A Few Questions About Ohana

Abbey1

DIS Veteran
I have a few questions about Ohana. First, it's my understanding that there are limited tables with a good view of Wishes. What is a good location to watch the fireworks from after dinner? The beach? And if Wishes starts at 10 pm, would an 8:10 reservation give us enough time to enjoy dinner and make it to a viewing location?

Second, we don't eat pork or any red meat. Do we just request that they only bring out the chicken and shrimp when we get seated? There seems to be plenty of options for my husband and I to enjoy.

And last (sorry so many questions), my 4-year old is a fairly picky eater (he has some sensory issues). Are there any standard kids options available? Chicken nuggets, mac and cheese etc?

Thanks!

First off, great choice in going to Ohana! My favorite restaurant at WDW hands down. With that said I have never had a quick experience there. Oddly I have heard others say that they felt rushed out but that has never been the case in probably a dozen times I've been there. If I had all the time in the world then I don't mind but if you have a plan to make it to fireworks or back to the park then you don't want to sit around waiting on the bill. I will let someone else tell you their recommendation for viewing location but what I will recommend is telling your server when you are seated your plan to make it to Wishes and pay the bill early. Either way I'm sure you will have enough time to just get down to the beach. Check in a bit early, 7:45 or so because I have waited a good 20-30 minutes at Ohana even with an ADR.

Regarding the meat, I could be wrong but I think the pork is no longer on the menu and they brought the chicken back. Just tell them what you want and they will bring that. They come around with the skewers of meat so even if they come by with the beef you can just say no thank you or you can ask specifically for chicken and they will bring it asap.

They should be able to get the little on whatever he needs.

We have found OHana always has a decent wait, even with ADRs. It usually takes us at least 15 minutes to get seated. You should be fine with 8:10.

My son has gotten cheeseburgers, fries, Mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets. They will bring them as much as they want also because you are paying the OHana price.

First off, great choice in going to Ohana! My favorite restaurant at WDW hands down. With that said I have never had a quick experience there. Oddly I have heard others say that they felt rushed out but that has never been the case in probably a dozen times I've been there. If I had all the time in the world then I don't mind but if you have a plan to make it to fireworks or back to the park then you don't want to sit around waiting on the bill. I will let someone else tell you their recommendation for viewing location but what I will recommend is telling your server when you are seated your plan to make it to Wishes and pay the bill early. Either way I'm sure you will have enough time to just get down to the beach. Check in a bit early, 7:45 or so because I have waited a good 20-30 minutes at Ohana even with an ADR.

Regarding the meat, I could be wrong but I think the pork is no longer on the menu and they brought the chicken back. Just tell them what you want and they will bring that. They come around with the skewers of meat so even if they come by with the beef you can just say no thank you or you can ask specifically for chicken and they will bring it asap.

They should be able to get the little on whatever he needs.

I'm glad to hear it's your favorite! We are so excited to try it, especially the bread pudding. I'll definitely plan on telling our server our plans for wishes to hopefully expedite getting our bill.

We have found OHana always has a decent wait, even with ADRs. It usually takes us at least 15 minutes to get seated. You should be fine with 8:10.

My son has gotten cheeseburgers, fries, Mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets. They will bring them as much as they want also because you are paying the OHana price.

Thanks! It's a relief to know they have some options my son will definitely eat. Do they automatically bring the kid's options, or do we need to make a request?

Thanks! It's a relief to know they have some options my son will definitely eat. Do they automatically bring the kid's options, or do we need to make a request?

You have to ask for the kid's food. They are great about it. My picky eater is now 13 and once we ask for it they just keep bringing him more until he is full!

'Ohana is one of my family's favorite meals. They are notorious at running behind, so be prepared to wait. There are not many window tables, and it is not possible to see Wishes from most of the restaurant, but if you get that corner window table the view is lovely. WE were seated there twice, both times without asking. Pixie Dust indeed!

With all of that, Wishes from the Poly beach is really nice! It is also a god view of the ELP, but I cannot remember the time for that little water pageant. I would make sure your server knows you plan, and tha you have your check paid in advance so that you can leave when you are ready.

As mentioned, 'Ohana is well known for running behind schedule. Waits of 30 to 45 minutes are not uncommon later in the evening. So it's possible that you might not be seated until closer to 8:45 pm or so. After that, the pacing of 'Ohana is really up to you. They'll start bringing you the dishes almost as soon as you're seated, so you can eat as quickly (or slowly) as you'd like.

The Poly Beach has a nice view, but I'm not sure what the current status is for beach access. For a while it was restricted to Poly guests only, but it seems like they're relaxing that policy of late. You may want to check to see what the latest information is close to the date that you're going to be there.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/wishes-from-polynesian-beach.3438297/

In terms of the food, I've found that the servers just move through the dining room with the skewers of meat. They'll stop by your table and ask if you want what they have (e.g., beef, shrimp, chicken, etc.). You can say "yes" or "no" depending on what it is. You can mention to your server that you don't eat port or red meat, but it's not always your specific server that will come by with the skewers.

If you don't eat pork, you may also want to skip the dumplings. As far as I remember, they have a pork-based filling. I think that is something you can tell your server you don't eat so that s/he won't bring the plate of them to you.

As mentioned, 'Ohana is well known for running behind schedule. Waits of 30 to 45 minutes are not uncommon later in the evening. So it's possible that you might not be seated until closer to 8:45 pm or so. After that, the pacing of 'Ohana is really up to you. They'll start bringing you the dishes almost as soon as you're seated, so you can eat as quickly (or slowly) as you'd like.

The Poly Beach has a nice view, but I'm not sure what the current status is for beach access. For a while it was restricted to Poly guests only, but it seems like they're relaxing that policy of late. You may want to check to see what the latest information is close to the date that you're going to be there.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/wishes-from-polynesian-beach.3438297/

In terms of the food, I've found that the servers just move through the dining room with the skewers of meat. They'll stop by your table and ask if you want what they have (e.g., beef, shrimp, chicken, etc.). You can say "yes" or "no" depending on what it is. You can mention to your server that you don't eat port or red meat, but it's not always your specific server that will come by with the skewers.

If you don't eat pork, you may also want to skip the dumplings. As far as I remember, they have a pork-based filling. I think that is something you can tell your server you don't eat so that s/he won't bring the plate of them to you.

I hope that the policy has relaxed. One of the nicest things about Disney was that anyone could enjoy things as nice as fireworks from the beaches.

I know that if the OP wants to change to 1900 PF, timing the meal will be much easier, and the view from the GF is lovely.

I'm glad to hear it's your favorite! We are so excited to try it, especially the bread pudding. I'll definitely plan on telling our server our plans for wishes to hopefully expedite getting our bill.

Their dessert is my number 1 favorite food in the universe! It is the best thing I have ever eaten. They will bring you as much as you want and the last time my wife told me I needed to slow down and she cut me off. I was soooo full and still could have are more. I guarantee you will enjoy yourself! I really like breakfast there too if you ever have the chance, I really love their breakfast bread.

The dumplings are pork. I have sat in many areas of O'Hana and saw fireworks each time from the table. As far as the beach last time I was there they did not pipe in the music.

It's a great experience and they would definitely accomodate all your special requests for no children friendly food plus no red meat, but like others have said, it can be a wait despite ADR and it is definitely not a fast meal. I honestly THINK 810 will be alright, but I do know that I had been there well over 90min at least twice in the past. There is a small chance it will cut close.

I have an Ohana reservation at 8:15 coming up in a couple weeks....and a wishes FP+ for 10 (well, 9:55)
Do y'all think that's crazy? Can I make it through dinner and back to the hub in MK in that time?
We watched Hallowishes from the beach on our last trip and, while it was nice, I missed the music and coordination that goes with it. So I don't want to do the beach again.It seems like from other suggestions that I should show up at least 15 min early for my adr...right?
Thanks.

The light parade on the water is at 9 and there is accompanying music. Wishes music was not piped in on the beach. We were guests at the hotel but did not see any restrictions on beach access. I believe the large group in lounge chairs next yo me were there from somewhere else. I was really disappointed that he wishes soundtrack was not played...it was a nice fireworks show but missing a lot without that!

The light parade on the water is at 9 and there is accompanying music. Wishes music was not piped in on the beach. We were guests at the hotel but did not see any restrictions on beach access. I believe the large group in lounge chairs next yo me were there from somewhere else. I was really disappointed that he wishes soundtrack was not played...it was a nice fireworks show but missing a lot without that!

We'll be seeing Wishes earlier in the week from the fastpass area in the park. I made the ADR at Ohana for our last night. Do you think that it would be better to make an earlier ADR and then head back to MK for the fireworks? Or watch from the beach since we'd have already seen the show with the soundtrack? I was thinking it would be nice to watch from the beach where it would be less crowded etc, but I don't want to lose the "magic" without the music.

We'll be seeing Wishes earlier in the week from the fastpass area in the park. I made the ADR at Ohana for our last night. Do you think that it would be better to make an earlier ADR and then head back to MK for the fireworks? Or watch from the beach since we'd have already seen the show with the soundtrack? I was thinking it would be nice to watch from the beach where it would be less crowded etc, but I don't want to lose the "magic" without the music.
We had seen it from the dessert party ( next time I will fast pass instead) so watching from the beach was relaxing....I was amazed that the fireworks actually seemed bigger from further away. There is also a movie shown on the beach and they pause it during the fireworks... Only you can decide if you want to hear the soundtrack...and face the crowds again ....

I have a 5 year old who is also extremely picky due to sensory issues. I was going to ask the same question about Ohana re:kids meals. For the people who were able to get kids chicken nuggets, etc. were these recent trips or a long time ago?

Thanks for all the tips. My parents will be taking the kids during our trip, while we get a date night. Their ressie is at 7:30 or so.

Tattylou- we got chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, and Mac and cheese on Tuesday. They are still doing it.

However, if anyone cares, you can no longer get chicken nuggets for picky eaters at the Garden Grill. They told us it is due to allergies.

The last two times we were at Ohana I was pleasantly surprised to NOT have to wait. Interestingly enough I had a ressie for fathers day and my friends and I arrived expecting to get a drink from the bar and just enjoy chatting. We were seated BEFORE our ressie. I know we have had to wait a bit in the past though. We had a 7:30 adr and had plenty of time to make it to the water parade, then did some shopping before heading back to the beach for wishes.

We saw at the table next to us this last time two kids ordered cheeseburgers and fries and then also had an alternative dessert. My kids have been pretty open to eating the food that has been brought to the table BUT I think they would be happier with something other than the breadpudding so it was nice to see that is an option for our December trip:) I also think that it's a pretty easy fix to just let your server know that you would only like the chicken and shrimp.

I can't help with the fireworks questions, but food won't be a problem. They will bring you as much of whatever you want. You can pass on the pork and steak with no problem. And the shrimp and chicken are delicious, as well as the noodles and veggies.
Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter