1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommyGina

MommyGina DIS Veteran

Interesting concerning the walls around the beach. I emailed the IPO and asked if the walls would be down when we arrive on July 16. The following was their response.

"Due to the construction of The Villas at The Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the walls near the beach and the beach pool will still be up during your stay in July.

At this time, there is no timetable as to when the walls will come down.

Our Best Regards,
    Concierge Itinerary Planning Office
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa"

I sure hope the IPO is wrong!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. BayGirl22

BayGirl22 DIS Veteran

Yes. The sofa next to the sliding doors was a daybed. We used the daybed and a pack n play for a couple nights and still had floor space. The space between the far bed and the sliding doors was wide enough to fit the pack n play.

4. psac

psac DIS Veteran

Maybe since ALL walls aren't down, they don't want to give the impression that you wouldn't see any walls, as opposed to there being some area that is open...?

5. BayGirl22

BayGirl22 DIS Veteran

True. The statement from Disney is correct, there are still walls up on the beach. If you go expecting a fully open beach with no walls you will see walls. They aren't clear that there is still a portion of beach open. But perhaps the walls could move subject to construction needs, so they don't want to commit.

6. Rhongepooh

Rhongepooh <font color=red>I must ponder this news<br><font c

Well I did online check in and for both my room and my dd and dsl room. I tried to do the room request and the page said they couldn't do the Sago Key request. I don't understand this unless that area will be booked for some type of convention. Oh we'll, maybe I'll get there and ill have been upgraded! I'm not expecting it but a girl can dream! LOL

7. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

:(

8. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

It's new to me :laughing:, but I have friends who say they have received this or something similar for the last couple years.:goodvibes

As others have posted, Sandy Cove has bottles of red and white. I have photos, I'll try to post one today. There are some photos on the first page of this thread of the old Sandy Cove, to give you an idea of what will be available. :flower3:

Welcome back! Thanks for the review and photos, I love the varied room layouts at the GF. So interesting. Your room sounds wonderful and I love the extra room - you are correct, the table area is not in most of the standard rooms.

Thanks, too, for the updated photo of the beach area. Sorry for the impression there is no beach left - there are some photos on the first page of the abbreviated beach area, but with all of us "old timers" lamenting the loss of the beach, I'm sure it did sound as though it is all blocked off.:blush:

Yay for online check in, you must be very close!:cool1::cool1: I have read some guests have been offered one or two buildings for request during online check in, I've never been clear as to why only those specific buildings come up. I think one or two have said they were offered Boca and Big Pine, not sure if this is always the case.:confused: For what it is worth, they were able to request another building at check in.

9. cgulls

cgulls Mouseketeer

remember you can take the water taxi to (2 stops) and from (1 stop) the Magic Kingdom. The dock is a super short walk from Conch Key and Boca Chica.

10. cgulls

cgulls Mouseketeer

If you want to go a little nutty, you could arrange something with Disney Florist and Gifts. We used them for my wife's birthday. They set up some really fun room decorations, an personally autographed photo of Mickey and Minnie, a singing balloon and more. I'm pretty sure they had anniversary celebration packages, too.

11. cgulls

cgulls Mouseketeer

Great pics! When were you there? For sure, this beach was closed off last month. That must mean it's open again!!! Did you notice where the blue walls were set up?

12. BayGirl22

BayGirl22 DIS Veteran

I was there the week of May 12th, so the week before last. The picture above I took standing behind the Mad Hatter splash pad. The blue wall was just to my right, so the wall is behind the Beach pool and the beach pool bar. To the left of the picture is a paved patio area between the splash pad and the buildings. There was a clear open view of the beach from that paved area and from the chairs around the splash pad.

OK, so I'm not imagining that I read the beach was entirely blocked off at one point! I was happy my DS had enough space to run and play in the sand, I wasn't expecting that.

13. cgulls

cgulls Mouseketeer

BAYGIRL, you're not imagining it. In April, that beach area you're describing (and photographed) was walled off all the way up to the back of Big Pine Key. This progress!

14. BayGirl22

BayGirl22 DIS Veteran

:) Glad to see progress!

I really felt like any work was limited to the right of where I was standing in that picture. Everything in the actual resort was complete. If I had never walked beyond Big Pine I would not have seen any blue walls.

15. Elinor Dashwood

Elinor Dashwood DIS Veteran

Forgive me if this has already been answered but when is the DVC construction due to finish? I really want to stay at the GF in January but the walls around everything make me apprehensive lol.

16. Cindy's Mom

Cindy's Mom DIS Veteran

Does anyone have pictures of these walls around the beach....I'm starting to freak out.

17. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

cgulls - thanks for the reminder! I was thinking of our visit last May, when the beach looked like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

instead of when we were back again in August and it looked like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were there the last week of this past April, but didn't take any photos of that area, but remember someone (you?) posting some from the BPK staircase.

Sorry for the confusion, Baygirl!!

The VGF went on sale last week, with a projected opening date of October 23, 2013.:thumbsup2

See above.;) No need to freak out, the resort is still very pretty and the construction didn't affect our stay much at all last month.

18. BayGirl22

BayGirl22 DIS Veteran

Totally agree. I probably would not have even noticed it much if I weren't such a uber-planner hanging out on the DIS. I bet if I asked DH how the construction affected our trip he'd say "what construction, I thought that was down the street". I'm sure by the time you are there in Jan it will look great, but even now I wouldn't have changed my plans at all.

19. Tink rules

Tink rules <font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t

DVC is due to be open and operating according to what we've heard by October of this year...

Probably a convention... That's where they usually stay because it's closer to the convention center...

And later.. if they start the planned refurbs... they will close off a building at a time.

20. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

sotoalf - if you are reading: Sorry, I forgot about your question regarding Mizner's photos after Gasparilla's reopened. (for anyone who doesn't know, Mizner's lounge was turned into a quick serve location during the Gasparilla's refurb) I checked it out on my trip last month, it looks exactly the same as it always has - but I took a couple photos anyway, if you want to see them.:)

21. Tink rules

Tink rules <font color=teal>The kids in my family sometimes t

Who us??? Want to see pictures????? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yes.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.