A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries, I'd love to see the photos but understand. I have a ton of them from our recent trip that I need to upload.:blush: Oh - can you insert your memory card directly into your computer? I used to forget I could do that, until I got my latest camera and rarely know where I've put the cord.:rotfl:

Thanks for the photos, love the one of the lobby with the Christmas decorations. Is that the Grand Suite? The layout looks similar to the ones posted by Pralines&Cheese that we have on the first page. Gorgeous, isn't it?! I have some of the Victorian Suite (beautiful, I'm dying to stay in it now!) and a 2-BR that is mostly like regular rooms, just roomier.;)

I think the photos are of the Grand Suite, we toured it and the Walt Disney Suite. I am much better at talking:yay::yay: than taking photos and we were almost finished before I remembered.

The camera I took those on is really old the memory card does not fit the standard card now it says Smart Media on the card, I hope I did not leave the cord behind when we checked out.

As for the discounts, although we are going for SWW we still would have stayed at GF if they offered any kind of discount on CL but it was excluded from the AP discounts this time. I noticed the summer AP discount did include it though. I agree, the discounts have been very slim.

baler31 - Oh, I hope you didn't leave it behind! It stinks when you lose a cord - why do all our electronics take different power cords?!:headache: I think it's a conspiracy.;)

I'd love to see the Roy and/or Walt suites.:goodvibes We very much enjoy touring suites when we get a chance, we toured the Presidential(?) at BWI years ago - very pretty. I think I forgot to take a single photo, I'm like you and get to talking and forget.:laughing:

I did get some beautiful photos of the Victorian, I uploaded all of them from our recent trip today - I'll try to get some on Photobucket and post them soon. I miss DD, she used to do all my uploading and organizing of photos.

I meant to comment on your slippers and chocolate! I've noticed several posters talking about the slippers recently, I haven't had any in my room in years. Still didn't get them this time, we meant to call for some and forgot. With a newbie along, our days were very busy - by the time we were in the room, we fell into bed.

We did get chocolate, but it was much smaller than the one in your photos.

I've been meaning to tell everyone, the Garden View Tea Room has a different menu. There are no longer any a la carte items, they changed it the day before we had tea - April 21, I think. Only set teas now, which is a shame.

baler31 - Oh, I hope you didn't leave it behind! It stinks when you lose a cord - why do all our electronics take different power cords?!:headache: I think it's a conspiracy.;)

I'd love to see the Roy and/or Walt suites.:goodvibes We very much enjoy touring suites when we get a chance, we toured the Presidential(?) at BWI years ago - very pretty. I think I forgot to take a single photo, I'm like you and get to talking and forget.:laughing:

I did get some beautiful photos of the Victorian, I uploaded all of them from our recent trip today - I'll try to get some on Photobucket and post them soon. I miss DD, she used to do all my uploading and organizing of photos.

I meant to comment on your slippers and chocolate! I've noticed several posters talking about the slippers recently, I haven't had any in my room in years. Still didn't get them this time, we meant to call for some and forgot. With a newbie along, our days were very busy - by the time we were in the room, we fell into bed.

We did get chocolate, but it was much smaller than the one in your photos.

I've been meaning to tell everyone, the Garden View Tea Room has a different menu. There are no longer any a la carte items, they changed it the day before we had tea - April 21, I think. Only set teas now, which is a shame.

We have gotten that larger chocolate whenever we don't list a celebration :confused3

The slippers have been a funny thing. I have never purchased a pair of slippers for the kids. My parents household rules included footwear and appropriate robes at all times (unless you were sleeping of course, if they were still with us they would have a coronary at some of the lounge attire) and I despise slippers and really shoes. Now that I am an adult I go barefoot at home, so of course my kids loved the slippers and wanted to wear them all the time:rotfl::rotfl:

dreamcatcherkwe - very excited for you!:dance3:

JenniD44 - Glad you are heading back to the Grand to celebrate your big day!:goodvibes

Of course, pixie dust can happen to anyone but I have to say, we have only had one upgrade in all of our WDW stays - from GF garden view to lagoon view. It seems most of the upgrades these days are for administrative reasons - e.g. they have all the garden view rooms booked but few lagoon and they want to open up the cheapest room option, or they were overbooked in TPV, etc.

I would never count on an upgrade, it only leads to disappointment. Either spring for the RPC room now so you can be sure you get what you want, or plan on staying in SL. If a surprise happens, all well and good, but you don't want to spend your special trip thinking of what might have been.:hug:

Thanks for your thoughts. I won't be upset at all if we don't get an upgrade (we never have before, except one we requested and paid for), I was just sort wondering if there was any chance at all.

I'm more hoping that we are able to get the turret room since we did get that last time. I'm worried that since we are checking in on Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, it would still be occupied from the previous week since most people probably leave on Sunday. But since it's just a request, we'll have to see what happens.

Hopefully some people on this thread will be able to help me make a decision. It has always been a dream of mine to stay at the Grand Floridian. I visit WDW often, but so far the only deluxe resort I have stayed at is the Poly. My husband has given the green light to switch my current resort reservation (CBR) to the Grand. I was thinking of what they call "Outer Building Club Level". I assume that means Sugarloaf? The thing that is making me hesitate is the DVC construction. I have been to the Grand a couple of times while the construction is going on, but I really didn't pay that much attention because I was just waiting outside to be called for a lunch reservation. Will it really have much of a negative impact on my stay there? Thanks for any replies.

Yes, Sugarloaf is the "Outer Building Club Level".

We just returned last week from staying at Sugarloaf. From our room, we could not see or hear VGF. They look rather ugly at the moment when viewed from the monorail but did not otherwise detract from our stay. We had a great time!

Well unfortunately I'm not likely to get to speak at a conference at the GF again, so the lesson won't be applied. I'll be paying rack rates next time I'm there because I'm sure I'll fall in love and want to come back without the insane discount. :)

In terms of the time change, I travel a lot for business and find I just have to suck it up and adjust right away. Often I have to get up at 6 or 7am on the first morning for a business trip so I'm sure DH and I can motivate for Disney! My kids are also young enough that their morning process is simple and they can fall right back to sleep in the stroller, so its not like I have to motivate teenagers. Plus we have a late breakfast at Tusker House that morning and my DS4 loves Donald Duck, even has a Donald Safari shirt to wear, so he'll be so excited the sleep won't matter.

I leave Sunday and just checking the boards today got me so excited! I can barely wait to get to the GF, I am beyond impatient at this point. :hyper:

Have a magical trip pixiedust: looking forward to hearing about it! Almost there!

We have gotten that larger chocolate whenever we don't list a celebration :confused3

The slippers have been a funny thing. I have never purchased a pair of slippers for the kids. My parents household rules included footwear and appropriate robes at all times (unless you were sleeping of course, if they were still with us they would have a coronary at some of the lounge attire) and I despise slippers and really shoes. Now that I am an adult I go barefoot at home, so of course my kids loved the slippers and wanted to wear them all the time:rotfl::rotfl:

Well, isn't that odd about the larger chocolate/no celebration?:confused: I think I did tell them our celebration was a "first visit"!

LOL about your kids and the slippers. I have gone barefoot all my life, my mom had a terrible time keeping shoes on me. As I grow older, I need socks during the winter, and I bought my first pair of real bunny slippers last year. They are so cute, but I never wear them.:laughing: The slippers in the resort are more of a novelty than a need for something on our feet! I wanted my niece to feel pampered - but she did anyway, she's spoiled after RPC.;)

Thanks for your thoughts. I won't be upset at all if we don't get an upgrade (we never have before, except one we requested and paid for), I was just sort wondering if there was any chance at all.

I'm more hoping that we are able to get the turret room since we did get that last time. I'm worried that since we are checking in on Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, it would still be occupied from the previous week since most people probably leave on Sunday. But since it's just a request, we'll have to see what happens.

I read over my response, I hope it didn't sound like I was chastising. Not at all my intent, I just know how disappointing it can be if you hope for an upgrade that doesn't happen. Even after all this time, we sometimes think it might happen for us and when it doesn't, we feel a teensy bit let down.:hug:

It is possible, just not all that likely. They could overbook SL and have to upgrade some guests. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and if not, for the turret room. I don't think many people know to ask for that, so you may get lucky there. pixiedust:

Yes, Sugarloaf is the "Outer Building Club Level".

We just returned last week from staying at Sugarloaf. From our room, we could not see or hear VGF. They look rather ugly at the moment when viewed from the monorail but did not otherwise detract from our stay. We had a great time!

Great to hear about your stay, Dr Ken!:goodvibes
Did your wife fare well in the lounge with the food? Remember, I am the one that had the same surgery as your wife. :wave2:

Also, did the SL provide slippers in the rooms also?

Tia! :)

Great to hear about your stay, Dr Ken!:goodvibes
Did your wife fare well in the lounge with the food? Remember, I am the one that had the same surgery as your wife. :wave2:

Also, did the SL provide slippers in the rooms also?

Tia! :)

She was able to eat anything they offered. While we were there, they had oatmeal for breakfast, which she enjoyed.

We had to schedule about 30 min after each serving before we did anything because even walking disturbed her limited digestion. After that, we'd take a bus or monorail. By the time we'd reach a park, she'd be ready for anything. (She road SM twice in a row because the line was only 10 min. It was raining so we figured a dry repeat was better than a wet walk.)

We had robes in the room but I didn't see any slippers and didn't ask. She needs extra pillows at night to avoid bile reflux. There were lots of extra pillows in the room.

She came home at the same weight as when we left so she must have gotten enough food while we were there. (She's lost two more pounds since we got home.). She's disappointed that we don't have a magic CL buffet at home.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! :rose:

She was able to eat anything they offered. While we were there, they had oatmeal for breakfast, which she enjoyed.

We had to schedule about 30 min after each serving before we did anything because even walking disturbed her limited digestion. After that, we'd take a bus or monorail. By the time we'd reach a park, she'd be ready for anything. (She road SM twice in a row because the line was only 10 min. It was raining so we figured a dry repeat was better than a wet walk.)

We had robes in the room but I didn't see any slippers and didn't ask. She needs extra pillows at night to avoid bile reflux. There were lots of extra pillows in the room.

She came home at the same weight as when we left so she must have gotten enough food while we were there. (She's lost two more pounds since we got home.). She's disappointed that we don't have a magic CL buffet at home.

Wonderful to hear your DW was able to enjoy everything fully.:cheer2: I laughed at the last sentence - that is my DD's reaction every time we return home from CL.:teeth:

We just booked our 1st anniversary trip for December 7-12 at GF!!! We got married last year at Disney on 12/8/12 and honeymooned at GF. We are sooooo excited to be going back. We had an amazing time last time. The grand has became our fav Disney resort! We booked the same room type. Outer building TPV, and were gong to request Sago. Would love to get same room number that we had on honeymoon but that prob won't happen.

We're here at the GF! Got in last night. We were upgraded from a Garden View to a "Lagoon View" with a clear view of the MK. I had requested Sago but we're in Boca Chica with the upgrade, I did get the first floor as requested. Its a corner room and has 2 balconies - one has the usual sliding doors and overlooks Narcoosie's and another closer to the bathroom/table with a single door that looks right on to the lagoon. Both have a view of the castle and we were able to watch the electric water pageant and fireworks last night.

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adults.

The GF is as nice as I imagined and the lobby smelled as good as you all said! Haven't even made it to the beach pool yet. The new jets on the courtyard pool have colored lights at night, I thought that was a cool look.

Oh, and I WAS able to pick up my conference-rate park tickets from the concierge instead of having to go to a park guest services. The CM wasn't sure either, but she made it happen.

We're here at the GF! Got in last night. We were upgraded from a Garden View to a "Lagoon View" with a clear view of the MK. I had requested Sago but we're in Boca Chica with the upgrade, I did get the first floor as requested. Its a corner room and has 2 balconies - one has the usual sliding doors and overlooks Narcoosie's and another closer to the bathroom/table with a single door that looks right on to the lagoon. Both have a view of the castle and we were able to watch the electric water pageant and fireworks last night.

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adult

Congrats on the Lagoon View!!!! It sounds beautiful. I have never heard of that room set up with the extra door/balcony. Would LOVE to see some pics if you get the time. Have a wonderful vacation pixiedust:

Does anyone that has been to the GF recently know anything about this?

I can confirm it wasn't operating last month. Lifeguard said it hasn't been for a couple months. Sorry, though, that I have no new info on if and when it will run again.

I should know this but I don't. Does the GF have the keurigs in all their rooms?

Our room in Boca Chica did not. It did have the thing that brewed two side by side cups (of not-so-great coffee) using the little pods that resemble tea bags.

Congrats on the Lagoon View!!!! It sounds beautiful. I have never heard of that room set up with the extra door/balcony. Would LOVE to see some pics if you get the time. Have a wonderful vacation pixiedust:

Thanks. I'll try to get pictures. We got in late last night but I should have taken some before we unpacked! I need to figure out if the rooms above us have the same layout or if its an anomaly on the first floor.

We just booked our 1st anniversary trip for December 7-12 at GF!!! We got married last year at Disney on 12/8/12 and honeymooned at GF. We are sooooo excited to be going back. We had an amazing time last time. The grand has became our fav Disney resort! We booked the same room type. Outer building TPV, and were gong to request Sago. Would love to get same room number that we had on honeymoon but that prob won't happen.

Congrats on booking the Grand for your anniversary trip!:cloud9: It certainly does have a way of making guests want to return again and again.

Have you added the room number to your requests? Most posters will say not to do this, as it will make it harder for the room assigner to give you a comparable room if the one you request is unavailable. I've read of a number of guests who request the same room, and I've done it at check in, so it's possible. Just a thought.:flower3:

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adults.

The GF is as nice as I imagined and the lobby smelled as good as you all said! Haven't even made it to the beach pool yet. The new jets on the courtyard pool have colored lights at night, I thought that was a cool look.

Oh, and I WAS able to pick up my conference-rate park tickets from the concierge instead of having to go to a park guest services. The CM wasn't sure either, but she made it happen.

Wonderful!:goodvibes Have a magical, Grand vacation. Congrats on the upgrade, the corner rooms are tough to get.:) Very few rooms have the table and chairs, after the 2007 renovations they added a desk and there wasn't enough room for the table. The corner rooms are a bit larger.

Thanks. I'll try to get pictures. We got in late last night but I should have taken some before we unpacked! I need to figure out if the rooms above us have the same layout or if its an anomaly on the first floor.

Can't wait to see your photos! There are a number of rooms at the GF with those angled entry halls, and some other oddities. One of the things that makes the resort so charming, to us.:lovestruc

Congrats on going back to the GF! I have to say that I have been
VERY lucky when booking a specific room number for my stays at the GF. I have always got the room I wanted. I don't know if this happened because I booked so far out, 10 moths before our vacation, or not.

I have requested the same room in RPC that we had a few years ago for our upcoming July vacation, so I will see what happens.

Congrats on going back to the GF! I have to say that I have been
VERY lucky when booking a specific room number for my stays at the GF. I have always got the room I wanted. I don't know if this happened because I booked so far out, 10 moths before our vacation, or not.

I have requested the same room in RPC that we had a few years ago for our upcoming July vacation, so I will see what happens.

That's good to know!! Thanks! I'm going to request it! It would be amazing to be in the same room that we were in when we got married and honeymooned. It will bring back wonderful memories! :)

Does anyone know when the rooms will be refurbished? Specifically Sugar Loaf? Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter