A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

The idea evolved through years of arguments over funding, location

So, just like every government run project.

There are a thousand jokes I could insert here regarding our most recent election but I suspect none of them could pass muster with the DISBoard rules.

Then they probably actually were funny.

So imagine that they’re all hilarious

See?! ^ I did!

But after a while, you get the sense of…well, there it is.

Kinda the same with every time I see the laundry pile.

But we did get to the bottom of the mountain so we could check and see if any of our distinguished former presidents had any noticeable boogers

At their age I'd be more worried about nose hairs. <goes to bathroom mirror>

As a piece of art, it’s a stunning achievement on a huge scale. I wouldn’t want a lot of repeated attempts to use nature’s beauty for our own sketchpad, but on the whole I’m glad this place exists.

Nicely stated! Kudos to excellent writing!

Oh, did I mention that Julie and I were celebrating our 18th anniversary this particular evening?

Of course you were. You go every year on your anniversary. Maybe next might I recommend the vending machines at a rest stop on I-84 on your way here. (Where I will make up for it with a (free) steak dinner). I hear the Gardettos are amazing.

Julie, however, really enjoyed her meal—an “Indian taco”—basically a taco served on Southwestern fry bread. She loved it.

I had one made on the Navajo Reservation that was delicious! How can you beat deep fried bread with the taco fixin's?

We pulled back into Mt. Rushmore as the sun was beginning to set.

You'd see it, yet went back? I was going to ask about the return privileges that came with the parking pass, and wondered WHO would do that?! Now, I know.

I am not ashamed in the least to say that I was elbowing my own kids out of the way just so I could blow stuff up.

Of course you were. Any parent would.

Every night as darkness falls, the park shows a 20-minute film on Mt. Rushmore here and then takes the flag down for the evening. They ask for veterans of our armed services to stand and be recognized, and then ask them to come down and join them on the stage to take part in lowering the flag for the night. The national anthem is played, and then the memorial is illuminated for the night. It’s a nice patriotic ceremony and worth seeing one time.

Ok. THAT is very cool. I'd totally go back for that.

Actually, now that you mention it.... no.

I said, pull my finger!

All better. Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

I am? I didn't even know you were getting married!

Not again! I was lucky to even get one woman to agree to it!

That thing has hardly changed from the first time I saw it.... 40 years ago.

We saw it from the road. Didn't look like much. They charged a fee to go in further. We didn't bother.

image-4948953-1-product.jpg

I'll just add it to the pile of supplies.

Certainly...
That should greatly enhance the reading experience 'round here.

Well, it does need something.

And just how many times have you said that in your life.
(and did you ever actually mean it?)

I can't remember any promises I make. As a rule, it's self-preservation.

I wonder what value the market will be placing on this.

What's 2,389 times zero?

You collages are better than most everyone elses professionally manicured portraits.

Especially if they involve bunny ears.

I'm not surprised in the least.
I need to go down that way one of these first days.

I think you'd like the place. Still need to get photos uploaded.

Have not had a chance to see it. On the extended bucket list but not sure I am going to get there anytime soon. It is impressive.

It's just not close to anything else. That's part of the problem.

Nothing but the best for the mother of your children. At least it wasn't a milestone anniversary.

Actually, I am sure she would rather be there than anywhere else. And yes, you married out of your league.

Amen. Wherever we go, it beats Delaware. That's how we look at it.

It's a good thing you're not a fast updater. Cuz this week, I've been not a very fast replyer. I will get here, Mark. Cross my heart.

I certainly can't throw shade at anyone for being behind. It's my constant state of being!

Drew is adorable! Love how this installment started and ended with a boy and his snack foods! :) And who doesn't love cookies for breakfast?

I like your cave pictures - they turned out well!

However, I would like to report a bit of success. On this morning, June 28, our youngest son took it upon himself to serve everyone breakfast in bed. He tends to wake up early, like most toddlers, and I don’t know if we were slow getting ready that morning or what. But that’s where top-notch parental training comes into play. Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.
Clearly, the wrong members of the Oblivious family have stayed at my house.

Hehehehehehe. Tail's up. You know what that means, right?

We found one guy standing off by himself very close to the road. I pulled over because Julie wanted to get a classic “side profile of American bison with the vast prairie as a backdrop”-type photo. She rolled down her window and carefully composed her image. Then the bison started making a loud growling noise, stamping his feet and rolling his head in the dirt. So Julie snapped a quick shot, and we made like a tree and got out of there.
Should have gotten that extra insurance on the rental van. Would have been totally worth it!

(Also, that joke is about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.)

I think I was farting around in the gift shop.
Better there than the enclosed area of the cave.

Great update! I loved the pictures of the bison - so cool! The pictures from inside the caves were great as well:thumbsup2

Thanks! It was pretty cool seeing so many of the bison out there.

Nah. I want to be more successful so they can grovel at my feet while I look down upon them.

Or that. It's good to have goals as a parent, is what I'm saying.

It's nice when you know your place.

On the couch. With the remote.

I just want them to move out so I can have some peace and quiet.

Failing that, at least contribute to the bill payments.

:laughing: I wonder.... "I want cookies. If I give everyone cookies, I can have cookies."

Oh, that's exactly what the thought process was! This kid is no dummy.

I am so happy you wrote 'bison' and not 'buffalo'. Pet peeve of mine. We're not in Africa. Or at a zoo.

I made that mistake for years. Now I know better. And I know I need to keep you happy, too.

Oh, for.... Who took that picture?!?!?

I think you figured it out later on.

I hope so. That's where the adult bison come from.

I always wondered about that...

You don't want to tick off a bison. There's a video that I saw yesterday of a few bison trotting down a highway.... until the lead eventually gets to the car from where they're being filmed.... and rams it.

Yeah, once he started getting agitated, we figured we'd better not stick around. Even if it was a rental.

Whoa. Not just a hole in the ground.

A really big hole in the ground!

Ah! "along the way". So... perhaps, before you got to a certain sign where you posed for a family photo.

Yep, that was it.

Thank goodness. Had me worried there for a bit.

Julie's mom was big into quilting. Me...not so much.

Much less forceful with the bigger entrance I presume. Or was there a door or something with a small open window or something like that?

This was the original hole, so you could feel the air rushing out. There was a door just to the side of where we were standing, just out of the photo. That's where we entered the cave.

:laughing: Sounds like fun.

It was! If you're claustrophobic, maybe not so much. But we were having a good time.

Huh! Cool. Never seen anything like that before.
Question. Lighting. Overhead string of incandescent (maybe CFL now) or something else?

I really would love to know how they lit the cave. There are regular lights all throughout the tour, mostly hidden behind rock formations so you can't see the actual lights themselves. I assume they need miles of cable to be able to accomplish this, but I have no idea how they did it, and also hid the infrastructure so well.

Why? Please explain. Hadn't you already solve this problem at the gift shop?

It's a chronic issue.

There it is.

100% bean free!

:lmao: Okay... be honest. Someone put that there after he was out, right?

Well, yes and no. He did fall asleep with the Cheeto there, but of course by the time we got a camera out it fell off. Sarah lovingly helped re-create the moment for us.:thumbsup2

So, just like every government run project.

We've actually tried the faster approach: "Here's the project, here's what we're doing. We all have college degrees and are experts and we know what we're doing, so we're moving forward." That never goes well. People want their voices heard! And it's actually a worthwhile process to take your time and try and address everyone's concerns. Many times they are aware of issues you never would have considered, since you don't live there.

Of course, many times they have stupid ideas that you have to find a professional way to say no to as well. And many times there is needless waste of time and money.

I guess the point is, it would go a lot better if people weren't involved.

Then they probably actually were funny.

See?! ^ I did!

Great! I don't have to bother thinking any up now.:woohoo:

Kinda the same with every time I see the laundry pile.

I don't know about yours, but ours is still there.

At their age I'd be more worried about nose hairs. <goes to bathroom mirror>

Just get rid of the mirrors. Things work better that way.

Nicely stated! Kudos to excellent writing!

Hey, thanks! :goodvibes

Of course you were. You go every year on your anniversary. Maybe next might I recommend the vending machines at a rest stop on I-84 on your way here. (Where I will make up for it with a (free) steak dinner). I hear the Gardettos are amazing.

Julie's going to be counting the days once I tell her about the 85-cent Funyuns!:cool1:

(That steak sounds pretty amazing, though)

I had one made on the Navajo Reservation that was delicious! How can you beat deep fried bread with the taco fixin's?

Doesn't that sound good? In retrospect, that's what I should have ordered!

You'd see it, yet went back? I was going to ask about the return privileges that came with the parking pass, and wondered WHO would do that?! Now, I know.

It was the night-time illumination ceremony. Our friends had said it was worth seeing, and they were right.

Of course you were. Any parent would.

When it comes to blowing crap up, it's every man for himself. Or woman.

Ok. THAT is very cool. I'd totally go back for that.

Definitely worth the time spent.

Drew is adorable! Love how this installment started and ended with a boy and his snack foods! :) And who doesn't love cookies for breakfast?

He's such a stinker. I think he knew we'd have a harder time saying no if he brought one to everyone.

I like your cave pictures - they turned out well!

Thanks!

Clearly, the wrong members of the Oblivious family have stayed at my house.

See, from our perspective the exact right members stayed at your house.

Hehehehehehe. Tail's up. You know what that means, right?

Just marking his territory. "Here's what I think of your scenic view!"

Should have gotten that extra insurance on the rental van. Would have been totally worth it!

Vacations are all about creating memories, and that would definitely have been memorable.

(Also, that joke is about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.)

+1:thumbsup2

Better there than the enclosed area of the cave.

I'm very considerate like that.

However, I would like to report a bit of success. On this morning, June 28, our youngest son took it upon himself to serve everyone breakfast in bed. He tends to wake up early, like most toddlers, and I don’t know if we were slow getting ready that morning or what. But that’s where top-notch parental training comes into play. Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.
Such a thoughtful kid. I think you have a chef in the making.

We used the same arrangement as at Jewel Cave, where my friend’s wife stayed back with the little ones while the rest of us explored the cave.
That's really great that it worked out that way. It would have been a lot tougher to get through everything without some help.

Literally or figuratively? Be honest, you were crop dusting, weren't you?

I was glad no one had opted for re-fried beans at breakfast.
Only because Drew couldn't work the can opener yet.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Future Disdad!

Such a thoughtful kid. I think you have a chef in the making.

Isn't he great? So kind and generous.

That's really great that it worked out that way. It would have been a lot tougher to get through everything without some help.

Yeah, it really is. I don't know how we would have done it without our friends around.

Literally or figuratively? Be honest, you were crop dusting, weren't you?

:rolleyes1

Only because Drew couldn't work the can opener yet.

Don't give him any ideas.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Future Disdad!

That's my boy!

We've actually tried the faster approach: "Here's the project, here's what we're doing. We all have college degrees and are experts and we know what we're doing, so we're moving forward." That never goes well. People want their voices heard! And it's actually a worthwhile process to take your time and try and address everyone's concerns. Many times they are aware of issues you never would have considered, since you don't live there.

Of course, many times they have stupid ideas that you have to find a professional way to say no to as well. And many times there is needless waste of time and money.

I guess the point is, it would go a lot better if people weren't involved.
Case in point with our aquifer here at home. A local water district, private, wants to tap into it after one of the neighbors sold his water right to them (he's not invited to the potlucks and card games anymore). The fact that several of our lot are drawing sand wasn't really something they'd considered when they came up with this plan to pump into their system to supply the county next to us....

Uhhhh, can't they find their own water? Ugh. We've had more than a few heated "discussions" with all the neighbors present and yeah, not very productive. Business and profits over drawing down our wells. Never mind the fact, that at least one of these neighbors (Mike) has a degree in hydrology and does this for a living.

Great! I don't have to bother thinking any up now.:woohoo:

Wait... did you ever?

Julie's going to be counting the days once I tell her about the 85-cent Funyuns!:cool1:

(That steak sounds pretty amazing, though)

Pork rinds > Funyuns!

In retrospect, that's what I should have ordered!

Hindsight's 20/20... You can always go back.

When it comes to blowing crap up, it's every man for himself. Or woman.

OH heck yes!!! Like this?

Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.

That kid has a future in the hospitality industry!

It also is home to one of the largest bison populations in the country, and we encountered some of their number as we reached the border of Wind Cave National Park.

Cool!

Then the bison started making a loud growling noise, stamping his feet and rolling his head in the dirt. So Julie snapped a quick shot, and we made like a tree and got out of there.

Yeah, I think I would been outta there too!

And when I say “we” explored the quilts, I mean Julie and Sarah did. I think I was farting around in the gift shop.

OK I was wondering why you were so interested in quilts.

When the rock crumbles away, all that is left is that box-like structure. According to the ranger, this is one of the few caves in the world that features this particular formation.

Interesting.

What I'm wondering is that if you were farting around the gift shop earlier is that you didn't opt for the refried beans at breakfast? :confused3

:rotfl2:

Chapter 9: A Mighty Wind
This is not an occult science. This is not one of those crazy systems of divination and astrology. That stuff's hooey, and you've got to have a screw loose to go in for that sort of thing. Our beliefs are fairly commonplace and simple to understand. Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration. You would make that conclusion walking down the street or going to the store.

We have worked hard to train our children right.
Endless hours of “Pull my finger” exercises…
Those always pay off in the long run.

It’s the built-in dream of every parent to have your children grow up to be both more successful and become better people than yourself.
Pretty sure that one was just recently outlawed.

If you can produce a child who ends up having a wonderful, high-paying job that he/she is good at, a beautiful family of his/her own, a well-adjusted, selfless attitude and an ability to rebound from failure and be humble in success, you will have won the parenting game and will thus be required to write books and give TED talks on just how in the heck you managed to do that.
Or you can talk about the metaphysics of a life spent following Philadelphia sporting franchises…
Both topics will garner similar consideration and reaction from a TED Talk audience.

Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.
“I got the cookie for you…”

Well done Drew, well done indeed.

We checked out of the Custer Comfort Inn and took the scenic route…
What?
Not even one horrible, uncalled-for “Last Stand” joke?

Now you gonn’a have to add at least three fart jokes to the next chapter to make up for the oversight.

Then the bison started making a loud growling noise, stamping his feet and rolling his head in the dirt. So Julie snapped a quick shot, and we made like a tree and got out of there.
Don’t want to look a gift horse in the butt, ya’ know.
(or would that be gift bison?)

Wind Cave was most likely first discovered by Native Americans living in the Black Hills
We can probably accept that one as a given.
Heck, they may be the ones that originally put the “wind” into the thing.

Thankfully, our National Park pass was accepted here in lieu of the fee for the tour.
Those little beauties have served y’all quite well.

my friend’s wife stayed back with the little ones while the rest of us explored the cave.
A nomination for sainthood may be in order here.

And we’d be shocked and disappointed it this were not (literally) true.

we met the park ranger, who led us to the hole in the ground…
And summarily pushed you in.

(either that or there’s a ranger out there that needs to be returning a bribe or two)

It felt much more like being in an Indiana Jones movie…
:woohoo:

minus the tarantulas, bottomless pits and poison darts shooting out of the walls.
Awwwwwwwww…

Not even a hand hewn bolder to chase you through the passages?

That minor detail would never hinder a true DisDad from the successful completion of his appointed duties.

We had more states to explore. More ground to cover. More driving to do. More of the Midwest to discover! WHO’S WITH ME????

-1oXBfpG6IETxQ8l9E2Y1-cZHSXNX1S5zKaC0OOFIblESDwuWkAENx36X33s1u-oivb8d4-ACF3f_uGHzkbtlqndi4TX7AAJow5plpcBfaHVr-7uKSuvfxwzlMv_KHqUmsbgL0_6AKSAfEWejWPZKGQGdfO47pOzkQZaXhEtLSpsJX3PsFJOkQ0RsmR6cixXreVgVqe3al0FGFXhaJ89yaqgW32SDU_BlyOvLbw49vvUkDUj7sVI8NwTTDcoMSbhdqgfjo3AkpgL8j2gYCNgHj0gk7lx2dxmlcqDY2iizjMgoH2FuXFRo0onO0rQ3aNa0LMdWDiZfhA_KggkKwwP5wJUB_eRPgFu_MzFvGWil-gHk1RR7AC1j1bEWB7OTkIx8AJ_DA5Rs9Obf36YP__C2cCufO8BYzPJLeVJ-mW6PeKXlj5t1Y0bVJ3n3eySrQ6luFwFuxDrn67ELMRqOQ9TOa_kYhY1Y_4Uugy_MFprJbb8SX3YyWGrLwR9NDPFFnshCQ57S3ZS8HVPNP4BlpdYI0T4k8tdQmDAkJ7xIDnbfuzNBRyJLu9T7nJ76zUdYqVNJBrl3uZCLgkH-eZ6dKPWU2ZGU3TutBUCH-plVOpfwmPa3EmugKvN=w624-h835-no
Well the Cheeto is still with you…

at least until Drew wakes back up anyway.

Coming Up Next: Pure Distilled American Excellence.
And some of it will be buried up to its mud flaps, I bet-ch’a

Case in point with our aquifer here at home. A local water district, private, wants to tap into it after one of the neighbors sold his water right to them (he's not invited to the potlucks and card games anymore). The fact that several of our lot are drawing sand wasn't really something they'd considered when they came up with this plan to pump into their system to supply the county next to us....

Uhhhh, can't they find their own water? Ugh. We've had more than a few heated "discussions" with all the neighbors present and yeah, not very productive. Business and profits over drawing down our wells. Never mind the fact, that at least one of these neighbors (Mike) has a degree in hydrology and does this for a living.

Well, that just sounds wonderful. I'm surprised that neighbor hasn't been drawn and quartered yet.

Wait... did you ever?

Um...sure, sure I did.

Pork rinds > Funyuns!

I remember hearing a report in college once that pork rinds were determined to be the absolute worst food you could eat in terms of nutrition. My roommate and I promptly went out and bought a bag.

Hindsight's 20/20... You can always go back.

Yes, now I know.

OH heck yes!!! Like this?

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

That kid has a future in the hospitality industry!

Isn't he sweet? So helpful!

Yeah, I think I would been outta there too!

You don't mess with a bison.

OK I was wondering why you were so interested in quilts.

I have as much interest in quilts as I do in kale products.

What I'm wondering is that if you were farting around the gift shop earlier is that you didn't opt for the refried beans at breakfast? :confused3

Hey, my hot air comes naturally!

Hey, my hot air comes naturally!

Yeah, this is what makes a TR go from fun to, "Yeah, I"m gonna keep coming back to this one. I really like these people!"

This is not an occult science. This is not one of those crazy systems of divination and astrology. That stuff's hooey, and you've got to have a screw loose to go in for that sort of thing. Our beliefs are fairly commonplace and simple to understand. Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration. You would make that conclusion walking down the street or going to the store.

Nice catch. Personally, I prefer operating on the 41st vibration.

Endless hours of “Pull my finger” exercises…
Those always pay off in the long run.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Pretty sure that one was just recently outlawed.

I hate 2016.

Or you can talk about the metaphysics of a life spent following Philadelphia sporting franchises…
Both topics will garner similar consideration and reaction from a TED Talk audience.

Low blow!

I mean, it's true, but still...

“I got the cookie for you…”

Well done Drew, well done indeed.

He is one smart dude.

What?
Not even one horrible, uncalled-for “Last Stand” joke?

Now you gonn’a have to add at least three fart jokes to the next chapter to make up for the oversight.

Well, I did that in the previous chapter. And as you know, I never, ever repeat a joke.

Don’t want to look a gift horse in the butt, ya’ know.
(or would that be gift bison?)

I'm not going anywhere near his butt.

We can probably accept that one as a given.
Heck, they may be the ones that originally put the “wind” into the thing.

Could be. They were probably all thinking, "Those guys are just getting around to finding that?"

Those little beauties have served y’all quite well.

::yes::

A nomination for sainthood may be in order here.

Agreed. If not for her fear of going underground, we might not have been able to do all of this stuff.

And we’d be shocked and disappointed it this were not (literally) true.

I said, pull my finger!

And summarily pushed you in.

(either that or there’s a ranger out there that needs to be returning a bribe or two)

Oh, really? Did you guys all put money in the pot or something?

Awwwwwwwww…

Not even a hand hewn bolder to chase you through the passages?

I suspect it was lost in federal budget cuts.

That minor detail would never hinder a true DisDad from the successful completion of his appointed duties.

Oh, it didn't. Trust me.:thumbsup2

Well the Cheeto is still with you…

at least until Drew wakes back up anyway.

It didn't stay there very long.

And some of it will be buried up to its mud flaps, I bet-ch’a

Don't give it away! I stopped here so I could give the place its due in a new chapter.

Yeah, this is what makes a TR go from fun to, "Yeah, I"m gonna keep coming back to this one. I really like these people!"

Aww....:goodvibes

I said, pull my finger!

Okay! What's supposed to hap........

ew

Not again! I was lucky to even get one woman to agree to it!

For once we agree on something.

We saw it from the road. Didn't look like much. They charged a fee to go in further. We didn't bother.

We did the exact same thing. Except decades (literally) earlier.

Or that. It's good to have goals as a parent, is what I'm saying.

On the couch. With the remote.

She doesn't take away the remote?
She really does love you.

Failing that, at least contribute to the bill payments.

Or that.

I made that mistake for years. Now I know better. And I know I need to keep you happy, too.

Do not tick me off.... Do. Not.

Yeah, once he started getting agitated, we figured we'd better not stick around. Even if it was a rental.

Yep. Makes it tough to get the deposit back when you return only 60% of the car.

Julie's mom was big into quilting. Me...not so much.

Nor I.

This was the original hole, so you could feel the air rushing out. There was a door just to the side of where we were standing, just out of the photo. That's where we entered the cave.

Huh. Got it.

I really would love to know how they lit the cave. There are regular lights all throughout the tour, mostly hidden behind rock formations so you can't see the actual lights themselves. I assume they need miles of cable to be able to accomplish this, but I have no idea how they did it, and also hid the infrastructure so well.

Interesting and... I think I like not knowing better.

Well, yes and no. He did fall asleep with the Cheeto there, but of course by the time we got a camera out it fell off. Sarah lovingly helped re-create the moment for us.:thumbsup2

:laughing: That's a good daughter.

Low blow!

I mean, it's true, but still...
Hay, I'm a long time follower of the Dolphins, I get it.
Of course the local Charlotte franchises make up for...

Oh, never mind.

And as you know, I never, ever repeat a joke.
Certainly not within the confines of this post.

Tremendous display of strength and self control, there.

Oh, really? Did you guys all put money in the pot or something?
Of course not. We'd never do such.

So far as you know.

suspect it was lost in federal budget cuts.
Mining, drilling, logging and commercial retail and entertainment development within the national parks should be commencing in the near future. That should solve the funding issues.

Okay! What's supposed to hap........

ew

You kinda walked into that one.

For once we agree on something.

We did the exact same thing. Except decades (literally) earlier.

I wonder if they'll ever finish it. I have my doubts.

She doesn't take away the remote?
She really does love you.

Control of the remote is my very last stronghold in the house.

Do not tick me off.... Do. Not.

Well, stop pulling my finger!

Yep. Makes it tough to get the deposit back when you return only 60% of the car.

Sounds like the voice of experience.

Interesting and... I think I like not knowing better.

I'd be interested to know how they accomplished it.

:laughing: That's a good daughter.

Yep, she's a keeper!

Hay, I'm a long time follower of the Dolphins, I get it.
Of course the local Charlotte franchises make up for...

Oh, never mind.

I know that feeling.

Certainly not within the confines of this post.

Tremendous display of strength and self control, there.

Running a gag into the ground? That is against everything the DIS Dads stand for.

Of course not. We'd never do such.

So far as you know.

Ignorance is bliss.

Mining, drilling, logging and commercial retail and entertainment development within the national parks should be commencing in the near future. That should solve the funding issues.

Well, there you go. Sounds like a win-win for everybody.

Chapter 10: A Tribute To All Nations, But Mostly America.

Ever since I started writing trip reports, it’s affected the way I travel. I never used to take photos of meals before. It’s still not a huge priority to me, but it’s something I wouldn’t even have thought of until I started writing these things. There are many times when we’re visiting a certain place that I’ll notice something quirky or funny and think, “Oh, this will get some laughs when I write about it,” or something along those lines. Conversely, sometimes I’ll encounter a situation where I’ll how wonder how I could ever make it interesting to another reader.

But every once in a while, I encounter that rare situation where the heavens align. The muse is fully present, and inspiration strikes like a bolt of lightning. The situation is so right that I only need to be present to observe it. If I listen closely, I can hear the trip report chapter practically writing itself.

Hang on. This chapter needs some background music.*

*--Apologies in advance to my Canadian and German readers.

“Fourscore and seven years ago, our forefathers brought forth a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” – Abraham Lincoln

The United States of America, while still a relatively young nation, has a proud history of monumental achievements. Some would say it stems from our Founding Fathers, who crafted such a brilliant governmental system in writing our Constitution. The creation of that system allowed for such freedom and opportunity that any ordinary citizen, released from the shackles of government oppression, could pursue his or her dreams with a zeal heretofore unmatched in any society in the world. Americans heeded the call of opportunity, and excelled.

We would not be denied the right to govern our own country independently. And when the greatest army in the world tried to stop us, we formed a ragtag, untrained army of our own—and won our independence! And then, just a couple of decades later, that same army challenged us once more…and once more, we rose to the occasion and defeated them. When Thomas Jefferson completed the Louisiana Purchase and needed men to explore the vast, uncharted territory, seeking water passage to the Pacific, we only needed two men to accomplish the feat. (Yes, I know that water passage didn’t actually exist, but still.)

“America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination, and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” – Harry S Truman

When we decided we wanted a railroad that ran all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific, we rolled up our sleeves and got it done. Are you thankful for the ability to fly anywhere in the world in a matter of hours? Thank the Wright Brothers, Americans who conquered the skies. Do you like being able to light up your house at night? Thank Thomas Edison, an American. Do you enjoy the convenience of microwaveable instant meals? Thank Mssrs. Stouffer and Swanson, Americans, probably.

We brought the world the cotton gin, the steam engine, the washing machine, the television, and the Chia Pet. We invented baseball, invented basketball, and stole the name of football to describe a completely different sport. Rumor has it we even created disco music on a dare.

“I wake up in the morning and I p--- excellence.” – Ricky Bobby

It was the United States that first introduced the idea of National Parks. They say never to fight a war on two fronts, but in World War II, we did just that, and won! (Fine, with the help of several other nations, if you want to be picky.) In the 1960’s, we looked at the moon and decided, “We’re putting a man up there.” And we did it, with the help of computers with far less power than the phone in your pocket! In fact, we invented that phone in your pocket! We turned back Communist oppression in the Cold War! We conquered supersonic speed! Heck, when we lost a basketball game in the Olympics, we changed the rules in order to allow our professionals to play so we’d never lose again!

George Washington. Abraham Lincoln. Frederick Douglass. The guy who invented the air-cannon that shoots hot dogs and t-shirts into the crowd at sports events. Henry Ford. Teddy Roosevelt. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The Mythbusters. Whoever first thought to deep-fry a Twinkie. Pioneers, all of them.

All of this innovation, achievement, and American exceptionalism culminated in 1987 in Alliance, Nebraska, when a towering icon named Jim Reinders made a decision, the ramifications of which thundered throughout the cultured world and still echo today. Mr. Reinders looked out on a flat, nondescript field. He didn’t see wheat, or corn, or even dusty barren grass. He saw opportunity. He saw art. He saw his crowning achievement.

He saw a full-scale replica model of Stonehenge. Made out of junked vintage automobiles. With a 1962 Cadillac Coupe De Ville serving as the heelstone.

And this great American gave the world—us—Carhenge.

Our journey took us south, into the state of Nebraska.

_0v8XtUSIZuaYHP3AC8f-XZ01Bc73UsZc5kihkhRtIx1whQKaE6Q8aAdIW24QZWOJdvcFkCohs4Hk_W-m6LPB0tm3NslzoCzDSD4KnFagE2mLucgwsAFGwLevRuUVWU4V3ISOd_Ou-rOlIHkTJZz2-EDV_dlh_7_J1PL6I6R_D5ERcgmUfQ7U21fPS0uRVm9fsaSBD-AF_WFLcfkiuinTp5kmUL-69nYZTkXU_GA4VhGF4-79beoR6sNB9Wqi8MYHkdCDHIfpeMj6djwjTOFk0SpqmULEU8MuPvQccEuE-qfQiU_zSRf16y63POcKcLf-zWmHPFPbuaLsBaAg19Xq4aR3MoSp7J1t7tnTmdVVXyCV5f0mhCDg7Cu8ZK8pG1Zvy4hVBa9Yq7v_HpGQCaflv7N_5A2hG2f9JK6J2w8px8DGR4ptFFfPyioAL-YqJeWvmFmoZnPFLchsMPpT07QVLvOqloIuUSud8eZzoIFLAf2KRqp3793Ls_--IGJGWBCD9PvXbU9VoftFaGsGOHH1hRef_mnKR-r2RZTpZZVSUvkDH-T8lMu3X2fOoK3Q-lnD4ukoEf3AkSDZ3cE_OgOTIVEKHlUOFFa2YzfAYjI3P51gZk6nmgl=w1217-h812-no

We had a four-hour drive ahead of us, through nothing but rolling, empty sand hills. Not much to talk about there, as we plunged straight into the heartland of America. But even here, in the middle of nothingness, we saw signs of the greatness that awaited us down the road. Those same visionaries who created a towering work of art in the Nebraska prairie saw to it that any pilgrims making the journey would not lack for the comforts of home along the way.

IyvMBnNQD677clvq-bqJKXv6eNij87UGAKbVG4spe9Ei__WMJ1pdgoCmw29sNEGHqQOb-gtfKIIzMOYwc481JjDKDZtOLPXBG0ckukqZwsnYrAE3riGebr_nhSIXj1uGiXmZDU8YTIspmzJ1kaFdzuQo2em7DB8E4cufROBy_xApTlM_y4HpjQk-fTvqDJxFi1o5RpsBhuHoHu8bK-6IZ3MVvRJJuMebmbU8B2cPdRbHctxt3G2HWRM_MjNhUT-UeGIoBRcABBSmHkk5UZ5APKmKABEaF1zOpm9uP0LHw9YmBbomfGWTK3Z1TX4Ue3iKOpcTytiUSC7Ta5a0Q73scgWIfwXUwgDPTqv-DekueEw_5nazk0WTP8IwVgNtHYn8mUunqxw7ExLthZ5EzisFUh3APcgG8_T-J79xUaoOEv5GavyhdKXtvVvGFJDTzH4hriDC_daUlGBNPLpkTJDvyj2zMPlvsh24rzFpXDWtzaxvjzPgKPl9WZQqEsLOE2kKSSoNWvv_rtkYxXTlqlq2R1OVwG9RWJ8SzNEo7AJZaqg15UGnFW9s7XCu7rJkN8eLRmxY9lFXcchUbzAfxo_KLIkccqoVHIqSzRxLKozCfkmw0mFrRAQo=w1217-h812-no

After a restful break, we drove just a few more miles down the road to the northern outskirts of the sleepy town of Alliance, Nebraska. We pulled into a nondescript gravel parking lot. And there it was, simply laid out in front of us, basking in its own majesty. It needed no introduction. No fancy visitor center. This hallowed ground simply needed to be experienced.

mreTbhMXfAv_kLLQuSDPRK_qfr1VyYHNrUspLOXCrg9z3HNpkiqp85vuXJ57oB2zuQXxIVUFbWuKt9vmfGJNKY4dC1-8Kzjca9KFycnn-Wz7nAQZyi-t9iqhZedMo1MP5OJH8gtp00LE0_8xI2WHr4cpn6XKcatWtLmZQ369senTqg0r0lK14xie0CScSCceMs0nYgwXyMY_vtz0hng9305pxCUjnZZh5xGcFmyddedCfTHXHXttBSr7-NJ4NwrY75IUDGd53O5XC8k3AuNh_OkdghGBRHB9_N1PI6jPNevRrnuy2Fvklw9Gf3lS8sg7R6UXgGQnx8D6TojRW3sXdrcGLxMtRJED1XMPBGLQHMyqR3KlWqz4FdBCnWEKynO3mAxAlApjEzm4KlRgJIsoddePplmYEcoY7vlmNuAXIDYygPIzSofcnrSjyAgly6RwWT7BOM8yr5L-4s0yLJS5bSViOnLUUFNc2Ed8cZ6M7h3V-CIn-DEMWlJYIloqwaOO555Upf8jfdPk6Sp3wWVITBHlDV-0x_yzWDa8qE5_ps41hYr92WM_zVRkiNwSSusVa9LPVOnYbfbYochnz-9Hhf6JQFkb0yFQwvmy4Hh3NBqX4eoltBPn=w1114-h835-no

etjeJaLYTT5onB4aR2eo0eSoFR_BjN_rqGSxHud5xlU4Vg-auQD3oosDmKUwlFIljFPnE-S1JBI7FGkE3m-lVsTjkJUInDT0FnmgDh1uGeMygPemAYV5_TXblLY2qq_o8I66_HwTDS8jBYASPkQ7si-d-Pr5K-OQZJ5cWeotgNqwhgebN5hBLN3bXC8cWl-NVWnxNVU4G7utuiOl7aHo7UdusWGvtMqNayHf0rYeM8zbk1_Uh3Mw5sY5f3thWB98yBRUwK7LtmJr1K-dlS4zQihpGfp6hqN9uJxv1biW2t8fHfPNz1rktBdFuTdKwCV-fYkNvwwAfyxFhGTrpDFcKLNoJgURMejE6Tlej7uCsRYd618vcXiDaX1DaDsC3NSkS0wSVN1V1ydM2q-JvyYjruJTZK1xs68aYnttH--vAF1PQS6-KpE00pEf8tzQnM5DfzKikSs-X6ttp9-2RDGToEVabj7dobfQGpEddKUJfUsc-z-S6QOgjzg5mFsSlIeVr7eTYMHBWDNv1h8D8yQNv1-J-AgOw5XsL22mmO39wIcdxe2MRQHQN8TxX5vWG-wbW-uwf-CL8Tb8TlbG98Idt2KM7aGMSRZILRYmoPW48tpOvEZsWoGm=w1217-h812-no

Simply breathtaking, isn’t it? Words simply cannot describe this achievement. The kids were overcome with joy, either at finally being able to see this place with their own eyes or at being able to get out of the van for a few minutes.

ucsR_WpwTjjP6rYQ8-vmuaDfh_-rwbb7j50SKcxd7b_KMo2Exk67R5lOnNP80rM6gXtj_YcIfs6QPj1vJNe1Erd2FibIwQmgydCNatVcT2_t4ZiSSzdtLgbIklKezXil1F8tPhk4E5uiNkYPrc8fh6PsZfQlB6kdbbTPGm_1e706N8draxzqFIYqIB-qZdOZ2kFz9vc5cU_ArgbD_pmvGwsTM8TDpooEQfLCHFDNesueXGlbx1mASl0dwF2Y2Nx3SrLyjRVJX1wjj6z5Xes5QtdVxZsf2eYMb3kJlQbxHiatO4T-ARQIdX2a3uWEzPAyWpGMMqqtAn2cpVte7Muti3Pi_cAJXINh7bSO_ISy-UbWxVelOdFC88xADBXcVJnWFoFNfesU62sgdypfxZRHP_LMO0bv1-75DrXqMHDdGbL_-CTsyd5NzcxWd2Mt1nvaHkRSTFIvlZJndT80w7Me4hkhYsHdwQfZ1AFQovW10VYz9I5D9K8BmXDfGzzpKEsofcyJ_kA5xxOXZKD5qx_E9DWYaNZYiHU9TfHnGpy18CVxYky5htfvFZ8QixG7jBhhQw7Vhd0gGNHvSviTBWKjns9DcMJY7gOSbnuJI9ZWXgg51sNI4mVZ=w1217-h812-no

Or maybe it was the chance to let off some steam by pretending to Hulk out.

Py-HWX4369gD1kdkUuZ04wncARw2oyORVmp2xVEEW22Czv-TAQ3y598LTrgtrELCa8TF6kKpRNcOvz-_QRfLiLMkfsd158-P1qimN4IgTYASh-EPVeNGDoFLw2keOQ92hf9YWfaM93rHhoPPHRo4Ox9VL0tznqlN8_KSfLuVTIJzCCA2VRwDstUOfMLMGzn1Vti_44RErTV8t4Y8X1KsrQIdE1teyX7LldbnLQ52vzmwF4Sd5w7OhtRTWpqyijqX6LhQOXLWjL0mj7JEN7tQyE4EDrmLW5V0yGM-CaSp_vQd8wbsNwEhfOJO4ANrXjjDykU3Rn3cHB1vmpOQqDLGWs8etKmTu6OGROMRgh-J8A2eyeTKmURaCxQUUPDp4xJZU4MNH7a_jlA3lodS1Vr2OOV89hc4EcsJwfssXVPybjbRXWrJdX4j8RJjz9qRSYYxe6uWXlBBBm9bGbq5mBQ-kas9cgaaEc-PO7WtIGBPUy894ySqDBfnyW4ms3xxisrquAd7CYSis-IVGwpTam4MgQViCH9sDwBuyQHBlGzKwmPfyX4tDdiWlM0kb6U2s7P82KFQP9DAKosO5b-hG2tEBDXInjn1BWl7DxPq6T3D0TSb7N96D6Z_=w557-h835-no

Q7PZfPEgXmh7s7w60BkTwlrjI3cPMSJMuTA_p9ZbwmRN85WzslFctro5SLUwVRkmcmCBQyXYxONPlF-phoUfsEcjglbNIAMjBAq2ntZ_in38OW8UDmTu14ywSl0uqhi-bMEyM0zQxIhW_QVNPEqquG_iJlKm2OusVolu_C-Bz7tT9lRTSRJ5E9_PWlWEwqeThni-Saa-8H4P9V4Q6lYgINfizngZHSSi6NR_ovcZ4UHj0t2jNF_-MSfoZ95zeabBGQNWlndStAmvXl1WmUlKwWYVVPcv5VPsSY6odNBuW6l2NZDVwDaQki9TkRkFfg3AHQ0gTt2y-GIDWVvN2jt1pza4VCPbntOmBTxks_AwEmYaN7-zS5ldNN0-brBSNwWJxMkPNbSnaVxHYHqiYclAQ-K_vmmnl0xBuGVaORi39Fv4bPw-aUXeBF7X0Z7WzcdLy_81-m4uzPaUrO15iiOBtvCnswun_e3icfbBkoqQI89t3mPH44JD5cIBDtlQwtIcJtVa8Do9qV8lTgKSuMkR0kY6dAVlGxW6YNUxp-TpsQCdj9J26rNejFfc-VDFBkcVYdYN93_XQeF3gOxmnAtZ4fk95epcCsOquy62t04CpyF-bxdY6AMS=w1217-h812-no

-3Sdpls-x1R2KjzIjNG8LjV19mljeBFhfh60ZIBQvCVJf7y88EsT6XTAuiQCePH2hGKU7fK3n7byhhSJ1Yt62abB-QBtA7sErHwAsCCVyrS2OIoXcpiWzfqllPt05qF8O5cke1D_z5RnD1cf0113hDLUp4yFoiTojy-nlmmVEPi2WWbF48-o52Xo7mIj4DpzgfgJdLDRa5QDgd3B3hpBc0KBUSy9roCXK6ToDuRcDE2baYRL9YButJyQEyfPnRfEDNKPVrq9otXkzIG_decLA9u77jGqFbdVa0WkmkZeRhX6jor-amNTVDXMZ7QUH2i68pc6igRQy93CTWdLi6zKAerNgu6phoCzz6NQDF_dmxw-tkOdw2tXB7inVbQ5saahKYFBkX8KA3gl6vahPLaYOh6nn7rIu22R8f67KcQ9wpFiH0GTOjcnKTF4vHzZaFlDb1ZWeNm5R3o2gCDP4CM0KeaG2o3x4uuJN512i5RXaywAA_nXW5gDYfMvKzmjEKdZJ-OYNptSzjSGtRk-UMlUjxlfj0ZJg5taKqCzf9u4WR-3M-QwwpEx45mBwGNSicFDgnhSTGkyTS4iGhsmq1AQI-VeYffjiydOfP_wSiMwwNcNvkao1dtd=w557-h835-no

You might think that Mr. Reinders built his ode to Stonehenge and called it a day, but you’d be wrong. This is more than just a replica piece. This place is a museum of modern art. Walking paths lead you around the various pieces by heretofore-undiscovered artistic geniuses.

lmaosSK8a0KxvyM0tIeKyMcsyD71-i7n6ij5c5Sqloh_t3BVwv3X_pjYal0H3KpP8VMCG71h5bLfuKqy_-bz-nPq4uZ7YO3SsUuKp487qJ_qM24kQZG-XKbPd0UJzAGLyvdlFaxzNr3BJeVBbxwg-e6f51r5opwDj_70vZ2qHkS08tlOSDj47MSX4wxM0WHzpMl_eI7MKqOQQcUR-WE2XTzE5oJ5FtyOlweUmIGdv3iq0pqeID70faL7UcI4vBOhPFxbs1I3i1jnc3bGCOUCkZG3Do0a7c4oRhExW6P-NNcIYBHiG4Vn3u6SJ3Y5UQ5SwYIkJCP-KBhPcqGfHF1Gv-Qb96srm5TSsVaY-KKskiLB-jE9Q7Yvx2BiaCxLe3i4YYpjr8E-j-lO0t6KwA8L55gDnQp28CC_ZOS2QBYK_oizByyTevId9_w0vmBcWQXaP7XG-Qn7yS4KtpMRT39Xanbwo-WTOgKOGvSLuY5-rZSTrkUuAVNvXZEfctzN75I5oD5ipY2KhUKL_5aSm4D8M9-JONrSZcYYOjEV4tCgg1MIRrMxcnqYpBGBnlARY35Ay9FCyNL_eYuC7OPHc4tZSaRJTa769cdBl9sZ1gzrczDOJ2RdNt7n=w1217-h812-no

Such as this thing:

EqKFPjokBP0RY-ju-XH_f2dR2UrpDLyP85Anl5fNhVyOdzo0-YbMZ5C4F8WWRGwMYbN381J4IejjqRRfW5-nJcHKMi9onLmcjPmDt87L__sPB_dq296yIa8Eg1xegBRtxpJ6jblhXeaDYv5ZrOBeVMBne8WOCx8H9hpTtSfy9WxpJPdWP6vg7NcKvBlM1R96ZHhUfCY3Yg8FE4hbnS08piTe6uBr0YXpDl8_QjCxyoP-uduEIH2Wh3wakFBbbG47Mbb-pVOrhPMWKj1UPkgHB6f6idbiHDE2hKZk5UpZuk59S0fdV1L9A6hvzLxwRhtYRmMQReWBylghJvXOb3A31I-G1iWhUWOT5kklwu-rHArbSYiEnzew0m6YxjWOidmgxCuorqzn-qCmDEHuRJULohItBwBFUXl3jCdizsGDeOevX4_chFhsD0PUt8ryTvZJy2sbkyceqBeBn_suf7sOof5vJgZtgVlxwl3jIX1_KXdPxgvEMwvGPZaF1BvCJGeTXrIsQsI_TgB6cNdDXhavrgbbcUvVGZI8CKSIJ6EEWtIgnXrabwsgk9ldYTSTTIkpSSdThf178JkCilXA8SkSk42K8NgflA7vfXKgcMvbd3cEsviLSXwL=w1217-h812-no

And, uh, this thing:

8rz1DV-9oivg8JwH_yTqNv-vzshdmzcvlgDd24KobJ5qtBEINB9BMTa0Rd5CNoYfYPOf-3_cCtRvTlPp2IS2vgEUsCMn7wLbENzlg48zrNRJ5SbUxLOJyDwXcRjSnwQyQsKZ-Px89S5mi89ulywWZdeANBGkdDclrKVJZfmTpqAYs1hkozB5KWaKT9Yr8GHaSlUmJpRqCbVxnouVA2z48EOAHOaP12vptxz2pGZ0LWPecYrOwiu6SJ7oc5tZsgzQiatZZ1vbMnS5DjPDuXue9n3xR-SjeCCtL0RGlbVvCCyFmk_djH3PAUiHGurvKxQa6dHZfLxzedXpWYTciUL8fjSqXOnUszcwTBciApqy86hgTu-aYIpK75EzxkqTK4iUtUqa-hG6UBcYU62SeCrqFBKHQsLmrBur7p0lyBI2ZyeA5tNfokkroKEg1EtX2Xyg0Kc3rAUmIm-CWtaitV3u7glcXeElNzYcL-CgnEGRubMIJ4sVboMnA80hqM4S1sRsK-tAHjTw03W5IAeLOC-1NxE5pXjM6lIoV8Yr8PAXV-3l2nJhmmIVsH_gMOufr-mt5EvL0_xpl8wIcrH24qsUX-lm59rtMo56-2kxQwkXD_9kae-dBktS=w557-h835-no

d-tIKelRojlL3bfCKALeLKMdFiAuVG9xmxuZd9-F0QnAwfYwQkRdHJy-M1fdgnUI3DM1IdG_GuiTDIxQgVn4e3SK2_VKfUnOXDwjfH7hyMaGeQmpwpleJWAIll1kCfq7H0k6wpYfeUZTZ0bBs4WE4qxXOc4L4KMFBleZoZ6i1uNr1eHyWUU6c0k-ASmwkk73drGsjzIKPYeNf2Ni8xK27kSeriH5IL_FDdQ0U_5be7z2P49V-hIbRliT4pRIjZYJub-2qV-7XU0pssIZOTgTfK58R3gWj9yztn5iArSVhrIBSgrGR0iaaW4ng2OiLg-kNnQIDQiGCm_qWSJHdMLiSrME3DzcOBGcqS0pq0dZOLsGH-99fHVi3efWAGrfbv3jf5Fn3ChcuIv1kryiLZwWhQW3e21US60zQWo4iL61biEIlvVThqk-5UuPJAYS0cgSsktJKNmyEdTpFD1ZVD4CQd1mTuGIr0B_wANOP3MBNDRsAWOdnBBRTqXItkXx1RLCx5C_Wp3qydm9iFji4MOfTiGnYaeGgSsRZiV8pIutDOMUCT8LnOQcYp1qGsePwkiuHmnEeIhgNJXEKAyrIlEUhBWzwiyQCRSgYsMQ4yQADYDd6hg1X4jN=w557-h835-no

Overwhelmed by the stunning beauty and awe-inspiring scale of this sacred place, we lingered and soaked in its majesty for…oh, I’d say a good ten minutes. But moments like this transcend time. Indeed, if you asked Julie, she’d probably have said it felt like time itself was standing still. Later, we took advantage of the convenient restrooms in the gift shop. (Of course they have a gift shop.)

We finally had to tear our eyes away and head down the road once more. I looked in the rear view mirror at my children, with their eyes glazed over as they stared at the screens of their electronic devices, and I knew that their lives had been irrevocably changed forever. Carhenge had rendered them speechless, I was sure of it. It took me a moment to clear my throat, and find my voice, before I could ask the kids what they thought of this place.

“It really was something,” said Sarah.

“I’m glad they had a bathroom,” said Scott.

Dave ignored us and played a game on his iPod.

Drew asked for a cookie.

And that, my friends, is why we travel.

niKMCFe44l5xr5B9DdajY0EF1RFPY9fJLwmIOachd_rK5FFLZF4I0outv-ePEBx7DucvC0uZ76vbs5Om8pttR_Dh4_RSBfq-KJisLRK55wcXQfQYFqn5xC-9vCsv99_zABL2Vh0ZhBvfzRc73RedWUSC2fvElstS54cy4tnMp3kMP9HIAnBMxzGOn_LZrrIS8pRjY8_iGULzC3rBVWBBjJSq8D6-3UXIPz-jv-qVrvSPk8w20IWQHsI6nei-N5XV4xiuf9V4994lRTFnizrwGtBJIUpH9e5wmJ_alwPz1Ai1rPcXSY1OCXoORUCI3gtbWLGRkMqIKwxjcrYsspnR08u78K3aQrTEA9CIyllnuhYpInDsytO6ePgr_W0W1bLAZOwinD1nlPIW3bplkKihfJSeprHf60lTKuFFN6ToRDHz7k2B-Lj_btV10FcXDgnUX1m6wfkBOgcFCMImtFS4AcsF9qb09w2MNimp-H-VHQiKm33Se_49XaEjPNESrU4DCiPRqjAikPtFejPgh8sq-6y7-Ket44HEV4pOI45p7sDp4kTyR8hJeNpKazjFkoYnI0iEWrRTxLDJIC5AH-pHr8rXFsIBAbtDGg0jSsSVl4DBqiHyskFi=w1217-h812-no

There was still more to see near the end of this day, although I fear it will feel underwhelming given all that has come before. Late in the day, we approached the town of Scottsbluff in western Nebraska. Scotts Bluff National Monument is on the southwest side of the town.

o3WJzqi9OWIUzrcd-xXEfA2lcZhgDGTy_kYHlBl5AvzaEuhOH5qYvhQ3W5v4GmIB1o1cHBqH_3l8OaiKMpHHDJmeTDzQ5uBoFRe8IzqVQmlq2Go9LPKorhrqvLacBCWifz6OkVczcJAxgzD6N7c8AyOn_bfMljJ_Fy_KFpdxNmQiNybXTWRTFCess-e7k0uhUeN7CHRlEg1iPXAb0i_vRoMK4N2X-9ej7aNtjkfsSFjuDRH4wYSr_JeJChUAGI5KHr8_UM-zim-6cMf_4ox9LyHxO29jeBFhPNvYQtY2SYmfAFubIk0V4C8PVcpphHhCZnNUSzaE7t0TOamPz1gRC-IIsXtIDRXaXh_DUtTr8fNPDYbmbIF1uIW7NrUKMKdShtgCe47y9pBmuKO2nw3Oc0d_QaHOczyj01G44Q1OMXAa4xjEVVafn8HmlzbN_Kn38W2J58H5eoY3uVdA-cE8-86x0d0wqFPr_onLykge2pQd8EGEhNFE4P1qOEdhZNEhT5deYWxrycSbcTffc0PhFn0BEyWyFeYEJHPgz2F9b8hpKb97YCTiF3HbykhvEVGV3Hf8OXOet6tU9Jz_K-KFhzbxLFka8MzayhMC8m6yJ3qYuuCXfwsy=w1217-h812-no

Scotts Bluff was a major landmark on the Oregon Trail. After traveling hundreds of seemingly endless miles across the flat Great Plains, travelers would be relieved to see the bluff standing high, signifying that they were finally just about done with Nebraska. Oddly, this same experience is reported by drivers heading west through this area today.

As we approached the monument, we entered the gate and could see dark clouds forming to the west. There’s a short road that leads to the top of the bluff, and we decided to drive up right away so we could see the view before the storm hit.

Looking east:

pleOtg6q80_RDy9qFBjkRfBzZWmvMPf2qN-gqeDronyL1pLZdpcESmKBlgmM2EsdrQw6bUkZPOx1pygd-7Ke6zM-9gRCu4vMvYZTXq7UcgvtcdtZ4UFBZQAQ6Vhk6bE6mKoX-c47ngtqPCnpK3Z0yVMySIelHafZSTEL8gM_6rd7ZEliNIA1yhpCsJBftq_x_8tMtdSw6kZhCNquHYd1VByL1Vj2s0Ar1yIPZg6gup7WfGqwkDMGUJ2PycRfnLJIFifKbN8djZcJa8fRpIGFpX8t8iNMlggknSVlRGa-nDBeT5zUe7T3gGjAwFdn4JJ5csDcRg1Wa73uw3OHacjsOHgcM9xWns3TKCgXTYtQ7ZWeNd9f-YF13ltnsygoNhZN_16AxRe-1-lrYNgMjiNsEvpfbtEujexrNBsaxznMtm8-_YH4yYZIEHIvYQlzDbXLbLXNdT4B_etJMSYtrFr1IGSmZcO6D3Bno1ccIfZZakY2-HlhUOluKvQ6aBUJ0GjretbCASbIHDbKl_QakElpWbmN31u84R0fip0R2-JLkP1GFr-dppvGMqf5AgLf1RcoOQ9RDvH-sexcJKq4W_5VqhN7rBxu5EZtVr9YLwPN6oQ1TOf5QG0w=w1217-h812-no

And to the west:

S6z_utfpveT4C-WVafc2uIzzYH3Oz7phvhdzm0hRRssklgcKwSWxewrEaGvrd-ndwPAJ8bnvcNa7OzxzhM8fnIcQk1ycikH49gagoCCy1c4HfXKI3jjA5gSWAD1lM-DAYiZIlkKYgtREyJSMN2z0qB_wQRk6p1QW1B3itpB8Ru9qY4xOGQCCQ7z5XXw0YSFdt7ey1DkkqY40o3IVEgabbKl-X5U4szLSRSIc0JZD1Vd7YZtizybky4SDeilzFfCvsGh-OcB0WE5Y0eLxiaGHaJc5FMH8hEFPmKy9exAL8EPXE7Tmf6v7G-oP0au8h900fEJQYOyglTHiYkMPhoTZTDk0xcgUgyYlqkdJRnh8upRUH799mm9dZATTpV1Tc1BHnS48CwSkvbQDeaevJ2SPuqMTPdsbcHuoupPIUF89gLRsWVOm6KsUWXGeQHyUR2-xeIvNYeGLJ7gIiwKs0kHytoUVW8opRYWV_tQfVob9jRvzc-ljtGMhiMlbAbAF6ntObUqWn_N58VGzSBe4Vb74BPDRPXjqLuqr05aT31BoPWa97JRPvJwUx_D3-gf3-E2XVsEOutbyiSycUZAHJo9-jwp6Vu5yRiOPreN_x-g-RaaTQ62Xvdxu=w1217-h812-no

At this point, we could see lightning strikes in that direction, but we tried and failed to capture any of them on camera.

ra7tuwwCj8eeZl_T86jsV-GYPx-GxnAJL20ei2yM7miDPZUAO28coy1r7RW3YmEZNnP4Zu4shcrfCQcHbw-YFKFWQYxe8aGR1gTUkg7RaqqiarKHHcCdFgNb65UXyj-Z9nWvMKgvcHBBMH1fzk4Dm_3YERgcjQ0Tn4cXf-gOThjGWAkVDBl5BIHiFHtG-UAG8Nv7ck2NQUxZ-LDTG09KAmURG4GyjjumEvMEmK0eMMvhg8Z9AeT9sVqOdVlkIKw6DUv_XzDBojFlOcLC3wWg_mKaY-qs_bmcOVpPLwg9_RcFyMhf93j2hmTGMUY9qJHWwlUQgeyFc6gn_b3Hw-kQz_10FAKp9EFCkqKtw6lMhh-LA2uXhpeYIeam8NdNfccU1LbHvL4TMWW2ltEEQfmYMvzc3mZwFYiu0sybdsnTApRRyHYmkgAo2tC1pFMItAuPtzt0jCpkibV-vC3H983bZPZ6LMyD2Hpi_U96v5Wtq5kVDLEZHf-NYzZdfJTV7Lut1cBwlaHUfPQQDX5Pd_pjk3AUg1_2AYE_3ioobrhJAzDy5DW1fvDYrEhebbdxc9I9gf9aG5F2QybFWVNb3zlF-yruoq2wSskd_mpH23QLYmZll1u8qIXS=w1217-h812-no

After another 10-minute McVisit, the winds started picking up so we high-tailed it off the mountain back down to the visitor center, where we did the usual stuff like stamping our passport and working on Junior Ranger badges. It was late and the park was closing soon, so we made the executive decision to have the kids finish the workbooks at the hotel, and then we’d come back in the morning to get their badges. So we left and drove over to check into our hotel.

7HFm5FhYGd_EkD_hde5zDwXzP6BXFXsqgc8l4uAxAXd0SXzrewmbdN--czXnMp_Nqmy-oNiB2-MbkPLkHQgYf3tSmgLlpVCdS0kbXIV52wgAr6_jmvWofsdGyCw_ETrD_BAoVBZttKhunInaZIhozHKnEdq0IiaFUNBSjyuf3geujMv-Hemw6J1KslfX9p3MsEbxtYLD9YLyt3FxD2vMd1hPjj4SOiqywwGxPao6e_CFuse_yXcPLVTPw0iBunuTsw79a0lAfzWP2I6mOaR7bUBXeE-mvdJOh4qZ_r-2C8maU7_SB1CUWGGhb8O_ar3kY1qQVxB4EUSpTREFpcCT9HC2dzKZSrWLQ9msz8iIN6ll7PhNkiDld3VEvaALewT1F7deTyHH__Ri1rtBdDdwtk3TVK-IKxlfm5rqAfOt-iJMUhT9v2I5syqROs4rIxvo70G6hstt6c7FaUNQlhpSF1n2gWuhM_XhCdUgj-dWf9Y15gZk2wnyV1wOAip6wop3P1qBzmS5jTXJrNPqPPZ4TpZBvLh7g98Nj89ZLgEAzgGNFPGINa2y8HE9X3l72rvgT1eyDrU07GtqqrqQ3zoQIQxFQ_ghs8OJ3y8ekcKWI9UN5fYqS0W6=w1217-h812-no

Pickings were slim as far as restaurant choices in Scottsbluff, but we found a place across the street called the Whiskey Creek Wood Fire Grill. I was in the mood for barbecue, so I got a pulled pork sammich.

WsRXYduh_ypAtuCBseaX5gR7ZvVcyrFM8uWOtm-la9GASEQaC449i19XuMhA3HYSHJaes6JhH-1V1U-LjlTLqx-v6i_KMaCD__OlCwk7pYaV3k1vlxHX2n57c9fjY0zDNwNypUetwoaj6Au1bB_xMtko7uG9LvipoVlGu3FdDEg0EydO_f7w6gyRmGNeiCVSqwwS21HO5KS-5hZSvF5qPbHDcZ4RBLXRKejI-G-l9XwyUDJ6W1FIWKLnDAtg9pRGHDhH6zIvQRkTVhcs6ZCVVP6O2Ik-OKe0aw1Q3vLx2LGy5eGXw9uzymHLjYqMlGqMDfOL6CtW7L5DmJ51M6FWhbcC4Dli3QA2oA6wIstx6tdlZpcNYt9EY8Svhkxv7FxhoenPtQgTGBfUUuuFeOJk_0foKEJu8EC39lyv20nAjumwyScKcC_h_VjvM145i_hvKMiB7B3OAg7JLfqrMqAne-2J6ykAeMKzMA2cpqa5ykkbrKLSbgSRv9g-LMDGcTOfTyn-rv894qwAsH9zlajqEelHP4g95PvIj1OucePEonhD-102BAkc6zg7NHnFRtxYMknXxkXYMQDTu8hWB4Y0XisFdaquYOlRPPc645W9bd2kXZWHJSkA=w1114-h835-no

Julie wasn’t overly hungry so she opted for a tiny little soup-and-salad combo.

GDCyAhC5fVEx3_bZVrl1cGVgLUDBMQ2nCEjP-96S3nPwSuz6yeFQlaYN2H4a0ibMIwAEZR2uu7xWHJprFmk60r2TepXwUGMTz1RX2JFcxsAK0bcb33sbPD0LekIgpAfvWLOJz_olFTqYpxajc9EM3Vskz37PpKHI-jWWQRpebSrR_M8KWqY6seUOb7fGs_jCVIxPUcYYHxHyFRbyxTjPV22EL9UTToaHQCRluw3AeVj08SjhOBAW81dKqlEYaxSZzka5Bs1KHJ1oDGBMqMvqkFqHgqeTXucKnmD2lTXq4iqaREn7_T_7iyMB0MWE9SzDK-eDXxZBHcxoxIVebS43m2Tj8dvc7ptdWzDtDRiBxJeRTrQFo_BjDDsvWVjmfn9wxAO2hpyKei9lpvXFDDpAWuEYVCCcnx-JJWdO4Vnrw1TgHsmZ52mLoW_QBpQ6DsSQW806jJpss6GaN5gJRDQy-PsK3Uaxn6jPml7ZsnGELrOs5iW84N35BMd-iQt13HhSsC9yVKE5siX-gghXkrBuIDGCSQ9Mco0Yplfc4mKIfkLp5rbQxI9uL2UVuT0YarTmNRUQpZ7D-yZkNMiN6ri5WdJgdj-ZYdSQioC1eUGiisk7g1iOru8y=w1114-h835-no

Everything was fine. It was another place that fell into the “good, not great” category. Dessert was better. Julie got a s’mores kit that included her own little grill to roast the marshmallows.

eaEYqWd30Ax8hpo1oAhcrBYD_qiEk0pCcj9KMnfG8xfNNvjDuJctOepMlXVHJaqQopLVSSTf-hI8fNp0KbJF6F0ReY6gVUTANFdix-asBMom7DEPOy7tcgTCaKKwlwKHNQHZvzzSsNhfrvidt4igZZ6aVJ6_ct-ZZPQMvcGwHyAyRmt_P6sF34-p7Fp_SsGVg-ILffY6uxVBPYD55s8_TfNTFblUK9bgbp1XdNXYGqKt_jHRY3g387J-EygBz9JuXtz6MQB-Dd_adMyCJyjvaGPcDoMGU5xqHn4X4LVOFq-qR8qECT_kyR5789MTyDnvcKWy_Gde10JPlHTm3nRTNgL-WpTSfXj5iYzGxiG6lbVSVZ2ASV4hxu2cYO2ZYdajjCrIufmQbEvjeONfB9ytAPyEgcQFAz76ByzMRZ9XoVZzD0wcz1KSv5gvxUO9hESOUyYahD2dvqxjzs7SHQAau0FDGHvCkbSlepZpJCt4fPkP0S2qZOoh0MeNoIAzPeN1XOoZ7vhuZflEGBJxbe56sRVR9v34PPipB2RzkO2Kkhod_zd7UzwYJmKCfMIhmmMNIg_X6OPmtf562IW-ixe4yscL8QrIIiS2YpmHWbsw6-9ZB3ctQxDG=w1114-h835-no

I got a giant bowl of peach cobbler. I do not regret this decision.

WsxADGqDLWDzQ-ln6MC2lz85-i9MyBeRM_lHM2uEg_5TsHUI5q_6K_62AmFk2E8Uv7QDidAMNmr2YEbdQqnw0pdSY70vuTAsUwK7OgH8PwE6YlcrKSUE4WET8qv7ybNQ8H2Kbl7G9gmKsXSAbYjk6FlcZ9eWV6w4hH6QatWqOaa8wI1KxdbdztXgc_KMkALxSHYD90L9sn7Ka-GedMs-xdwm9BC_EDIwgB6OpOwBy21hmNWskekDjaRSna4s-rIlD1bVOz4FYAVX9is7g36vzscfdN8_x3stOffrMl7IafQVRg52yZs6s-AjHRo_TuenyToTHVgDY4Q4AUToJL8quwUNRpyWGHdRWGJhX3lK36JGG_1irtn124gKPttDt1VlNWNRcojdX_9U8on3WPXe2Ap4cWe0Iv3PFmZpnY1vB5pJ0wEARhhu2JIEjEWWHJbu2kFnJSpeMfziQke2H38M6wJNqt0xifu8Jw_9iscow_QHYRsbHIz4u9WtS8E0a06_Wf2iTuzSOYS4xTBIHQdYKYyhM_Nv8Bo5zM2WI29qN7RihFhs96oGlM71JnuxaDRtTyFodW0nx6s_vRzzd7qIYdqQA95WUJNJdohLZDKCqU_65Gzh1vLV=w1114-h835-no

The storm passed over us while we ate, and then we made our way back to the hotel. Tomorrow would be a long driving day, but I don’t think any of us minded at that point. This was not a time to fear what lay ahead. It was a time to quietly contemplate the experience we’d shared that day. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we’ll never see anything quite like Carhenge again. Hey, why is everybody cheering?

Coming Up Next: Hey, remember that exciting chapter about our drive across North Dakota? Well, now we’ll do the same thing in Nebraska!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter