only pics to show what was going on.

On a lighter note, I happy your trip was Grand.

So sorry to hear that ,we live in New Jersey but we were lucky not to have much damage where we are but the shore area was destroyed! I can't believe what I have been seeing on the news!!!!:sad2:

Best wishes to you and your family!!!!!!!

Well, I just got off the phone with Disney and the CM confirmed my fears that all GV rooms are booked for August 7-12, 2013.:headache:

She said a lot of people book this far out to make monthly payments? Hopefully, someone will cancel because it is an additional $57 per night in a LV. We usually book in January, but we may have to book earlier this year. Can anyone guess the likelihood of a cancelation?

So very sorry for your loss, Tom, what a nightmare!:hug: I hope the rest of our East coast posters fared better. Take good care, we'll be thinking of you.

BTW - glad your vacation was good, anyway.

Well, I just got off the phone with Disney and the CM confirmed my fears that all GV rooms are booked for August 7-12, 2013.:headache:

She said a lot of people book this far out to make monthly payments? Hopefully, someone will cancel because it is an additional $57 per night in a LV. We usually book in January, but we may have to book earlier this year. Can anyone guess the likelihood of a cancelation?

I wouldn't worry too much - the CMs in reservations can only tell that the rooms are not in inventory, not whether they were "booked" or blocked for convention, TAs, etc. Don't give up, you will likely be able to get a garden view room in the next few months, if that is what you still desire. Keep checking.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter