A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! :goodvibes I was focusing on Mizner's and not paying that much attention to what was added at M. Merc. You are absolutely right! Well, there's another issue solved. Since M. Merc closes at 10 and a lot of times we don't get back to the room in time to make that, DH will just have to buy a few when we get there and put them in the refrigerator in the room for his nightly WDW post-park wind down.

Don't forget that you can also get beer and wine at the Hess Station, which is a quick walk from Downtown Disney -- Ask me how I know?:stir:

ktlm - I wouldn't give up all hope yet for the waffles or pancakes, though it does seem to be unlikely. I certainly understand, my middle child would only eat chicken strips and pizza whenever we were in the World - and that lasted into his teens!:headache:

We have hit the refurbs often, too. We were there for the 2007 room renovations, which booted us out of the main bldg. mid-trip. Again in 2010 for the outside maintenance, with lifts and canvas tunnels near the back entrance. Again in late summer 2010 for the marble and carpet replacement in the main bldg.:laughing: Our recent stay, with the DVC construction. Oh, well, we managed to enjoy ourselves.:goodvibes

Don't forget that you can also get beer and wine at the Hess Station, which is a quick walk from Downtown Disney -- Ask me how I know?:stir:

Good point! I had been trying to remember tips I've read from those who stay in the MK area. The Hess station at the MK gates is too far for a walk, the one near the BWI is a bit of a hassle (getting to BWI from MK area, then walking over to Hess, then return). I had forgotten the one across from the DTD Marketplace entrance!:thumbsup2

We have had a rental car lately, but need a plan for the next time we are without one.:)

I wanted to post a few pictures I took last night.

Gaspirillas is closed. Here's the proof!

774dfbb60a4936ad336ed53709b7414a_zps153ad568.jpg

I took a picture of Mitzner's setup. Sorry it is a bit blurry, I am going to take a another one. Just for perspective I took the picture from in front of a counter with coffee urns set up.

09459379cd3f37b8aca2023bdd2f9a88_zps614da084.jpg

A couple of pictures from around the courtyard pool.

340ccb39ad3832dc9292d914e73f930a_zpsb978fb2b.jpg

31757bdd3aaf1694848fcd6d58eba367_zps151ec689.jpg

The water play area still isn't open. The were digging the grass up around the entrance last night. No clue what they are doing.

We are going to Narcoossees tonight. I will run up to MMercantile and confirm they have beer and what type!

Thanks JungleCruiser! A real-time report. Touring Plans tweeted today that the Alice water play area opened. I hope the guests are enjoying it today. Enjoy Narc's, I love that restaurant.

Hello everyone we have been there a few times when they have been fixing something or other, I'm just so happy to be there. I try not to let it bother me
and just make the best of it!!
After all it still is the Happiest place on earth, isn't it?

I'm still happy to be there even with all the construction.Looking forward to being there in November even if it will be a little different even though I'm not good with change :scared:

Hello everyone we have been there a few times when they have been fixing something or other, I'm just so happy to be there. I try not to let it bother me
and just make the best of it!!
After all it still is the Happiest place on earth, isn't it?

I'm still happy to be there even with all the construction.Looking forward to being there in November even if it will be a little different even though I'm not good with change :scared:

Actually Disneyland is the Happiest place on Earth and MK is the most magical place on earth....according to Disney. Their both awesome, right?

Hi,everyone. We are at the GF right now and it is lovely. We are staying in a RPC TPV room. Everyone is having a fabulous time, but the construction is definitely having its impact. To wit:

1. The courtyard pool is closed. We have heard from CMs that they are not only converting it to zero entry but actually making it shallower. The feature pool is open, but has no view of the beach. This is because there is no beach. Right now, it is a construction roadway and a reinforced sea wall. Several members of the recreation department confirmed that no additional pools will be added to handle additional guests from DVC.

2. The children's Alice in Wonderland water play area is nearly ready. The expectation is that it will open this week, pending approval from the building department.

3. Gasparilla's is closed. We like their food anddon't like the options at the beach bar or Mizner's. Additionally, dining at the beach bar means dining outdoors. Not sure what this means when it rains. The selection at Mizner's transcends limited.

4. Sandy Cove is closed through November. We had to go to Walgreen's for some basic toiletries and aspirin. Some of the items are available in the upstairs gift shop.

5. Monorail service has been fine. No problems at all.

We will post photos when we return home. Now, I am going for a swim.

Shallower pool? I really loved the courtyard pool as it was. I don't have kids, atleast not yet, but I guess this would be a good thing if I did. Looking forward to seeing the new splash area. It sure would be nice for the resort to add a true quiet pool - maybe the villas will get one but just not in this phase of construction.

Am I correct from the pictures I saw that Mizner's is no longer functioning as a lounge at all? I have a dinner scheduled next month at Narcoossee's and planned on giving Mizner's another try for a predinner drink, maybe we'll try the bar area at Citricos or Narcoossee's instead.

Thanks for reporting in, can't wait to see your pictures!

Had a wonderful dinner at Narcoossees tonight! :goodvibes Yes, the water play area is opened. So cute! My daughter took a picture, so I will get it From her tomorrow and post then. It looks to be about 3 inches deep. The big hat has a pipe above it pouring water in. When the hat fills, it tips over and spills water everywhere! And, I was impressed to see they have posted a lifeguard to watch the play area. There are lounge chairs (with cushioned pads) all around the play area for people to sit and watch their kids.

I went up to M Mercantile and they do sell single bottles of beer.

2fbf126f691428afbadf8b2c9da4821e_zps0ec1c2e9.jpg

I also saw that they had cases of small small Dasani water bottles for sale.

Had a wonderful dinner at Narcoossees tonight! :goodvibes Yes, the water play area is opened. So cute! My daughter took a picture, so I will get it From her tomorrow and post then. It looks to be about 3 inches deep. The big hat has a pipe above it pouring water in. When the hat fills, it tips over and spills water everywhere! And, I was impressed to see they have posted a lifeguard to watch the play area. There are lounge chairs (with cushioned pads) all around the play area for people to sit and watch their kids.

I went up to M Mercantile and they do sell single bottles of beer.

2fbf126f691428afbadf8b2c9da4821e_zps0ec1c2e9.jpg

I also saw that they had cases of small small Dasani water bottles for sale.

I'm so excited about the water play area being open! I can't wait to see your picture. Thanks for your update, you're making me so excited about our upcoming stay!:cool1:

Can't wait to see all the pictures from the GF renovations.

K&a&c'smon and KonaKaiTom - I know what it is like with a back injury. I too was in a car accident (Tom, on I-91 in Hartford in front of the Colt Building) 3 weeks after my father passed away (26 years ago now). My back still gives me problems and I can understand the pain with a back injury. I hope you both stay well.

When we were at the Grand in July, my kids didn't care either about the construction. They were happy just to be there. Me too!!!

Can't wait to see all the pictures from the GF renovations.

K&a&c'smon and KonaKaiTom - I know what it is like with a back injury. I too was in a car accident (Tom, on I-91 in Hartford in front of the Colt Building) 3 weeks after my father passed away (26 years ago now). My back still gives me problems and I can understand the pain with a back injury. I hope you both stay well.

When we were at the Grand in July, my kids didn't care either about the construction. They were happy just to be there. Me too!!!

Thanks for the good thoughts -- highways in Connecticut ALWAYS are congested horribly!

Tom

Hi All! I will be at the GF this weekend and next week for work. I have never stayed there and am not familiar with the property at all. I have looked at many of the pics and maps and other items posted in this thread ... but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. So I'm just going to ask my questions ... I greatly appreciate input from anyone who cares to respond with information or direct me to a specific existing post or resource ... as opposed to just telling me to read the thread :blush:

On one of the evenings, friends who live in the area but aren't staying at the GF with me will be coming to the resort to meet me before we go out for the night. They are not familiar with the GF either. What would be the most convenient place to meet them other than just waiting in the lobby. We were thinking more of meeting in the 'lobby bar' for a drink before heading out. But it looks like it may not be as simple as that. Is there a main 'lobby bar' or one that is easy to get to?

Will they be able to park at the GF if not a registered guest? I'm staying at the resort but will not have a vehicle. If needed, can I obtain a parking pass for them?

THANKS!!!!!
Elaine

Jungle Cruiser - thanks for the updates and photos!! Glad you had a great meal at Narcoossee's last night. I hope the rest of your vacation continues to be magical.:hug:

MommyGina - Sorry to hear about your car accident. My DH had a small one while in HS, and has had back problems since he was rear ended at low speed. Can't imagine being in a highway accident, or one in traffic.:hug: Thanks for the well wishes, I'm doing pretty well this week, I hope Tom is as well.:goodvibes

Hi All! I will be at the GF this weekend and next week for work. I have never stayed there and am not familiar with the property at all. I have looked at many of the pics and maps and other items posted in this thread ... but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. So I'm just going to ask my questions ... I greatly appreciate input from anyone who cares to respond with information or direct me to a specific existing post or resource ... as opposed to just telling me to read the thread :blush:

On one of the evenings, friends who live in the area but aren't staying at the GF with me will be coming to the resort to meet me before we go out for the night. They are not familiar with the GF either. What would be the most convenient place to meet them other than just waiting in the lobby. We were thinking more of meeting in the 'lobby bar' for a drink before heading out. But it looks like it may not be as simple as that. Is there a main 'lobby bar' or one that is easy to get to?

Will they be able to park at the GF if not a registered guest? I'm staying at the resort but will not have a vehicle. If needed, can I obtain a parking pass for them?

THANKS!!!!!
Elaine

Welcome!!:cheer2: Glad you've joined us, how wonderful to have a work event at the Grand.:cloud9:

You are more than welcome to ask any question you need, we would never tell a poster to just "read the thread"!:eek: Very rude, it's a long thread and can be difficult to find the exact info you desire.

Yes, your friends can park in the self park, or pay for valet ($12/day) even though they are not guests. Just tell the guard shack they are meeting a guest - they may ask which one/room number, or they may not. FYI, the self park is across Floridian Way, a bit of a walk from the entrance. Here is an aerial view so you can see the distance - scroll to the left to see the smaller grey parking lot, vs. the large black valet lot in front of the resort: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5219444

There is a lobby lounge, called Mizner's, but it is currently retooled to serve as a quick service meal area rather than bar/lounge during the refurb to Gasparilla's Grill & Games. Sorry; they are expanding Gasparilla's and it is closed at present. Your best bet is to check out the bar at Citricos or Narcoossee's - or you might consider meeting elsewhere, maybe another MK area resort.

HTH! If you have any further questions, speak up! Someone here will be happy to answer, it's why we are all here.:grouphug:

ETA: here are a couple of lobby photos. If you do meet at the GF, the lobby is a wonderful place to meet - there is a pianist and orchestra who alternate every hour or so in the evenings, starting at 3:00 p.m.
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

Thank you k&a&c'smom!!!!! Very helpful information. And WOW the public parking really is far away! I'm guessing it might be well worth the $12 to valet park.

And thanks for the warm welcome. I was hesitant to post what I thought might be dumb question ... some boards aren't so friendly ... but this was wonderful. I'm trying to read through the thread, because i'm sure its full of useful information ... but at 80+ pages its a lot to take in.

I've only stayed at Disney twice and both times have been in Value resorts so this will be a special treat for me. Though sadly my kids won't be able to enjoy it with me since this is a work trip.

If I called the resort today would they be able to tell me what room or general area I'll be in (my check in is on Saturday) ... I hate to just 'pester' them, but I'd really like to look it up on the map and just have a general idea.

Are there any super fun 'free' or inexpensive things that I should try not to miss while at the resort. I definitely plan to check out the grounds and watch fireworks, etc. but didn't know if there were boat rides or anything 'special' I should check into.

Thanks!
E

Thank you k&a&c'smom!!!!! Very helpful information. And WOW the public parking really is far away! I'm guessing it might be well worth the $12 to valet park.

And thanks for the warm welcome. I was hesitant to post what I thought might be dumb question ... some boards aren't so friendly ... but this was wonderful. I'm trying to read through the thread, because i'm sure its full of useful information ... but at 80+ pages its a lot to take in.

I've only stayed at Disney twice and both times have been in Value resorts so this will be a special treat for me. Though sadly my kids won't be able to enjoy it with me since this is a work trip.

If I called the resort today would they be able to tell me what room or general area I'll be in (my check in is on Saturday) ... I hate to just 'pester' them, but I'd really like to look it up on the map and just have a general idea.

Are there any super fun 'free' or inexpensive things that I should try not to miss while at the resort. I definitely plan to check out the grounds and watch fireworks, etc. but didn't know if there were boat rides or anything 'special' I should check into.

Thanks!
E

I know people often say "there are no dumb questions" but there really aren't when heading to a new resort. Lots of info, and you are so close to your trip, it would be very hard to wade through all the pages of this and past threads to find everything.:flower3:

If you look at my post again, you'll see I added some photos of the lobby (I tend to edit myself a lot, lol). As I mentioned, one of the best free things at the GF is the music in the evenings. Most of the Grand veterans love to sit in the lobby and take in the surroundings while listening to the band or pianist.

We love strolling the grounds, or sitting in a shady spot and listening to the train at the MK while looking at the Castle.:lovestruc You can hop the monorail and check out the Contemporary or Polynesian, take a boat over to the Poly for b'fast, lunch or dinner, or shopping. You can boat over to the MK, transfer to a Wilderness Lodge boat and check out the walking trails there and at Ft. Wilderness. It is a beautiful resort as well.

One of our favorite things to do is hang out at the pool, but of course, you will be there while the courtyard pool is closed for refurb.:( The beach pool is still open, but it is smaller and may be over crowded, they are allowing GF guests to hop over to the Poly pools during the construction.

Hopefully, others will chime in with their favorite free activities. We absolutely love the ambiance at the Grand, so almost anything we do there is peaceful and relaxing.

ETA: oops, I forgot the question about room assignment. The WDW resorts will not give out room info until check in, for security purposes and due to the likelihood your assignment could be changed at any time until you occupy the room. There could be maintenance issues, or they have to close a room due to noise from construction, previous guests extend their stay, etc.

Cali-D - so good to see you, as always!!:goodvibes I know what you mean about the pool, we will be so disappointed if they make it shallower. I was expecting it after reading they had made the Poly quiet pool shallower during the last refurb over there. Seems to be a trend at resort pools, the Universal pools are more wading pools than swimming, some of them only come up to my waist and I'm short!:headache: DD and I joked we were in the "deep circle" rather than the "deep end" at the Hard Rock pool.:laughing:

We overlooked the courtyard pool from our Boca Chica balcony last month and mused it would be the last time we would see it. We assume they will change everything, even the shape, which I find so lovely. Here are some of our last photos of it:

IMG_1044_zps79a7c67b.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsd9130957.jpg

thanks for the pics everyone!! :thumbsup2

5 weeks from today we will be there!!

Gosh I miss our second home.. ::yes::

Cali-D - so good to see you, as always!!:goodvibes I know what you mean about the pool, we will be so disappointed if they make it shallower. I was expecting it after reading they had made the Poly quiet pool shallower during the last refurb over there. Seems to be a trend at resort pools, the Universal pools are more wading pools than swimming, some of them only come up to my waist and I'm short!:headache: DD and I joked we were in the "deep circle" rather than the "deep end" at the Hard Rock pool.:laughing:

We overlooked the courtyard pool from our Boca Chica balcony last month and mused it would be the last time we would see it. We assume they will change everything, even the shape, which I find so lovely. Here are some of our last photos of it:

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/kacsmom2010/GF/Pools/IMG_1044_zps79a7c67b.jpg[/

[IMG]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/kacsmom2010/GF/Pools/IMG_1055_zpsd9130957.jpg

Love the pics... If only I could jump in..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter