A Golden-Grand-Slam-Outta-the-Park Alaskan Cruise! COMPLETE 7/18!!!!!!

So.

I LOVE this trip report. LOVE. IT. One of the very best I've read, and since we're headed on our first Wonder cruise AND our first Alaska cruise, I'm reading a LOT of TRs. :)

One question, though, and forgive me if it's a silly question.

My last post got cut off. Weird.

So the question:
What does Pods mean? I get what DH is, but Pods is over my head :)

Thanks!

Ellen! Wow Wow Wow!!!
That is a bummer about the canceled dog sleds...but yes...take what they offer. Sure you can be upset, but I would still want to do something and it sounds like you got a great 2nd choice tour.
Did they give you the shoes to wear there then? I noticed you all had the same kind on so I assumed they must have you where their boats.
I am not so sure I would want to hang over the crevice either. That guy holding on to them doesn't look big enough or strong enough if I start to tumble.
So the Red Onion....I have read about it before...do they allow kids in there...I know they have some "adult" type pictures on the walls.

I finally made it over here Ellen! I'm loving your TR so far! DH & I are thinking about booking an Alaska cruise onboard next year. It will take lots of advance planning for us though, as it's difficult for me to take a vacation in the summer (especially July or August).

All of your pictures are just amazing! The walk in Vancouver looked great - but I will just have to live vicariously through you! I can't wait to see the rest. I especially loved the ones of you and the boys from your early cruise! Wow how time has flown.

I'm sad that you didn't get to go dogsledding, but that glacier looks awesome! And how charming is that town!

I'm guessing that a verandah cabin is a must on this trip, so you can just sit outside and watch all that gorgeous scenery go by!

I am loving your trip report. We are hoping to sail to Alaska in August of 2016 so your report is getting me more excited! Now to wait for the new dates & itineraries.

Ellen!!! Thanks for the link - I spent most of the evening reading through your entire TR. I am LOVING it! As you know, though, it has made me start thinking/dreaming/scheming about doing another Alaska cruise on the Wonder! :eek: :laughing:

I'm looking forward to following along for the rest of your TR. Man, the Alaska cruise is just the BEST! But I can't wait for our cruise together this summer! :cheer2:

I have to admit that I don't really feel like bringing dressy clothes for this trip. A part of me would like to forgo formal night for jeans and a nice shirt at the buffet. As opposed to the NYE cruise, Alaska feels casual to me. Have to think about it and poll the family. However, I wouldn't mind a Palo night, which means I need to bring something at least semi-dressy . . .

Jodie

I have to admit that I don't really feel like bringing dressy clothes for this trip. A part of me would like to forgo formal night for jeans and a nice shirt at the buffet. As opposed to the NYE cruise, Alaska feels casual to me. Have to think about it and poll the family. However, I wouldn't mind a Palo night, which means I need to bring something at least semi-dressy . . .

Jodie
I am feeling the same way Jodie.

Loving the Trip Report!! Great new Avatar also!! Looks just like you!LOL

Well thanks! And yea- I think blue's my color, lol!

Really enjoying your report so far!! We are on the wonder this year to see the wonders of alaska, absolutely can't wait :)

I am SO envious! It is a cruise I could do again and again- and you will have a WONDERful time, I am sure!

So glad you all survived snowpocalypse 2015 too! :lmao:

Reading along I was so excited and then so sad for you all when that helicopter turned around...and then excited again when I saw what you got to do instead! Beautiful and a little scary!

It really is not so scary- you are too busy drooling over the scenery to be too scared. Truth be told, I was more freaked out by the floatplane-

Your Drama about the dog sledding adventure reminds me a bit of one I did during the Panama Canal cruise I was on. It was an evening thing where we took a boat over to an island for dinner and a show. The only thing is it was raining for most of the night. The show was outdoors but it had stopped raining during it. On the way back it absolutely poured with rain. Afterwards Disney had refunded us all for the tour as a few had backed out before it. Overall it was enjoyable except for the odd pitch to buy a photo and DVD of the show afterwards.

Well that was nice of Disney to refund you AND you got to have the excursion, too! Very nice!

Lovely round of photographs! Too bad about the cancelled excursion, but those people needed to just get over themselves, I mean really if they wanted to be stranded on a glacier!

I know, right???

I'm glad that you enjoyed your alternate excursion. Lunch sounded good also, but those tots would have been lunch all by themselves.

Yea, we were a little over-totted. But they were really yummy- so we could not stop!

Oh look, I can see the top of my head in the back of your picture. So glad that I found this trip report. It will be fun to re-live our cruise through your eyes :cool1: :thumbsup2

Cool! Which head are you??? I am so happy you are reading along- what are your plans for this summer?

I am LOVING this trip report because:

(1) I live in Vancouver - well, 45 minutes from downtown. I love seeing our beautiful city through the eyes of tourists!
(2) We are taking our FIRST DCL cruise on the Wonder in September and am soaking up all of your knowledge
(3) If we love the cruise (which I think we will!) we will most likely book onboard for our 2nd one (possibly to Alaska too)
(4) This report is well written and very entertaining :):banana::banana::banana:

Well, thank you SO MUCH!!! I love your city- it is spectacularly beautiful, both scenery and people. My girlfriends and I met a TON of Vancouverites (well, like you- they said they were all Vancouver-ish) on that trip last year- all were really lovely and a ton of fun. You are lucky to live in such an amazing place! Congrats on your vacation plans- Your first cruise is so special- it begins a lifelong obsession with "How do I get back on the ship???" ::yes:: You have a HUGE advantage on Alaska- there is NOTHING like driving home from the port afterwards in under an hour. Easy Peasy. I hope you will love it as much as we do!

Okay how did I fall behind on this? I am all caught up now. And can I just say a big huge WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. Seriously, you brought us up in that helicopter and we got to see Alaska in all its glory!!! A million thanks for that, I'm serious. And I can't even describe how awesome your reporting is, and the pictures of that crevasse, seriously?? We were RIGHT THERE with you. Simply amazing. Thats all I can say. THAT is Alaska, it is exactly what I would go for, exactly what you did. I was blown away.:thumbsup2

YOU are so sweet- I am so glad you felt like you were there, that is totally why I write all this stuff, to share. :goodvibes A million thanks to YOU for telling me you enjoyed it- xoxoxo

Cool! Which head are you??? I am so happy you are reading along- what are your plans for this summer?

The brown curly hair directly over your DH's shoulder ;) My Mom is to my left, dark hair and jacket.

We still talk about how amazing that cruise was. I'm definitely going to do that one again some day.

This summer is a trip to see family in Texas. But DH and I will be back on the Wonder in October for one of the 5-night Baja cruises to celebrate our 20th Anniversary (my Mom and the kids will join us for the 2-night cruise right afterwards).

Well that was nice of Disney to refund you AND you got to have the excursion, too! Very nice!
Very true but part of it was because at the beginning of it they gave poel the option to bale on it because of the weather and about half the poel on it took them up on it. Also there was a CM on the excursion with us they do that from time to time to observe what is going on with them and will report what happens back to guest relations. The refund was actually a surprise when I saw it on my bill on the last day.

Nothing that hasn't been said above ... SMH at those people on your excursion. Some people. :rolleyes1 I'm so glad you guys made the best of it. It looks like a fabulous port day and I can't wait to check out that brewery. YUM.

It is a GREAT port, I am sure you will love it- all the ports were fantastic, to be honest. There is just such GREAT stuff to do in all of them!
OMG - so close!

Yea, well- booking it you kind of know it's a crap shoot. And the later in the season it is, the harder it gets to go- and mid August is just about at the end of the season.

What is wrong with all those other people????? Are they all retarded or something. Of course, safety first. Doh!

There are all kinds out there...

The glacier expedition looks fabulous. I am so glad you went. WOW is all I can say. That must be something to experience first hand! Love all the pics.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I have to say, it was a great experience- and while it was not dogsledding, it was equally amazing- I am sure.

What a fun time in town. I also remember that restaurant from Cynthia's TR. Looks awesome!

That was part of why we went!!

I don't blame you a bit for needing a nap after that day.

Yea- just a tad wiped out.
Tha Magic looks so tiny next to that other ship. Wait? Is that the Magic or the Wonder? I'm so confused for a cruise Newbie! :rotfl2: You are totally making me want to cruise to Alaska! Amazing!

LOL- it's the Wonder- the Magic is too big to fit through the Panama Canal- so just the Wonder goes West. You do need to go- you would be in a photog frenzy up there!!
Loving the Trip Report!! Great new Avatar also!! Looks just like you!LOL

Of course it looks like me! Me in my favorite dress! LOL-

So.

I LOVE this trip report. LOVE. IT. One of the very best I've read, and since we're headed on our first Wonder cruise AND our first Alaska cruise, I'm reading a LOT of TRs. :)

WOW- thank you BEYOND thank you for saying such kind things! You have REALLY made me feel great!! Thank you! :love:

One question, though, and forgive me if it's a silly question.
My last post got cut off. Weird.

So the question:
What does Pods mean? I get what DH is, but Pods is over my head :)

Thanks!

HAHA- good question- one that everyone asks, by the way- not on here, necessarily, but always everywhere. SO- my DH and I met in college, we were good friends. For 3 years. Before we dated. Everyone called him Pods. Like Cher. Or Bono. No other names. Just Pods. So when I started being more than just friends with him, I couldn't switch to calling him Ken. BUT- anyway- the name comes from- when he was a little kid, the band sold a candy called Poddles- and he loved it. So for like 2 weeks of his childhood, he was PODS. And then it went away...UNTIL...he moved into college, and someone from home came to visit, called him Pods, his new roommate heard it and said, "Pods- I like it! That's it!" And...that was it! Seriously- bridesmaids in our wedding (who had also gone to school with him) didn't know his name was Ken- no idea. Soooooo, that's it- not the most exciting story, but a story nonetheless. :jumping1:
it's her nickname for her husband

Yup!!
Ellen! Wow Wow Wow!!!
That is a bummer about the canceled dog sleds...but yes...take what they offer. Sure you can be upset, but I would still want to do something and it sounds like you got a great 2nd choice tour.

Yea- it was a great 2nd choice, it would even be a great 1st choice- especially for someone wanted to spend less $$$$- it was cheaper than the Dogs. But still $$$. There are a lot of amazing excursions in Alaska, and a lot of them are super pricey-
Did they give you the shoes to wear there then? I noticed you all had the same kind on so I assumed they must have you where their boats.

Yes- they had different shoes for different excursions- the glacier ones were more gripping than the dog sled ones- because you are walking on ice.
I am not so sure I would want to hang over the crevice either. That guy holding on to them doesn't look big enough or strong enough if I start to tumble.
So the Red Onion....I have read about it before...do they allow kids in there...I know they have some "adult" type pictures on the walls.

Yes- kids go in there- kids were going up on the tour while we were there.
I finally made it over here Ellen! I'm loving your TR so far! DH & I are thinking about booking an Alaska cruise onboard next year. It will take lots of advance planning for us though, as it's difficult for me to take a vacation in the summer (especially July or August).

Hey Beth! I hope you do book, it is amazing. Why is that a difficult time though?? What happens in July and August?

All of your pictures are just amazing! The walk in Vancouver looked great - but I will just have to live vicariously through you! I can't wait to see the rest. I especially loved the ones of you and the boys from your early cruise! Wow how time has flown.

I know!!! It makes me so sad!!

I'm sad that you didn't get to go dogsledding, but that glacier looks awesome! And how charming is that town!

Absolutely adorable.

I'm guessing that a verandah cabin is a must on this trip, so you can just sit outside and watch all that gorgeous scenery go by!

Yes- a verandah is always nice, but I feel like it is even more necessary in Alaska-

Last edited:
I am loving your trip report. We are hoping to sail to Alaska in August of 2016 so your report is getting me more excited! Now to wait for the new dates & itineraries.

It is so hard to wait, isn't it? I think itineraries should be out in the next month....
Ellen!!! Thanks for the link - I spent most of the evening reading through your entire TR. I am LOVING it! As you know, though, it has made me start thinking/dreaming/scheming about doing another Alaska cruise on the Wonder! :eek: :laughing:

I'm looking forward to following along for the rest of your TR. Man, the Alaska cruise is just the BEST! But I can't wait for our cruise together this summer! :cheer2:

Hey cruise buddy! I am SOSOSOSOSOSOOOOOO happy we are cruising together this summer! I agree, the Alaska cruise is the best- but a cruise on the Fantasy doesn't suck either, lol!!
I cant wait to see all of it!!! We are going on July 20.

You are going to love it!! I hope you have amazing weather and see lots of whales!!

Jodie
I am feeling the same way Jodie.

We did not either- it is definitely more casual, and you need to bring ll those warmer clothes, too, so the packing becomes challenging. Only so much space in that suitcase, ya know?

The brown curly hair directly over your DH's shoulder ;) My Mom is to my left, dark hair and jacket.

Cool! Thanks for letting me know!

We still talk about how amazing that cruise was. I'm definitely going to do that one again some day.

Me too!!

This summer is a trip to see family in Texas. But DH and I will be back on the Wonder in October for one of the 5-night Baja cruises to celebrate our 20th Anniversary (my Mom and the kids will join us for the 2-night cruise right afterwards).

I know some people on one of those! Makes me wish I lived on the west coast!
Very true but part of it was because at the beginning of it they gave poel the option to bale on it because of the weather and about half the poel on it took them up on it. Also there was a CM on the excursion with us they do that from time to time to observe what is going on with them and will report what happens back to guest relations. The refund was actually a surprise when I saw it on my bill on the last day.

A very NICE surprise!!

Ok, let's see how this goes- my first post on the new system. I can tell you it was NOT too much fun doing multiple replies- I am thinking I was doing something wrong.It is hard to be an old dog and learn new tricks!!

We watched the
sail away from Skagway...

I would really like to try Princess someday...

We were off to a lovely dinner in Triton's...

We started with

• "Prince Eric's" Escargots Gratinés
      Herb-marinated Snails with Finely Chopped Mushrooms, topped with Garlic Butter

(Which was only served on my recent NCL Breakaway trip in an up charge restaurant- fwiw....)

Timmy always chooses

• Chilled Jumbo Shrimp
      White and Green Asparagus, Micro Greens and Lemon-Dill Dressing with Horseradish Cream

I love

• Market Green Salad
      Cherry Tomato, Cucumbers, Peppered Goat Cheese, and a Raspberry Vinaigrette

Someone had

• Crispy Roasted Duck Breast
      with Braised Napa Cabbage and Potato Cake, with Pomegranate Jus

I had lamb

And there was salmon (that looks different from what I see on the menu as does the lamb)

And some sort of beef....

DCL restaurants are so pretty!

Do you feel like you are under the sea?

Saving the best for last, with a Gran Marnier soufflé....yum, less than 3 months til my next one!

Why anyone would order something else is beyond me, but they always do!

Well, ok- Tyler loves Creme Brûlée -

Sadly, he said it was not up to his standards, lol. I had no idea I had been raising a Creme Brûlée snob all these years!

Timmy had some of everything-

I LOVE our girls!!!

After dinner, Pods and I went to WaveBands for a little dancing- then turned in kind of early, (even the boys!!!) because tomorrow we were going to be getting off the Wonder SUPER early in Juneau- we had whales to see and king crabs to eat!

Yay! I'm all caught up here! Looks like you had another amazing time, but why would I doubt it? I mean you ARE Podsnel! :tongue: Love the Alaskan outfits on the Mice! so adorable - and of course your private meet up with each of them. I believe these wonderful things happen for you because of your positive outlook and you are always open to adventure!!!!

Your glacier day turned out to be the best, anyway - case in point. I admit the dog sledding sounds more exotic, but you still had an amazing view either way, and heart pounding dangling over a crevice. Looking forward to more!

Ellen, you did well with the update! I love Triton's. For me it is the most beautiful of all the DCL restaurants I have seen so far. Looks like you all enjoyed dinner. And I agree with you on the soufflé!

Doing replies is much easier on the new system. If you want to quote just one post, use the reply button and the text will be added to the reply window at the bottom of the page. You can actually do that with as many posts as you want, but only on that one page. If you go to the next page you would have to cut and paste. However, you can use the +Quote button and once you have selected all the posts you want to quote you use the Insert Quotes button at the bottom left of the reply window.

Finally - and to me this is the best thing ever - you can just highlight the part of a post that you want to quote. Once you highlighted it, there will be a small blue box next to it where you can select Reply or +Quote just like for the post. And with that you are quoting only that part of the post. I find it so much easier to use!

I hope this helps!

Yay! I'm all caught up here! Looks like you had another amazing time, but why would I doubt it? I mean you ARE Podsnel! :tongue: Love the Alaskan outfits on the Mice! so adorable - and of course your private meet up with each of them. I believe these wonderful things happen for you because of your positive outlook and you are always open to adventure!!!!

Your glacier day turned out to be the best, anyway - case in point. I admit the dog sledding sounds more exotic, but you still had an amazing view either way, and heart pounding dangling over a crevice. Looking forward to more!

thanks Tammie! What kind words! It was a disappointment, make no mistake, but we rallied and I am so glad! I think next time I would lie to do the train up and drive back, or do the Dyea Dave thing- the Yukon looks beautiful.

Ellen, you did well with the update! I love Triton's. For me it is the most beautiful of all the DCL restaurants I have seen so far. Looks like you all enjoyed dinner. And I agree with you on the soufflé!

Doing replies is much easier on the new system. If you want to quote just one post, use the reply button and the text will be added to the reply window at the bottom of the page. You can actually do that with as many posts as you want, but only on that one page. If you go to the next page you would have to cut and paste. However, you can use the +Quote button and once you have selected all the posts you want to quote you use the Insert Quotes button at the bottom left of the reply window.

Finally - and to me this is the best thing ever - you can just highlight the part of a post that you want to quote. Once you highlighted it, there will be a small blue box next to it where you can select Reply or +Quote just like for the post. And with that you are quoting only that part of the post. I find it so much easier to use!

I hope this helps!

Magdalene, thank you SOOOO much! I was having to scroll up and down (well, it kind of does it on its own) and it was so time consuming, plus I couldn't keep track of what was on and what was not! I listened to the podcast where they talked about why they switched, and I do understand that, but it is an adjustment and learning process for sure.

Triton's is very pretty, but I love the formal restaurants on the Fantasy and Dream too. The Cinderella slippers on the Dream around the chandelier are just so sweet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter