A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pigletto - Sorry, I missed responding to your post!:blush: Welcome.:goodvibes How sweet about your DD's friend, I'm sure she will be in love with the GF.

Sounds like you got a great deal!:thumbsup2

MommyGina - woohoo, only 10 more days.:cool1::cool1:

CoachBagFanatic - thanks for the photos, they look great to me. I'm impressed with the construction near the beach, I didn't realize they were utilizing all that land for the beach pool expansion. I'm happier about the whole project now, I was worried about having the same two pools for the GF AND GFV. One of our favorite parts of the resort is the uncrowded pools.

Again, best wishes for your friend, I know how hard it is to deal with such a daunting diagnosis.:hug:

Jungle Cruiser - Good to see you, how are you feeling?:hug:

I agree, the work is progressing quicker than I expected from what we saw in May.:thumbsup2

Didn't know if this has been mentioned and was wondering if anyone knew more info - I read on another board that the quick service place at GF would be closing for refurb towards the end of august through december. This obviously affects us....as eating will be pretty difficult if that's the only QS option!!

I have the same concern as we will be there the last week of October. I have told myself that they couldn't possible closing it entirely. There would have to be some other QS option. Don't you think?

I am reaching out to the GF experts for some suggestions on how to celebrate my son's 5th birthday.

We will be staying at GF the last week of October. It will be me, my husband and sons (age 5 & almost 3). This will be their first trip to The World and we are so excited to stay at GF (despite some construction concerns).

The end of October is full of celebrations for us - husband's birthday, son's birthday and wedding anniversary. My primary concern is my son's birthday. While some would say, geez, you're going to Disney. What more does he need? I want to make sure that he feels like it's still HIS special day.

On his birthday, I have made a lunch ADR at CRT and a dinner ADR at The Wave. I've been trolling the Disney Cake Chatter Thread but am not really finding answers. Here are my questions:

1. I see that there is a "Princess Package" for CRT, but I can't seem to find out if there is a boys equivalent.

2. I was going to order balloons for the room from Disney Florist. Any other suggestions?

3. Should I order a cake and from where? I'm wondering if I should order a cake delivered to our room and have a little celebration there, as opposed to having something at one of the restaurants. We are going to be on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Needless to say, it's going to be dessert overload that day.

Since this is our first time with kids and first time at GF, I don't want to feel I missed an obvious way to celebrate. We chose GF because of the entire feel of the resort as well as the proximity to MK. Also, we like the little extras of a Deluxe Resort and enjoy spending time their - I'm sure I don't need to explain this to you all!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

michashell - Welcome!:goodvibes How fun that you will have so many celebrations while at the World, very festive.

I don't know anything about the celebration packages, but I'm sure there are boy themes. I know Disney Florist has boy theming - Mickey, pirates, etc.

If you order a cake, I would order from the GF bakery, they do such wonderful cakes that many posters staying at other resorts have tried to find a way to get one! (they only deliver within the resort - guest room or GF restaurant) If you want it in a CR restaurant, you will have to go through the CR bakery dept. The number should be on the first page of the cake thread.:flower3:

If you would rather do something smaller (due to so much dessert) most of the WDW restaurants will do a smaller cake. At the GF restaurants, you can get a personal 6-inch cake with a cute topper - white chocolate, various shapes (castle, Disney character). I'd check into what is available at one of the restaurants you have booked for the day to see what kind of personal cake you can order, the custom cakes are so big it's hard to justify the expense when you will likely leave most behind. Tough to keep in the room, they won't fit in the fridge (I've tried, lol). Edited to Add: If it were me, I'd notify the restaurants of the birthday, they usually do a cupcake for the kids, I think. Use the cake money for an activity instead - they've gotten so expensive, and with the DxDP, you will have too much dessert.

For ideas for special activities - you can book a fireworks cruise. We have done this a couple of times, and it is fun and exciting for kids. They will even do a birthday celebration package - you may be able to have the cake on board, depending on the boat. We participated in a celebration on the Grand 1 (very expensive, yikes! I don't recommend it these days, the price has gone out of sight) and were able to have a cake and drinks on board.

You could book the kids on the Pirate Cruise for that day, and let the CMs know it is your son't big day. Not sure what they would do, but I imagine the CMs would at least make it special by announcing the birthday boy.pirate: Edited to Add: oops! Just realized the littlest one is too young for the pirate cruise - the age requirement is 4-12, sorry.:blush:

HTH!:sunny: I'm sure others here have some great ideas!

I am reaching out to the GF experts for some suggestions on how to celebrate my son's 5th birthday.

We will be staying at GF the last week of October. It will be me, my husband and sons (age 5 & almost 3). This will be their first trip to The World and we are so excited to stay at GF (despite some construction concerns).

The end of October is full of celebrations for us - husband's birthday, son's birthday and wedding anniversary. My primary concern is my son's birthday. While some would say, geez, you're going to Disney. What more does he need? I want to make sure that he feels like it's still HIS special day.

On his birthday, I have made a lunch ADR at CRT and a dinner ADR at The Wave. I've been trolling the Disney Cake Chatter Thread but am not really finding answers. Here are my questions:

1. I see that there is a "Princess Package" for CRT, but I can't seem to find out if there is a boys equivalent.

2. I was going to order balloons for the room from Disney Florist. Any other suggestions?

3. Should I order a cake and from where? I'm wondering if I should order a cake delivered to our room and have a little celebration there, as opposed to having something at one of the restaurants. We are going to be on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Needless to say, it's going to be dessert overload that day.

Since this is our first time with kids and first time at GF, I don't want to feel I missed an obvious way to celebrate. We chose GF because of the entire feel of the resort as well as the proximity to MK. Also, we like the little extras of a Deluxe Resort and enjoy spending time their - I'm sure I don't need to explain this to you all!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
we celebrated my ds's birthday there when he turned 9.

would your ds enjoy the pirate's league? http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/pirates-league/ we did this with ds a few years ago and it was really cute and well worth the $$. it was more about the whole experience than the actual makeup.

would your ds be more into maybe a character dinner instead of the wave?

i had a shirt custom made for him off of etsy that had his favorite character (pluto) holding birthday balloons with his name and "it's my birthday" on it.

it sounds simple but we let him get one of those expensive mickey balloons on main street. he loved that thing and as a bonus you can uninflate it and bring it home, then reinflate it again at a florist.

maybe you can let him pick which park to go to that day or what the first three rides will be, or something like that.

enjoy your vacation!

coach bag fanatic- thank you so much for posting those pictures. ay yi yi.... i hardly know what to say! :scared:

Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser
I have known I am stage 4 for 5 years, so just don't give up all hope.

I'll start crying again if I write much, so here's another great, big hug:hug:

Well, I am crying! This illness bites!
Love you, my precious friend!!!!! And everyone else who is fighting this!!!!! :hug: :grouphug:

WDWKOOK - :hug:

Lulu'sMom - Good to see you, how was your trip?! I hope you had a great time, and are feeling well.:hug:

pigletto - Sorry, I missed responding to your post!:blush: Welcome.:goodvibes How sweet about your DD's friend, I'm sure she will be in love with the GF.

Sounds like you got a great deal!:thumbsup2

MommyGina - woohoo, only 10 more days.:cool1::cool1:

CoachBagFanatic - thanks for the photos, they look great to me. I'm impressed with the construction near the beach, I didn't realize they were utilizing all that land for the beach pool expansion. I'm happier about the whole project now, I was worried about having the same two pools for the GF AND GFV. One of our favorite parts of the resort is the uncrowded pools.

Again, best wishes for your friend, I know how hard it is to deal with such a daunting diagnosis.:hug:

Jungle Cruiser - Good to see you, how are you feeling?:hug:

I agree, the work is progressing quicker than I expected from what we saw in May.:thumbsup2

The pool will be expanded to include the new splash area but there will not be a separate pool for the villas.

I do think you will see some increase in the pools. However I will expect them to stop DVC members from pool hopping to the Grand after DVC opens, so that will help some.

WDWKOOK - :hug:

Lulu'sMom - Good to see you, how was your trip?! I hope you had a great time, and are feeling well.:hug:

Thanks, kacsmom!:hug: But, I went waaay too soon after surgery and chemo. Got very ill during the trip,(just too much too soon) but mom and my oldest niece did have a very nice time.

Looking forward to healing some more and going back. Hopefully the Poly this fall and hooking up with JC for some tea at the Grand! :hug::goodvibes

The pool will be expanded to include the new splash area but there will not be a separate pool for the villas.

I do think you will see some increase in the pools. However I will expect them to stop DVC members from pool hopping to the Grand after DVC opens, so that will help some.

Good point, I completely forgot about pool hopping for DVC members. I hope you are right, there's really not enough room for hopping. However, it's not like SAB, where everyone wants to swim there (for now!).

I did not see a villas pool in the plans, so I figured the pools will end up more crowded when DVC opens. I am happy to see they are building such a big play area - do you know if the one at BLT is usually full of bathers? I'm hoping that area will add some diversity, and kids will want to hang out there, spreading the crowd out so to speak.;)

Thanks, kacsmom!:hug: But, I went waaay too soon after surgery and chemo. Got very ill during the trip,(just too much too soon) but mom and my oldest niece did have a very nice time.

Looking forward to healing some more and going back. Hopefully the Poly this fall and hooking up with JC for some tea at the Grand! :hug::goodvibes

Oh, no!:worried: That's too bad, I hoped you were having a great trip and feeling good while in the World.:hug: I'm glad your mom and niece had a good time, at least.

Get some rest and give your body a chance to recover. Then, have the best trip ever in September!!:thumbsup2

Good Monday morning everyone :wave2:

Coachbagfanatic, I know I thought about it but I don't think I posted (chemo week for me) that I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I have known I am stage 4 for 5 years, so just don't give up all hope. Whatever journey he takes I hope it is easy for him.

Oh I am going to keep this brief as I am having trouble typing through the tears.

JC you and anyone else (my DDad included cancer free for 3 years now) who has or had to go through this are amazing to me.:hug: I have not given up hope. I have come to a peaceful place with wherever my friends journey takes him. I hope that makes sense. I truly hope that his family will be there for him and to support him as well.

Thank you to both Coachbagfanatic and Beckysko for the pictures. I am impressed at how quickly the construction seems to be moving along. It started out slowly but every set of pictures someone posts they seem farther along!

I thought the same thing about the construction. It looks like they are doing pretty well. From far away the building doesn't look that big until you are on the monorail and see it firsthand. Amazing.

I know people visiting in the next couple of months are concerned about the construction, but I have to say I am pretty impressed that looking at the current pictures, that they have managed to keep the Beach Pool open the whole time!

Me too with the beach pool. As I said before, the GF is doing a really great job at keeping things going and super clean. Boy I miss the GF.

You are very welcome. I thought they were fixing the pool bar but didn't realize it either that they would use all that land as well.

Thanks again. It truly means a lot to me.

coach bag fanatic- thank you so much for posting those pictures. ay yi yi.... i hardly know what to say! :scared:

We decided not to stay at the GF due to the construction but once we visited we wished we did. It really didn't seem to impact much except by the beach pool. Just the noise but once you left the beach pool, hardly anything.

I wish you the best as well. Sending you lots of :hug:

Will (finally) be at the grand in Aug 2013 (WL this Aug). Finances dictate that Main Building and CL are unrealistic. Anybody have a favorite outer lodge? Anybody have picture from inside the lodges (lobby, views, etc)?

PS - The brave women from the prior posts will be in my prayers)

CoachBagFanatic - doesn't that stink, when you finally book after agonizing but when you arrive realize you would rather have your first choice?!:headache: I know you had a great trip, anyway, and I think you are headed to the Grand on your next vacation, right?:hug:

Will (finally) be at the grand in Aug 2013 (WL this Aug). Finances dictate that Main Building and CL are unrealistic. Anybody have a favorite outer lodge? Anybody have picture from inside the lodges (lobby, views, etc)?

PS - The brave women from the prior posts will be in my prayers)

Welcome!:goodvibes Glad you are finally getting the chance to stay at the Grand, you will fall in love with the resort.:cloud9: We love the WL, too, it's a lovely resort with so much to see and do.

Did you check out the first page? There are a lot of photos, and in the "buildings" post (post #12) we have room views and lobby photos. All the outer lobbies look pretty much the same.

My favorite outer lodge bldg. is Conch Key for the proximity to the courtyard pool, boat dock, marina and Gasparilla's. Very centrally located. Boca Chica is a nice choice, too, with very pretty views of the main bldg. Sago Cay is close to the bus stop and Gasparilla's, but a bit removed from the courtyard area - a plus at the moment if you prefer quiet, as the pool games have been relocated to the courtyard, and the nightly movie at the pool.

Big Pine Key is closest to the main building and themed pool, but is currently the closest building to the DVC construction. By the time your trip arrives, this may not be an issue.:thumbsup2

HTH!:flower3:

Hello...

Just returned from 8 days of Sugar Loaf 6209... :cool1:

Had a super time!!!! The construction of the DVC was not a factor... but you can sense it no matter what.. There are basically 3 crane booms sticking up at all times..

We spent July 3 in WDW waiting for fireworks which were awesome, but 1 1/2 hours late... we happen to be standing with a CM who was a SL concierge perosn... Loved hearing the scoop..

Anyway..

Here is what we were told about the Gflo DVC::coffee:
1)Was ahead of schedule and now with weather are just back to on schedule.
2)The current spa may be torn down and incorporated into new building.
3)Point value to stay at Gflo DVC will be close to double. :crazy2:
4)The building is supposed to blend perfectly with current buildings.
5) May 2013 completion

Again... this is just what we were told... don't shoot the messenger.. just thought I would pass it along.

Anyway... we did our bounce back... pixiedust: Gotta get our MNSSHP in at Halloween..

Hello...

Just returned from 8 days of Sugar Loaf 6209... :cool1:

Had a super time!!!! The construction of the DVC was not a factor... but you can sense it no matter what.. There are basically 3 crane booms sticking up at all times..

We spent July 3 in WDW waiting for fireworks which were awesome, but 1 1/2 hours late... we happen to be standing with a CM who was a SL concierge perosn... Loved hearing the scoop..

Anyway..

Here is what we were told about the Gflo DVC::coffee:
1)Was ahead of schedule and now with weather are just back to on schedule.
2)The current spa may be torn down and incorporated into new building.
3)Point value to stay at Gflo DVC will be close to double. :crazy2:
4)The building is supposed to blend perfectly with current buildings.
5) May 2013 completion

Again... this is just what we were told... don't shoot the messenger.. just thought I would pass it along.

Anyway... we did our bounce back... pixiedust: Gotta get our MNSSHP in at Halloween..

Glad you had a nice time. I think you said perfectly what many of us who have been there during the construction felt. Unless you are overlooking the construction you don't really notice it, "but you can sense it no matter what".

Thank you for the updates. What you reported is in line with what others have been saying. I think it will be lovely when it is finished, it makes sense for them to use the land on the lagoon, it is just sad to see the sandy beaches go!

The weather has broken in the northeast. Only in the 80's and low humidity this week! :cool1:

So I have been MIA for a few days due to work, appts, etc.....

coachbagfanatic, junglecruiser, k&a&c'smom, lulu'smom:grouphug:

May 2013 for completion...that would be nice....:goodvibes

pas130 - :wave2:

Jungle Cruiser - I agree, it is sad to see the beaches go - but does make sense for the DVC building to be there.

HFC1969 - Welcome back!:goodvibes Thanks for the update, I'm sure everyone with 2013 plans are feeling more optimistic now. Interesting about the spa, I hadn't heard that before.

Glad you had a great trip!

Jungle Cruiser and Lulu's Mom - you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter