A Fellow passenger's Disney cruise with Whitney Houston

When I sailed concierge last year on the Wonder, we were talking about celebrities who had sailed on DCL with our concierge host. He had some really nice things to say about some folks. However, he did say that Whitney Houston was so demanding that the Captain threatened to put her off the ship! I haven't read the thread or article in the OP's post. Just saying that CM's still recalled some bad behavior by her many years later-and long before her recent passing.

If she'd been in Palo by herself or just with a couple folks I get it, but she paid to book the entire restaurant for her entourage. Anyone who has the cash has the opportunity to do that. I don't think they shut it down specifically FOR her without her paying for the privilege. Even if she didn't show up.

I don't read from the article that she paid to have Palo shut down every night of the cruise just in case she felt like she wanted to go there, if they let her do that it's a bit ridiculous.

If Bobby was buying drinks for the house it would have been cool to be in the bar with him, though.

Wow this writer earned himself the title of Gawker's worst Whitney Houston memories on the web and he SO deserves it.He's a pompous jerk:eek:As Gawker writes, many writers were smart and informative in their memories of Ms. Houston..others, like this guy made it all about him. Let the woman and her amazing talent RIP. She lived in Mendham,NJ for several years ( a town near me) while her daughter was little and no one said a bad word about her.

http://gawker.com/5884721/the-worst-remembrances-of-whitney-houston-on-the-internet

I so agree with this sentiment. I also question the information he provided - how did he know her kid was in the club from start to finish, unless of course, his kid was also in there the whole time? Why would someone go so far to have privacy and then allow mere mortals to sit next to her on the family beach? Remembering something from 12 years ago is pretty hard.....embellishing it is pretty easy.

RIP Whitney; you are finally free from the demons who took over your life.

I am of the opinion that I don't need to romanticize someones chaotic life and premature death.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Interestingly, in most prior cases of premature celebrity deaths, the focus on the obvious failings of the deceased starts out loud but quickly softens.

But in the case of Houston, I actually see things going the other way. There is a clear, visceral reaction emerging to the attempts to deify and "steam clean" her. She wasn't a martyr. She wasn't a saint. Yes, she was once graced with musical gifts...but what she will be remembered for is throwing them all away for drugs and depravity. :sad2:

Nope, I'm aware. Well, I'm aware of what we have been told and shown by the media. I am also aware that is not necessarily an accurate representation. I am aware, though, of what we as fans have seen publicly.

I completely agree with you about not romanticizing someone else's life or death. I also do not belief in capitalizing on someone else's death mere days after their passing to write my opinion of them based on VERY brief passings during a vacation I took 12 years prior.

- Dreams

100% agree with your first post & this one.

When I sailed concierge last year on the Wonder, we were talking about celebrities who had sailed on DCL with our concierge host. He had some really nice things to say about some folks. However, he did say that Whitney Houston was so demanding that the Captain threatened to put her off the ship! I haven't read the thread or article in the OP's post. Just saying that CM's still recalled some bad behavior by her many years later-and long before her recent passing.

Thank you for sharing this...and it is quite noteworthy that those bashing the article the OP posted have completely ignored the supporting evidence for it provided in your post by a DCL concierge host! I'll take that credible reference and the article over any of the "it can't be correct/how dare he speak ill of her" things being posted here.

And to that crowd, yes, I don't feel sorry for Whitney. :mad:

I feel sorry for her child...her family...and the others she abandoned.

SNN1405AN---532_1453161a.jpg

Ugh. That article nauseates me.

Because of Houston? Nope.

Richard Ouzounian (the author) took a four day cruise TWELVE years ago. And he chooses to write about his observations from a few brief moments on a beach mere days after the subject of his rant dies?

Tacky.
Rude.
Unnecessary.

And then his closing (roll eyes): "And when the news broke on Sunday afternoon that Bobbi Kristina Brown, now 18, had been rushed to the hospital as well, I thought back to that day on the beach and wondered about the scars that a childhood filled with scenes like that might have caused."

Her mother died! Unexpectedly! She's 18!

Whitney Houston lived every minute of her life - even her private life - in the spotlight. Can't Richard Ouzounian let her die in peace? Apparently he cannot.

- Dreams

Thank you. I thought the same thing as I read this. I may not agree with her lifestyle, but a woman lost her daughter, a child lost her mother and to take her death as an opportunity to bash someone for a situation that happened years ago is disgusting.

This article is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. He spent less than 30 minutes watching her reprimand her 6 YO on a beach while on vacation and that leads him to conclude that her daughter is scarred for life and that's why she ended up in a hospital? Uh, how about she had an anxiety attack from being 3000 miles away from home when her mother passed away? Rude.

If that's what qualifies a person to write an article for a newspaper, I've got some pretty brilliant observations:

--I once saw John Lithgow walking his dog near his home. I never once heard him praise his animal for pottying. John Lithgow hates animals.

--I once saw Pamela Anderson shopping at a mall with bodyguards. The bodyguards made everyone stay 20 feet away from her even though she was walking in a public space. Pamel Anderson has bad BO.

--I once saw Jay Leno in a food court at 10pm. When we walked past my group of friends, he did not smile or say hi. Jay Leno hates women.

--My husband saw Jude Law in the Labor & Delivery ward when he volunteered there the night Jude Law's SO was having a baby. DH said that Jude Law was broken out in zits. Jude Law does not wash his face.

--I saw Brooke Burke in an airport once, sitting by herself. Brooke Burke has no friends.

I mean, seriously.

This article is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. He spent less than 30 minutes watching her reprimand her 6 YO on a beach while on vacation and that leads him to conclude that her daughter is scarred for life and that's why she ended up in a hospital? Uh, how about she had an anxiety attack from being 3000 miles away from home when her mother passed away? Rude.

If that's what qualifies a person to write an article for a newspaper, I've got some pretty brilliant observations:

--I once saw John Lithgow walking his dog near his home. I never once heard him praise his animal for pottying. John Lithgow hates animals.

--I once saw Pamela Anderson shopping at a mall with bodyguards. The bodyguards made everyone stay 20 feet away from her even though she was walking in a public space. Pamel Anderson has bad BO.

--I once saw Jay Leno in a food court at 10pm. When we walked past my group of friends, he did not smile or say hi. Jay Leno hates women.

--My husband saw Jude Law in the Labor & Delivery ward when he volunteered there the night Jude Law's SO was having a baby. DH said that Jude Law was broken out in zits. Jude Law does not wash his face.

--I saw Brooke Burke in an airport once, sitting by herself. Brooke Burke has no friends.

I mean, seriously.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I couldn't agree with you more:goodvibes Some people get off on being the judgment police though. It's a shame, especially when the person they're judging can't defend themselves.

I remember watching a few episodes of their ill fated reality show, which left enough of an impression on me that I tend to beleive the writers impression of both Bobby and Whitney as accurate.

I hardly doubt that someone recollecting a brief accounted with her 12 years ago will have her rolling over in her grave- given the speculations that surround her death.

Maybe you are the only one who is completely unaware of her and Bobby's long history of drug use and other turbulent behavior, but my guess is that is what the writer is referring to when suggesting Bobbi had a scarred childhood.

While you might be of the persuasion about letting someone rest in peace, I am of the opinion that I don't need to romanticize someones chaotic life and premature death.
Thanks for those comments, agree whole heartedly! I found the link was very informative, regardless of the naysayers.

I can only think it was an unselfish vacation for her daughter. Maybe she wanted a Disney cruise?
Her and Bobby's behavior once aboard is subject to perception.

On the other hand, James Belushi was a gentleman and really nice, and didn't even complain when I hit him in the mouth with a green bullet microphone accidentally! Whooop's! lol!

Ex Techie :)

LOL on the microphone incident. I bet you wanted to crawl under a rock.

Ugh. That article nauseates me.

Because of Houston? Nope.

Richard Ouzounian (the author) took a four day cruise TWELVE years ago. And he chooses to write about his observations from a few brief moments on a beach mere days after the subject of his rant dies?

Tacky.
Rude.
Unnecessary.

Maybe everything happened as he says. I doubt it, but okay, let's say it did.

His part about Castaway Cay is just ridiculous: "And as the 30 minutes dragged on, her voice got louder and louder, an instrument I had only heard before making melodious music now being used to chastise young Bobbi. We left before it got much worse, but it cast an unpleasant shadow on the day and, to tell the truth, on the whole trip."

Oh no! You mean you saw a parent on a Disney vacation who was disciplining their child? I have never seen that! Ever. Goodness, I've seen it more times than I can even begin to count. On a DCL ship, at DLR, at WDW, in DtD shops, everywhere. Like millions of others, she's a mother.

And then his closing (roll eyes): "And when the news broke on Sunday afternoon that Bobbi Kristina Brown, now 18, had been rushed to the hospital as well, I thought back to that day on the beach and wondered about the scars that a childhood filled with scenes like that might have caused."

Her mother died! Unexpectedly! She's 18!

You are seriously connecting her mother disciplining her on the beach 12 years ago to how she reacted to the sudden, highly-publicized death of her mother? Heck, I've got "scars" from childhood. I had "scenes like that" in my childhood. Luckily, I have never had someone who saw tiny glimpses of random minutes of a family vacation over a decade ago write about me or my family within days of a devastating loss.

Whitney Houston lived every minute of her life - even her private life - in the spotlight. Can't Richard Ouzounian let her die in peace? Apparently he cannot.

- Dreams

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter