• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

For those who were interested, this is the sign we got from the missile site gift shop:

LDtqGZjJNSZLfSxSdYHES_phZpaZqGpXxj-cfKYZW_OKgju2-o4N-XF1AVauo3mr59gQNGMv3CrSYc7Njf4exYuLxP2XK50NcHVEtLozjut_IktQRuqDpoGvogwvefLK_Hrq9PBbFNQG4QDP5-RDU0Qtz8M79d8PCTArzRNWvQv24PNhjySuauFUfM6-dT5QcYdb_WsFusJxaEQ2ohX6rd6A32T_-G4xHzPSADNcRFv8GXxiaWOrrhu_xyo8wlUN_8GytqHJvfW4HhwwmMsW64xz2I9PC3GtrnbaZkM7EfolAZr4Z9php6lwj9tUGkSVetRFyDIHLpXSWZVa0M1x-LWtKrAbthkzmToHf1g7YHW6o9_12iTkpQ1Bwt42L1p8_vOxuNgFQ48C9_RBdzT0hUCOkVe_D8dKbgjtMr8FZ5Bd_SNpPfbns038KHkwqfscqnkiQ6huK6W1ZDfzMmcQN5n7uCmEIhW6TdCsqy6I7nOlL0mqnBAcP6Op-VZsnoUnaekw7CAcGh9mRx0fSz6eznNxIiCU9l5naAqgOzt8Dw5T3GYGU44GGSDJwSVbllDkgL4KB6dTarDe4nzwZmXQYACCig9bTh3M6J2BnJjTSbGpf3E-=w1112-h834-no

Oh - that makes you look like you visited Berlin (Germany, not one of the many Berlins you have in the USA). :goodvibes

I will stir and/or need to use the bathroom somewhere around 5:30 a.m

So, you're old like the rest of us.

Drew will start making noise right at about 5:30

And he's a very typical (and annoying at times) toddler.

So at the risk of being redundant, it’s a great idea to go early and get to your attraction when it opens. Also, it really helps to go early at opening time.

So, what you're saying is, "Same Story, Different pix".

Our friends hadn’t arrived yet, so we bought tickets for them and picked a time later that morning.

Didn't we already do it this way the day before? Do they have a family like ours that can't get it's crap together on time?

You can only look at so many photos of rocks, right?

Tell that to Mike- who looks at them all day long. Every day. Your short answer is yes, unless you're a geologist.

It wasn’t very strenuous

Even with the burger on board?

Just NO!

So, at the risk of looking stupid(er), how do you know it's ok to go? I mean how do cars know they aren't going to have to back out of that thing?

Picture 116-web.jpg
Somehow, dh managed to do this on our trip. I'm trying to remember if he backed in, because I have no idea how he would've gotten his shoulders through there!

OK small comments here as I am so far behind every where!

I know that feeling quite well!

I will also be doing a small piece in my own TR about waking up early and address your questioning of my ability to do TR updates while on a trip. You may be surprised that we find it difficult getting up at the crack of dawn! That is I will update when I get caught up on the many TR updates that others have posted over the last week.

I may have heard that about you guys once or twice...:rolleyes1

The jewel cave looked cool. I don't mind pictures of more rocks. I don't quite get how the bacon fits on with the rock.

It was a weird formation. Amazing what water and minerals can do over time.

Nice that you could go back to the room for some lunch. Nice that you had more than one night in the room and a place to return to!

Yes! That's always a nice feeling when we don't have to pack up in the morning. Pretty rare for us.

I'm not sure how I would feel about spending an afternoon in a campground in the rain. I'm going to hope you had So Cal rain and not real rain, otherwise it could be rather uncomfortable.

It wasn't a big storm. We were comfortable under a tent and talking with our friends. You could do much worse.

The road through the mountains looks cool! I have no idea where you are headed!

It was a neat drive! Definitely the way to approach Rushmore (oops, I just gave it away!).

That makes you uniquely qualified for the position then.

Hmmm...too late to run now?

would be nice...
doubt it will happen.

Those college payments won't last forever...I hope.

Yep, that's cool.
I'd hang that up on the door leading to our garage.

Well, I would if we still had a garage, that is.

That's exactly where we put it!

Oh - that makes you look like you visited Berlin (Germany, not one of the many Berlins you have in the USA). :goodvibes

Well, I have been to Berlin, Maryland. It's near the beach, so I don't mind going there.

So, you're old like the rest of us.

::yes:: A thousand times yes. I'm starting to feel it. And I'm getting older every day! Which is better than the alternative.

And he's a very typical (and annoying at times) toddler.

::yes::

So, what you're saying is, "Same Story, Different pix".

Pretty much. I work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Didn't we already do it this way the day before? Do they have a family like ours that can't get it's crap together on time?

To be fair, they have 6 kids, 4 of whom are under the age of 7. I can't be too hard on them.

Tell that to Mike- who looks at them all day long. Every day. Your short answer is yes, unless you're a geologist.

I suspected as much!

Even with the burger on board?

Takes a lot more than that to stop us!

Exactly. I didn't even bother.

So, at the risk of looking stupid(er), how do you know it's ok to go? I mean how do cars know they aren't going to have to back out of that thing?

Well, the tunnel is short and straight. So it comes down to either waiting for a clear path or the other guy taking pity and waving you through. It all works out.

Somehow, dh managed to do this on our trip. I'm trying to remember if he backed in, because I have no idea how he would've gotten his shoulders through there!

:eek: I wouldn't think that's possible! My teen daughter who is all skin and bones barely fit.

Yup. Glorious, glorious nothing.

I could definitely get on board with that.

All caught up here finally!!!!!
What a couple of travel, non-travel, waiting to travel, then travel day. OY!!! You were troopers and sorry that that your luggage was close but out in the rain. We did get caught in Houston once changing planes during a monsoon but we were going home so the wet clothes were going in the wash anyway.
Way to go in rearranging things but sorry you missed the baseball game.
Missing the one excursion was bad but as always you find the neatest things.

The nuclear missile site looks like a great tour. Caves are always fun too. Linville falls caves are near us and yes we had to disinfect the shoes.

Hooray for Hilton Head. Still on my list of places to go. Glad they opened up when I saw they were still closed a little while ago I wondered how much damage they sustained.

I will try to keep up- work is still a bear but it is better, for how long I am not sure.:rolleyes1

Yeah, our snowplow drivers might have to be in for days at a time. They have to start on the major highways and work several hours to get them clear and then keep them that way. Then they move down the priority list on the major to minor roads. It can take a few days to get everything plowed after a big storm. Delaware is unique in that the state maintains over 90% of the roads.

Interesting. Our city is mostly done by private contractor now. Not sure about the provincial highways.

You're giving me nickels? Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Stupid postal service.
I'll FedEx them from now on.

Hey, we're not on that metric calendar of yours.

Well get with the rest of the planet!

After walking 5 miles both ways in the snow, uphill! Absolutely!

I'm older than you. Mine was 10 miles.

:rotfl2: Yep, sounds about right!

Somewhere around the time our first child was born, I lost the ability to sleep in.

Happens to all of us.
Rotten little ingrates.

I will stir and/or need to use the bathroom somewhere around 5:30 a.m. and will be awake by 6:00. If I make it to 7:00 a.m., I’ve “slept in”.

It gets better.
Well, the sleeping in does. Maybe not the bathroom part.

On weekends, when I definitely want to “sleep in” until 7:00, it is virtually guaranteed that Drew will start making noise right at about 5:30, calling out for Mommy and raising his demands until somebody comes to get him.

Smart kid. Knows what he wants and how to get it.

Also, the same older kids we have to drag out of bed early on school days somehow manage to get themselves up around 6:00 in order to cram as much weekend video game time is as they can.

Really! Wow. Kay doesn't get up til 11 on weekends.
Then again, she's probably staying up til Gawd knows when.

So, stop me if you’ve heard this before:

Stop.

we got up early, got dressed, had a free hotel breakfast, and then headed for our first destination bright and early.

I said "stop"!

Jewel Cave was discovered by two brothers, Frank and Albert Michaud,

Who to this day, are still a little peeved that they didn't name it "Michaud Cave".

They found a hole in the ground with a steady blast of cold air coming out, eventually enlarged the hole with dynamite,

Yup. Typical conservation in the early twentieth century.

The cave is full of calcite crystals,

Cool!

and at first both the Michaud brothers and several others thought they would be able to mine the cave for “diamonds” and rare jewels.

Um. Geology not their forte I guess.

In 1908, Jewel Cave was designated as a National Monument by President Teddy Roosevelt (there’s that guy again) after buying the Michaud brothers’ claim to the land for the princely sum of $750.

Yeah but in todays dollars, that's 11 billion I think.

My property assessment skills are rusty, so I’m not sure of the going rate for a hole in the ground.

About $750.

The Discovery Talk is for anyone, and is just a simple ranger talk by the entrance to the cave.

Boring. Next!

All of the other tours are restricted—it used to be ages 5 and up, but now they’ve removed the age requirement and just stated that all participants must be able to walk the entire tour without being carried. This foiled my plan of having Sarah carry me on her back.

Geez. Then what was the point of having her in the first place.
Stoopid rulz.

The cave is currently the third-longest cave in the world, with over 180 miles mapped so far and many more still to be discovered.

Huh! I had no idea. And it's not that far away.

Our friends hadn’t arrived yet, so we bought tickets for them and picked a time later that morning.

What's with these slacker friends of yours?
Time to get a better quality of friend.

Meanwhile, Drew found a small tunnel for kids to crawl through in the visitor center and we spent a good hour trying to fish him out of there.

:lmao: This cracks me up.

I would have crawled in after him, but you saw the burger I’d eaten the night before. We might have needed to call the fire department to get me out.

Good call.
Plus, it might've squeezed out a fart and then you'd have killed your son.

Now that is an absolutely terrific shot.

Once again, my friend’s wife had no interest in going underground, so she took the littles while the rest of us lined up for our tour.

Ah! I see why you kept them as friends now.

We lined up when they announced our tour time and proceeded in groups down the elevator to the cave entrance.

What was that elevator like? How old did it look?

He pulled open the door a crack and let one of the kids feel the air rushing out of the cave. That meant it was warm outside—hot air rises, so the cooler air in the cave moves out towards the exit.

Interesting. And makes sense.

I’m not going to post many photos of the tour, for the simple reason that most of them look the same. You can only look at so many photos of rocks, right?

I dunno. The ones you did post were pretty cool.

We just thought the lighting was cool here:

I present to you…cave bacon.

mmmm... bacon.
Actually looks really weird. Did you learn how that was formed?

but for the most part the rooms you enter are fairly large and open, with generous metal platforms to stand on.

So no crawling on your knees I suppose.

I’m guessing Scotty wasn’t quite ready for the flash.

Or.... was he?

The only thing missing was a large boulder rolling after us as we exited.

They should incorporate that. Disney would.

As we waited, Sarah decided to try out the “test box”. Anyone taking the Wild Caving tour has to be able to fit through this space.

Crap. Rules me out.

Drew had no problem with it, so we promptly signed him up for the tour and left him there.

:lmao: He's discovering the undiscovered parts right now!

I didn’t try the box, but I did file a complaint saying the tour discriminated against fat slobs like me.

I don't get it. They used dynamite to widen the hole before. You'd just be following historic footsteps, no?

On the way, we spotted another bighorn sheep,

Another one? Man, you guys lucked out.

I so want to drive that.

lots of thin granite towers reaching for the sky (probably because someone’s poisoned the water hole).

It's not like anyone was drinking... er... uh.... I mean... That's shocking!

Holy crap! They didn't plan on large vehicles, did they!

We were in a rental van, though, so who cares? I floored it.

Atta boy! Ramp up the excitement for the family!

Wait, Julie reminds me that I never sign up for the extra insurance. So, we crept through the tunnel very carefully.

Boring.

And the line of cars waiting to go through in the opposite direction.

How did they determine the order? Just first come first serve?

I love drives like this. So much more memorable than the average interstate highway.

The kids all disappeared into the tent with their friends, so we had the rare chance to have some adult conversation. I think we talked about whether you could actually light a fart on fire.

Doesn't matter what the subject is. Adults are the only ones who are capable of having conversations.

This is Rt. 16A, and it’s another fun drive. It uses features such as tunnels and pigtail bridges (where you drive over a bridge and then immediately swing down and under the same bridge) in order to traverse the mountain.

::yes:: Want to do that one too.

There are three tunnels along the way, and each one of them is cut specifically to give you a view of the destination ahead.

Really! That I did not know.

Wait, that wasn’t good enough for you? Fine, here’s a better photo. You’ll never guess where we’re headed in the next chapter.

Arizona. It's Arizona, right?

Coming Up Next: This clue was too cryptic. You still haven’t guessed, have you?

Nope. I got it. Arizona. ::yes::

For those who were interested, this is the sign we got from the missile site gift shop:

LDtqGZjJNSZLfSxSdYHES_phZpaZqGpXxj-cfKYZW_OKgju2-o4N-XF1AVauo3mr59gQNGMv3CrSYc7Njf4exYuLxP2XK50NcHVEtLozjut_IktQRuqDpoGvogwvefLK_Hrq9PBbFNQG4QDP5-RDU0Qtz8M79d8PCTArzRNWvQv24PNhjySuauFUfM6-dT5QcYdb_WsFusJxaEQ2ohX6rd6A32T_-G4xHzPSADNcRFv8GXxiaWOrrhu_xyo8wlUN_8GytqHJvfW4HhwwmMsW64xz2I9PC3GtrnbaZkM7EfolAZr4Z9php6lwj9tUGkSVetRFyDIHLpXSWZVa0M1x-LWtKrAbthkzmToHf1g7YHW6o9_12iTkpQ1Bwt42L1p8_vOxuNgFQ48C9_RBdzT0hUCOkVe_D8dKbgjtMr8FZ5Bd_SNpPfbns038KHkwqfscqnkiQ6huK6W1ZDfzMmcQN5n7uCmEIhW6TdCsqy6I7nOlL0mqnBAcP6Op-VZsnoUnaekw7CAcGh9mRx0fSz6eznNxIiCU9l5naAqgOzt8Dw5T3GYGU44GGSDJwSVbllDkgL4KB6dTarDe4nzwZmXQYACCig9bTh3M6J2BnJjTSbGpf3E-=w1112-h834-no

Love it! But...

... that's exactly what I thought!

All caught up here finally!!!!!
What a couple of travel, non-travel, waiting to travel, then travel day. OY!!! You were troopers and sorry that that your luggage was close but out in the rain. We did get caught in Houston once changing planes during a monsoon but we were going home so the wet clothes were going in the wash anyway.

Hi Pat!:wave2:

It sure wasn't a fun way to start the trip. All you can do is try and fly by the seat of your pants and make the best of it.

Way to go in rearranging things but sorry you missed the baseball game.
Missing the one excursion was bad but as always you find the neatest things.

We keep trying! Research does actually pay off once in a while.

The nuclear missile site looks like a great tour. Caves are always fun too. Linville falls caves are near us and yes we had to disinfect the shoes.

We really do love exploring caves. Feels like Indiana Jones.

Hooray for Hilton Head. Still on my list of places to go. Glad they opened up when I saw they were still closed a little while ago I wondered how much damage they sustained.

I leave soon! Getting pretty excited. Sounds like they re-opened and everything looks good but I heard there was a pretty high storm surge off the river.

I will try to keep up- work is still a bear but it is better, for how long I am not sure.:rolleyes1

Good luck! Glad to hear it's better, if not less busy.

Interesting. Our city is mostly done by private contractor now. Not sure about the provincial highways.

There was talk of doing that a while back--basically giving a private firm a 99-year lease on a major highway and allowing them to maintain the road and collect the toll revenue. It didn't get much traction. For me, part of the problem is that the highways, especially the interstates, were and are a major part of our national defense system. Turning them over to a private entity (that may or may not be from a country that likes us) didn't seem smart to me.

Stupid postal service.
I'll FedEx them from now on.

Wise move. I'll stay by the door and look for them.

Well get with the rest of the planet!

Another goofy story from the world of road engineering. We had a law on the books back in the late 1990's requiring the U.S. to convert to the metric system. So at the DOT, we got ahead of the curve and revised all of our standards to the metric system. We even started doing our designs in metric on all of our plans and had some road signs posted giving distances in km. Naturally, after all of that effort, our fearless leaders got close to the deadline and decided, "Yeah...we're not doing that." So we had to switch everything back.

I'm older than you. Mine was 10 miles.

Truly, you are part of the greatest generation.

Happens to all of us.
Rotten little ingrates.

Yep. Li'l bas--uh, punks.

It gets better.
Well, the sleeping in does. Maybe not the bathroom part.

Sadly, In know what you mean. Getting old sucks.

Smart kid. Knows what he wants and how to get it.

They pick that up quickly.

Really! Wow. Kay doesn't get up til 11 on weekends.
Then again, she's probably staying up til Gawd knows when.

::yes:: We're starting to lose that battle as well.

I said "stop"!

Sorry! I didn't hear you through my monitor.

Who to this day, are still a little peeved that they didn't name it "Michaud Cave".

They didn't have much foresight, I guess.:rotfl2:

Yup. Typical conservation in the early twentieth century.

(attaches detonator) I got yer conservation right here!

Um. Geology not their forte I guess.

Yeah, but it's fun to dream.

Yeah but in todays dollars, that's 11 billion I think.

U.S. or Canadian?

About $750.

That's not bad for a void.

Boring. Next!

Story of my TR's.

Geez. Then what was the point of having her in the first place.
Stoopid rulz.

These kids need to start earning their keep at some point.

Huh! I had no idea. And it's not that far away.

Pretty cool area! The longest, of course, is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Toured that one back in 2011.

What's with these slacker friends of yours?
Time to get a better quality of friend.

You'd think they could get 6 elementary-school aged kids up faster.

:lmao: This cracks me up.

This kid. He'll be the death of me.

Good call.
Plus, it might've squeezed out a fart and then you'd have killed your son.

I'd never forgive myself. After I exclaimed, "That was a good one!", of course.

Now that is an absolutely terrific shot.

Thanks!:goodvibes

Ah! I see why you kept them as friends now.

Our friends are solely kept around due to our ability to mooch off of them.

What was that elevator like? How old did it look?

Nothing special. Just a regular ol' elevator.

Interesting. And makes sense.

It was a neat little experiment.

I dunno. The ones you did post were pretty cool.

Thanks! When I look at them, they start to seem the same after a while. I tried to pick distinctive ones. Also, I hate being that guy who posts Every. Single. Photo.

mmmm... bacon.
Actually looks really weird. Did you learn how that was formed?

It's much like any other formation--it's a result of water carrying minerals and depositing them in a certain way. This is a type of "flowstone", formed by flowing water. The speed at which it flows and deposits minerals can cause the stone to appear translucent like this, and the different colors produce the "bacon" appearance.

So no crawling on your knees I suppose.

Not here. Pretty easy walk. We'll contrast it with another location later on.

Or.... was he?

(ominous music)

They should incorporate that. Disney would.

That would make it more exciting!

Side note: we walked through a lava tube in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that looked exactly like the Indiana Jones cave. I kept waiting for the boulder.

b9_CI91lGKlgIi4_hwnZng_Tvp4iovUVlS6p6bTv8qbduSgq0zJHuhLzT7m3wzrSQY4rCgP_Revz3luqJjff0Wi9NksUretS5REbmPiDHMoahiANPQyBMYdMCc9cnXrsdJBkR-Dc_p7k9S_6YnEZJEFM834MhO8rzNLmyGX9oyIErbWSVDBoG4B5Muw3OwO6s_zaDeYMKabSEE5R93jtWsLuD4yifJxNAh4J7niba9MmydHrjEAnX05p64FHAe3UT6iNSdKm5_CNMIkBjE6JKvLvYE1aKEu1g4f9tYbsUpSjMhvr7bLVEgrSVM7iBFxQ4AB7AjU46vlfirO_a8Fu_wF0VfZpZUTkUqf5NesezvSgf9COpJSv8CZqNUjLsHnIUocWGIRCXBxu0TiDtnX2bftnwnXNBUjSJa86eJm9r4pQr-AXJwSnWno-DWHOJE1-BKyaWzxWUZaUsL6HOlSGov8BJ1isWdZExpI6bZRldV9XsTDSTMe4GKbpdXCxCj5T5PnqcGUadYEeXg71rJQsLO0WCLsfNRELrCMCXkxRuGrYnchWx8EdH1lmmUCWkCflkS3K1QKvXl-wEOBBBftY14-YoqbWS_suT8X2uzc6zn9iDi8-=w556-h834-no

Crap. Rules me out.

And half the U.S. population.

:lmao: He's discovering the undiscovered parts right now!

He'd be great at it! He finds undiscovered parts of our house that haven't been childproofed all the time!

I don't get it. They used dynamite to widen the hole before. You'd just be following historic footsteps, no?

Exactly. That would be my story, and I'd stick to it. Throughout the court process.

Another one? Man, you guys lucked out.

:thumbsup2

I so want to drive that.

And you should!

It's not like anyone was drinking... er... uh.... I mean... That's shocking!

Exactly.:rolleyes1

Holy crap! They didn't plan on large vehicles, did they!

I don't think the SUV had even been invented when they built this road!

Atta boy! Ramp up the excitement for the family!

Full speed ahead!

See what I mean? Fun Police.

How did they determine the order? Just first come first serve?

Pretty much, yeah. Standard practice for one-lane bridges. Usually the roads are low-volume enough that it works out.

Doesn't matter what the subject is. Adults are the only ones who are capable of having conversations.

Sure seems that way. Hang on, I just got a text.

::yes:: Want to do that one too.

And you should!

Really! That I did not know.

I really think it's the best way to approach Rushmore. Neat way to build anticipation.

Arizona. It's Arizona, right?

Nope. I got it. Arizona. ::yes::

Missed it by that much.

Love it! But...

... that's exactly what I thought!

Hey, whatever. It's still cool.

For me, part of the problem is that the highways, especially the interstates, were and are a major part of our national defense system. Turning them over to a private entity (that may or may not be from a country that likes us) didn't seem smart to me.

Interesting. Never would've thought of it that way.
I wonder if our highways are thought of that way?
"Okay! Let's go!"
"Where? There's nothing for 1,000kms!"

Wise move. I'll stay by the door and look for them.

Keep waiting.

Annnny second now.

We had a law on the books back in the late 1990's requiring the U.S. to convert to the metric system. So at the DOT, we got ahead of the curve and revised all of our standards to the metric system. We even started doing our designs in metric on all of our plans and had some road signs posted giving distances in km. Naturally, after all of that effort, our fearless leaders got close to the deadline and decided, "Yeah...we're not doing that." So we had to switch everything back.

Of course. Then again.

I quite clearly remember all the confusion we had when we switched over.

Truly, you are part of the greatest generation.

I have the frostbitten body parts to prove it!!

Sadly, In know what you mean. Getting old sucks.

Oh, shoot. So someone already told you that, huh?

::yes:: We're starting to lose that battle as well.

Make it easy on yourselves. Just give up.

Sorry! I didn't hear you through my monitor.

Turn the volume up.

(attaches detonator) I got yer conservation right here!

:laughing:

Yeah, but it's fun to dream.

We did! Back in '74 my family and relatives from Europe went on a trip from Winnipeg to Victoria BC down south as far as Yellowstone and up through the badlands. Somewhere in that trip, we were staying at a motel and us kids discovered what looked like expensive gems just cast aside. We brought them to our parents who told us to take it back. We did and when we knocked on the door to tell the person there about it, it turned out that he was a rock hound with a pretty extensive collection. What we had picked up were chunks of Amethyst that someone had wrecked before he got to it. Hence he'd left it outside. We kept some of it as well as some polished rocks that he gave us.

U.S. or Canadian?

Namibia.

These kids need to start earning their keep at some point.

Otherwise, why have them?

Pretty cool area! The longest, of course, is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Toured that one back in 2011.

Cool! Was it?

You'd think they could get 6 elementary-school aged kids up faster.

Slackers. Like I said.

I'd never forgive myself. After I exclaimed, "That was a good one!", of course.

#priorities.

Our friends are solely kept around due to our ability to mooch off of them.

Yeah, I got that. Good planning.

Also, I hate being that guy who posts Every. Single. Photo.

Like I did with my MK Main St. photos? Like that?

It's much like any other formation--it's a result of water carrying minerals and depositing them in a certain way. This is a type of "flowstone", formed by flowing water. The speed at which it flows and deposits minerals can cause the stone to appear translucent like this, and the different colors produce the "bacon" appearance.

Interesting. I'd like to see it IRL someday.

Side note: we walked through a lava tube in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park that looked exactly like the Indiana Jones cave. I kept waiting for the boulder.

:laughing: And I remember that!

And half the U.S. population.

only half?

:duck:

He'd be great at it! He finds undiscovered parts of our house that haven't been childproofed all the time!

Of this I have no doubt.

Exactly. That would be my story, and I'd stick to it. Throughout the court process.

I'd be right there to vouch for you!
Unless of course there's something good on TV.

I don't think the SUV had even been invented when they built this road!

Can you imagine someone coming through with a Hummer?

See what I mean? Fun Police.

:sad2:

Pretty much, yeah. Standard practice for one-lane bridges. Usually the roads are low-volume enough that it works out.

I love how you used the word "usually" there.

Sure seems that way. Hang on, I just got a text.

:laughing: Says the two guys who've had conversations and never met.

Missed it by that much.

Dang.

Interesting. Never would've thought of it that way.
I wonder if our highways are thought of that way?
"Okay! Let's go!"
"Where? There's nothing for 1,000kms!"

More likely, "Why is the toll suddenly $3,000?"

Keep waiting.

Annnny second now.

I'm still waiting. Haven't lost faith. It's like the Great Pumpkin. I'm still waiting for him, too.

Of course. Then again.

I quite clearly remember all the confusion we had when we switched over.

I'm sure there would have been much weeping and gnashing of teeth. And then we'd get over it.

I have the frostbitten body parts to prove it!!

That I believe!

Oh, shoot. So someone already told you that, huh?

I'm kinda figuring it out on my own.

Make it easy on yourselves. Just give up.

Ok. I surrender.

Turn the volume up.

What?

We did! Back in '74 my family and relatives from Europe went on a trip from Winnipeg to Victoria BC down south as far as Yellowstone and up through the badlands. Somewhere in that trip, we were staying at a motel and us kids discovered what looked like expensive gems just cast aside. We brought them to our parents who told us to take it back. We did and when we knocked on the door to tell the person there about it, it turned out that he was a rock hound with a pretty extensive collection. What we had picked up were chunks of Amethyst that someone had wrecked before he got to it. Hence he'd left it outside. We kept some of it as well as some polished rocks that he gave us.

That's pretty cool! Nice guy.

Hey, I just got an email from there the other day promising me untold wealth. I'm thinking of taking them up on the offer.

Otherwise, why have them?

Really.

Cool! Was it?

It was! At one point they turned out all the lights so you could experience true darkness. Couldn't even see my hand in front of my face.

Slackers. Like I said.

Agreed.

#priorities.

Exactly. That's how we roll.

Yeah, I got that. Good planning.

I wonder why we can't keep our friends around?

Like I did with my MK Main St. photos? Like that?

Nah, you're not an offender. You only had like 5 or 6 of them. And they were good shots. The ones that drive me nuts are when you get 20 photos of the same thing, including the blurry ones.

Interesting. I'd like to see it IRL someday.

And you should!

:laughing: And I remember that!

That was a cool hike.

only half?

:duck:

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I'd be right there to vouch for you!
Unless of course there's something good on TV.

Thanks, man. I would expect nothing less. You're a true friend.

Can you imagine someone coming through with a Hummer?

Oh, man. It would shut down the road.

I love how you used the word "usually" there.

Things I've learned working for state government: 1. Never make any promises. 2. Never speak in absolutes.

Actually, this works for marriage, too.:duck:

:laughing: Says the two guys who've had conversations and never met.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Chapter 8: George Washington. One: Father of Our Country. Two: Born on President’s Day. Three: The Dollar-Bill Guy.

I guess I can’t hide the big reveal any longer. I can’t believe none of you figured it out! Our next stop was Mount Rushmore National Memorial.

dWUC9ZaqqppvAL_6VCMzrWGXlGVkTFwk2mn_DbZlw_T0vao-sGDsa_nNQP_Bqqj8U6WhDxyTuMzqqlE0yGeuNkzdzKDlF1Tv0SHsIM4MIJ88H8gyAsub_77TKtXya6tnNW0sXYpzvsEY2HnHZZt-ldPyOV9H8TtZlXc_5K-fObfLsxtpu1_pSooOjEnoZkn4elCyU9Jx4650yV5OfhCjxK_ytalxut8_qqtgFQQr8NVLDohJnZ4Dl-xuGfnD3_sLVV5Le-qn56r-kVc0cHveHQ0ODbogyUNM6cFy2OSPBUA-c2Z_57impwRVq5duWa7_ysK5MHD7faNB8O95jQ39_fJWbg8pr2hv0quORqbbKiGZF4J9SEbhkPs7n4zfv_c41T4TSl_Nht7WS6FcKY9HzetYHLVCZ6PLvG87vom_tkz9SUMlq-ZfRPr2AfdpKrw-ugNpFs_mLhST6-zoxbKd2ZiymQyQXDorVU23uXxybYfR6GdFLfxAWIhRy2mIB7c6pOKOsUX957tFukzQ-Pq5hb-S-1uLD__I_SiCAwYKUx09Dd3dVsjfJ943JYBYNSI2h7MEEE1sCso0xF4cEsk257QzrgvFlP5T8FL9XGvgN74Jt3ui=w1212-h808-no

Mount Rushmore was first conceived as an idea by South Dakota State Historian Doane Robinson in 1923. The genesis of the idea was that it would serve both as a unique memorial to the history of the United States and also serve as a draw for tourism to the Black Hills area. The idea evolved through years of arguments over funding, location, and of course whether sculpting a mountain was a worthy art project or a vile defacing of a natural feature. The first carving began on October 4, 1927 under the guidance of master sculptor Gutzon Borglum. Approximately 400 workers carved the memorial, mostly by strategically blasting away at the granite with dynamite and then removing smaller pieces by hand. Borglum did not live to see the finished work—he died in March 1941, and the project was then completed by his son, Lincoln, in October of that year. No workers died during the carving of the memorial. In the end, four 60-foot faces of U.S. Presidents stared southeast from the face of the mountain: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt. There are a thousand jokes I could insert here regarding our most recent election but I suspect none of them could pass muster with the DISBoard rules. So imagine that they’re all hilarious, just like the rest of my jokes.

The actual memorial complex is fairly massive. There’s one entrance off the main road, and it leads to a loop road that takes you around two big parking garages. You can head right into the first garage or continue around the loop to the second. Wikipedia has a good aerial view of the whole facility here.

The park is free! But if you want to park your car, it’ll cost you $10 per vehicle to enter. The parking fee is good for 7 days in case you want to make return visits. We parked in the first garage when we arrived, eager to get out and see the memorial. The mountain comes into view almost as soon as you ascend the steps, so it wasn’t long before we were trying to get a family photo (minus Julie, the photographer).

IzNL_aSncORfueaUxTpr8gVlZ9fVCDqF5nxbHeKGMNNfNLFv1TEbTLleEgrIy570_1MCoRMd-gSsPRbEOOc8V_6O_L0oD86bdjjYnXABjjWLhm5fQnoMVeYuBFvtauX7rAtRD26-sEew2VdkNURE1LVUA8Fea7Bq4BYG9HDKwlgHOMHxAuPOkIGZMpxGXNZJZPGhg-TGxxkaiw9qpl3mLwroOHSDKfyb5II9Z_TzcgwTV3S8tulNQxsrZSA6wzfMIFd9GbUFD-nmF7kKp0aJv86PoxjupHVq00P7_fWSelXdTgy20N4u7W_7o_Kp6-qqD5_GfFMRudbCjfgYdb5qbxbboCFttfWuyOCxesu3li3vxSjc9qpmntC020LPjFjQd5ZkrW5AMlTtUYmXJvF9x-bwcg855aIZ6HOyaO4bL18HVU05xJwwlBmDM9GNXoAd5Qdnx7MhmDHggarlxhgYBRifa2vYjOpZA5KGwM5e0h14evJvraZOZG1_9LX8yJGZTD2thzY8RwghjGKgyk-cCt97HKkPb0-O1H0Q16bPEUgZmMWxXl5vbtUVzVACpWBg1vqJRrGFBEAEJNEyFKdp2OlqxQubQgp6fpAv5RvffT1joZj6=w1212-h808-no

Looks nice, doesn’t it? Once again, I am forced to puncture the “perfect family” bubble by posting the behind-the-scenes action:

7e5Ll2XgcSZ-Y2cdfCdEHE7_w6ZpQK9h2uKEsyNvl4xUvtStdwIaE8ChSIHCLb85FXrBCMJ0SUghviv2YlwH6kTN_MXp74P-PrWqBcMJNIPnRhJTu4apbBfruXEdeu3MbpPOFg4cFXgxOjAPJ2NHQMAt67_Bi53sZORFw9jToEkVbcoE_Y4_BwsVJ6bVaZVDtv_1K8ucyEsBrJ7suTN3hlBGyx5spAhjDP9tG3cS_JGLjGC4anl2xuz1j6fyNIz6XUAUbJjwcxbZWoADAM1A5nZoGLjvBjXH1xT2CRbL_NR0y4BvJmdzemubTbWeRUBGeklMHYG0Jeo-hJRaCTqiRDBhGpiiZ3Q97VxOCDx_XqzQeWulbQPSp0oUE_eoytTdpkg9tWmOd4nEGEEtAGMuRCr7H1YCOt2KEl2hTQ6TMnpzojSPJwW0ZxAHMuxoMJ8mOX57ruL3ROyaAR2U9HqwGYDDDRnALyuk1Qx5GZxCcf3O5CqcURqm8oilgt3wPRq-AyB_tFdJsyCTU4ApGhWhdF9D8Z5nEmnmegS50tKoQ9gC-V-cDjh612AM60t_isOZ0CQNHvRnZkzk392E2xcmiCY-9AiYhR1oJcbF9Yr1kesgoleN=w556-h834-no

Once you pass the gift shops, you enter the Avenue of Flags, a series of columns bearing the flags of all fifty states in the union. Delaware’s flag is the light blue one on the second column on the right.

KnC94tIiSp_Ld3YNCNzr4znS3VKKDpRR9x8zY1bQ4S2ehA-WPvRQWuxUcocDUW9NQyukkRkyogUrpTLpMjtohd59lnVyLHAlerpHaFycm9ix0ICgYoy2R1z8pyRLqUcxqHzQy7DxQ_RRT_I5WaHppoNhOwHhAiidtjdMDerQtu1aglY_WwuqcTv8k-ms4vbhUyAyoW_qhrpaFm_9ubUgHh52QF9OCpi5CMlI1aq0nT194MX6fuD9juqUVk0viTp7xrSLpyN6kUsw8I1wY4dgq-5y24-FGuHAodwoLpO7l5CRkPmpk-iDJTbV6vFZyuaPUIh-IvnXL40VQJKGnzNvI2_caGWYHsBChJVuEhnP9lrivvNPPkfiURmu5OqR1SPk69tICyWB3N99uwP-rnuO68n9oP9SfGNlCezu15J1vPFq_R97zghI2EQJw5BGOARt0N5fYkWakLlhwOxfzd08Z4hYoFVoR1BKk7psrUfYNPSNtACSCzWyM-4gYZXl1RJiZbVqZ_IntRfsgNCZ9o7EwuBHWjETtyRVntAHbOEqMp3HjAaRDgBi_yd01OYZgde_6xFS9I0VkSUeVWkFzTAfjAYe2uGAmxZ73Cle5XQeYq_6rfAQ=w556-h834-no

We’re Number One!

xPc8NzTBmhg9f6fXDiaXumS78QaT_sE2rS4s1tlWyJtiVxgmjjA_iqHGSNgU7Y00big2cW2kYterxvM8ZqNP8el6mJbyuvjJhs8iytYNtd806d8sfi8SstupOdY6lPi89IzY8Z8dz6kCVPVvLSipq8-mC_eSpzAS6ZXcSz1_pt2xL90M6zgfeE-q-kZpqkgcNDnfJrT6fPubH3LTUEXpFWqER0CYekPonTlZh5V6Md_ssjZVwIhQ1mD5CMuEerb6TzITeDmlNsriyVSuNk4b_EhKxNF3Db36fq_J_oSi7Q2zokK05z7QoNaVbF7tqTAftd42S2WIoB7pzq5qJIXvOprqcgJNA_h-RFUfNymzW-qVoSDjCtXuT4dToJVeCtQ_wHj-6Cik88n2sEQPO3wWfCulw2BEpsOajnm9cnO3tI8WW2ri76qfu-IYw6LkiNsar5hxmivwzKOW62InbfPI9ZeuXISqdp2CVMyVzvEhLTM-HAvupMPsHBPb8vaRZ0X5syPPFDBpcVSAiVPY6igLMjNZY6Du2nJ0Oy3Eo-oXwL6anIFfVc_YruF4QhdBXjPlh1o62pVpkR3ZadWaGpkmF1wl8arx3CffQyuAtFKXHptqKEUL=w1212-h808-no

And then you reach the wide plaza with the big panoramic view of Mount Rushmore. Up close, it’s quite an imposing, impressive sculpture.

Bjdc2o2uJv7dP10PaQG04a1_1A2x0I3ElLJmN5MhaSFP1WM-hwpNZFAuPlx-MBblPNmVoVjC-8KBddDZ1GLxrLDH83xRx-CVURignZ243g-PBGEwDzt6Oq658zSw62zfClXxNXdsWqQYp-gXlc9FUjJVfc3Y_AeDtg9rhQgDzcOaBFxynREMx9npYcci7axoqmctNIKglL747oR22a0u8ZnhCgmSw0tiNt-BqYRl0lf03ohwkdl1p5Ed4odKe_i_F_g2LjBMASPbUmO9Pf7FDQXFgdvJ0Rm6_9Fbeu7tZX7lYQqHLh0DYRdUq9_b7JYznGKzm3mZTWXpjOYdE1C6f4xEDmoYqvEI8k0rHROhxe_JDGvLI5xLgwwENmQuJeIxtVlLauGPsJIXy6sYz4_TQDkSrfC7T2ze862daN4UScN62OzbuJrFhdYH6JObcP1G0La91eIbIYFjqfkj52ELqqO1YSTY4iB9CWAETgjMBN4ViElVqXVwHoVSsBzlp0pHjrRIcVuzpp32GDBUtMGeTbbdpPzeNdmg8gTDUnJFAMnANvB--RgcD-0ATbPu5iJxh0nwBYpFR_nAjl-d0H2plBQP8xSD3QlKcU4RZGQ-Cn_2p4pf=w1212-h808-no

We immediately set to work taking photos of our kids with the memorial in the background, using both our good camera and my phone to make sure the kids never knew where exactly to look when taking the photo.

p1ZuR532OKpY-HnFQbIwxSkyBK1IxwWPbkg_gJTnZ59IJfRlFTsYybcOZMRp-IAeWgLBLJTjegSY2T7DxD_i2JSDvxCPJfws89ex52tFS2cEbJFHxjUcbXIgYnZd6vrKQ-kRqyVZn7B2FVRB0lAC4tOH83BDyHVwQhZCsb7j_bu6ob0f8CjBx8QOyBOTgNI8WLnIP15fENs9CuD7oDvxyH1GLlzaK_V7TZ6yQLumXb4tKwC49TTzqyP59-6hErvLddPLjR9k5YhBc3b7INkZyoob4-RQ_j1NHxaQtzqcsUD339nskR_m2K_ttddBoZ9qo7VvhBvQsyUZUG6cT3_ppeCyq8tS2p2gL52HmahfcVqCchk4-qSKlcUcxh_doDChE678k1Kd8aZ6wNJ7LVpbHmWPFSK4Cko-ZKDT3X_aMFNH4NUAgJYkYjIZFuVzvZMfdmD8TEVp6nFf-FQ--s5czjWVELcmQvU8nNeVxi9vtwVkO9jEZ_rErpH4nW8vnHoVVigJuPIsu8yKj_9Icic4CPpiZJYXxCAxpyrIDvypP2nHLYHQ7wVjvothUW1wONDT7bFD0xKHSgR-aoNSgglMEr859u7VPf1n2wPr8KPLZ67XSrbf=w1212-h808-no

2PtNZeV_6Hrwq-YSQFEcVnxksyycCkTQjDBHf7Jiu67D4b1zoNpclnQFzPSFOnGxsNfFzPBR9pqjQq5EHDAlGO4W2ORYQ0ZaMeFFUKsyyN2yvRxfH4ACAZFEnJGA5ZoIG-LaXKOgf9fajGoDb2AL4rhK5dKGwG62qS4z4OnhvR6DRCisIgX9Qia0nMgHFu8uQGZ-D7i60nzUYBYmk8ktZsUmaUD0dXIT6Vf7hIj4EE2FEUEDTj6pFMKVqXyBMAgclkIL1dz03y18UmI_stn3iHDdMpcmVJ3GMD6YIuCLEIkBBmPnKJHgN1W8NY251PO_ZENaYIOJAOsmam-TiO3oT6Hi9k42cIrFUAKJc2_AxunV7Dfu07nWYRaqrkRMGmpIoORVGjpL_xc7yzhe6poAYO5A3I8iS9qVQpKC2_qfxe0r5B9WfJZeQz-Xet51I6ycEkeiDTE2X-NI8CKtb1EQCWYVyvvH7TSp0vk5EGmF6wXrH4wNMz2q7NBeolt4kweWCEHO3l5taKAvIBrCF0A3tMFE5ELl8wdwtRJRoQMU7oHAmBiXyHF4qLOvPLvNRowzhxPlWdclLIlF8Jn7a99EO2refGCOmKdZfu3D4VSmLWuv5DlB=w556-h834-no

0pH3bvqe9mtvJSqSrOwSKh6G1a8uqrLUBjSEhcNPilrmsk8ZhOKCKBpQ_XloP4qta-vmOmf6UirPIhHImxVApdXwHqMRKkSNTK4aQsDLoKmIy3zJLceUxvNUcuK4Tqg8gQd7dPLTyz3ZQYpVVyj5akLgnn2w4l0pq9fIC3D_N6fIgqTJHeEiuMw6FypCY5sJecqDwvGeiH1a-gbqrw93PQf5-t0p3Kqe-xgJk6biGnRYr4Hld9Fq-XcJppHpRbjdsnydB96pUa9ojXW8aisic5qVIiLu3BLL1mQx1ZykktgYFWr4xJqJbp0gWlU3ubCOXgHlaDNDVCsHcOqF9pIOihCCIXcCa3zmwQvW_jyZAu4NatPoTsYgXEgIon8B2u6EnaDd72wLZAAlE1DagWxVUi2CFmX_Y8UcEaYYsvwOIQLMjXKNlmWdDpc1LRCuonES35yUk9SG-xQu_UbcukafumI2pHLfve87i7NW2dd4ML40sGFDKNzai8FI55xkGn1ABb164u7sAFXH9RKZTlzgOGzjiZOzBtfWL_2UtHbk1BLXioTGo1q8f2I5jqt3l3xfTZpyxx0q-mkS-a2xx2LYPBbH5ZuTGUcct3M8yscmFGRKG9a1=w1112-h834-no

The experience of visiting Mount Rushmore is similar to that of Devil’s Tower. Once you arrive, you can marvel at the view. And it is indeed impressive. There’s a visitor center with some interesting exhibits and a short trail you can take. But after a while, you get the sense of…well, there it is. Now what? So, much like Devil’s Tower, I would plan on spending maybe a couple of hours exploring and learning about it and then have something else on the itinerary. Visiting Jewel Cave in the morning and coming here in the late afternoon seemed to work out pretty well for us.

Once our photo shoot was complete, we took a trail to the base of the mountain. There’s actually a loop you can do, but once you get past the mountain it involves lots of stairs and climbing and we didn’t bother since we had Drew’s stroller. But we did get to the bottom of the mountain so we could check and see if any of our distinguished former presidents had any noticeable boogers. Call them hanging chads if you like.

kwSJUf7shvvWX9ZTtizXv9Y2MTXvz5YmnSNSNDEWaXpZ2PaN1lwYJlZUeLGks7kfyrni617xvC1QX5io-v1dbgzYCsgauc8XeRvHo-WJJlz8hiylobe4-oaVd3uYhvnLrypbweoirG24NGVXgSAsA355lTgNibSEaH06HbCvu7kdAmmRgXuR28_G3s70nTrtM8_w97XC2vpLY54TTJkI77esLoILxKD7Enw3bq4IbFpuwsgdqvFDo5yte1ly6i-r__R0MPTINP98AyozUaQwfo11fvpef--Bnho1IpGy2dym5b7lnhwqolI3Lr3y1_wIObK5WvaAewH3MwcrwZLOPC013rZiOUhwsUgYKZeQhCGFXPArALMz0blXe3cDI9qnVahTFZY5pu3sxhow52i-KSlKmck3PGVjryId-vux7uhQgimhPeuR3LDpPJGBtG8UK3XPl-Lrte8SX-xgcchTj8shxubWi2fxXNgyYrCTgaK0l0Oxjc3bHQY6uNJMZRe3ycHQOLuWhntWbAq8HpVsybZr3X4hQkV3cvBK11UNUHNCWRGdTcqdLd8kVfUt5_ifBV1jPtmf51_YcUxr2iKJE8j_egP-iZW9WIVvIpAlAg4e71l3=w1212-h808-no

For me, the fascination of Mt. Rushmore came from learning about the work itself. It was amazing to think that 400 men hung from various scaffolds and slings and carved this intricate piece of artwork using primarily dynamite. As a piece of art, it’s a stunning achievement on a huge scale. I wouldn’t want a lot of repeated attempts to use nature’s beauty for our own sketchpad, but on the whole I’m glad this place exists.

We picked up Junior Ranger books for the boys and then headed out, looking for a place to eat dinner before returning that evening.

I’d originally planned to eat dinner back in the town of Custer, but it was a bit too far away (about a 30-minute drive) to be convenient for dinner. We drove down the hill to the nearby tourist-trap town of Keystone and ended up getting a table at the Ruby House, which in no way resembles a cheap Western-themed tourist trap.

Oh, did I mention that Julie and I were celebrating our 18th anniversary this particular evening?

dcXv9Edc5aheySe7g6JOKrwolABrWaxLJANzQNLxrhkr_P1IIWfrlLtoNiw7GUEiubMaHA716QZRZhBIavhWIz0_cYi--eDIdpLe6iDIXZ0bllABGbI08PVZv3GMsnhM4gX6TgR4xhS_LuzNu53l4odORAk1gtyR7NauT9wZPnf2EZe0yS1xHJcVhH3J9kw8wWwuJs3f8JmO4p6m6WR-RBs8j-3IL9kYneyndwQlUqXwg053BkFgCgtSzxpfiawr8AAAAURVRlsAqRA7HM36tpuRa8yIryJacEGqzftODEK3oGwElnxNgosq9Lm5BsYAm-kljDmWSIxjoFd-KJt7m87Lm0R1LQ5gX3YPIBJ4c0ScCEaNhDwZ4lAZWk6IUqE_DtmVumPKhRTxuh7vGspgHPb6xPCYYWrOnAZohj1LLYDizv8P50mlnaqMoVY7GroFEtYsKdR0oi5_9aB2vNNkWm72fbfFI0cKTm6YQDMlzJ0XKTAeW6t4A5KbIs0nueqA71Iv1OmfBbjNSdDmsoWbfGdERbPmfUds_iuci90l9InvEnhA8mw7h2tsVVW1mSWaIsRiQK4OfV-xOopQRpx1K_YQdVU-9kscJbAx1Mj54DBhX3Yf=w1212-h808-no

As always, I know how to treat a woman right. Also, I’m blessed beyond measure that I was able to marry out of my league and that Julie hasn’t come to her senses yet. As with most of the places we visit, you do just fine if you have a sense of humor. We took the kitschy décor in stride.

PIakFVd2DONoZlzZtiiP9QjvNQxvAKhogZAB83OAGSmhul7E5udgd6gf5Vpwz4UbZqJk2OuILE2VpEMhkCfjoT9K66YSXrfCUvLw53CAnh5t130-0j3sJiiVIwWVbQxfO3S-BgTlhMxYHzBi9y5QfITf0JOuHm2JmhgsBX_f-aDnc2osO_PEgadApHnO6m_u3H00cBT7ahhFERRqxFJNjUq3ClDSBL1rCRZgfigtgT9G7-9VAo0O2hqcU6FYxBwtBRkwTrNtzWHHc2BgrTc-ouClaYXlQ8Uew67l3YdUA_1vsVMZwAs0AorWdxvreGAtZPrGhou421KDAYh7vhMnu6JMzdBYe1s-nkoZwILB5HAYTEx945UyO1iVjHlOtJJa3FG1UEvdHV31L7xf44vRGx8Vhf_AwRTSN_qWhg2sSyt-NMSIyCJ9oqyQD3odkMCu-EZmablpPiYwx_T9BehrZCs-_W8OsO-vGwD8HdqyCJ3XbZqZQE03XNSQD3g31eywYvzYXpmebHUFGm9GdIbfsKsSr7H3eG-gqhbIN835jJlJrUFVlc__cJ41RrKXpdhF_B7xn7xqeffmmwcC22PaB9mwXNbh4s8uvrmmCS9AlkaO4Mlx=w1212-h808-no

They had a photo of General George Armstrong Custer on display, which I thought fitting as it symbolized my attempt to win my wife’s heart by having a romantic meal here.

Kg2kb_cBdIXZGMeRg9rYG1JsmLOz2h9orN4RsYvnzpJ2WMmInV1R38SgwK6pL44cK9ZErdjktdjiX7_CROP1dC_lhIK9wKF-jksUozBbHKs45ynsrp6Lyhw21hsJU4n-SGqnVZsb0Zr0j5YmuHdQfy6WOzOURKZuQmIH6mT-kj4hIuV5PH4KWZqrgphSbyfIdCLEskJd-mX9tpm6ONstFh4diYiZMy-IX8wV-RBZSo_u9Lphw7456TcbvnAo3hOszyc8fbKlDK26MWVDUqflBmc5pAiPrJassbQKgPFIRbrXw4tn-uHHwFD5lfoKFrnM_NE6JxEgwVHDyvSUd7ucRk4u6FiZro8uBy0ffrLQ_Ky7WgHClrXds4AIsEYbblo8omPrjjlNbWp2eTwGsXtiN7E790n_0smR2rwV8vl8GpRUfnXbQ2tq9Qj-CX4tEXYr1jNeEj0C_oc0zvWcBLlm6hct3PEplvNAWboOplGc9cxtnXlTHY9Goz_fnyf1yY-B2H8vSWlKIkC5QPLdNkGJVcrbhA61t6o6Kf8DvNfWzSRZHT5j1bafPJ0htutca3S5ZNbNgfuUC6cGvurvP0TOaXvJTP5p9pr-QCN94sYyeW6SoqE3=w1212-h808-no

Here’s our romantic lovebird photo, complete with a kid wondering how long it takes to get a plate of French fries, cookies and ketchup (his staple diet) out here.

d2QLTZpCe1ua9Gzu1ni1kuCcS94WVEKyvujrYThuXnP-UdbueCSwrOImzPS30I493jLmDni4ZMZ6KIlo8JHspMUmumcMkwjCQ_WJOZQcpDpqEVjdkCdj0fyvGGiCDiE33CKz_POZM287E62rYlLAo-rw6ifApUuJHor4WUpPRf6EKsRWKrecyQ4PXe9LP07wN5VqORYE_XfamrRTR94iK-4Wjo3zLACVwZhfIaSnMSaP5iZB-GTGyOspnnvqd7nP679uq6FqjPMYN0pwfvVTHM12Dd_XgmrOQpc98cn-9QhE4_RoSD22d6EHXc2V-OY_fgrmbXZ9yD7XaTMeqIToEmhHNt8kVCWYg9b4w8moCmDxRk8-6zRSq1h15XZGzZfiPshIzo00ERsC0SH3XjSIE8Zg0D8ueeUP_rTjW7Fo0wUmVMNPbFBZgs8Hj4OF0-1i9zx85J9wNfjrJDmJ5r-UfEBYh0Zdmul7dQLVe2eCoa3rTsSDIA3I8uLjC8P9RI6Jg36YPf-N6s0Msy8RDCYSpEdxoRom7d7us5C9FaYClF-jlXDOVdyY-Q3q96m13vGLK3cNB98pYi2RweKUre5uapPjjrSq01He0aueWN0hTXAMzHwK=w1212-h808-no

I figured it was my anniversary, so I was ordering a steak. A bourbon-marinated ribeye, to be exact.

Ovr44msA1XVNW7_1mPl9lW4VSXvRJjpgv5w0ZlY_LmkkCllbfNWQXPGEQB3GEvreN2BGyCiW0GswJ6Jze5nIQ0XJIagoBaIpThY4W-Tut1JZwoVGfAsWlDw1QrbnrJ-0knajud-xs2v3XAFSlLwKVkcEBSTMjwXXCRalcKyQC-ca-jKCjQpLe1VkELNYeRD4wjMy0iHcjtZ9UfcLASXfdG5i7rDQ8NH8SvVwHNIPJR5UCpg5k6_OLz9z9abusFUbUjGqkAUS2W2NqT5hgUzNsMzAo41531shEL8dPp_hZqs0EDUqh6QfLU4gMNbV7twQJe5bn0cXCeIaUy0dWX5qNbw4x0dZ-Cb85VEqpkCnnmPO-jBKQzV-3pgnrELH9NcalzyC9ZdAhei821XAfGiwQICrGC3RhJ05OWNoDb7dMP9SVoNwrhqek9GZPYFd548AjZXNKJy-QVtWHATJIoVHEXqaF3EW-nQy04lpYCpRY8w_R1_apRbIxBbE4JtC4ZLtlGIMlT56j5eI1hBY4z17Efe_IJ2L21tBSCcnZ9S6JwnrO8HNTvOPwu0MrVtwEUJS5W0cAoCgr5IDApkw88ToRdTDnYqH5dZ6fX03gPqYZWkx33uI=w1212-h808-no

It was…ok. The bourbon marinade made it tasty, but—well, ever hear the expression, “He’s tougher than a $5 steak?” This reminded me of that phrase. Only it’s a tourist trap so it was more expensive than a $5 steak. Julie, however, really enjoyed her meal—an “Indian taco”—basically a taco served on Southwestern fry bread. She loved it.

8n77IHo0JLzFTvvKTA422w6PmS0vblKWJij5lmUhs59dsvVmBNw34IOoJRXP3i4n2EGRAQ06VpenuUXiBx-ymgJudWvRw1gZo18C-gVMZ6R89zIaBWCJJnf9zvDsDvbqFxUChlWRiD8OIM_EIzoeVb5Eezs1sTIlfTHjtsvnAlkH3FtDV5a_SqllTO2bPI-TffUhJjecBHQxdt0_wtP6ZD7X_CwGR6JE0MAht_IRlAgMpQUOhAcKPitMZbP6A0wStSr8L_FVslRYiJpJhDHIYlrE5SpNXvPlNJFLoBRaIP_OuNGvQZtUio_SBKxwiWR39bikb2mpVwXo0PuD0jBa1F1e4cy1no6WMS24C-tF26QHGMmkalSHQHxJ9Uryw1YJfd9Geap4MJnR1daBLkWRSA_WW69WuE-M8FU9SY1LatZwSeTA1pvqtPhy8mlNjN_dI2M67EUmZK6NEWdG3r7xRVsnDhUGtL18zYEf0XDDopoSMub7b9hiqu-Jir-7JMrui4FZIJhe3yQ2eARYqpnqGz1keUxRkK90oF6Sk_YbVuK4duoz3Ru2R718OcSQV8gfOpFZaeo_2R2pkXEw38XKoejhYqRck-wVIO5u4EYYyWdk4-Ru=w1212-h808-no

We finished our romantic dinner and…guess what? I wasn’t kicked out of the hotel room that night. If you recall, our previous anniversary meal took place in the snack bar of the Old Faithful Lodge. So this was actually an improvement.

On the drive back up the hill, I couldn’t resist getting a photo of this coffee sign:

xB3TbRPDZeaq_iHbJnBgv3HfNNJuyOjk9Pi0oQjq1W0i_3v9OptbZ4JK_HcTbHh5LSYLBk0T73OIqks7lAf7WYHfx4vOSnrm_u0MfKjOcM4Mf0LXQYtyRSxIYQUEX7xAl-7ZIjFzi_73R2LBhDRxX2ejUe4YQ_HikoOaAj-qb-A_jHBYQMiLpRj0u53Rl73RnjTneNMNP52J6mHRAZGk0zKC8Z7mhYWuHbgha7L4x6PUOY4_8BTLJ9Gr0uPpLODTWu1jT-vmAzTHiS0ZGuektQW6avy6AnH_-G85x_yBrVInw2IMsVnC_sghLESoTw_VB83ZNtgLZrOsB3cDcIKgG5mWaTztTpNTlqJ8VSA2t692v47cNqy2g4vtSNsNcn-1jKIORhTtgRViUFnc89-sX8KUe9ba4KOuDvj5_iA7ZZQ-gvHivv4A_Cdgp2pHalfSXuXOk8azwPE6lUjIiOAlrOaXCTte-SRbJGIZFo2JcSb5e9HPIvAjklCAEaNSea2LeXuwC5hQzWD1gFvtT3Q74ynU-mC3LpgNok9zEMiHRs8OGHEbRuk32zFwe4d6jvdZQv9Xa_UvyIQHO_xYvg8oWV4JV2p93u2aNBpNIW831uKwtbRm=w1212-h808-no

We pulled back into Mt. Rushmore as the sun was beginning to set. Let me immediately violate my own rule of not posting photos of the same exact thing over and over again.

uSaGtE3BBoauVpZpUdWj48yWYTE9fVeotA8-V1ijSrSfDt_fuqeapXpsq3659hpPR6PGnYF6MLggMmJipcEV_PKibhjUbLOmNqzmUb38YuTR_-oXS_F1VthMvrLdWlHMCsBREfc55t9FkSTDd9XaERjZXqXVOdCo-sxiea6pox-EaIGgOq4PbJyp8rRFx65gowZaDPPCxeWnufLVqDtC4oVsxAAUQK-lG3e0RBvCNNecmK9o2lD1_yolhTJsH-yePWT0yRaRaCCaDdKkNKJpGmYCGH6uwdQxCvTag4GkCIkO9HEfC1cfT9AUG5_Pfcuf-G4R9zr5H-sIxZOvtL8StbpJ3YYzNmeAZfMptxBL0HxqWNWlQmDzbdJSBH1FK3iaUJ3AhgHQ1AQCOIvZvGD-u7TlVU2ZeDL1z5NzKarVL-JUHyRqRRaEjwtJcBTJVZUStILLQNIvnGTsfDAqFQEJUvOnGgUo9Gm3TGSqujAjSxKxH50Guxch68kGk1xkT1BeHaqvA8_FQKdY008wOMSWNEcyXlciva6nOvdUtL54zX-_QG1pJrZGtmS1YDRJGVxb1FRyKGZm0zLINwinLESlRlSM7yW2ywbT4o3O7RUPwrBJkOW8=w1212-h808-no

diZVfH6acYRsKafki0-VBMIOPR5d-2bBz8FV7U8ACptUzapsc8g2RV1bR6bm1PPHYLB1CnXxo9yYXKxclW0Gt6e9tO_ifpETDn368K-vwuinRfEu10gU9nJTHSvNJFosrakgeSAQzIvxN0rwLPdL4ZQsIvnZYZ16CUT9sQcgnUp27T82Ckl82IB1KGbYJ95zz8Wx_M-hI9uaMx0w2JuztHRNekK2zOuA9uvyJI-kajeppVpPLOlPx2KG0nfJyJDm7ap8z1z9jSYf1r104C3jkBei-6yMTMWO-k6X-J3mApyUHJJjHgAyZgKLOCqlwOUkoicZviOAfXd4qQMESIsRFXHAgjvZhJsX8dKmO3OMsR4-Mwvbswhl7kos9-SMUqpXs8HwfDrhCjH5V0-alpbndwON2SYqTFJf99QG9M5wDWldV3GkgYkDeu2uFtwQEu_zeA3cEv3cf1F5TYXrvql20Orb8ptyNfmhEggMRCtSR8tzypp0H2FLU52XYwlPnJpf5kdqC6ujlhqqRrPvPztyl9Vitf72yuAHmW1XYAP2So2eIRFr3rkmKwXNfcjt6d4Ulm7nZfjCOyBsHhzxoEkN_AHdR5NwpHWbrZO5SOpGYwtYmyAA=w1212-h808-no

We met a nice couple from St. Louis and suckered them into taking our family photo. Christmas card?

Jj3EspPLU_aIs7owbW3WzTHJdWgRIutaryAJA-4WD8atO1dmtic8KoCogWi0wf0tN6fUzxHsNVwQJLXyLYNwMUFy-isL12ApSBQmZfZczaW-s25dfFYUrYjCXLtqZkVTCKQFjW-dia49NofuIdkOxx_oc_5pFdqB-IWlOa6rHmpFf_8SlqCEaOyC_edMbTYa5TpovTFm3ITfy4CdlrDixJpkV5EmS0h1rJ_Xkk0xvGXFO80Y4DB6RbmRn5_pagBTqZkUtnXAe_nV7dRu1SqnQuLoO_Fqdbk-0_TRT25lWZJQ_1VdHv5FmioV9dHU7K2_lGMAsGf8sw-27FIBM_Hs-ZrpSRjQdfrHaeibDxC4qfU8lWMslO60DBfV1XMgG8Gn7thtAmG1sK5sD8Pr0uuIuWTqOjZPBWt0Ctb9hyE5whrje-OEwwmRpTO35q_oVqgoHnKjiCS6NfnpmOd5miiK-NxwV5p20w3oDs-iGK8EUf1yK0R1QEmh13sqpwT2G2GNFWCjTuiO5jT2qsKXB1yiIFAr5fj-rmYd3XJBJvb145T2if9xid4eQkyh9WGjAAd2QJaBoIjboKG8By4GmiRtVs082DeANjR--ieR1Jp9CsKXAr4K=w1212-h808-no

We continued to kill time while the boys worked on their Junior Ranger books. We went down the stairs into the visitor center and found…

(Hang on, I need a moment to set this up)

Ahem.

(insert James Earl Jones voice)

…The Greatest Visitor Center Exhibit Of All Time. (reverberations)

Ok, remember what I said about not being able to spend more than a couple hours here at most? Forget that. This baby will keep you busy all day. They’ll have to kick you out of the place.

You can have the experience of “carving” Mt. Rushmore. There’s a TV screen. You select a view of the mountain as a work in progress from a menu in front of you. Your selected view shows up on the screen. And then…you blow it up.

Let me say that again. THERE IS A METAL BOX. A DETONATOR. WITH A PLUNGER YOU GET TO PUSH DOWN. AND IT SETS OFF AN EXPLOSION. AND YOU CAN DO THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

n3MRJeLXkupN6zF5PjA1eNDUYXq9QzpY_D9LbJYIJm9A263LJWSAKZB7lwmN7AwgKMth1f3jmv_6uyG-WXt-DrcLmXxTWpF-fx-LnD5ohSDVi3BFiBiwCTAfSPw_4_VUHkaXV4b1Olovg2X8TIkrZypvpbuthKgTkx2iIWYlJpgybOhrmCg4yjrlGkQCMtoL2qHY0LVgMy26iReezH5Hn1YmM-kphb0bjMNJju2dLvAYe1pbSBLzamKaHsErIlQmIGkNO8a5m6tJp4xf8gOg1Dfu3Y6YxL_CbthfHX_F8Q0n31Z38rLULGkghNZ6pW2TcUft9eoOwT4IkqamuIotrg0I20iaptDz2iNARanZJCa6ejICbomoABYTmdTAlTAgYw_mrl9Zm-e4TNkonme5fwXame0xVst8oVhwNKZeGMZXNIs-_YyeSJKz8raIFGwmHvg3JAY-w7SwsEjtxz2_5aTI4AYwPeNYD-PYCy7ToY6mRlvZou3Wp5421EWhDHa3prvEHzGfAgisgZkGovnhy8CjEwjBCV8Uy-i8z7xyKCPcdZdrhkDTUA3BCAns24dzGQBuHZssBNFVUFQCFEeSVnzsMmtSSPxIhUGbelIPlyoD9Ytj=w1112-h834-no

Seriously, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do this? Had a bad day at work? Come on down and press the plunger. Kids driving you crazy? Hit the plunger. In-laws coming to visit? Take an hour or two. I am not ashamed in the least to say that I was elbowing my own kids out of the way just so I could blow stuff up. We all had a…

…wait for it…

…great time. Sorry, that Dad Joke was just too obvious.

At long last, the kids got their badges and dusk had fallen. We got seats in the large amphitheater out in front of the memorial for the nightly Lighting Ceremony. Every night as darkness falls, the park shows a 20-minute film on Mt. Rushmore here and then takes the flag down for the evening. They ask for veterans of our armed services to stand and be recognized, and then ask them to come down and join them on the stage to take part in lowering the flag for the night. The national anthem is played, and then the memorial is illuminated for the night. It’s a nice patriotic ceremony and worth seeing one time.

QXBmSZNO7pcPP9RpbUGpCbe14zenZdUsEwqBpHR3zasarKBWfRasrhzcXbObJjkfXj02awmB5a1tXSuIKJZzwi2AWxGD-_qRP7uLz0DOCtMxisW-ABA8P-iKE01KY_QK0YmQ_OUgx0bh3KrKzRhIT-xpD5AQ4kzZajgaWt-VF0_CCpiwI6iSih6T5HkBhR0ZDnC_yZaJldKPqKXkRw8FdPXEJl0nNfXWJ5zpOVfBSNCcqao9Ojz72ust6VoSJe6htWDuvE-9ohkWY1swQWwtcbKtazEJTJtTcjM6Uwyoe7R4jOcqAP8cXzC8QDX3sPYQ1nBXqUeFu1JOOGWNt7yvIh9SbqcGmC8uTSWfL5ySW7uTGOM1zc2bQE6iz9Y6aZwKs13k6lX3pMcOMRwidlCBkbrOPdq4vkn8OophZhvJ3lnVQPDrzCPU2WAIf2qynhzQqEMpap0ReuIefYbKYBGCzgLsDr7Pb5kp9XmfsQhqa2UFAJFrO5iXWhB4Dmu3QG20aKrfyjGq1ceBsttohowN0HWLx_RT6WlDtE5whiDjl5uKekpmJjgBz_cPCpoaHQp_ASHue5LI3b0W4VcOgDRyBPK00AP3X6p8RLuL2drfIj4lyGfc=w626-h834-no

It can make for a bit of a late night for your 2-year-old, though.

Coming Up Next: More photos of rocks!

But the next chapter will have to wait. We’re off to Disney’s Hilton Head Resort! To my American readers: have a happy Thanksgiving! And to my Canadian readers: happy belated Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Thanks for a pre-Thanksgiving update. You two have a fabulous time at Hilton Head! Enjoy every minute! comments later this weekend.

So imagine that they’re all hilarious, just like the rest of my jokes.
Oh really? Where was that joke? I must have missed that update. :rotfl2:

The park is free! But if you want to park your car, it’ll cost you $10 per vehicle to enter.
So, a cheap day for a hitchhiker or vagabond. For anyone else, not so much.

Once again, I am forced to puncture the “perfect family” bubble by posting the behind-the-scenes action:
Oh good, I thought it was just my family who were goofballs.

The experience of visiting Mount Rushmore is similar to that of Devil’s Tower. Once you arrive, you can marvel at the view. And it is indeed impressive. There’s a visitor center with some interesting exhibits and a short trail you can take. But after a while, you get the sense of…well, there it is. Now what?
Yep, I can see that. Definitely looks impressive, I'm sure even more so in person. I'm not sure I'll ever get there since it's really not something to plan a trip around. It's more of a "let's stop by on our way to something" place.

ended up getting a table at the Ruby House, which in no way resembles a cheap Western-themed tourist trap.
Obviously not. It clearly resembles a cheap non-Eastern themed tourist trap.

If you recall, our previous anniversary meal took place in the snack bar of the Old Faithful Lodge. So this was actually an improvement.
Well, things keep getting better. Imagine what you might be doing by your 25th!

Julie, however, really enjoyed her meal—an “Indian taco”—basically a taco served on Southwestern fry bread. She loved it.
Well, in the end, that's what really matters. At least Julie enjoyed it.

Let me say that again. THERE IS A METAL BOX. A DETONATOR. WITH A PLUNGER YOU GET TO PUSH DOWN. AND IT SETS OFF AN EXPLOSION. AND YOU CAN DO THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
OK, I'm in! Maybe I will plan that trip to Mt. Rushmore after all!

We’re off to Disney’s Hilton Head Resort! To my American readers: have a happy Thanksgiving! And to my Canadian readers: happy belated Thanksgiving!
Thanks for the belated wishes. Enjoy your trip and happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I guess I can’t hide the big reveal any longer. I can’t believe none of you figured it out! Our next stop was Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
Talk about misdirection... I never would have guessed.

Oh, did I mention that Julie and I were celebrating our 18th anniversary this particular evening?
Well, at least every anniversary seems to be an adventure!

Here’s our romantic lovebird photo, complete with a kid wondering how long it takes to get a plate of French fries, cookies and ketchup (his staple diet) out here.
Look, if you'd have just waited until he had French fries, cookies and ketchup, then you might have had a good 12 seconds or so to actually get a couples photo sans kids.

It was…ok. The bourbon marinade made it tasty, but—well, ever hear the expression, “He’s tougher than a $5 steak?” This reminded me of that phrase. Only it’s a tourist trap so it was more expensive than a $5 steak.
That sucks.

Didn't even notice the coffee... All I see is a cinnamon roll.

We met a nice couple from St. Louis and suckered them into taking our family photo. Christmas card?

Jj3EspPLU_aIs7owbW3WzTHJdWgRIutaryAJA-4WD8atO1dmtic8KoCogWi0wf0tN6fUzxHsNVwQJLXyLYNwMUFy-isL12ApSBQmZfZczaW-s25dfFYUrYjCXLtqZkVTCKQFjW-dia49NofuIdkOxx_oc_5pFdqB-IWlOa6rHmpFf_8SlqCEaOyC_edMbTYa5TpovTFm3ITfy4CdlrDixJpkV5EmS0h1rJ_Xkk0xvGXFO80Y4DB6RbmRn5_pagBTqZkUtnXAe_nV7dRu1SqnQuLoO_Fqdbk-0_TRT25lWZJQ_1VdHv5FmioV9dHU7K2_lGMAsGf8sw-27FIBM_Hs-ZrpSRjQdfrHaeibDxC4qfU8lWMslO60DBfV1XMgG8Gn7thtAmG1sK5sD8Pr0uuIuWTqOjZPBWt0Ctb9hyE5whrje-OEwwmRpTO35q_oVqgoHnKjiCS6NfnpmOd5miiK-NxwV5p20w3oDs-iGK8EUf1yK0R1QEmh13sqpwT2G2GNFWCjTuiO5jT2qsKXB1yiIFAr5fj-rmYd3XJBJvb145T2if9xid4eQkyh9WGjAAd2QJaBoIjboKG8By4GmiRtVs082DeANjR--ieR1Jp9CsKXAr4K=w1212-h808-no
::yes:: Great picture. The shark coming out of Scotty's chest is the icing on the cake.

We all had a…

…wait for it…

Nope. They're never too obvious. I'm disappointed. I want a refund!

But the next chapter will have to wait. We’re off to Disney’s Hilton Head Resort! To my American readers: have a happy Thanksgiving! And to my Canadian readers: happy belated Thanksgiving!
Have a BLAST!!!!!

Hi Mark! I'm a little late to the party but am here and really enjoying your TR so far!

Great picture of your kids in front of Mt. Rushmore. That seems like a really cool attraction to visit one day!
We’re off to Disney’s Hilton Head Resort!
Enjoy your stay at The Hilton Head! I'm looking forward to hearing your review on it. It looks like a fun place.
To my American readers: have a happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!

More likely, "Why is the toll suddenly $3,000?"

Ouch. Think I'll walk.

I'm still waiting. Haven't lost faith. It's like the Great Pumpkin. I'm still waiting for him, too.

You didn't see him? About 3 weeks ago? Dude, you need to time your bathroom breaks better.

I'm sure there would have been much weeping and gnashing of teeth. And then we'd get over it.

I'm sure you're right. That's the nice thing about a civilized society. No rioting or anything. Like your elections!

Ok. I surrender.

Do you by any chance have some French blood in you?

That's pretty cool! Nice guy.

It was!

Hey, I just got an email from there the other day promising me untold wealth. I'm thinking of taking them up on the offer.

It's legit! I got a similar email! And the cheque's already on its way!

It was! At one point they turned out all the lights so you could experience true darkness. Couldn't even see my hand in front of my face.

Cool. I've heard of that.

Nah, you're not an offender. You only had like 5 or 6 of them. And they were good shots. The ones that drive me nuts are when you get 20 photos of the same thing, including the blurry ones.

Those aren't blurry... their.... artistic.

Thanks, man. I would expect nothing less. You're a true friend.

Yup. I'll be over hear. Away from you.

Things I've learned working for state government: 1. Never make any promises. 2. Never speak in absolutes.

Actually, this works for marriage, too.:duck:

Going back to read the update...

George Washington. One: Father of Our Country. Two: Born on President’s Day. Three: The Dollar-Bill Guy.

Weird how they have coincidences like that isn't it?

Well, you could've given us a little hint.
In my contest, I asked which park I was going to next and I hinted that it was Magic Kingdom.

Mount Rushmore was first conceived as an idea by South Dakota State Historian Doane Robinson in 1923.

Oh! And all these years I thought it was Borglum's idea. Sort of like "I have an idea and I can build it."

and also serve as a draw for tourism to the Black Hills area.

Well, it certainly did that.

whether sculpting a mountain was a worthy art project or a vile defacing of a natural feature.

I'm almost positive this couldn't be done today.
"Hi. I'd like to blow up half a mountain to shove some faces on it, okay?"

Borglum did not live to see the finished work—he died in March 1941, and the project was then completed by his son, Lincoln,

Was fuzzy on the dates, but I did know that. Always wondered if he'd have finished it (as the original model depicted, I mean.)

original-rushmore.jpg

No workers died during the carving of the memorial.

That's actually quite remarkable, given the times.

There are a thousand jokes I could insert here regarding our most recent election but I suspect none of them could pass muster with the DISBoard rules.

:rolleyes1

So imagine that they’re all hilarious

Oh! Okay!! :lmao: :rotfl: Good one!

just like the rest of my jokes.

Oh. Then I'm changing my answer to: :sad2:

Wikipedia has a good aerial view of the whole facility here.

Whoa! Now it's been way too many years, but I'm pretty sure none of that was there when I visited. I think it was just a lot with nothing else there.

The park is free! But if you want to park your car, it’ll cost you $10 per vehicle to enter.

And is there anywhere even remotely close where you could leave a vehicle and hike up?

I gotta know. Did you deliberately pose in a similar way to the monument behind you? Or just a lucky coincidence?

Looks nice, doesn’t it? Once again, I am forced to puncture the “perfect family” bubble by posting the behind-the-scenes action:

7e5Ll2XgcSZ-Y2cdfCdEHE7_w6ZpQK9h2uKEsyNvl4xUvtStdwIaE8ChSIHCLb85FXrBCMJ0SUghviv2YlwH6kTN_MXp74P-PrWqBcMJNIPnRhJTu4apbBfruXEdeu3MbpPOFg4cFXgxOjAPJ2NHQMAt67_Bi53sZORFw9jToEkVbcoE_Y4_BwsVJ6bVaZVDtv_1K8ucyEsBrJ7suTN3hlBGyx5spAhjDP9tG3cS_JGLjGC4anl2xuz1j6fyNIz6XUAUbJjwcxbZWoADAM1A5nZoGLjvBjXH1xT2CRbL_NR0y4BvJmdzemubTbWeRUBGeklMHYG0Jeo-hJRaCTqiRDBhGpiiZ3Q97VxOCDx_XqzQeWulbQPSp0oUE_eoytTdpkg9tWmOd4nEGEEtAGMuRCr7H1YCOt2KEl2hTQ6TMnpzojSPJwW0ZxAHMuxoMJ8mOX57ruL3ROyaAR2U9HqwGYDDDRnALyuk1Qx5GZxCcf3O5CqcURqm8oilgt3wPRq-AyB_tFdJsyCTU4ApGhWhdF9D8Z5nEmnmegS50tKoQ9gC-V-cDjh612AM60t_isOZ0CQNHvRnZkzk392E2xcmiCY-9AiYhR1oJcbF9Yr1kesgoleN=w556-h834-no

:laughing: Okay, that's more like it.

We’re Number One!

Then why aren't you on the first pillar?

And then you reach the wide plaza with the big panoramic view of Mount Rushmore. Up close, it’s quite an imposing, impressive sculpture.

::yes:: I remember that. Even from back then.

We immediately set to work taking photos of our kids with the memorial in the background, using both our good camera and my phone to make sure the kids never knew where exactly to look when taking the photo.

But after a while, you get the sense of…well, there it is. Now what?

And.... I remember that too. "Wow! Cool!..... Now what?"

actually a loop you can do, but once you get past the mountain it involves lots of stairs and climbing and we didn’t bother since we had Drew’s stroller.

Yeah, there's really not much point in making the long trek just to see this:

mt-rushmore1.jpg

But we did get to the bottom of the mountain so we could check and see if any of our distinguished former presidents had any noticeable boogers.

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago. It was just one picture. But it showed a man sitting on a plank suspended by ropes, snipping a tree branch out of Washington's nostril.

For me, the fascination of Mt. Rushmore came from learning about the work itself. It was amazing to think that 400 men hung from various scaffolds and slings and carved this intricate piece of artwork using primarily dynamite. As a piece of art, it’s a stunning achievement on a huge scale. I wouldn’t want a lot of repeated attempts to use nature’s beauty for our own sketchpad, but on the whole I’m glad this place exists.

Agreed. To all that.

No! Happy belated anniversary!

As always, I know how to treat a woman right. Also, I’m blessed beyond measure that I was able to marry out of my league and that Julie hasn’t come to her senses yet.

If you won't tell mine, I won't tell yours.

I like it. Classy.

They had a photo of General George Armstrong Custer on display, which I thought fitting as it symbolized my attempt to win my wife’s heart by having a romantic meal here.

She shot you down, huh?

:lmao:

I figured it was my anniversary, so I was ordering a steak. A bourbon-marinated ribeye, to be exact.

Looks and sounds good....

ever hear the expression, “He’s tougher than a $5 steak?” This reminded me of that phrase.

.... Dang.

guess what? I wasn’t kicked out of the hotel room that night.

Woot! That's a win!

If you recall, our previous anniversary meal took place in the snack bar of the Old Faithful Lodge. So this was actually an improvement.

Christmas card?

I think so. You could do a lot worse.

Ooooh... sounds so... impressive.

Ok, remember what I said about not being able to spend more than a couple hours here at most? Forget that. This baby will keep you busy all day. They’ll have to kick you out of the place.

Really! Huh!

You can have the experience of “carving” Mt. Rushmore. There’s a TV screen. You select a view of the mountain as a work in progress from a menu in front of you. Your selected view shows up on the screen. And then…you blow it up.

No. Way.

Holy crap! I need to see this place. Not 'want'... need.

Seriously, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do this? Had a bad day at work? Come on down and press the plunger. Kids driving you crazy? Hit the plunger. In-laws coming to visit? Take an hour or two. I am not ashamed in the least to say that I was elbowing my own kids out of the way just so I could blow stuff up.

Can't say as I blame you. "Outta the way kid. You don't have any real stress in your life yet."

We all had a…

…wait for it…

And yet... I'm vaguely dissatisfied.

They ask for veterans of our armed services to stand and be recognized, and then ask them to come down and join them on the stage to take part in lowering the flag for the night.

That's a really nice touch. Fitting, given the locale.

It can make for a bit of a late night for your 2-year-old, though.

So that was, what. Around 9pm or so when it started? How long til it ended? Or til you got back to the hotel?

All right! You rock, dude!

To my American readers: have a happy Thanksgiving! And to my Canadian readers: happy belated Thanksgiving!

Well, it's about time. sheesh.

Dang! I should've caught that one!

Mount Rushmore was first conceived as an idea by South Dakota State Historian Doane Robinson in 1923. The genesis of the idea was that it would serve both as a unique memorial to the history of the United States and also serve as a draw for tourism to the Black Hills area.

Because really is there any other reason to visit?

No workers died during the carving of the memorial.

That's pretty good considering Hoover Dam, The Golden Gate and Brooklyn Bridges.

Wikipedia has a good aerial view of the whole facility here.

That's HUGE! That entire area is massive. I would love to take a helicopter tour there!

I like the second one better.

I don't know if I'll ever get there, but it looks massive. Very impressive.

I can see that.

But we did get to the bottom of the mountain so we could check and see if any of our distinguished former presidents had any noticeable boogers.

Lemme guess, you led that campaign and all the boys jumped on board.

We took the kitschy décor in stride.

I like it!

With drool dripping off his chin....and if you feed him cookies and french fries all the time on vacation no wonder he won't eat meatloaf at home!

Julie, however, really enjoyed her meal—an “Indian taco”—basically a taco served on Southwestern fry bread. She loved it.

Julie wins dinner! ding! ding! ding! You could probably wrap a shoe in Indian Fry Bread and it would taste good, although I like powdered sugar and honey.

Yeah, but from what I know the one in Hawaii takes the cake, romantic after dinner pictures to boot!

If you photoshop out all the other folks in the background, and perhaps that shark jumping out of Scotty's belly. :rotfl2:

I really need to stop reading people's TRs from my phone. I didn't understand what you were saying when I read this at first. And I was even more confused when you repeated in all caps. Now I get it! Sounds like fun!

They ask for veterans of our armed services to stand and be recognized, and then ask them to come down and join them on the stage to take part in lowering the flag for the night. The national anthem is played, and then the memorial is illuminated for the night. It’s a nice patriotic ceremony and worth seeing one time.

A nice fitting end to the day.

But the next chapter will have to wait. We’re off to Disney’s Hilton Head Resort!

And tomorrow you're on your way home.....time flies!

Last edited:
First off: Happy Birthday.

Now then…

Chapter 8: George Washington. One: Father of Our Country. Two: Born on President’s Day. Three: The Dollar-Bill Guy.
Do’h!...
You got me on that one.
If I’ve heard it, I can’t for the life of me remember where.

I guess I can’t hide the big reveal any longer.
Well, you could…
Just keep posting unrelated updates about things that no one cares about abd have no relation to the actual trip and you could drag this out for eons.

I know of what I speak, here.

I can’t believe none of you figured it out!
We’re reading your TR…
I do believe that pretty much sums up the extent of our intellectual abilities.

So imagine that they’re all hilarious, just like the rest of my jokes.
Didn’t we just go over the glaring lack of cognitive abilities possessed by your readers?
I’m pretty sure we don’t have the capacity to imagine that one thing is similar to another proven nonexistent thing.

Being located so close to so many major population centers as it is must put a bit of a drag on that revenue source.

Once again, I am forced to puncture the “perfect family” bubble by posting the behind-the-scenes action:

Actually, this looks more like the “perfect” family portrait.

Once you pass the gift shops…
Wait, the gift shop is before the ride?
They’ve Out-Disneyed Disney!

So, basically you undermined Julie’s good work be getting in the way of the process.
That exemplifies the spirit and the definitions of both husband and father.
Good Work!

The experience of visiting Mount Rushmore is similar to that of Devil’s Tower.
Plagued by encounters of an alien nature?

Clark Griswold and the Grand Canyon springs to mind here…
(you didn’t just steal a hand full of cash from the gift shop a moment ago, did you?)

And now I’ve got a scene from Space Balls stuck in my head.
(could be worse)

It was amazing to think that 400 men hung from various scaffolds and slings and carved this intricate piece of artwork using primarily dynamite.
Dynamite: a force for civic beautification.

As a piece of art, it’s a stunning achievement on a huge scale.
Boogers not included.

I wouldn’t want a lot of repeated attempts to use nature’s beauty for our own sketchpad…
Some capitalist you are…

We drove down the hill to the nearby tourist-trap town of Keystone…
The Disney Springs of the Badlands.

and ended up getting a table at the Ruby House, which in no way resembles a cheap Western-themed tourist trap.
It’s no Country Bear Jamboree, that’s for certain.

Oooo… a chance for redemption.

As always, I know how to treat a woman right.
And redemption just flew right out the castle window and plummeted into the swamp below.

Also, I’m blessed beyond measure that I was able to marry out of my league and that Julie hasn’t come to her senses yet.
Preaching to the choir.
(of course my blessing goes by a different name, but still…)

As with most of the places we visit, you do just fine if you have a sense of humor. We took the kitschy décor in stride.
Oh, come off it mate!
You live for kitsch, and you know it.

An Oblivious Last Stand…

Well I applaud the direction

It was…ok. The bourbon marinade made it tasty, but—well, ever hear the expression, “He’s tougher than a $5 steak?”
The execution, however, was beyond your control.
But, Hay… you just saw Mt Rushmore…

It’s not like stopping at McDonalds right after experiencing “South of the Boarder”

We finished our romantic dinner and…guess what? I wasn’t kicked out of the hotel room that night.
I read you last TR…
This was a bit of an improvement.

So, what you’re saying here is that I should have read this line before I comment on the last one, right?

On the drive back up the hill, I couldn’t resist getting a photo of this coffee sign:

xB3TbRPDZeaq_iHbJnBgv3HfNNJuyOjk9Pi0oQjq1W0i_3v9OptbZ4JK_HcTbHh5LSYLBk0T73OIqks7lAf7WYHfx4vOSnrm_u0MfKjOcM4Mf0LXQYtyRSxIYQUEX7xAl-7ZIjFzi_73R2LBhDRxX2ejUe4YQ_HikoOaAj-qb-A_jHBYQMiLpRj0u53Rl73RnjTneNMNP52J6mHRAZGk0zKC8Z7mhYWuHbgha7L4x6PUOY4_8BTLJ9Gr0uPpLODTWu1jT-vmAzTHiS0ZGuektQW6avy6AnH_-G85x_yBrVInw2IMsVnC_sghLESoTw_VB83ZNtgLZrOsB3cDcIKgG5mWaTztTpNTlqJ8VSA2t692v47cNqy2g4vtSNsNcn-1jKIORhTtgRViUFnc89-sX8KUe9ba4KOuDvj5_iA7ZZQ-gvHivv4A_Cdgp2pHalfSXuXOk8azwPE6lUjIiOAlrOaXCTte-SRbJGIZFo2JcSb5e9HPIvAjklCAEaNSea2LeXuwC5hQzWD1gFvtT3Q74ynU-mC3LpgNok9zEMiHRs8OGHEbRuk32zFwe4d6jvdZQv9Xa_UvyIQHO_xYvg8oWV4JV2p93u2aNBpNIW831uKwtbRm=w1212-h808-no
When paired with some Atrocity Brand Doughnuts, it makes for quite the pick-me-up.

We pulled back into Mt. Rushmore as the sun was beginning to set. Let me immediately violate my own rule of not posting photos of the same exact thing over and over again.
Pbbbffft…
We all do it with Disney stuff.
At least you’re showing us something most of us haven’t already seen umpteen times.

Christmas card?

Not bad but I’ll need to see the rest first.

(I suspect you’ve already had to pick one this close to the season But I’ll toss out a vote for the picture that I know y’all took at Car-henge for the Christmas card. Nothing says holidays and solemn observance quite as well as the implied backdrop of a collect of obsolete Detroit Iron in allegorical homage to an ancient cultural construct.)

We went down the stairs into the visitor center and found…

(Hang on, I need a moment to set this up)

Ahem.

I’m sorry, I had my Crusty the Clown voice filter going just then…
Hang on while I go back and read that again.

OK, that’s a bit more impressive.

Do continue.

Well that settles it…
This must have something to do with explosives, right?

I knew it!!!!!

<<heavens open>>
<<bright light illuminates the setting>>
<<disembodied angelic voices sing: “Aaaaaaahhhhhhh…”>>

Seriously, is there any reason why anyone would not want to do this? Had a bad day at work? Come on down and press the plunger. Kids driving you crazy? Hit the plunger. In-laws coming to visit? Take an hour or two.
The only improvement to the thing I can imagine would be if you could change the image that was being detonated to suit your mood.

I am not ashamed in the least to say that I was elbowing my own kids out of the way just so I could blow stuff up.
Every person for themselves!!
(It’s the ‘Merican Way)

We all had a…

…wait for it…

Yeah, but we all said it in our own heads anyway…

And all the wives and mothers rolled their eyes as well.
So mission accomplished. :thumbsup2:

And rolls?

And to you and yours.

You’ll have to share your views on Hilton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter