• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few restaurant reviews from our May trip

ms.ojo

DIS Veteran
Unfortunately a few of our favorite restaurants weren't up to par this trip! But here's the scoop from our family. Cast of characters include myself, dh, ds (5.5) and dd 2.5!

Food Court at ASMo: Very efficient. Esp. liked the fresh made meatball grinders. Pizza was quick and tasty too. Didn't try the other areas this trip.

Coral Reef: We REALLY enjoyed the luncheon special here. :cool1: A cup of the lobster bisque, the catch of the day (or chicken salad sandwich) and a slice of cheesecake for $20. DH tried the catch of the day and I tried the chicken salad. Both were wonderful! I could only eat half my sandwich it was so stuffed. We ordered buttered noodles for the children and ds proclaimed them as "the best ever"!!! :earseek: We sat right next to the tank having one of the first ps'g times at noon when the place opened. It was a wonderful meal. We were all entertained by the fish and enjoyed searching for our favorties. Food and atmosphere...A+

Hollywood & Vine: This is a nice buffet. :flower: True, the starkness of the restaurant makes it a bit loud...but this also made us feel less obvious if our children became a bit loud at times. LOL There was definitely something for everyone. And since we did it as part of the Fantasmic Dinner Pkg...it made our evening all the more special. Being able to stroll into Fantasmic 30mins prior to the show was super. Who needs extra waiting time w/ a 2yr old! :rotfl: Quick and tasty...B+

Crystal Palace Char luncheon: This is one of our tried and true. We were once again very pleased w/ the food offerings. Our favorite, the salmon, was as good as ever. They were also offering a cream of turkey soup that was scrumptuous! Character interaction was poor this time around. :sad2: We were seated in the room on the right about 2 tables in. All too often chars went by us to hit the outside loop w/out stopping at our table. (They DID stop at the table on the other side of the entrance to this back loop) It really bummed dd out to see them so close, and not have them even wave or take notice of her. They were on their route! :rolleyes1 We were apparently the last table on the inner loop. From there, they went to the other room. Fortunately we don't collect autographs so we didn't have to see them all up close & personal. Good thing. In over an hours time we only had 2 of the 4 visit our table! Food: B+ Char interaction: C-

Cosmic Rays: Had a quick dinner here one evening and it was very good. Everything was hot, tasted freshly prepared..and the kids enjoyed the entertainment. True we were just eating cheeseburgers, hot dogs & fries...but it was good. We left refreshed and ready to do more rides!! Overall: B (just since the food was pretty simple fare)

Char Breakfast @ O'Hanas: BIG disappointment. This was our day of "rest" so we booked a later b'fast 10:30. We arrived at 10:10 and weren't seated until nearly 11!!! The place was a zoo in the waiting area. When we finally were seated I had to laugh at how empty the restaurant really was. Were they just short handed for turning over tables??? :confused3 Char interaction was lower than other places we’ve eaten over the yrs. The food, although tasting ok, went right through all of us! (sorry) We don’t plan to return here.

Red River Brewing Company: We've eaten here before & loved it! Not this trip. The burgers were overcooked and the fries were cold. Beer was tasty though. Overall: C

Cindy's Roundtable. We had a late b'fast seating and used this as our lunch break. Food was VERY good. Especially the fresh croissants and other pastries. They kindly replenished our breads 2 times!! Much to the delight of all of us. Char interaction was excellent. To engage my ds we suggested he ask the princesses about their respective villains. This he did w/ glee and we all enjoyed hearing their explanations! Great food, wonderful atmosphere and great char interaction. A+

Roaring Forks Foodcourt. Fewer options than ASMo but we each found something to satisfy. Everything was cooked to order and tasted great. Had to buy refillable mugs here too. I do wish the mugs were good for any of the hotels on Disney Property for the length of your stay. :rolleyes:

Sci Fi Drive-in: lunch was surprisingly... wonderful!!! Kids were amazed and amused by the atmosphere and the movies. :earseek: So much so that ds barely touched his meal. LOL. The Spinach & artichoke dip was very good and so was the Reuben sandwich. The chicken on the chicken Caesar salad was a bit dry but the rest of the salad was fresh. When I mentioned it to the waiter he immed. offered to get me another and then took off some $ on the bill to make it “right” in his words. We told him it wasn’t nec. but he insisted. Good meal, FUN atmosphere, nice waiter: A

Pecos Bill: Always have to hit this spot at least once a trip. Love the chicken wraps! And it's nice to have the crisp cool carrot sticks as a side! Quick and reliable counter svc: B+

My family loved Coral Reef (lunch) and Hollywood & Vine (dinner).

Your ratings are right on for both of those restaurants. ;)

We ate at Sci-Fi in June and I had the spinach and artichoke dip also. It was the best thing going! :banana:

Greetings from the northwest corner of CT!

Thanks for posting your reviews. It's always encouraging to read about good counter service meals!

Thanks again,
penny
:goodvibes

pennyplanner said:
Greetings from the northwest corner of CT!

Thanks for posting your reviews. It's always encouraging to read about good counter service meals!

Thanks again,
penny
:goodvibes
Glad it was helpful!! We enjoy Pecos Bills & Cosmic Rays every trip! have tried some others at MK, but these are our favorites. We do Pizza Planet at MGM sometimes too. Wouldn't rate the pizza as totally reliable though...some trips it was better than others. :confused3 At AK it's Flametree BBQ hands down!! :cool1: Just didn't have a chance to fit it in this past trip. :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for posting.

Just wanted to say thank you back to all of you! It's so nice of you to post that you enjoyed my reviews! :goodvibes makes me feel like it was worth the time to type them up!! :love:

ITA about the 'Ohanas character breakfast. We had a loooong wait past our PS, decent food (but ended up with the same problem you had!!), so-so character interaction, and horrible service. We'll never go back!

thanks for the resport. I feel the same way you do with Ohana's breakfast. It was so slow getting in, empty and boring feeling. We will never return there again.

I loved Coral Reef for lunch. I had a fab staek and incredible blue cheese bread pudding. MMMMM

Just checked back to see how this thread was doing. First time I ever posted reviews. :teeth: I am so glad it was helpful and really enjoy reading other people's comments on them. :flower:

We're going back in Dec this year (first time as AP holders) and I'm trying to decide if we should do a b'fast over in the Epcot hotel area on a day of rest to see those hotels decorated for Christmas. We're doing that on the monorail loop one day too. We've eaten at the Cape May dinner buffet before and weren't overly impressed. :rolleyes1 The "steamers" were actually little neck clams -- trust me there's a difference. (OK, we're from NewEngland so "northern" seafood in FL isn't really the way to go for us) But I'm just wondering if the b'fast is good...like Chef Mickey's....or more on par w/ our horrible experience at O'Hanas. Probably should post this question under it's own heading but I'll start here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter