A Foodie's Honeymoon - Better Late than Never DR - Hollywood Brown Derby 10/23

It's a great thing when your trip starts out with a 5/5!!! I know that when my DD and I were trying to get to Les Chefs we had a super stressful journey there as well and then we had an amazing meal and we were happy again by the time we left. Your pictures are beautiful and I've been very excited to for this review to start! I can't wait to read more!

UPDATE:
I am flying home today and have started collating all my thoughts and impressions for my reviews. I took 64GB of photos, lol. Not all are food but a good half is. I will start my reviews soon. If anyone is interested, I can also do a post about how I take my pictures including tips on photography, lighting, etc. It has been a glorious week at Disney but I am ready to go home to my sweet two-year old DD and my not so sweet but pretty cat. DH and I decided we will return in seven years to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian for 10 days. We fell in love with this resort on our stay. It will take that long to save up for it but it will be worth it as DD's very first trip to see Mickey. I just hope there is a way to take in a meal at V&As again when we visit for our anniversary.

I (am I'm quite certain I'm not the ONLY one), would love to hear your tips on lighting and such. I'm an amateur photographer but feel I have a decent eye as well.....however, lighting is always tricky, esp in low light restaurants! I have a Canon Rebel xTi (would love to upgrade my 4 year old camera but just can't afford it at this point)...I've heard that Nikon's were better in low light but I need to be able to use my existing 50mm and 80-300 zoom lenses....so it looks like I'll need to stay with Canon :rolleyes:

nanienamou said:
So happy to see that your reviews have begun! And it's awesome that they fit you in at Le Cellier for dinner! :thumbsup2

The reviews will be coming in every other day I hope. Yes, I was really thankful that the manager sent pixie dust our way and squeezed us in. This meal turned out to be one of the best I had all week,

ksromack said:
I am subscribing to your thread as I really enjoyed both your photography AND descriptions of the food! I'm ashamed to say that I'm not sure it's the food or the WDW flair that I'm addicted to. While hubby and I have gone for long weekends to his father's cabin in the hills of West Virginia, this is technically our honeymoon as well! We married 11 years ago after both having been divorced before. Up till now all of our vacations have been with 2-5 children in addition to ourselves. I'm so looking forward to our trip as well as your trip report :goodvibes Your photography is amazing and I'm going to attribute some of that to your art background but much to your natural "eye". :worship:

Thank you so much! I think I get odd states at the restaurant though because I sometimes take so long to get the right shot, lol. I am happy that people taking pics of food is more common nowadays otherwise, the stares would be more common. XD

emmysmommy said:
What a great start to your trip with a 5/5 for Le Cellier!! Your photos are stunning which makes me ask - do you pubish any photos professionally because you have such an amazing talent. I'll definitely need to read up on your photo tips!

Sorry your trek to get to LC was such a stressful event but I hope after that things went smoother!!

I'm looking forward to so many more wonderful reviews!! :goodvibes

Your 7-year plan sound like something amazing to look forward to! ::yes::

Aww thanks, Brenda. No, I never had them published. Food photography is a hobby for me and I never pursued it seriously. During this trip, I did have thoughts of what it would be like to get paid for taking pics of food, lol. The photo tips will be at the end of the review. Looks like I definitely have to do it. :)

Tracerr00 said:
It's a great thing when your trip starts out with a 5/5!!! I know that when my DD and I were trying to get to Les Chefs we had a super stressful journey there as well and then we had an amazing meal and we were happy again by the time we left. Your pictures are beautiful and I've been very excited to for this review to start! I can't wait to read more!

I had the same experience, Tracy! After the meal, it seems like it was all worth it. Thank you so much for the compliments.

ksromack said:
I (am I'm quite certain I'm not the ONLY one), would love to hear your tips on lighting and such. I'm an amateur photographer but feel I have a decent eye as well.....however, lighting is always tricky, esp in low light restaurants! I have a Canon Rebel xTi (would love to upgrade my 4 year old camera but just can't afford it at this point)...I've heard that Nikon's were better in low light but I need to be able to use my existing 50mm and 80-300 zoom lenses....so it looks like I'll need to stay with Canon :rolleyes:

I had the same camera before I got the Nikon. I use a Nikon 5100 with a 50mm lens. I should have brought the default lens because the 50mm is only good for food photography, lol. Low lights kill me and so does reddish food in low yellow light. I had a few tough situations in several restaurants with Sci-fi being the killer. Scifi was tricky lighting wise and space wise. I am not really happy with the pics from Scifi. The table in the cars was unbelievably tiny and the lighting almost non-existent.

So happy your reviews have started! :yay: And they started with a bang!! My goodness what a stressful trip to get to the Le Cellier. :faint: Kudos to the team there for giving you a spot at dinner. So glad you enjoyed it!! :thumbsup2

Your pictures are amazing!! You're making me regret not having Le Cellier in the line up when we go in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

8037381587_0db203e55c_c.jpg

Tuna &Salmon Sensation Appetizer

This appetizer is very simple and very delicious. The tiny cubes of tuna, salmon, and avocado are lightly dressed in a sweet mirin like dressing. The portion is perfect and the dish itself is light and refreshing. This is the perfect appetizer for sashimi lovers like me.

alicerating5.jpg

8037392747_9afc0b093a_c.jpg

Deluxe Sushi Platter

Of course I chose this entree! I am a huge sushi addict. With this in mind, I was expecting a solid entree since the appetizer is similar. Unfortunately, I was proven wrong. I am picky about sushi rice. It has to have the stickiness, consistency, and marinated flavour. The rice in this sushi platter seemed to lack the flavoring component. It was like eating sushi with regular white rice. I quickly turned this sushi dish into an impromptu sashimi platter- ie, I took out all the rice and found it more palatable. The assortment of fish itself also lacked the distinct marinating flavour found in tasty sushi. The fish is usually marinated to add the extra dimension. Sadly, this was a disappointing dish for me.

tweedledeetweedledumrating2.jpg

8037388750_2518377d96_c.jpg

Grilled Salmon Entree
DH had this and he found the salmon bland. He didn't like it.

8037392206_a402254249_c.jpg

Green Tea Pudding
This was amazing. It tasted like dulce de leche but flavored with matcha. It was creamy and just melted on your tongue. The matcha flavour is so subtle and adds an extra dimension to the sweetness of the flan pudding. This was wonderful and a great compliment to the appetizer.

alicerating5.jpg

Overall, I loved the app and the dessert and didn't care for the entree. I did my math and the score of 2/3 = 3/5. Tokyo Dining gets a solid 3/5.

madhatterrating3.jpg

Oh so sorry the entrees at Tokyo Dining didn't deliver as expected. Although for the entrees you would expect TD to have been better. Glad dessert was a perfect score! I love flan so would likely really like this as well.

I think your pictures make the food look much better than they actually were!!

Tokyo dining has never been on our radar. We like Sushi (but my husband can have very little of it.) but we have to be in the right mood for it and that is hard to plan for when at WDW.

Sorry it was disappointing for you! The appetizer does look really good though!

At Tokyo Dining, I had the same appetizer and dessert and also really enjoyed them. :) Sorry the entrees weren't up to par.

Once again, the pics are absolutely gorgeous. :goodvibes

2xcited2sleep said:
So happy your reviews have started! :yay: And they started with a bang!! My goodness what a stressful trip to get to the Le Cellier. :faint: Kudos to the team there for giving you a spot at dinner. So glad you enjoyed it!! :thumbsup2

Your pictures are amazing!! You're making me regret not having Le Cellier in the line up when we go in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

The manager at Le Cellier was super sweet. I am really thankful because otherwise I would have missed an incredible meal. Le Cellier is one of my favorite restaurants now.

emmysmommy said:
Oh so sorry the entrees at Tokyo Dining didn't deliver as expected. Although for the entrees you would expect TD to have been better. Glad dessert was a perfect score! I love flan so would likely really like this as well.

Brenda, you would have loved it. The pudding was also a nice-sizer and easy to finish. :)

rachel09985 said:
your food photos are beautiful! What lens are you using and are you using an external flash??

Thank you, Rachel! I am using a Nikon 5100 with a 50mm lens. Due to personal preference, I hate using flash. This makes my life extremely difficult when taking dinner pictures. The low light and almost no light seems to be common in most restaurants.

NoOrdinaryPrincess said:
It's nice to see a Tokyo dining review! Even if you didn't like your dinner very much. :headache:

I was really looking forward to Tokyo Dining since Japanese cuisine is my favorite. I did hit up another restaurant with sushi later on and I will get to that review soon. :)

smile4stamps said:
I think your pictures make the food look much better than they actually were!!

Tokyo dining has never been on our radar. We like Sushi (but my husband can have very little of it.) but we have to be in the right mood for it and that is hard to plan for when at WDW.

Sorry it was disappointing for you! The appetizer does look really good though!

I would recommend Kimonos at the Swan & Dolphin if you both are really hankering for hardcore sushi. It seems like the reviews are consistently better there from what I have read. I did eat sushi at California Grill later in the week but I'll spill the details when that review is up.

DonaldDoleWhip said:
At Tokyo Dining, I had the same appetizer and dessert and also really enjoyed them. :) Sorry the entrees weren't up to par.

Once again, the pics are absolutely gorgeous. :goodvibes

You and I seem to pick the lighter, seafood, non-meat dishes. :) I like eating something I have never had before or choosing the unexpected choice when I can. I sometimes wish all dishes were served tapas style- that way I get to taste everything without completely filling up on one thing.

Oh my gosh! I'm late to the party but your photos are STUNNING. I don't know how you shot such gorgeous photos in Le Cellier of all places! And your photo of the filet made me drool. I LOVE mushrooms and truffles, it's been a few years since we ate at Le Cellier but you're making me want to go back SOON! :goodvibes

Thank you, Rachel! I am using a Nikon 5100 with a 50mm lens. Due to personal preference, I hate using flash. This makes my life extremely difficult when taking dinner pictures. The low light and almost no light seems to be common in most restaurants.

Oh, I am sooo thankful to hear you say you used the 50mm lens!!!I have the Canon 50mm f 1.8 and I was sooo worried it would be too much zoom. Actually, I posted on the Photography Board asking if 50mm would be okay for food pictures and I was kinda of laughed at.. But I will have to use it now especially in the dark restaurants!!

I'm going to say what everyone else has......Amazing photography!!! :goodvibes Just beautiful shots! I really need to invest in a DSLR, I have an Olympus pen and it really takes nice photos but no where near yours! Next big purchase lol!

I'm glad your meal at LeCellier was great! We are so looking forward to our dinner there! Sorry about TD, I've never been there before, but the reviews have been like yours, good apps but so so meals!
Can't wait to hear more :)

BlovesC said:
Oh my gosh! I'm late to the party but your photos are STUNNING. I don't know how you shot such gorgeous photos in Le Cellier of all places! And your photo of the filet made me drool. I LOVE mushrooms and truffles, it's been a few years since we ate at Le Cellier but you're making me want to go back SOON! :goodvibes

I just left and I want to go back to Le Cellier again, lol.

rachel09985 said:
Oh, I am sooo thankful to hear you say you used the 50mm lens!!!I have the Canon 50mm f 1.8 and I was sooo worried it would be too much zoom. Actually, I posted on the Photography Board asking if 50mm would be okay for food pictures and I was kinda of laughed at.. But I will have to use it now especially in the dark restaurants!!

I think people put too much emphasis on the equipment to be honest. Not everyone has the cash to drop $600 on a macro lens. For me, food photography is a wonderful and enjoyable hobby. My 50mm lens cost $150 and yes, the Nikon dslr is pricey. For professionals or those who are really committed, good for them to get the latest and best equipment to get the best photos. I think though that it is your style and your point of view that creates the best photography. The most beautiful art can be made with just a pencil and paper. Whether you have a macro lens or the 50mm lens, the results lie with the photographer. I do want to get a macro lens someday but I am quite happy and content with my 50mm. :)

AvasMommy526 said:
I'm going to say what everyone else has......Amazing photography!!! :goodvibes Just beautiful shots! I really need to invest in a DSLR, I have an Olympus pen and it really takes nice photos but no where near yours! Next big purchase lol!

I'm glad your meal at LeCellier was great! We are so looking forward to our dinner there! Sorry about TD, I've never been there before, but the reviews have been like yours, good apps but so so meals!
Can't wait to hear more :)

Thank you so much! Dslr creates that instant depth of field lacking in a P&S. Totally worth the upgrade if you can swing it! :)
This trip taught me that I should look into opening a chain of restaurants that serves just apps and desserts, lol. I seem to enjoy them the most.

8039122651_46bd9c6948_c.jpg

Lobster Eggs Benedict

I am an eggs Benedict fan and I had to order this when I saw it on the menu. The eggs were perfectly poached. The hollandaise sauce is creamy. The asparagus, lobster hash, and veggies underneath the eggs were heavenly. This is a glorious, meat-less interpretation of the traditional eggs benedict which is served with ham over an English muffin. I absolutely adored it. The asparagus was crisp and I wish they had more. Despite missing the meat, it was still a very filling meal.

Rating:
alicerating5.jpg

8039118553_5812884d35_c.jpg

I also had the cappuccino.

DH had the pancakes and I didn't take a pic. He inhaled them and managed to share a few bites. It was the best buttermilk pancakes I've had- super fluffy and just scrumptious.

Overall, I totally enjoyed my breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It was an excellent experience. I would have been content to eat all of DH's delicious pancakes as well.

Rating:
alicerating5.jpg

So glad to hear you liked GFC for breakfast, that will be one of our "new" places in December. I booked it for 2 reasons: 1) to see the gingerbread house in the lobby and 2) for lobster eggs benedict!

I'm so happy you enjoyed Grand Floridian Cafe! I've only had lunch and dinner there, but the food there has always been above average, and the atmosphere is lovely. :cloud9:

Sorry to hear that your experience at Tokyo Dining was just meh. Your pictures could make anyone want to go there though!! I've never had breakfast at GF and it looks fantastic. Your lobster eggs benedict is like nothing I've ever seen, wow! I'm still trying to decipher what's in there. I'll eat pretty much anything with sauce on it though so I don't even need to know what it's made of! :lmao:

I want to try the GFC so badly (for any meal, really), but I don't think we're going to make it there this trip! Your breakfast review looks excellent! THere are fewer of those on the boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter