A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by k&a&c'smom, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momof2Disneyboys

Momof2Disneyboys DIS Veteran

I agree with you completely. If they HAVE to put up DVC at the Poly, they should just keep it on one end - the GF end, and leave everything else alone. I am so sad they are going to possibly ruin one of the best WDW resorts like this. :sad1:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if these Poly DVC plans are more concrete now, has any paperwork been filed? Last time I read about it (a while back, granted) most of the details were guess work.

Thanks! I agree, it would be a strange time to have buildings down for maintenance, but then, they had SAB down during Spring Break a while back.:headache: Hopefully, it will wait until after the first of the year.

Good luck with your plans!:goodvibes

:yay:Down to the last 2 weeks, so exciting!:dance3: LOL about the mugs.

Ditto!:cheer2:

Woohoo!:banana: Won't be long now.:yay:

Wow, that is incredible good luck!:goodvibes So happy for you, what is involved with the "GF Family of the Day"? Could you describe how it came about, e.g. time of day, how they approached you, etc.? I'm sure everyone would love to hear your story.:cloud9:

Glad to hear you can't hear any construction noises at the courtyard pool.

Congrats again on your delightful surprise.pixiedust:

What a great tip, thanks!:thumbsup2 Funny how we are all hoping for a new mug.:teeth: Such a small detail, but so much fun to find a new design.

4. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Oops, I missed this on my first scroll through the thread.:blush: Very exciting news, so happy for you!:yay: What a wonderful DH to make your Disney dream come true for your 40th birthday.pixiedust:

There is a lot of CL info on the first page - I think around post 3 or 4? (I'll have to check) Love GF CL, and especially RPC, you are going to be so pampered.

I have some photos of the latest food offerings, if I get a chance this weekend I'll get them on Photobucket and post.

5. turningleaf

turningleaf Mouseketeer

Is the fence around the Courtyard Pool a new thing at the GF? I can't remember there being a fence before and I hate the idea of it.

Was planning a short 2 night stay this week, but I just read that the Beach Pool is closing on May 30 and that the Rock Waterfall isn't running anymore. Is this true?

6. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Yes, there is a new fence around the courtyard pool - no, it was not there before the refurb.:) I'm not a fan of the fence in general, but the fence itself is pretty white wrought iron. (I'll add a photo below - I have some close ups of the new fence but couldn't find them, I'll have to look)

Yes, the waterfall is off at the Beach Pool, it is rumored to be due to a complete overhaul of the Beach Pool, including a new section.:thumbsup2 Hope this is true, as the DVC opening will likely add to the number of bathers.

Courtyard pool from the main building, April 25, 2013:
    [​IMG]

7. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Found my courtyard pool photos! Sorry, I didn't get any of the entire pool as there were people in it at the time. I think there is a link to the refurb photos somewhere. In my photos, they were in the process of installing the newer, prettier wrought iron fence - after it was completed, the ugly fencing was taken down.

Here is the lawn in front of Boca, with the dive in movie screen and the first, ugly, utilitarian fencing:
    [​IMG]
    Close up of old utility fence:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the fence, you can see the new wrought iron with the utility fence in the background along with the movie screen:
    [​IMG]
    Looking left, same position, Conch Key in background; again, you can see both fences:
    [​IMG]
    A little more fence, activities sign:
    [​IMG]
    Zero entry with pop jets:
    [​IMG]

As you can see in this series of photos, the new fence might not be what we are used to - but it's a lot better than that first eyesore!!:eek:

8. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Had to post another photo! Today, I received a Thank You from WDW for our recent visit - inside the envelope was a card signed by the characters, it is frameable quality. Nice touch!:goodvibes

If you can't read the text, it has our name (blocked out) and this message:

From all your Disney pals, we hope you created magical memories during your visit to Walt Disney World Resort in 2013.

[​IMG]

9. Candy Orlando

Candy Orlando DIS Veteran

I'm sitting at the courtyard pool and its starting to get dark out. The blue lights in the pool are so beautiful. They are little fountains that have a very peaceful sound. The music in the background adds a nice touch. It's a warm night at this fabulous new pool. The fence gives it a cozy feel.

10. turningleaf

turningleaf Mouseketeer

Thanks for replying and posting pics!

I have to say, I just hate the fence. It may be for safety or access purposes but still I think it affects the open look of the GF grounds. I guess they are preparing the pools for the DVC - they may start checking Key Cards.

I think we'll pass on GF this stay. We love staying there esp at SL, but there's too much going on right now.

11. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Very nice!

Yes I think they must have filed the papers, because Tikiman has been waiting to report the new plans, and he never lets the cat out of the bag unless its 100% correct.

12. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 sounds wonderful! Just a little green with envy!

13. k&a&c'smom

k&a&c'smom DIS Veteran

Oh, that is a shame! I totally understand and don't blame anyone for wanting to visit another resort during the renovations, but we did not find the construction to be too intrusive. We were not there during the next round of pool closure, though, so that is a good point.

Thanks for the info! I was on Steve's site last week, but got called away before I was able to read much about the upcoming plans. I hope all the Poly fans will keep us updated, as the two resorts are so close I feel one complements the other.:thumbsup2

Sounds like a perfect evening.:cloud9: Enjoy!

14. WDW1970

WDW1970 Earning My Ears

I saw on wdwinfo that the pool is closed 5.30-6.1 and the waterslide is closed 5.27-6.1. I am hoping this means it will remain open for the rest of June. Does anyone have any update on what this refurb is all about?

Thanks!

15. MommyGina

MommyGina DIS Veteran

It's nice to hear that there is music in the background. Did you notice if the music is now piped in during the fireworks too?

16. mariamouse

mariamouse <font color=CC66CC>Believes in the magic!!<br><fon

Love this description! Makes me feel like I am there. :)

What is the music you are referring to? Just Victorian music around the resort grounds or is there now music piped in at the courtyard pool specifically?

17. swimfly

swimfly Mouseketeer

Greetings! I'm a newbie to GF but WDW regular. We just switched our ressie for 4th of July from YC to GF TPV. I hope we truly have a TPV. We live in Jacksonville so we'll only be in WDW for 1 night. Have to get a dose of the patriotic magic.

18. Candy Orlando

I don't know because I wasn't at the pool during the fireworks.

19. Candy Orlando

I think it is the Victorian music they play around the resort.

20. Belle72

Belle72 Mouseketeer

Hi! Can anyone give their best guess as to how intrusive construction will be in October? Is there still a sandy beach area at GF? And where would the fireworks be best viewed?

We have already booked GF but are considering Poly (since the rooms will be recently updated) for our October stay. We are planning quite a bit of resort time this trip. Thanks!!

21. Cindy's Mom

Cindy's Mom DIS Veteran

We've managed to squeeze a WDW weekend into our South Florida summer vacation. So excited to stay at the GF, even its its only 2 nights....hey, gotta start somewhere. :cool1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.