A Foodie's Honeymoon - Better Late than Never DR - Hollywood Brown Derby 10/23

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by sushi candy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! I'm glad you ended up making it to Le Cellier, and hopefully the food will continue to deliver. :goodvibes

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MrsB1228

MrsB1228 DIS Veteran

I'm so happy you got to experience Le Cellier and that your trip so far has been great! Sorry to hear about the blisters though, I've learned over the years that even the most comfortable shoes can suddenly turn on you at WDW, LOL. Hope your trip continues to be magical! pixiedust:

4. susieq76

susieq76 DIS Veteran

Wow! Your food pics rock! Can't wait to see the ones from WDW!!!! Hope you have a happy honeymoon!!!!

5. sushi candy

sushi candy Foodie

It was really stressful and almost laughable when I tell you what happened to Le Cellier. The V&A meal is today. I have to make sure the camera is certainly fully-charged. :)

Thanks! I honestly think blisters are jut unavoidable with the amount of walking in theme parks. I did have one amazing sprinkle of pixie dust. Will dish the details when I start the DR when I get back. V&A is today. I am a bit nervous and excited about it.

Thanks so much! So far only two pictures didn't turn out as planned. Pub lighting and dishes that are predominantly red taken in yellow light (pasta) made for interesting and difficult photos. I will have to definitely do some post photo editing when I get back.

6. martinolichfamily

martinolichfamily DIS Veteran

7. sushi candy

sushi candy Foodie

Thank you very much! I am so happy to see you here!

UPDATE:
    I just had my Victoria & Albert dinner experience. I am afraid everything will pale in comparison. It was truly sublime. Miz Paula, you are going to totally enjoy yourself when you eat at the chef's table.

Tomorrow is Barb's favorite California Grill. I will be having a sushi focused meal. I can't wait!

8. DonaldDoleWhip

That's wonderful news! I've never been to V&A, but it's definitely on my list - can't wait to hear your thoughts on the experience. :goodvibes

9. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

So glad you had a great experience at V&A. It truly is amazing!

Jill in CO

10. smile4stamps

smile4stamps DIS Veteran

I am VERY much looking forward to the final dinner of our trip!! 4 weeks from today!!

11. sushi candy

sushi candy Foodie

It was just truly sublime. You need to eat there, DDW!!! XD

It is, Jill. It is such an incredible experience. I find it more to be an food experience than a meal.

Take copious photos, Paula!!!

UPDATE:
    I am flying home today and have started collating all my thoughts and impressions for my reviews. I took 64GB of photos, lol. Not all are food but a good half is. I will start my reviews soon. If anyone is interested, I can also do a post about how I take my pictures including tips on photography, lighting, etc. It has been a glorious week at Disney but I am ready to go home to my sweet two-year old DD and my not so sweet but pretty cat. DH and I decided we will return in seven years to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian for 10 days. We fell in love with this resort on our stay. It will take that long to save up for it but it will be worth it as DD's very first trip to see Mickey. I just hope there is a way to take in a meal at V&As again when we visit for our anniversary.

12. sushi candy

sushi candy Foodie

Background Info

This is a little background info on the stress that happened which changed this review from a lunch to a dinner. We had an ADR for 2:40pm. Our plane landed at 12:30pm at MCO and we were on the bus quickly. However, it was our DME driver's first day and she got us lost. By the time we had our impromptu tour of different resorts, we arrived at Port Orleans by 2:30pm. We took a taxi to the Beach Club and arrived quickly. I asked DH to run through the International Gateway and storm Le Cellier. He got wrong directions and ended up running to the Boardwalk. Oy. I met up with him at the International Gateway entrance and there was only one bag check lady and a long line before her. I carried all our bags and DH went through fine. He got lost again. He received directions that Le Cellier was in France. By the time I made it to Le Cellier, they have already closed the kitchen. The manager was kind enough to waive the cancellation fee and offer us a spot for dinner. We took the offer and got a slot at 4pm. It was super stressful and an excellent test of fire to any relationship.

[​IMG]

Le Cellier Dinner

[​IMG]
    Le Cellier Bread Basket

[​IMG]

Wagyu Beef Carpaccio
    The blend of the textures makes this dish- the harmony of crispiness from
    the frisee and capers to the silkiness of the wagyu beef slices. The saltiness of the capers complements the lemon oil and the essence of the wagyu beef. I absolutely loved it. I totally inhaled this dish.

Rating:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seared Sea Scallops
    The sweet butternut squash underneath the naturally sweet, and plump scallops accompanied a spicy red jam sauce. The mix of the sweet and spicy flavours made for a succulent dish. I really loved the spiciness of the jam and the buttery sweetness of the squash. Both were balanced really well. I definitely enjoyed this appetizer as much as the carpaccio. Yes, I inhaled both appetizers alone. I am not ashamed, lol.

Rating:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grilled Ribeye
    DH had this and he isn't a steak person. He said it "wasn't bad". Get used to that expression, he uses it often, lol.

[​IMG]

Mushroom Filet
    I am a mushroom person. This dish is perfect if you are a mushroom lover. The mushroom flavour in the risotto is quite potent and perfect. The filet was perfectly cooked- marshmallow soft and pink, and just the right portion. I devoured this entree entirely despite having eaten two appetizers already. I couldn't help myself. It was an excellent entree.

Rating:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pistachio Cake with Pistachio Cream Cheese, "L8 Harvest" Melon Tartar, Pickled Watermelon Rind
    I found the cake very dense and nutty. Unfortunately, it was too heavy for me and I only ate half. The cream filling was completely overpowered by the denseness of the cake. The praline on top was very hard. The melon tartar and the pickled watermelon rind however were very tasty and refreshing. These two were very light, simple, and incredibly addictive. I wish the cake was reincarnated as a light mousse instead. I adored two out of the three offerings on the plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chocolate Dessert
    DH loved the mini lava cake and just inhaled it. He didn't care for the other two offerings.

Overall:
    I definitely rate Le Cellier as an Alice. This meal was extremely close to perfection. It was the perfect start of our trip.

[​IMG]

13. DonaldDoleWhip

Yay, your reviews have started! What a crazy experience getting to Le Cellier - I'm so happy you were still able to have a meal there.

Your food at Le Cellier looks incredible, especially the appetizers and desserts (but I'm not a huge steak person). Your pics came out really well, especially considering LC's dim lighting. And finally, fantastic commentary. With your dessert, for example, I like you how thoroughly described the components you liked, and then made a constructive suggestion for reworking the pistachio cake.

This is going to be one incredible dining report! :yay:

14. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

Wow, rough start but glad LC made up for it! The food looks very tasty and your photos are great!

Jill in CO

15. smile4stamps

smile4stamps DIS Veteran

Amazing start!!! Le Cellier... Via Nappoli... Le Cellier... Via Nappoli.... UGH!! It's SOO HARD! lol.

I'm sorry your trip to arrive at the world was so stressful. The meal does sound amazing though! I can't wait to read more!!

16. jabead

jabead DIS Veteran

Yay...you have started your reviews, Rosey! :banana: I've been waiting for this one. popcorn::

Oh, and great start, by the way. I love your Le Cellier pics! :thumbsup2

17. NoOrdinaryPrincess

NoOrdinaryPrincess DIS Veteran

Yay! Your reviews have begun. With as many DR/TRs I've read I don't think I've seen many of those dinner items. The Wygu looks particularly interesting.

18. sushi candy

sushi candy Foodie

Thank you so much, DDW. I tried choosing apps that I know aren't picked as often as well. I don't eat a lot of steak but the mushroom filet Mignon was the right portion. It turned out to be the only steak I ate on my trip. The lighting overall at the restaurants have been really challenging with California grill and sci-fi dine-in being the worst culprits. I was seated basically in the dark at CG because I was right beside the window in the wine cellar section. Sci-fi Dine-in is just too dark. The reason why I had such a hard time is because I don't use flash. It is from personal taste. My life would be so much easier if I just took flash pictures but I don't like how it looks. To me, it makes food look like it is hovering. Instead, poor DH watches me treat my plates as models, shifting them to get the right angles and composition for five minutes at a time. He is no longer embarrassed. It would drive any other man insane, I tell you. XD

For this trip, I made sure I ate all the components together when I can so I can get a good idea of what the chef intended as the "gourmet big picture." This approach served me well during the trip.

Thanks Jill! Le Cellier was incredible and definitely a favorite restaurant of mine now.

Paula, you have such a hard decision. Via Napoli is also excellent. I wish you can have both!!!

Thanks, Barb! I am beginning to get the photos ready for the next review. :)

Thanks! The wagyu app was heavenly. I made an attempt to order the lesser known apps. My personal tastes tend to favor seafood and then veggies if I can.

19. nanienamou

nanienamou Mouseketeer

So happy to see that your reviews have begun! And it's awesome that they fit you in at Le Cellier for dinner! :thumbsup2

20. ksromack

ksromack DIS Veteran

I am subscribing to your thread as I really enjoyed both your photography AND descriptions of the food! I'm ashamed to say that I'm not sure it's the food or the WDW flair that I'm addicted to. While hubby and I have gone for long weekends to his father's cabin in the hills of West Virginia, this is technically our honeymoon as well! We married 11 years ago after both having been divorced before. Up till now all of our vacations have been with 2-5 children in addition to ourselves. I'm so looking forward to our trip as well as your trip report :goodvibes Your photography is amazing and I'm going to attribute some of that to your art background but much to your natural "eye". :worship:

21. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

What a great start to your trip with a 5/5 for Le Cellier!! Your photos are stunning which makes me ask - do you pubish any photos professionally because you have such an amazing talent. I'll definitely need to read up on your photo tips!

Sorry your trek to get to LC was such a stressful event but I hope after that things went smoother!!

I'm looking forward to so many more wonderful reviews!! :goodvibes

Your 7-year plan sound like something amazing to look forward to! ::yes::