A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jd99 Love the TR and the blog. Boy, I am so sorry that you had to experience the CL pigs. The stroller would have taken the cake for me.:scared1: Unfortunately, we are going to find these types of people every where.

pas130 Please keep us posted about your little princess. Sending more hugs your way today.:hug:

Jungle Cruiser I think you finally hit the nail on the head with me. Virtual and real packing. Like you virtual goes on for months with me. I think it boils down to that I don't want to forget anything and I feel if I do that I won't be able to get it in FL when we get there.:rotfl: Like FL doesn't have the same stores down there as we have here in NJ.:lmao:

I have had my documents and back pack already to go for the plane since last weekend. I also know that I will be checking it again about another 100 times. Man I need help.:laughing: I am a very organized person but I seem to obsess more when we go away.

Coachbagfanatic, it's definitely the "virtual" packing that takes time! And who wants to spend WDW time shopping for something you forget?! :confused3 You must be getting so excited :cool1:

jd99, I saw your blog. Like Coachbagfanatic said, it is a shame you had to experience that in SL, but I suspect on a given day you could see that at any CL.:sad2:

Coachbagfanatic, it's definitely the "virtual" packing that takes time! And who wants to spend WDW time shopping for something you forget?! :confused3 You must be getting so excited :cool1:

jd99, I saw your blog. Like Coachbagfanatic said, it is a shame you had to experience that in SL, but I suspect on a given day you could see that at any CL.:sad2:

Oh I'm sure that it isn't confined to GF Sugarloaf CL. However, this is our 7th or 8th CL stay and these displays were breathtaking in their audacity. As much as beer guy blew me away, I was almost more astounded by the women gathered around the table eating food right out of the platters with their hands. They were obviously well-to-do based on their attire and accessories but still thought it okay to take over the buffet and eat out of trays that others were supposed to be using. I wouldn't do that in my own home so what planet did they come from? :lmao: I can laugh now but at the time I was thinking.....Should I video this and post it to the DIS and Facebook? I didn't want to be embarrassed by pulling out the iphone and doing so. And thinking back all that comes to mind is that *I* didn't want to be embarrassed. :lmao: Oy vey.

Nothing is going to take away my WDW time. OH NO.:sad2:

I think I am beyond excited because I couldn't sleep last night thinking about when we arrive on Monday and heading to DTD to have lunch. Then after lunch deciding whether we went to go to DHS first before heading to SAB or just staying at SAB and relaxing. Considering we will be up at 3:00 am.:eek:

Oh I'm sure that it isn't confined to GF Sugarloaf CL. However, this is our 7th or 8th CL stay and these displays were breathtaking in their audacity. As much as beer guy blew me away, I was almost more astounded by the women gathered around the table eating food right out of the platters with their hands. They were obviously well-to-do based on their attire and accessories but still thought it okay to take over the buffet and eat out of trays that others were supposed to be using. I wouldn't do that in my own home so what planet did they come from? :lmao: I can laugh now but at the time I was thinking.....Should I video this and post it to the DIS and Facebook? I didn't want to be embarrassed by pulling out the iphone and doing so. And thinking back all that comes to mind is that *I* didn't want to be embarrassed. :lmao: Oy vey.

Ah yes, the infamous group of eating directly from the tray ladies. If my DH saw this he would have said excuse me and politely say: You do know that it's not proper etiquette to eat directly from the trays. This is why they have plates and utensils.:rotfl: At that time our DS would be walking away.:rotfl2:

You know sometimes it's experiences like this that give us a giggle later on. Maybe not at the time as you say but it eventually will.

Do you get turn down service in all the rooms or just upon request?

Thanks

Ugh. I read your blog. It brought back memories of the Crab Leg Hoarders at Cape May. My family and I watched with jaws dropped at the eating capacity of these people who obviously decided they were going to get their "money's worth".

Two thoughts came to mind:
1) the Buffet Picker - Beer Swiper Family's attire and accessories or even their presence in the lounge don't necessarily indicate "well-to-do". It merely indicates that they SPEND money. Anybody can spend money.
2) In my years, I have found little to no correlation between income and manners. In fact, if anything, I've found more of entitled behavior among our higher earner friends.

It doesn't make me feel any better but it doesn't surprise me. For sure, if I was standing where you were, DW would have grabbed my sleeve and sternly told me "DON'T say anything. Pleeeease don't say anything." You did well by blogging. Maybe your blog will save one of us from such a fate in the future.

koho-turn down service is for all rooms. I have never had to request this service. It was done automatically and chocolate left on the bed too!:cool1:

Do you get turn down service in all the rooms or just upon request?

Thanks

As MommyGina said turn down service is for all rooms. It feels so luxurious to come back from dinner or the park and find your beds turned down, curtains drawn, chocolates on the pillow and fresh towels. :cloud9:

As MommyGina said turn down service is for all rooms. It feels so luxurious to come back from dinner or the park and find your beds turned down, curtains drawn, chocolates on the pillow and fresh towels. :cloud9:
Ah the chocolates...HRH's favorite part !!!!

pas130 Please keep us posted about your little princess. Sending more hugs your way today.:hug:
I will. Thanks for the hug! I need them :hug:

There was a couple in AKL just like the ladies described in the blog...and a particular lady at YC...they are everywhere...it is what it is.....luckily we had good luck in Sugarloaf...:cloud9:

When we stayed in SL 2 years ago, one family took ALL the chocolate covered strawberries. Nothing was left for the other guests. To make matters worse, that family didn't eat them! They threw them away!!!! So, we didn't get any. That was frustrating. I did mention something to the CMs and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to our room!

When we stayed in SL 2 years ago, one family took ALL the chocolate covered strawberries. Nothing was left for the other guests. To make matters worse, that family didn't eat them! They threw them away!!!! So, we didn't get any. That was frustrating. I did mention something to the CMs and chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to our room!

see, i think the cm's handled that well. i am always interested in people's comments about lounge behavior. i think another solution to the problem is that the lounge cm's (or more accurately, whomever is in charge of these matters) need to make sure that there is enough for guests. yes, it is wrong for guests to gobble up a whole platter, but as guests we should also not be expected to ration it out, either. there should simply be enough provided where we don't have to worry about that, for those prices. honestly, at RPC, i never saw a situation in which the food was not replenished quickly, no matter how fast the guests might have pounced on it. they always made sure to bring out more right away, and they were bringing it out right until the end of the scheduled time. but i do remember at the poly that was not always the case... they seemed to run out in the evenings of the most popular item sometimes in the first hour and then you were just SOL. snack time at the poly was pretty ridiculous, too- we would often pop in from the pool to find most of the items gone and no one around to ask. it's terrible. at the poly i was uncomfortable because i felt like i could sample very little of what there was because otherwise someone else would go without. there's no reason to feel like that on vacation, let alone for what their prices are. just make sure there is an adequate supply in the first place!

<disclaimer: i am not trying to throw poly under the bus, we loved it overall and will return. but you get what you pay for and i think that their CL is much less expensive than the RPC because their CL does not even compare.>

Our best friends arrived today at the GF.
Wish it was us.
but in 28 days we will be cruising.............

hoping for GF in December!!!!

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

see, i think the cm's handled that well. i am always interested in people's comments about lounge behavior. i think another solution to the problem is that the lounge cm's (or more accurately, whomever is in charge of these matters) need to make sure that there is enough for guests. yes, it is wrong for guests to gobble up a whole platter, but as guests we should also not be expected to ration it out, either. there should simply be enough provided where we don't have to worry about that, for those prices. honestly, at RPC, i never saw a situation in which the food was not replenished quickly, no matter how fast the guests might have pounced on it. they always made sure to bring out more right away, and they were bringing it out right until the end of the scheduled time. but i do remember at the poly that was not always the case... they seemed to run out in the evenings of the most popular item sometimes in the first hour and then you were just SOL. snack time at the poly was pretty ridiculous, too- we would often pop in from the pool to find most of the items gone and no one around to ask. it's terrible. at the poly i was uncomfortable because i felt like i could sample very little of what there was because otherwise someone else would go without. there's no reason to feel like that on vacation, let alone for what their prices are. just make sure there is an adequate supply in the first place!

<disclaimer: i am not trying to throw poly under the bus, we loved it overall and will return. but you get what you pay for and i think that their CL is much less expensive than the RPC because their CL does not even compare.>

We had the same experience at the Poly -- things running out and not being replaced. Especially with the desserts at night. Once they were gone, they were gone. It was frustrating for the prices they charge!! And I'm definitely not trying to put down the Poly either. We just LOVED staying there. And we will be returning in December. Just not CL. :)

Looking for any advice and tips on an upcoming stay at the GF...this will be my first time staying at the GF..actually in town for a conference for work but I've managed to sneak 2 nights in at Disney beforehand.... I plan on spending the majority of time at MK and so far have booked a dinner at Citricos (eaten at Narcoosee's on a previous trip already) and a breakfast at the GF Cafe..also plan on spending some time by the pool...how is the DVC construction coming - will that affect my stay?

TIA everyone ..cant wait till August! :cheer2:

pas130 thinking about your princess and sending you some :hug: for today:flower3:

Well, we are down to one more sleep and off we go to the airport tomorrow morning at 5:00 am. They guys are packed but I still have yet to pack. Just finished cleaning the house this morning and now I am off to get my mani/pedi. I am a little sad as I brought my shiba babies to my moms yesterday. It feels weird being home without them but they are having a "Grand" time at nanny's house.:lmao:

The day we check into BLT we will be headed to the GF to visit.:yay: So I will take some pictures and post them that evening.

k&a&c'smom If you can use any of the photos that I post for the thread, please feel free.:flower2:

We are coming in for our 25th Anniversary so hopefully we will enjoy our stay in the main building. Too bad about Narcoossee's being closed (from what I hear).

CoachBagFanatic, you must be getting so excited. I will say it again, I remember when you had 4 weeks to go and you didn't think you could make it! Have a wonderful time. :goodvibes I know k&a&c'smom was looking for a picture of the entrance (from outside looking toward the lobby) with the old car etc. WITHOUT family members :rotfl: Everyone seems to have a picture, but with posed family members...so I know she would appreciate that one! Safe travels, enjoy the YC and BLT. We have stayed in a one bedroom in BLT, it was great. So much room and 2 full baths :goodvibes

PrincessBelle, the general feeling is that the construction only really affects your stay in you are in the RPC (main building) facing the construction, or one of rooms in Big Pine Key nearest the construction. Also, if you are hanging out at the pool, the only current change (that has been reported) at the courtyard pool is the kids' afternoon games are now played there, otherwise it is basically unchanged. The beach pool itself is the same, but not the area around the pool!

We have stayed at CL at both the Polynesian and the GF. I love the Polynesian, but have to say I agree they do not replenish the food nearly as quickly as the GF. The GF usually has at least 2 or 3 CM's just doing the food and cleaning the tables, more than I ever saw at the Poly. Also, at least in SL the concierge CM's are right there and pitch in if needed.

I would have been very upset at the semi circle of moms at the tray line blocking other folks but the beer guy wouldn't have bothered me much.

I've seen plenty of people do that on all my stays. I was a bit wow'd when I first saw it but it is what it is

pas130 thinking about your princess and sending you some :hug: for today:flower3:

Well, we are down to one more sleep and off we go to the airport tomorrow morning at 5:00 am. They guys are packed but I still have yet to pack. Just finished cleaning the house this morning and now I am off to get my mani/pedi. I am a little sad as I brought my shiba babies to my moms yesterday. It feels weird being home without them but they are having a "Grand" time at nanny's house.:lmao:

The day we check into BLT we will be headed to the GF to visit.:yay: So I will take some pictures and post them that evening.

k&a&c'smom If you can use any of the photos that I post for the thread, please feel free.:flower2:

One more sleep :banana: Thank you for the hug :hug: Lab work and xrays tomorrow....safe travels!:flower3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter