A Golden-Grand-Slam-Outta-the-Park Alaskan Cruise! COMPLETE 7/18!!!!!!

Bummer that your dogsled excursion got cancelled at the last minute, but to be honest, if the weather does not cooperate - no one would like to be stuck up there. ;)

Visiting the glacier looks pretty neat - wanna come to Austria and see ours? They are neat too. :rotfl2:

Love, love, love your walk around town. It looks like it is right out of a movie set. AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the photos.

I really could do with some hot chocolate right now too (guess you too - were you affected by that storm?) It is cold and miserable here at the moment, but nothing like NYC!!! :scared1:

Those tots look delicious! I probably wouldn't order anything else. :)

Skagway looks like a great little town.

Jill in CO

Wow, you are moving so quickly with your TR!

Your glacier tour sounds amazing! I did a glacier tour (minus helicopter) in Canada once (on the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper) and that was the one thing that I kept telling people about again and again for years after the trip. It is so fascinating! I think you made the right choice! I guess those people complaining about the excursion being cancelled are the same that would complain for a cruise ship changing its course due to a hurricane. I understand that people are frustrated, but the tour company is certainly not at fault!

In December we got hot chocolate when we got back to the ship as well - on Castaway Cay! :lmao: I think it was not weather but season related though... I wonder what we will get in Norway, I guess hot chocolate as well.

The tots look yummy. We will have to see if we have time to go there. The excursion that we are planning doing (Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4) is around 6 hours long and includes lunch. Maybe we can stop in for drinks after - I know Steve would like the sampler.

Brothel? Ladies in the window? Was this Alaska or Amsterdam? :rotfl:

Pods' sandwich looks sooooo good. The loaded tots look delicious. That could literally feed my whole family. :rotfl2:

No way, never, could you get me to look over into that huge frozen hole in the Earth. :faint: I am glad you freaked out appropriately.

Don;t you feel bad for people who get all nuts over something that isn't avoidable? It was cancelled for their safety. :crazy2:

So glad you got to do some sort of excursion there, even if the dogsledding was cancelled. Can't believe those other people didn't want to give the other option a try...isn't doing something cool better than doing nothing at all? Plus, helicopter ride. Even if you never landed anywhere at all, still pretty neat to see the sights from up there.

Stunning! Flying in a helicopter and walking on a glacier would be a bucket list experience, for sure!

For you it should definitely be on the list-

I almost feel sorry for those that missed out on it, but given their attitudes...nah, I don't feel sorry for them.

I know- we just thought how ridiculous they all were! They missed something that was incredible. At some point you have to go with the flow in life and get your panties out of a twist over everything.

Those pictures deep down into the glacier and the crevasse are stunning!

Wow! You know how to spell crevasse! I'm impressed- especially because I don't! :rotfl:

I wouldn't have been able to do it either.

But I did do it. ::yes::

How was your 4 inches. I guess it is better to be safe with everything being shut down. My son Matt told me it was the first time today, that he didn't see the insane traffic of NYC-he said it was almost spooky.

Well, it was more like 6-8. But still, that is a LOT less than 2 feet like they predicted! Yea- it was very quiet outside- I know I am not in NYC, but Pods even had that comment on Monday night. Matt Lauer was laying down in the middle of 5th Ave making snow angels yesterday morning- THAT is QUIET!

I'm not feeling very productive at work this week - so I've been trying to catch up and now stay on top of this trip report :thumbsup2 Going back to the heights thing - I don't know that I would ever get into a helicopter but somehow you've sold me again and WHEN I take my cruise to Alaska I will have to take a helicopter ride to get out on a glacier. However... you will not see anyone dangling me over the edge! It didn't even look like the guy had a good grip on your vests! But I do appreciate the pictures Pods took without falling in ;)

Happy to give you something to do! HAHA- I am VERY glad you would get in the helicopter- it IS worth it! And the guy actually did have a good grip on everyone- it was still nauseating to see, tho- :scared1:

Bummer that your dogsled excursion got cancelled at the last minute, but to be honest, if the weather does not cooperate - no one would like to be stuck up there. ;)

EXACTLY!!!!

Visiting the glacier looks pretty neat - wanna come to Austria and see ours? They are neat too. :rotfl2:

I do! Very much so!!!:thumbsup2

Love, love, love your walk around town. It looks like it is right out of a movie set. AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the photos.

It was a unique place, I really didn't understand it was going to be like that- I mean, I knew there were some buildings, but not all that. And you are welcome!

I really could do with some hot chocolate right now too (guess you too - were you affected by that storm?) It is cold and miserable here at the moment, but nothing like NYC!!! :scared1:

Thanks, but we got a LOT less than they predicted- I think Central Park in NYC had 8 inches- much less than the 24" predicted!

Those tots look delicious! I probably wouldn't order anything else. :)

As a party of 1, you should not- it was hard for the 4 of us to finish- but we fully enjoyed every bite. :thumbsup2

Skagway looks like a great little town.

Jill in CO

We liked Skagway a lot! Lots to see!

Wow, you are moving so quickly with your TR!

Well, I am on a mission.....:)

Your glacier tour sounds amazing! I did a glacier tour (minus helicopter) in Canada once (on the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper) and that was the one thing that I kept telling people about again and again for years after the trip. It is so fascinating! I think you made the right choice! I guess those people complaining about the excursion being cancelled are the same that would complain for a cruise ship changing its course due to a hurricane. I understand that people are frustrated, but the tour company is certainly not at fault!

Ooh- I have heard Banff is beautiful. Standing on the glacier puts it all together, doesn't it?

The people who were upset with the tour company- I just don't get it. It seriously was a minute to minute call. Much rather be safe than sorry!

In December we got hot chocolate when we got back to the ship as well - on Castaway Cay! :lmao: I think it was not weather but season related though... I wonder what we will get in Norway, I guess hot chocolate as well.

LOL- I forget if we had hot chocolate on our NYE cruise, but I do know we had the cold fruited waters in port. I would guess you will definitely have it in Norway! What are the temps supposed to be on your cruise?

The tots look yummy. We will have to see if we have time to go there. The excursion that we are planning doing (Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4) is around 6 hours long and includes lunch. Maybe we can stop in for drinks after - I know Steve would like the sampler.

The tots and beer were great! Your 4x4 experience looks awesome too!! Is that through the ship or on your own?

Brothel? Ladies in the window? Was this Alaska or Amsterdam? :rotfl:

DEFINITELY Alaska, lol- what can I say- Alaska drew a LOT of men looking for gold- not so many girls. Supply and demand makes the world go around-

Pods' sandwich looks sooooo good. The loaded tots look delicious. That could literally feed my whole family. :rotfl2:

His sammy was excellent- I likes it better than mine, I'm not big on fried- but I was in the mood for halibut- and yes, it could have fed our whole family, too- it was a TON!

No way, never, could you get me to look over into that huge frozen hole in the Earth. :faint: I am glad you freaked out appropriately.

It was a looooooooooooong way down-:rotfl:

Don;t you feel bad for people who get all nuts over something that isn't avoidable? It was cancelled for their safety. :crazy2:

Yes I do feel bad for them- I also feel like smacking them. Sort of a pity/smack relationship. Life is too short. Get over yourself!!

So glad you got to do some sort of excursion there, even if the dogsledding was cancelled. Can't believe those other people didn't want to give the other option a try...isn't doing something cool better than doing nothing at all? Plus, helicopter ride. Even if you never landed anywhere at all, still pretty neat to see the sights from up there.

Yes, doing something cool is MUCH better than doing nothing at all, lol! I think they felt like this was less of an experience, because we were already supposed to walk on a glacier AND do dogsledding- and this messed that all up- so it was like half the experience, in their minds, I think. But if they just would have listened to those two girls, they would have understood that it was a completely different walk on a glacier- pretty sure there were no ice holes or crevasses on the dog sled one- don't want tourists sledding into one, what a mess that would be, lol!! And yes, PLUS helicopter ride. As much complaining as they did, they really should have zipped it- they ended up with a free ride in a helicopter, in the end.

Really enjoying your report so far!! We are on the wonder this year to see the wonders of alaska, absolutely can't wait :)

So glad you all survived snowpocalypse 2015 too! :lmao:

Reading along I was so excited and then so sad for you all when that helicopter turned around...and then excited again when I saw what you got to do instead! Beautiful and a little scary!

Your Drama about the dog sledding adventure reminds me a bit of one I did during the Panama Canal cruise I was on. It was an evening thing where we took a boat over to an island for dinner and a show. The only thing is it was raining for most of the night. The show was outdoors but it had stopped raining during it. On the way back it absolutely poured with rain. Afterwards Disney had refunded us all for the tour as a few had backed out before it. Overall it was enjoyable except for the odd pitch to buy a photo and DVD of the show afterwards.

Lovely round of photographs! Too bad about the cancelled excursion, but those people needed to just get over themselves, I mean really if they wanted to be stranded on a glacier!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your alternate excursion. Lunch sounded good also, but those tots would have been lunch all by themselves.

I am LOVING this trip report because:

(1) I live in Vancouver - well, 45 minutes from downtown. I love seeing our beautiful city through the eyes of tourists!
(2) We are taking our FIRST DCL cruise on the Wonder in September and am soaking up all of your knowledge
(3) If we love the cruise (which I think we will!) we will most likely book onboard for our 2nd one (possibly to Alaska too)
(4) This report is well written and very entertaining :):banana::banana::banana:

Okay how did I fall behind on this? I am all caught up now. And can I just say a big huge WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. Seriously, you brought us up in that helicopter and we got to see Alaska in all its glory!!! A million thanks for that, I'm serious. And I can't even describe how awesome your reporting is, and the pictures of that crevasse, seriously?? We were RIGHT THERE with you. Simply amazing. Thats all I can say. THAT is Alaska, it is exactly what I would go for, exactly what you did. I was blown away.:thumbsup2

Nothing that hasn't been said above ... SMH at those people on your excursion. Some people. :rolleyes1 I'm so glad you guys made the best of it. It looks like a fabulous port day and I can't wait to check out that brewery. YUM.

OMG - so close!

What is wrong with all those other people????? Are they all retarded or something. Of course, safety first. Doh!

The glacier expedition looks fabulous. I am so glad you went. WOW is all I can say. That must be something to experience first hand! Love all the pics.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

What a fun time in town. I also remember that restaurant from Cynthia's TR. Looks awesome!

I don't blame you a bit for needing a nap after that day.

Tha Magic looks so tiny next to that other ship. Wait? Is that the Magic or the Wonder? I'm so confused for a cruise Newbie! :rotfl2: You are totally making me want to cruise to Alaska! Amazing!

Loving the Trip Report!! Great new Avatar also!! Looks just like you!LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter