A Gloriously Gluttonous Grand Gathering -- October 2015 *Complete

Just read over your plans so far, and everything looks amazing! But to be honest, I was pulled in by the spreadsheet... I'm a sucker for spreadsheets (and, anything excel related, I tend to use it all the time during my classes... and when people say they don't use it I just HAVE to teach them).
And your spreadsheet looks great!

:welcome: Glad you like the spreadsheet!

BE OUR GUEST, BE OUR GUEST

I woke up this morning to a post on my Facebook newsfeed announcing that Be Our Guest breakfast reservations can now be booked up until October 3! We originally were going to try for this on the 8th, but who am I kidding, I'm going to get it booked as soon as I can!

So, I hopped right onto my computer at 6 AM to try to grab an ADR for October 2nd. The 1st is out of the question since we don't arrive until late morning, and the 3rd is an Animal Kingdom morning, and any changes to that would just cause too much drama in my planning. So I crossed my fingers for the 2nd and hit "search." 8:45! Reserved! I did a happy dance that I got a reservation, switched the Kona Cafe breakfast I had reserved for the 2nd to the 8th, scored a table for all 15 at the same time, did another happy dance, and jumped in the shower to get ready for work.

Then I spent the whole shower mulling over how cool it would be if that reservation were just a bit earlier to we could try to be done eating in time to start up the line for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train or Anna and Elsa. So I got out of the shower, moseyed over to the computer, and clicked "search" again. 8:40! I'll take it! Then I went back in and clicked "search" again. Still 8:40. Darn.

I continued to play the "search" game every time I got a spare minute at work, and by the end of the day I'd gotten us down to 8:25. Not too shabby! I'm still crossing my fingers to get as close as possible to 8 AM to give us the maximum prepark experience, but I think I've made a pretty worthy attempt even if we never get beyond our 8:25.

Does anyone know how much prepark value there is likely to be with an 8:25 ADR on a 9 AM opening day? More importantly, anyone tried BOG breakfast yet? What should I order? I'm leaning toward the cheese plate since I'm not a big breakfast food person. Any reviews or recommendations?

Here's my updated spreadsheet:

30cnbf4.gif

Wow, congrats!! That's quite a score!!! The food looks really good too...I'd be happy with anything just to be there.

Wow, congrats!! That's quite a score!!! The food looks really good too...I'd be happy with anything just to be there.

When are your dates? I've been stalking the 2nd looking for anything earlier than 8:25, and there seems to be constant availability for the 9 O'clock hour. I wouldn't be too worried about not getting anything, as long as you book within a few days after it gets released for your dates.

HEALTHY THOUGHTS NEEDED!

This isn't planning related, but please send some thoughts, prayers, juju, etc. to our littlest furbaby, Buster the hamster. His eyes got very gunky looking last night, and he's become very lethargic, and doesn't want to eat or drink. Maddie's 6th birthday is tomorrow and she is just devastated. I'm about to head to the vet, but from the online research I've done it sounds like it's quite difficult to medicate and treat a sick hamster. Of course, we will try all we can, but we are in need of some positive vibes, pixie dust, etc.

Oh nooo! Poor furball!! Hoping he will get through it!
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately we lost him. :guilty:. We did all we could, but it was just his time to go.

I'm working on another Disney planning related update soon.

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately we lost him. :guilty:. We did all we could, but it was just his time to go.

I'm working on another Disney planning related update soon.

I'm very sorry for your loss. We lost our oldest fur baby (a cat) this week as well. It is so hard. ((hugs))

DINING DILEMMAS

Thanks everyone for the nice words about our furbaby loss.

We have added a new tiny little hamster to our group of pets. Meet Buster 2....

4fts3q.jpg

Now, onto our planning update:

I was able to switch our Via Napoli lunch to an ADR that will allow us all to be at the same table. So now instead of half of us eating there at 11:30 and half of us eating there at 12, we will all be eating at 12:45. This should give us enough time to have Future World completely finished in the morning, so that after we get back from our dessert at the Swan and Dolphin we will be able to completely focus on the World Showcase.

Now, here's where the dilemma comes in....

I was looking over my plans and trying to figure our QS dining plans. We have two QS places in Downtown Disney on our wishlist: Wolfgang Puck Express because we love it and always eat there every trip, and Bongos Express because some in our group really love the regular Bongos, and others wanted to skip it this time, so we made a compromise that we'd try the express version on this trip. I also would like to get a visit to Earl of Sandwich in, but I'm the only EOS fan in our group, so it isn't a top priority. But I don't even know where we'll be able to squeeze in two lunches at Downtown Disney...

For reference, here is our spreadsheet again (sorry, I haven't yet changed the Via Napoli time):

30cnbf4.gif

It looks like we'll definitely have to have one of our DTD lunch days be on the 4th. As for the other one, maybe we could pull it off on the 3rd, but we'd have to take the bus all the way back to POFQ from DHS, and then take the boat to DTD, and by then it will be getting pretty late, and we have a pretty early dinner at Tusker house. So, I'm thinking we'd be better off having lunch at DHS or POFQ. I could keep trying to find a later Tusker House ADR, or possibly reduce our amount of time at DHS that day...

The only other day that would work to get to DTD without completely messing up our park schedule would be our arrival day. Our flight gets in at 11:20, so by the time we get to the resort, start the check in process, and get to DTD, it would probably be 2pm or later. That's pretty late for lunch, especially with us having dinner ADR at Raglan Road.

I'm kind of thinking about canceling Raglan Road, having dinner at WPE instead, and using the extra TS credit for either the Via Napoli Lunch or the Kona Cafe breakfast that we'd been planning on paying for OOP. But I'm just not sure if this is what I want to do, or if I want to try to pick 1 choice between WPE and Bongos Express.

Reasons I'm considering canceling Raglan Road:

• The menu really doesn't sound that good to me. We want to try it because of the good reviews, but nothing really sounds exciting
  • We are concerned about loudness. We have a large group, some of us don't see each other often, and on this first night we will probably be wanting to chat. I worry that Raglan Road might be too loud for that, even with a 5:15 ADR
  • We'd save $ by having an extra TS credit to use on a meal we'd planned on paying OOP for
Reasons I don't want to cancel Raglan Road"
  • It gets such good reviews and I've been wanting to try it for several years
  • I think there's more bang for the dining plan buck to use the TS credit on a dinner rather than a breakfast or a lunch
  • We've been to WPE tons of times, so it really wouldn't be horrible to skip it this time and just do Bongos Express on the 4th
  • A sit down meal just seems more celebratory for our first night
Anyone have suggestions on what the best course of action might be?

Too much food, too little time! :mickeybar

Have enjoyed your thread!

Cute earrings can often be spied in the gift shop in the Grand Floridian, on the monorail level, and Poly and Contemporary gift shops sometimes too! (When Kmart has a jewelry sale, they often have 14K and silver princess earrings at good prices too!)

Raglan Road is very delicious and well prepared, and the entertainment is very festive, and not filled with lager louts, if that is a concern, but if the food is not to your liking, there is no reason to go. If you want decent food in a quiet atmosphere, perhaps Captain's Grill would work? Décor is not too memorable, but food is good, and it is usually easy to snag a reservation.

BTW, maybe the QS, Cookes of Dublin would be a good change, as it is the QS for Raglan Road?

I hope your trip is amazing!

Have enjoyed your thread!

Cute earrings can often be spied in the gift shop in the Grand Floridian, on the monorail level, and Poly and Contemporary gift shops sometimes too! (When Kmart has a jewelry sale, they often have 14K and silver princess earrings at good prices too!)

Raglan Road is very delicious and well prepared, and the entertainment is very festive, and not filled with lager louts, if that is a concern, but if the food is not to your liking, there is no reason to go. If you want decent food in a quiet atmosphere, perhaps Captain's Grill would work? Décor is not too memorable, but food is good, and it is usually easy to snag a reservation.

BTW, maybe the QS, Cookes of Dublin would be a good change, as it is the QS for Raglan Road?

I hope your trip is amazing!

Thanks for these tips! I'm leaning toward keeping Raglan Road, but still not certain. It helps to know that it's not too rowdy, as we'll have little kids with us.

Just popping in quick to say...

We got our Magical Express luggage tags in the mail already!!

Now it really seems real :cloud9:

Maddie already wants to put them on her suitcases and pack! How will we wait 80+ more days??

FOOD AND WINE

Hurray! Full menus have been released and it's time to plan our Food and Wine afternoon!

We have this scheduled as our dinner and entertainment for Thursday, October 6. Based on our current plans, the Food and Wine crew for this evening will include all of us except my aunts and uncles, who have Fantasmic on the agenda, and will be doing F&W another time.

This will also be the only time of the trip we have devoted to the World Showcase, so we will be full on touring between stops at the booths. We should be ready to get started at around 4-5pm, and will probably keep going until closing time at 9. We will try to get through the whole loop. These are the booths I'd like to stop at, and what I'd like to try:

2ex7bsz.jpg

While at the Africa booth, I'll also grab some of the Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz, as I love sweet wine!

2zz54e0.jpg

“Le Cellier” wild mushroom beef filet mignon with truffle butter sauce from Canada-- I don't think Le Cellier is worth 2 TS credits (sorry) but this yummy filet is definitely worth a snack credit! I'd also like to try the Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine while I'm here!

2eusry1.jpg

Fondue from the cheese studio! This Wisconsin girl loves cheese!!!

1z38foh.jpg

Beijing roasted duck in steamed bun with hoisin sauce from China!

I can't find a picture, but of course I will stop at the Dessert and Champagne booth (duh!).
Orange Blossom Brewery Toasted Coconut Porter float with caramel ice cream sounds amazing!

Speaking of yummy sounding drinks, I'll also stop at the Dominican Republic booth for a Frozen sugar cane cocktail featuring Ron Barceló Blanco Rum!

2hfmlas.jpg

I also must drink this Pomegranate Kir from France!

2hqcrph.jpg

Hawaii is also a must-do for this Kālua pork slider with sweet and sour Dole® Pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise and a Mai Tai!

Last but not least...

4kdz6c.jpg

This Filetto di pollo, con funghi al marsala and a Limoncello Margarita from Italy!

I have to admit, I'm a F&W newbie. We've been during the festival before, but we've always been too booked up with ADRs to participate in it much. This time around I scheduled dinner time specifically for F&W booths.

Is my list reasonable? Or will I end up too stuffed and tipsy to enjoy the evening? Also, did I pick yummy things? Any must-haves that I missed? I can narrow down and revise my list if needed, but it won't be easy!

UPDATES AND FASTPASSES

It's been a while since I've been able to update, and we've had a lot of updates!

First of all, we've confirmed that my 'lil sis, Dr. E, will be joining us for the first full day of the trip, up to day 6 or 7. Yay! My Uncle's grandson won't be along, so that puts our official count at 14 (including one infant).

Planning Fastpasses for 14 is not easy. Especially when people have different preferences for how they want to spend their days. It took tons of conversation both in-person (Disney powwows, if you will) and in our Facebook group, but we had a plan finalized at the 11th hour, and were able to get pretty much everything we wanted.

So, here's the plan:

Day 1:

• Arrival
  • No Parks
  • Dinner at Raglan Road (5:45)

Day 2:

• BOG Breakfast (8:25)
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Splash Mountain Fastpass (12:20-1:20)
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Fastpass (1:20-2:20)
  • POTC Fastpass (3:15-4:15)
  • 1900 Park Fare Dinner (6:35 and 6:55)

Day 3:

• Hollywood Studios
  • Tower of Terror Fastpass (9:05-10:05)
  • TSM (10:20-11:20)
  • Star Tours Fastpass (11:20-12:20)
  • Resort Break
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Festival of the Lion King at either 3pm or 4pm
  • Tusker House Dinner (4:35)
Day 4:
  • No Parks for Me, Maddie, DH, Rachelle, or the in-laws
  • Epcot for Mom, Stepdad, Dr. E, Aunts and Uncles
  • Epcot fastpasses for the part of our group attending include Soarin, Spaceship Earth, and Mission Space
  • Perfectly Princess Tea Party (10:30, Maddie and I only)
  • DTD QS Lunch (Wolfgang Puck Express probably)
  • Trader Sams
  • Packer Game
  • Maddie at Lilo's Playhouse (7 PM)
  • Dinner at Narcoossee's (7:25, 7:30)
Day 5:
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle Fastpass (9:30-10:30) (Me, Maddie, DH, Rachelle, and in-laws only)
  • 7 Dwarfs Mine Train Fastpass (10:30-11:30)
  • Be Our Guest Lunch (12:20)
  • Haunted Mansion Fastpass (1:35-2:35) (Mom, Stepdad, Dr. E, Aunts and Uncles only)
  • Anna and Elsa Fastpasses (1:50-2:50, 2-3, and 2:30-3:30) (Me, Maddie, DH, Rachelle, and in-laws only) (don't ask me how these got split up. We are just going to plan on being there at 2:30 when they all overlap.)
  • Splash Mountain (2:35-3:35 (Mom, stepdad, Dr. E, Aunts and Uncles only)
  • Epcot
  • Akershus Dinner (6:30) (all except Aunts and Uncles)
  • Rose and Crown Dinner (7:15) (Aunts and Uncles only)
  • Illuminations
Day 6:
  • Epcot
  • Character Spot Fastpass (9:20-10:20)
  • Turtle Talk Fastpass (10:25-11:25)
  • Soarin Fastpass (11:25-12:25)
  • Via Napoli Lunch (12:45)
  • Boat ride to Swan/Dolphin for dessert, then back to Epcot
  • World Showcase exploring and Food & Wine dinner
Day 7:
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Safari Fastpass (9:10-10:10)
  • Everest Fastpass (10:15-11:15)
  • Dinosaur Fastpass (11:15-12:15)
  • Flame Tree Lunch
  • Aunts and Uncles go to MK for BOG dinner (4:10)
  • The rest of us go to Wilderness Lodge for Whispering Canyon dinner (6:25)
  • Magic Kingdom
  • MSEP
  • Wishes
Day 8:
  • Kona Cafe Breakfast (7:35)
  • Magic Kingdom (if needed to finish up anything we didn't get to)
  • DHS
  • Tower of Terror Fastpass (1:10-2:10)
  • Frozen Singalong (2:35-2:50)
  • TSM (3:30-4:30)
  • Mama Melrose Fantasmic Package Dinner (4:45)
  • Fantasmic (7:30)
Day 9
  • Go Home :crazy2:

I'll have an updated spreadsheet later this week!

Last edited:
Your plans look amazing! I'm so impressed by all the coordinating it must have taken...I'm planning the whole thing for just my DD and I and that's about all I can handle lol

FOOD AND WINE

Hurray! Full menus have been released and it's time to plan our Food and Wine afternoon!

We have this scheduled as our dinner and entertainment for Thursday, October 6. Based on our current plans, the Food and Wine crew for this evening will include all of us except my aunts and uncles, who have Fantasmic on the agenda, and will be doing F&W another time.

This will also be the only time of the trip we have devoted to the World Showcase, so we will be full on touring between stops at the booths. We should be ready to get started at around 4-5pm, and will probably keep going until closing time at 9. We will try to get through the whole loop. These are the booths I'd like to stop at, and what I'd like to try:

2ex7bsz.jpg

While at the Africa booth, I'll also grab some of the Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz, as I love sweet wine!

2zz54e0.jpg

“Le Cellier” wild mushroom beef filet mignon with truffle butter sauce from Canada-- I don't think Le Cellier is worth 2 TS credits (sorry) but this yummy filet is definitely worth a snack credit! I'd also like to try the Neige Premiere Apple Ice Wine while I'm here!

2eusry1.jpg

1z38foh.jpg

I can't find a picture, but of course I will stop at the Dessert and Champagne booth (duh!).
Orange Blossom Brewery Toasted Coconut Porter float with caramel ice cream sounds amazing!

Speaking of yummy sounding drinks, I'll also stop at the Dominican Republic booth for a Frozen sugar cane cocktail featuring Ron Barceló Blanco Rum!

2hfmlas.jpg

2hqcrph.jpg

Hawaii is also a must-do for this Kālua pork slider with sweet and sour Dole® Pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise and a Mai Tai!

Last but not least...

4kdz6c.jpg

This Filetto di pollo, con funghi al marsala and a Limoncello Margarita from Italy!

I have to admit, I'm a F&W newbie. We've been during the festival before, but we've always been too booked up with ADRs to participate in it much. This time around I scheduled dinner time specifically for F&W booths.

Is my list reasonable? Or will I end up too stuffed and tipsy to enjoy the evening? Also, did I pick yummy things? Any must-haves that I missed? I can narrow down and revise my list if needed, but it won't be easy!

FOOD AND WINE

2ex7bsz.jpg

2zz54e0.jpg

2eusry1.jpg

1z38foh.jpg

2hfmlas.jpg

2hqcrph.jpg

Last but not least...

4kdz6c.jpg

It sounds delicious!!! This is my first time to Food and Wine!! I can't wait, arriving October 4.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter