a colorful refillable mug question...

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by mickeyluv'r, Jan 28, 2009.

1. mickeyluv'r

mickeyluv'r DIS Veteran

Does anyone else find it odd that WDW guests are willing to repeatedly reuse a mug that hasn't been sanitized? :crazy2: I mean guests would never knowingly allow a CM to serve them from a cup that wasn't sanitized, yet they will self-serve from the same mugs for an entire week. Surely many families end up switching them around among family members. Surely many folks refill a mug that has a sugary residue and was in 90 degree heat all day. It makes me wonder if anyone ever gets sick from using one.:crazy2: :coffee:

Does anyone do anything special to sanitize their mugs?

When I use one, I'll use some of the in-room shampoo (like dish soap?) to wash them in hot water each day. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

Or am I just being paranoid?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

It is only DH and I and we keep ours separate. I rinse them after every use, I soak them in hot water every night in the sink and then rinse them really well in the morning.

4. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

I brought a Sharpie last trip and marked everyone's mug with their initial. I also had my brother who lives in Florida bring me a bottle of dish soap which we used to thoroughly clean the mugs.

If I didn't have bro, I'd have sealed a small bottle of dish soap in a Ziploc and packed it in my suitcase.

5. lacrosse_lady72

lacrosse_lady72 I

I always bring a one of those pump Soft Soap anti-bacterial soap things that you can get at Target for like a dollar, then just throw it away before we leave.

I like to give it a good cleaning before I go to bed so it's ok for the morning.

Before I fill it up though I use the mug wash they have. Hot water is better than nothing.

6. lecach

lecach <font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl

In the past we took the Palmolive towelettes that were soapy when you wet them. They don't make those anymore so this year I took a few sponges, cut them into small squares, wet them and soaped them up, let them dry, and then packed in a ziplock. When I wet them at our hotel they will be soapy sponges that I can use and then throw away.

Our very first trip we just rinsed them in hot water but I just thought it was a little gross.

7. disneygal2007

disneygal2007 He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

I always take a small bottle of dish soap.

8. Totally Tink

Totally Tink Mouseketeer

Ditto

9. RMulieri

RMulieri DIS Veteran

when I bought them I used to wash mine after using it.I always carry a small sharpie attached to my backpack for labeling purposes.

10. PictureJumpr

PictureJumpr At Least 'til it Rains

I have an aversion to travelling with liquids I don't need (too many past luggage-leak issues) and so I grab one or two of these before each trip.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

The bonus is, it's very light and very small and can make it easy to wash hands/faces with bottled water while at a park - i.e., when the kids have been eating ice cream while waiting for the fireworks and we don't want to go wash up in the bathroom with just four minutes to showtime...

In the room it is useful for washing mugs and coffee pots, among other things.

11. Kae

Kae DIS Veteran

I rinse them out thats it.

Kae

12. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

DVC so I stick them in the dishwasher every night--I stockpiled the palmolive presoaped towelettes--figured they'd go the way of the tide tabs so I take those if we are staying at any other resort.

13. noahdove

noahdove DIS Veteran

I bring dish soap and wash them first before we use them, and then if I want something else in it after I get my coffee, I use the VERY hot water near the coffee/tea area in the food court. At night I wash them again with dish soap and dry them on a wash cloth....no germs for me:)

14. tndisneyfan

tndisneyfan DIS Veteran

I usually run hot water over mine. I'm not sure that helps much but it makes me feel better.

15. disneyorvegas

disneyorvegas Mouseketeer

I LIKE this idea!!!! You might want to post this on the budget board too!

16. lecach

lecach <font color=darkorchid>Will not get out of bed unl

Where do you think I got the idea? ;) Everything I know I learned on the DIS :cheer2:

17. POOHDRMR

POOHDRMR DIS Veteran

I bring a travel size shampoo bottle with dish soap and a sponge in a ziploc bag and wash them.I used to do this for sippy cups when my dd was smaller too.

18. PattnFmly

PattnFmly <font color=darkorchid>DH drove me crazy last nigh

Ditto: the sharpie's to mark everyone's mug with initials; small container of dish soap and a sponge that gets thrown away before we leave. After breakfast each morning, when we take that **last trip** back to the room before going to the park I take a quick moment to wash everyone's mug and set them upside down on a towel on the table. Mousekeeping leaves them be and they are clean and ready for our use when we return that night. Minimal germs! :goodvibes

19. vs1023

vs1023 Disney in 2009

I cleaned ours out every night but since i only drink water, it didn't effect me much. DH does soda and fruit punch so he had more cleaning to do :lol:

20. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 DIS Veteran

I go solo so only I drink from the mug and if there are bugs in it they are already in me so why worry.

21. PrincessTrisha

PrincessTrisha DIS Veteran

My mom and I regularly end up switching mugs throughout our stay (my dad not so much since he drinks coffee and the lingering smell of cream makes me gag).

We just rinse them out or wipe them with a face cloth and we're good to go.

Never got sick from a mug - I just don't understand all the fuss?