• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Dwarf For Every Emotion: A 2017 Dopey (Grumpy?!) Challenge Trip Report! COMPLETE

Congrats on finishing the marathon! And that dinner looks amazing - I really need to get to Yachtsmen one of these days!

Happy tears at the end of a marathon are the best! I remember seeing the red phone booths in Epcot and my brother and SIL standing by one cheering me on in 2013 and I shed a few tears. I didn't have the long journey like with your back, but from puking on a plane on Thursday to running a marathon on Sunday - I really didn't know if I had it in me. But I did. And it is the #1 moment where I was most proud of myself (excluding having the kids - they always win :P).

I love reading your reports, so I can't wait for the Princess one!

Congrats on being Dopey again! And you should be incredibly proud of yourself! I feel you on the being emotional part. I choked back the big ugly cry as I saw the finish line but that poor high school kid who put the medal around my neck got to see it!

I got a very nice wind burn as well. Had no clue until I face timed my kids and could see my face.

Confession time...we were at the Yatchsman and I thought I reconized you but decided not to walk up and say hi because you were eating and I felt awkward. Maybe I will get the courage to say hi next time!

Celebratory Cronut! I’d been thinking about this since the end of the race...it was good but not as amazing as I remembered.

I would just like to state for the record that your Dopey medal is pretty much the size of your cronut. Just saying.

32229162065_a62090bf66_z.jpg

I suppose Soarin' is an okay choice for your sole ride of the trip...

There were people in front of me wearing their marathon medals and talking about how it “wasn’t right” to take the other challenge medals...uh, sorry people! :confused3

People ... :sad2:

Goofy was HILARIOUS! He was so excited to see himself on a medal! He went through each individual medal and waved his hand in a “so-so” gesture, until he got to the Mickey one. Mickey is the boss, so we all need to bow down!

Goofy always entertains me. He's so funny (and goofy ... see what I did there???). I love that he was so excited about his medal.
Also ... side note ... it took me a few seconds to figure out whether you were wearing real jeans or InB pants. The pocket on the front is what helped me finally figure it out. They really do look like real jeans!

I sat there thinking, “this is a lot of food for one person.” And I ate almost all of it. It was amazing. Per the Fitbit app on my phone I had covered 34.43 miles and 68,108 steps that day (dang that’s almost the Goofy Challenge right there!), so I guess that would explain that!!

That much running/walking definitely earns you a big meal!

I can't imagine going to Disney and only going on one ride but definitely understandable with all of the running that week.

Great pictures with Goofy! Donald had the same kind of interaction with me however he was quite sad when I told him that his race was cancelled. Then I thought shouldn't he already know that?

That is the exact meal I think I want to have after Dopey 2018!! Looks/Sounds amazing!!!
I can't believe you only rode 1 ride the whole weekend, that is so foreign to me, I just don't think I could be there and not ride, regardless of how tired I felt. Of course, I haven't done Dopey, yet, so I may eat those words!
It WAS amazing! I highly recommend it!

Yep, just 1 ride. Not normal for me...I was just so exhausted from my lack of sleep before the trip that I never got caught up!
I'm a little behind.... but CONGRATULATIONS!!! Minnie is my fav (obviously...), so I love your pictures with her!
Minnie is my fave too, you have excellent taste! :)
Drool! Yum!
So delicious!
Excellent post-race celebrations!! The same thing happened with us and our FP for FEA, so we switched for Soarin as well. That was a good trade as far as I was concerned!!

I love all your pictures with the characters, but especially Goofy! Fantastic!! That dinner shot is making me hungry.
Good switch! Soarin' > Frozen in my opinion (I like the Frozen ride and think it's well-done, but I like Soarin' better!)
Congrats on finishing the marathon! And that dinner looks amazing - I really need to get to Yachtsmen one of these days!

Happy tears at the end of a marathon are the best! I remember seeing the red phone booths in Epcot and my brother and SIL standing by one cheering me on in 2013 and I shed a few tears. I didn't have the long journey like with your back, but from puking on a plane on Thursday to running a marathon on Sunday - I really didn't know if I had it in me. But I did. And it is the #1 moment where I was most proud of myself (excluding having the kids - they always win :P).

I love reading your reports, so I can't wait for the Princess one!
Thanks!! OMG I remember reading about that with your marathon, so awful. I would have cried too!
Congrats on being Dopey again! And you should be incredibly proud of yourself! I feel you on the being emotional part. I choked back the big ugly cry as I saw the finish line but that poor high school kid who put the medal around my neck got to see it!

I got a very nice wind burn as well. Had no clue until I face timed my kids and could see my face.

Confession time...we were at the Yatchsman and I thought I reconized you but decided not to walk up and say hi because you were eating and I felt awkward. Maybe I will get the courage to say hi next time!
Thanks! I can't remember who put the medal around my neck, may have also been a high school kid! :rotfl2:

Aw man, if you see me again definitely say hi! :)
I would just like to state for the record that your Dopey medal is pretty much the size of your cronut. Just saying.
The Dopey medal is prety gigantic!
I suppose Soarin' is an okay choice for your sole ride of the trip...

People ... :sad2:
Yeah I just pretended like I didn't hear them...:rolleyes1 It worked out well for me.
Goofy always entertains me. He's so funny (and goofy ... see what I did there???). I love that he was so excited about his medal.
Also ... side note ... it took me a few seconds to figure out whether you were wearing real jeans or InB pants. The pocket on the front is what helped me finally figure it out. They really do look like real jeans!
I do see what you did there! He was so hilarious. And yep, those are the InB "jeans!" Haven't gone back to regular denim yet since I got these. :)
That much running/walking definitely earns you a big meal!
I thought so, too!
I can't imagine going to Disney and only going on one ride but definitely understandable with all of the running that week.

Great pictures with Goofy! Donald had the same kind of interaction with me however he was quite sad when I told him that his race was cancelled. Then I thought shouldn't he already know that?
Ha, poor Donald! I guess he's just not up on current events! It does seem like he should know when his own race gets canceled though!

I love it!! I love how retro it is, and I've wanted a Mickey head-shaped medal for years. I think it's my second-favorite after the 25th anniversary medal. :) EDIT: 20th anniversary!

is it wrong that I actually upgraded to Goofy JUST TO GET THAT MEDAL??? My wife and I were only signed up for the Half, but once we saw that Mickey medal, we immediately bumped up to Goofy. (And how glad are we that we did so????)

I know I just read about you completing a marathon but all my brain can remember to type is CRONUT and MASHED POTATO!

I think I may be tired and hungry.

Congrats though on a well earned AMAZINGLY AWESOME MICKEY MEDAL!!! AHHHH I WANT IT.

Ahem....

And in conclusion

CRONUT

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheer2::banana:
party:

I haven't been online much since the last time I posted here (like 12 pages ago o_O) and I even took notes as I was catching up this afternoon, but it's probably kind of dumb to bring up things that were hashed out 8+ pages ago and I'm really just here to say I'm so happy for you! I followed along in your 2016 training journal and I know what a rough time you had, so as I was reading the end of your marathon recap I felt like I was experiencing it with you. Shut up, I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying! Amazing and what a story to tell in the end!

I was "only" signed up for the half this year (on a whim, with Rebel Challenge in CA right on its heels), and I have lots of thoughts on the cancellation, but ultimately rD did the right thing, they did their best to compensate disappointment, and everyone handled it their own way wrt medals, etc. And I don't know why there are people who are looking to diminish the accomplishment of the challenges.

But yay on an awesome race weekend and finishing strong, and thanks for always doing such a great write-up on your trips!

is it wrong that I actually upgraded to Goofy JUST TO GET THAT MEDAL??? My wife and I were only signed up for the Half, but once we saw that Mickey medal, we immediately bumped up to Goofy. (And how glad are we that we did so????)
I'm gonna say no because the Mickey medal is pretty much ALWAYS the best one!
I know I just read about you completing a marathon but all my brain can remember to type is CRONUT and MASHED POTATO!

I think I may be tired and hungry.
Or you just know what your priorities are...can't say that I disagree.
Congrats though on a well earned AMAZINGLY AWESOME MICKEY MEDAL!!! AHHHH I WANT IT.

Ahem....
Oh I'm sure you'll have one of your own some day! ;)
And in conclusion

CRONUT
I think I need to give the cronut another shot...this one wasn't as amazing as I'd remembered. :scratchin Yep, better try another. You know, for research.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheer2::banana:
party:
THANKS! :yay:
I haven't been online much since the last time I posted here (like 12 pages ago o_O) and I even took notes as I was catching up this afternoon, but it's probably kind of dumb to bring up things that were hashed out 8+ pages ago and I'm really just here to say I'm so happy for you! I followed along in your 2016 training journal and I know what a rough time you had, so as I was reading the end of your marathon recap I felt like I was experiencing it with you. Shut up, I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying! Amazing and what a story to tell in the end!
There's just something in my eye, okay! That's all it is! :sad:

Thanks for continuing to follow along! :hug:
I was "only" signed up for the half this year (on a whim, with Rebel Challenge in CA right on its heels), and I have lots of thoughts on the cancellation, but ultimately rD did the right thing, they did their best to compensate disappointment, and everyone handled it their own way wrt medals, etc. And I don't know why there are people who are looking to diminish the accomplishment of the challenges.
I think even when Native Floridians are chiming in to say that the lightning is no joke there...that's proof that it was the right call. I'm sorry you didn't get to run, though!
But yay on an awesome race weekend and finishing strong, and thanks for always doing such a great write-up on your trips!
Thanks for reading! :yay:
Haha, Well I also love the Minnie Mouse 10k medal even more....sooooo....how about a few less miles! :) (I don't this is going to work)
Be careful, that Minnie medal is what got me to sign up for Dopey the first time...:eek:

But seriously, Dopey will still be there when you're ready for it. Don't give into peer pressure if it's not right for you yet!

Day 6: Monday, January 9, 2017 - See Ya Real Soon :sad1:
Oh man - I slept like a baby Sunday night! For 12 glorious hours! It was amazing!! :cloud9:

I was up around 8:30 and had a delicious breakfast of my desserts from Sanaa and Yachtsman. :teeth: Gotta replenish those calories from the previous day, right?? ;)

I finished packing and headed out to the parking lot with Big Purple and Little Red...bye-bye, Boardwalk! You were perfect. :(

I headed to the TTC and then to the Magic Kingdom - I loved that I didn’t have to go back to the resort to wait for DME. With the car, I could just take off for the airport from wherever!

Time for some medal photoshoots!

I can’t pick a favorite from these next 3, so here they all are!
32190909306_e977828956_z.jpg

31388262104_df5a0ab6cd_z.jpg

31853559640_2428877190_z.jpg

Gotta give it to the CM, this photobomb was pretty hilarious!
32190908596_4d8ec3959e_z.jpg

I'd made a FP+ for Talking Mickey and was excited about that - when I did Dopey in 2015, I met Talking Mickey and he said something to me like, "way to go! I'm proud of you!" This time it was so boring and generic, and the photos were TERRIBLE. I guess even the Big Cheese has an off-day every once in awhile!

Since that didn't work out, I thought maybe I’d get some pictures with my new love, Pluto, but the timing didn’t work out, so I hopped into Stitch’s line. He was awesome!

32090854492_0e5308332f_z.jpg

Om nom nom!
31863856420_4955c32cee_z.jpg

Gah, he’s so cute!
31429496523_0d643c0850_z.jpg

32090855602_e31fb8ccc2_z.jpg

Cute!! This made me think a Stitch meet & greet with bling is a must-do for future runDisney race trips! He was so fun!

31398478854_5ea3a10490_z.jpg

Now it was time to move on. I hopped on the ferry.

32110527851_c98e013c45_z.jpg

I got in the car and headed to Disney Springs. I went to D-Tech and put in an order for a marathon phone case!
32500552795_bef32d41aa_z.jpg

They told me it would be ready in 15 minutes, so I headed to Wolfgang Puck Express for one last Disney lunch.

32080355162_2dcfe1682e_z.jpg

Yum! I picked up my phone case, hopped in the car and headed to MCO. The drive and returning the car were both really easy, and it turned out Big Purple had lost weight during the trip!

31853561740_2df3113302_z.jpg

Little Red had all of my laundry, so I’m guessing that is why! I had legitimately been worried that Big Purple would be over the weight limit...what a relief!

My flights home were a little bumpy but I did get exit row seats both times...yeah!!! :banana:

And that’s it. Marathon Weekend #4 is done! :mickeyjum

Like I said, this was a challenging and weird weekend for me. I have never slept so much during a Disney trip, and I can’t believe how little park time I got (1 ride!!). I will say, I did enjoy the solo aspect of the trip way more than I expected - but I think that's because it was a race weekend. I didn't feel like I was a drag on anyone else with my weird schedule, which was good - but I did miss having Mr. Ariel484 there with me!

Mostly I am so glad that I finished that freaking marathon. I am so happy, relieved and proud of myself - and really pleased that there’s no marathon at the end of Princess Weekend! :worship:
Thanks for reading, and I’ll see ya real soon! :wave:
32110524401_64df51c09c_z.jpg

Another great TR!

That really sucks that talking Mickey wasn't any good. I have yet to meet talking Mickey. Stitch looks awesome though! It's been a long time since I've met him.

Nice phone case, I got the dopey one which now of course has special meaning.

Congrats again!

Fantastic report! It sounds like despite all the road bumps (and blocks) that 2016 culminated well, and that it was a good weekend. Obviously you needed the sleepy time too!!
Your medal shots are fantastic!!

Loved reading your TR! Congrats again on the awesome weekend of running!!

My hubby (who I'll now call run.mickey.miles haha) might have to leave a day early for PHM weekend which I was originally very concerned about, but after reading your trip report, I think I'd be ok!

Congratulations again and seriously so proud of your achievement after such a difficult year. I love all your medal pictures. You come up with the best photographs to celebrate them. I wish Mickey would have been a better experience. Love the TR as always.

Registration for 2018 is open and calling your name. :)

And, this too. :D

Congrats and awesome job! I haven't done Disney solo yet, but I think it could be nice and relaxing during a race weekend - do whatever you want, whenever you want, and you don't have to worry about messing up someone else's schedule.

And whhhhhhattttttt FFigawi? I thought registration didn't open until 2/14?

Congrats and awesome job! I haven't done Disney solo yet, but I think it could be nice and relaxing during a race weekend - do whatever you want, whenever you want, and you don't have to worry about messing up someone else's schedule.

And whhhhhhattttttt FFigawi? I thought registration didn't open until 2/14?

Not FFigawi, but there was a mass email that went out to all past participants with a link for early registration. It didn't really specify which race, so lots of people have used it even if they didn't run Marathon Weekend this year.

Here's the link

https://www.rundisney.com/past-participants/?sourcecode=20693&CMP=LEC-ESPNWWOSFY17Q1rdprfrlnk0003

Another great TR!

That really sucks that talking Mickey wasn't any good. I have yet to meet talking Mickey. Stitch looks awesome though! It's been a long time since I've met him.

Nice phone case, I got the dopey one which now of course has special meaning.

Congrats again!
Thanks! Yeah I definitely had an off day with Mickey. I'll have to try again!
Loved reading your TR! Congrats again on the awesome weekend of running!!

My hubby (who I'll now call run.mickey.miles haha) might have to leave a day early for PHM weekend which I was originally very concerned about, but after reading your trip report, I think I'd be ok!
Thank you!! I think the other thing I liked about being by myself was that I could take the time to get medal pictures that I wanted and things like that - non-ride things that maybe someone else wouldn't have wanted to wait for. Maybe that's the silver lining to run.mickey.miles leaving a day early? :)
Congratulations again and seriously so proud of your achievement after such a difficult year. I love all your medal pictures. You come up with the best photographs to celebrate them. I wish Mickey would have been a better experience. Love the TR as always.
Thank you! Right back at ya!

The Mickey meet was just meh. And I totally knew it the entire time - in pretty much every picture my face is like: o_O
Thanks! This was my first real solo trip. I definitely like my alone time, which I think is why it worked out well for me. It was about as relaxing as a race weekend could get in that regard. :0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter