A four year old's touring plan. This one's not in the books!

As we ate our snacks, the lights started coming on in Cars Land. It was a fun sight to see, and it really made Cars Land seem even more magical, and authentic. The neon lights really make you feel like you're back in time on the old Route 66.:)
DSC_05122.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

Carter REALLY wanted to open his new Lightning McQueen car, so I figured it was a good place to let him play for a bit. You'll notice from here on out, that Carter has the car with him in almost every photo.:rotfl:
DSC_0509.jpg

Next up...Mater's Junkyard Jamboree! Surprise!:lmao: On our way to the ride, we saw Mater, so we got in line for the meet and greet. Carter was excited to show his new car to Mater.:) When Carter held up Lightning McQueen, Mater said, "That's my best buddy, Lightning McQueen!" He also made some kind of truck noises.

This is another of my favorite photos from our trip. Carter was so excited and delighted to show his car to Mater!
DSC_0513.jpg

Carter and Mater
DSC_0515.jpg

We stopped to watch DJ's Dance Party, then headed over to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
DSC_05162.jpg

As we entered the line for Mater's, one of the cast members said something about Carter's car, and he proceeded to tell them all about how it worked. He's a friendly little guy and loves to talk to people!
DSC_05192.jpg

Waiting to ride Mater.
DSC_05212.jpg

After several rides, we did a little shopping on Buena Vista Street, then headed out to the plaza to see the fireworks. It was the perfect way to end our day!
DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

When the fireworks ended, we joined the crowds heading out of the parks, hopped on a Toy Story shuttle and made our way back to our car. It was after 10:30, but we were hungry, so I did a late night drive-thru at McDonald's before hitting the freeway. I figured we'd get back to healthier eating when we got back home!;)

I drove back to the Universal Hilton where Larry was waiting in the lobby to carry a sleeping Carter up to our room. The next day Carter and I would get to sleep in and hang out at the hotel for the morning while Larry attended a few business meetings.

Next up, I'll wrap up this trip report with pics from the following day, and some final thoughts on our trip.:)

Day Four- We slept in this morning!:thumbsup2 Well, until 8am, but considering our other early mornings, I looked at 8am as sleeping in! Larry left around 7:00 for Woodland Hills on business and would return around 11:30 for check-out.

We enjoyed a nice, relaxing morning in the room. Carter played with his toys and watched some cartoons while I organized and packed. Room service arrived around 8:30 with our breakfast. We had been eating on the fly for the past few days, so sitting down to a hearty breakfast was delightful.:) I had to laugh at Carter's reaction, though. Here we had a beautiful spread of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, toast, juice, milk and assorted jams and jellies. Carter looked it all over and casually remarked, "I guess he forgot my steak." Um, we didn't order steak.:rotfl: I'm not sure where he got it from, but he's mentioned lately that "guys" eat steak. When I told Larry about Carter's breakfast comment, he told Carter that he and Carter and his dad will get together soon and have a guys' night out at the Longhorn Steakhouse. Too cute!:)

After a shower for me and tub time for Carter, we went for a walk around the hotel grounds.

Carter and, of course, his new car!
DSC_0542.jpg

This photo makes me laugh, because it reminds me of another comment by Carter. He very much wanted to pick some of these flowers, but I explained to him that the flowers were planted outside the hotel to make the grounds look really pretty, and the flowers were there for people to look at and enjoy. Carter's response: "Well, I'm not enjoying them." I guess he figured if he couldn't pick them, he certainly wasn't about to enjoy them.:lmao:
DSC_0545.jpg

Playing with his car in the pool area.
DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

Larry returned from Woodland Hills, we checked-out, then took the shuttle over to City Walk for lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. Carter thought this particular chicken tender was shaped like a guitar.:)
DSC_0565.jpg

After lunch, we took the shuttle back to the Hilton and hit the road. We arrived back in Phoenix around 8 that night.
DSC_0566.jpg

So there you have it! Two days at Disneyland with a four year old (almost five!) making most of the decisions! I loved it and he loved it, and I will definitely do other "Gramma and Me" Disney trips with our other grandkids when they're around the same age as Carter.

I asked Carter what his favorite attractions were and he said: "All of them!" Well, okay! He then told me that he wished he could ride the Radiator Springs Racers all day long.:laughing: I asked him what his top three things were at Disneyland and he said, the Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Disney Jr. Stage Show.

He definitely preferred DCA over DLP, as we started and ended both days at DCA. His favorites at DLP were the Jedi Training Academy and spending time exploring ToonTown. I thought he'd like Toy Story Mania and Pirates of the Caribbean more than he did, and I thought he'd want to spend more time in Fantasyland. We were there a year ago, though, and covered quite a bit at DLP, so maybe that had something to do with it. Of course, we covered Cars Land a year ago, too!

I have to say, I feel so blessed to be a grandparent and to be able to spend so much time with our sweet grandkids!:lovestruc Carter and I had a wonderful time!

Thank you so much for sharing - really enjoyed your trip report. No rushing, on the fly touring! It is what we're hoping to achieve on our next visit.

Really enjoyed your trip report! I can totally relate because I have a 5 1/2 year old grandson. He's not much into the Cars theme anymore (more of a Transformers kind of guy lol) but I am hoping he and his mommy, daddy and new baby sister can come out for a visit so I can take them to DL and DCA. I think he would love Cars Land too! You are a great Grandma - looks like you both enjoyed your visit even at his pace (which is what I would like to do with my grandson)!

Great report! I'm hoping to do a similar trip with my grandson in a couple of years. I'm glad you both had such a wonderful time!

I loved reading this! One on One trips sound like so much fun, especially when they're child led!

Loved coming along on your TR. It was a lot of fun to just see and "do" things through a child's eyes. Congratulations on your next grandbaby, whom I'm guessing is here by now? Can't wait for your next Gramma and Me TR.

Thank you so much for sharing - really enjoyed your trip report. No rushing, on the fly touring! It is what we're hoping to achieve on our next visit.

Thank you! Yes, it was a relaxing, no pressure trip!

Really enjoyed your trip report! I can totally relate because I have a 5 1/2 year old grandson. He's not much into the Cars theme anymore (more of a Transformers kind of guy lol) but I am hoping he and his mommy, daddy and new baby sister can come out for a visit so I can take them to DL and DCA. I think he would love Cars Land too! You are a great Grandma - looks like you both enjoyed your visit even at his pace (which is what I would like to do with my grandson)!

Oh, I hope you get to take your grandson to Disneyland! It's truly a different experience seeing everything through the eyes of a grandchild! Carter is also into Transformers and I was VERY tempted to take him to Universal Studios on our last morning there, because I know he would have LOVED to have seen the Transformer guys that hang out near the ride. However, there really isn't a lot at US for little kids, so I figure I'll wait until he's a bit older for that park!

Great report! I'm hoping to do a similar trip with my grandson in a couple of years. I'm glad you both had such a wonderful time!

I hope you get the chance to take your grandson!:thumbsup2

I loved reading this! One on One trips sound like so much fun, especially when they're child led!

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and I are now best friends!:rotfl:

Loved coming along on your TR. It was a lot of fun to just see and "do" things through a child's eyes. Congratulations on your next grandbaby, whom I'm guessing is here by now? Can't wait for your next Gramma and Me TR.

Thanks for following along! And, no, our new grandson is taking his time getting here! Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I don't like this waiting!:headache: Of course, my daughter is more than ready for the little guy to make his appearance!

This trip report is so touching! I just love it! I love that you got to spend an awesome trip with your adorable little grandson. I have a recently turned five year old boy and a three year old boy and really related with a lot of your trip, especially the multiple times riding attractions and carrying around a new found favorite toy. This is so special and something he will remember forever! I cannot wait to be a grandma and take my grandkids on amazing trips like this! Thank you so much for sharing, you are an awesome, fun grandma!

Great report! What a wonderful experience for Carter. I'd love for my 3 year old son to do the same thing with my mom-but really, there's no way I'd let them go without me!

This TR brought back great memories of my first trip to Disneyland when I was around Carter's age! My parents and I are really glad that your family had a wonderful time at the Happiest Place on Earth!

By the way, AWESOME Lightning McQueen lunchbox!

This trip report is so touching! I just love it! I love that you got to spend an awesome trip with your adorable little grandson. I have a recently turned five year old boy and a three year old boy and really related with a lot of your trip, especially the multiple times riding attractions and carrying around a new found favorite toy. This is so special and something he will remember forever! I cannot wait to be a grandma and take my grandkids on amazing trips like this! Thank you so much for sharing, you are an awesome, fun grandma!

Thank you for your kind words! Enjoy your boys while they are young, because they really do grow up fast! We are having so much fun doing all the fun stuff with our grandkids that we did with our own three kids. Circle of life! Ha! Ha!

This is excellent! I am glad you had such a great time!

Thanks for reading my trip report!:)

Great report! What a wonderful experience for Carter. I'd love for my 3 year old son to do the same thing with my mom-but really, there's no way I'd let them go without me!

Yeah, I think the next trip will include gramma, grampa, daughter, son-in-law and all the grandkids!

This TR brought back great memories of my first trip to Disneyland when I was around Carter's age! My parents and I are really glad that your family had a wonderful time at the Happiest Place on Earth!

By the way, AWESOME Lightning McQueen lunchbox!

I'm glad my trip report brought back happy memories for you! Yes, Carter loved that his lunch came in a Lightning McQueen car!:thumbsup2

And now for my big update...our third grandson arrived on June 27th.:love: Here is a pic of Harrison! Baby Harry weighed 8lbs. 7oz., and as you can see, he is as cute as can be!:)
DSC_012888.jpg

Harrison with big brother and big sister.
DSC_008801.png

I think Carter is going to be a wonderful, loving big brother!
DSC_0120.jpg

Thanks for the great trip report. It was fun to read. It is something dh and I would love to do once we have grandkids.

Congrats on your latest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter