a couple of questions

longboard55

DIS Veteran
we are looking at Grand California purchase in the next few months. I have checked it out and we are fine with the resale rules so that is not an issue So when you offer, do we try a few dollars less, or how much

And when they say points available in 2017, I know you can borrow ahead, would that be assumed that is 2017 points or you can borrow ahead in 2017. I know I should probably ask the brokers these questions but I do not want to get emailed to death.

One last one, so we know Grand California is a lot more expensive, so if I want to go to the Beach Club every couple years is there a way to get a better deal trading points

If there are not any 2016 points, you should adjust the price you pay down by at least $10 per point as compared to a full contract.

I think you can probably aim for around $135-140 a point.

Everything is negotiable. Ignore the asking price and determine what the contract is worth to you. If they're asking price is higher, make an offer. If their asking price is lower, snap it up quickly.

If it says it comes with 2017 points, those should be points in the 2017 use year. Make sure you understand use year.

There's no way to get a "better deal" within the system. You might be blue to rent your points out at a premium, and then rent cheaper points from someone else. But that won't likely yield much savings, especially after you pay taxes on the income.

And when they say points available in 2017, I know you can borrow ahead, would that be assumed that is 2017 points or you can borrow ahead in 2017. I know I should probably ask the brokers these questions but I do not want to get emailed to death.

please read and bookmark this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

use year is the 12 month period - your new DVC calendar year - for when you can use points for a stay.

for example, i have an oct UY, so my oct 2017 UY pts are for stays from oct 1, 2017 to sept 30, 2018. i have the option to bank or borrow those pts to move them up or back one UY (but once i move them, they will be stuck in that new UY and can never move again.)

so the earliest i could use the oct 2017 pts for a stay is to borrow them into my 2016 UY for a stay starting oct 1, 2016.

UY has nothing at all to do with when i can call to book - that is all determined by my home resort - so i could call as early as nov 1, 2015 to book my home resort for that oct 1, 2016 stay.

ideally, you would prefer to travel early in your use year (i like nov/dec trips with my oct UY) and never in the last 3 months or so (so july/aug/sept for an oct UY) - this will reduce the risk of losing pts due to cancellations (make sure you understand the banking windows)...

we are looking at Grand California purchase in the next few months. I have checked it out and we are fine with the resale rules so that is not an issue So when you offer, do we try a few dollars less, or how much

One last one, so we know Grand California is a lot more expensive, so if I want to go to the Beach Club every couple years is there a way to get a better deal trading points
I'd agree in general with the above information. I would adjust for $10-12 a point for any point not available in the current or future UY even if midway through the UY. Don't forget though the $10-12 a point includes any maint fees you might have paid if receiving those points. Just go through the ROFR thread and decide what you think is a good target price. For VGC you're not likely to have a lot of options so you might want to be less aggressive on negotiations in favor of not losing a favorable contract.

I agree that you need to not worry about just adjusting off the asking price as none of us know if it already had some adjustment or not. I'd look at the ROFR thread and see what negotiated prices look like and the points received. Then figure out a price you're comfortable with and make that offer.

And VGC points really aren't worth more than BCV when it comes to using them as BCV is very popular. Brokers give premiums for BCV, BWV, VWL, VGC, VGF, PVB and BLT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter