A Celebration Trip Full of Surprises - May 2015 PTR (New 9/15 - New TR Link!)

Wow - I was really behind. How the heck did that happen???

So - I loved your HS update. You can never ride ToT too many times? What a great, full day!

OMG - those onion rings look like they are to die!

I have to agree that Kouzzina had some amazing breakfasts and I am a big fan of feta cheese and have had those eggs - yum!

Yay for single digit dancing!!!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

We ended our evening with Anika building her lightsaber:

1105_zpsywf7pneg.jpg

Anika may be a SMIDGE excited about attending Star Wars Weekends this year... :hyper:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

My vote's for morning reveal.

That's where I'm leaning at this point...

I hear there's a theme park nearby.

:rotfl:

I keep hearing so many good things about it. I must get there next time.

Yes, you must! It's all you've heard and more! :thumbsup2

It is! It is!

:goodvibes

I kind of like that though. I mean, the planning is done... You know you're hitting the Harry Potter stuff first thing in the morning. Then it's just a matter of deciding between clockwise or counter-clockwise and waving that Express Pass around.

That's true. It's just bizarre to have such loose plans.

Now I guess if you want to be OCD planner, you could put together an elaborate plan to jump from say, Men in Black to Spiderman in an elaborate park hopping scheme.

:rotfl:

Yuck. Yeah, being this close to the trip and not having that information is frustrating.

From what I've read, they only seem to post it in the hotel lobbies a few days before... at least we're staying several days so we can make sure to be at each park early. :thumbsup2

I hadn't noticed. :rolleyes1

:D

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'd have to go to the Simpsons area for a Krusty Burger and a Duff.

I'm really excited about the Simpson's food court - I don't believe it was there (at least I don't remember it!) during our last time at Universal.

Weird... and kind of nice to, in a way. I like the planning, but I also like to just decide I'm hungry for ____ , and decide where to go then and there. That option is pretty limited at WDW.

I agree, it is kind-of nice.

I think you've got a good plan. I always like to eat at Margaritaville there... although it is pretty much a chain place and nothing special. I just like their burgers and the vibe of the place.

I've heard several good things about Margaritaville. I'm pretty open to eating wherever Anika would like to go. :goodvibes

Also, it isn't very Anika friendly, but if you find yourself walking around City Walk, stop by the window at Pat O'Brien's and get a hurricane to go. They're very good. And very strong.

Thanks for the tip! I may just do that! :-)

:scared1: Wow! That's crazy!

I don't know what on earth happened, but when she stood up blood was dripping! Thankfully it stopped pretty quickly.

I swear, those donuts (along with the Disney popcorn) must be laced with crack. They are just fantastic!

Always a good one!

::yes::

That stinks. I totally get it, but it is never fun to hit that wall.

We've never hit a wall quite that hard at Disney. I think it was a good thing we headed back to the resort as we felt much better in the morning.

Cool! I've never seen that before. At least I don't think I have... :confused3

I always love exploring the resort lobbies. I feel like there are always fun surprises they throw in to match the resort's theme.

I'm sorry. I've never been there, but I've heard great things about the breakfast there. Maybe they just didn't do the other meals as well? :confused3

That must be it, because their breakfast was AWESOME. :woohoo:

I don't think I have either! That's the cool thing about that whole area. So many fun sight gags basically hidden in plain view.

I'm glad I finally noticed that! :thumbsup2

Wow! What kind of candle was that???

It was actually about eight candles put together and all lit on fire. It was pretty cool! :cool1:

:rotfl2: Ok, I've seen it. I remember my parents watched it when I was growing up. But it has been years since I've seen it. I don't even hardly remember what exactly the show was.

I think it's viewership was mostly made up of an older demographic, but I just LOVED that show. :thumbsup2

I know you always approve of a ride on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster! :thumbsup2

FP or not, you guys really did an awesome job of getting plenty of rides on the headliners. I'm impressed. I would be thrilled with getting multiple rides on ToT, Star Tours and TSMM in the same day.

We did so well! Looking back, I can't believe how well we did!

You're right. It sadly isn't. This is one of my biggest knocks on it. Although, unless you really went hardcore and did a lot of FP running before, it is an insignificant change to most.

That's true - but for those of us that knew how to work the system, it's definitely a different ballgame. :sad2:

Morning of!

That appears to be the consensus... :upsidedow

Ok. I'm excited about the surprises. And I'd love to see video of her reaction. But I LOVE the idea of just rolling up to the hotel and just seeing when she puts it all together. I think it would be worth the sacrifice of not being able to get it on video to do the more impactful reveal on this one.

That's really where I'm leaning at this point... I think she'd just be blown away. :scared1:

You've got great taste. :thumbsup2

Thank you!

Individual pizzas? You mean mezzo metro, right? :rolleyes1

I'm afraid we don't quite have your appetite, Andy! :laughing: Two individual pizzas seems to be about right for us.

:jumping1: :thumbsup2 Awesome! It's coming up fast now!

Just six more days now!!! :dance3:

I'm SO excited to hear about how this part of the "reveal" goes!! She is gonna be so thrilled to be staying at GF...I know I would be!! BTW I loved Murder She Wrote too...there's never been another show quite like it! I was a little surprised by your pic of the strawberries and cream at the GF tea...weird that they didn't do the flat whipped cream with the GF logo on it? I know you got more whipped cream...but it sorta looks like they got lazy?? Who knows..I'm sure it tasted great all the same lol.

I can't wait to see her reaction to staying at the Grand Floridian - I think it's the reaction I'm most looking forward to! :goodvibes

I'm always thrilled to find another Murder, She Wrote fan! :yay:

I thought it was a little strange. :confused3 I did appreciate the extra whipped cream, but I was rather looking forward to the logo!

I always called it "Murder, she croaked"...I thought it was more appropriate, in a Tom_Swifty kind of way. And I could never figure out why Jessica Fletcher ever got invited anywhere. I mean, every time she ever went to a class reunion or a conference or something, somebody ended up dead! After a while, you start to notice a common denominator, know what I mean? ;)

I know! I don't know why she was invited anywhere! :laughing:

I remember reading years ago that if Cabot Cove were real, it would've had the highest murder rate per capita in the country! :eek:

WOW!!!

Well of course the mini donuts would be the highlight of a water park Jenny. Just common sense.

I was just going to ask about the whipped cream as I remember there being the logo. I guess maybe too many people didn't want to eat it because it was just too pretty.

Ugh that chair. Honestly, who thought that was a good idea?

I love the walk from the Boardwalk to MGM especially when you get to that point where it comes into view.

Are we taking bets?

That slide was nuts. I wish I could remember which slide it was so we could avoid it this time! :eek:

True. I suppose I shouldn't be surprise that good donuts could be found at a waterpark. :goodvibes

I think we still could've eaten it. :D

That chair is just bizarre. I don't know who made the decision to include that in the décor. :confused:

It really is a lovely walk. I don't know why Anika didn't like it, but I wouldn't mind doing it again.

The consensus seems to be the morning reveal. The more I think about it that's where I'm leaning! ::yes::

Thanks for the rocker! :-)

Oh my goodness, your food pics are once again making me STARVING!! Lol! And those doughnuts at Blizard Beach... omg yes! Those are totally worth the trip to the water park! lol!

But more importantly, Jenny... Have you seen this??! New Muppets Show Trailer !! Eric & I are stoked!

I seem to do that to a lot of people! :laughing: (At least you know what you have to look forward to on the trip report!)

Those donuts are just to-die-for. Highly, highly recommended! :thumbsup2

No, I hadn't seen that! Awesome! :woohoo:
First off... SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1::banana::cool1::banana::cool1::banana:

Yikes, I remember Summit Plummet... and I remember not going on it! I was last there in 1997 which must have made me 15 - I'll use that as my excuse for wimping out. :rotfl2:I just remember seeing the slide and thinking "this sure looks like it's straight down!" :rotfl:

Wow, you and Anika remind me so much of me and my youngest sister. I love that you went to afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. Me and Ashley have got to do that sometime! About a year ago, on my last trip to England to visit her, we went to Betty's which is a really well-known tea house in York. I think the Grand Flo got it right on the money! Here's what we had... and yours appears to be very similar.
View attachment 96526

I haven't ever taken the path to HS from the Boardwalk... but I've always wanted to. I guess in the past I've always been of the mindset that I need to save my feet during that journey :laughing:

You've shared previously that Anika loves the GMR just like me... and I think I believe it now! :rotfl:

WOOHOO again for Single Digits!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping1:

Hooray for the single digit dance. Now we're even closer... (and later today, YOU'RE THERE!!!). :banana:

It really is STRAIGHT DOWN. :laughing: If given another chance you really should consider giving it a shot. It's quite a rush!

We really enjoy the tea. How fabulous to have afternoon tea in England! That spread looks fabulous! :thumbsup2

Perhaps you should avoid it this time to save you knee, but it really is a nice, quiet path. :goodvibes

Anika ADORES that ride! We always ride it 2-3 times per trip!

Wow - I was really behind. How the heck did that happen???

So - I loved your HS update. You can never ride ToT too many times? What a great, full day!

OMG - those onion rings look like they are to die!

I have to agree that Kouzzina had some amazing breakfasts and I am a big fan of feta cheese and have had those eggs - yum!

Yay for single digit dancing!!!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I had a whole slew of updates in a row - I need to get through a few things before we leave (IN SIX DAYS!!!).

Thanks! We had such a great day - we were so productive and managed to ride so many things! I think this is why we still consider it to be a full-day park for us! :thumbsup2

The onion rings there are awesome. We order them every time! ::yes::

Those eggs and Anika's pancakes were both excellent. I'm sad it's gone as we definitely would've booked breakfast again!

party: I can't believe we're so close!

She was so excited to make that lightsaber. She's really looking forward to going to Star Wars Weekends this year! :thumbsup2

Day 6
Thursday, May 28th

ADRs for the Day:
Grand Floridian Café, 9:15am
Garden View Tea Room, 2:40pm
Narcoossee's, 7:15pm

This morning will begin with me returning the rental car to the Car Care Center. I'll have them bring me back to the Grand Floridian and catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom for the welcome show. :yay: After the welcome show, I'll ride the monorail or catch the boat back to the Grand Floridian, wake up Anika, and then go to our breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café. I'm really looking forward to trying the Vanilla French Toast this time! ::yes::

We have the entire day off from the theme parks today in order to enjoy every bit of time at the Grand Floridian. :cloud9: We spend so much time at Disney World rushing from park to park that we rarely soak up all the great things that can be found at our resort. Since the Grand Floridian will not be a regular resort in our rotation, I really want Anika to enjoy it as much as possible. I'm looking forward to a day of relaxing, too! (Imagine, relaxing on vacation! What a novel idea! :laughing: )

My plans for the morning and early afternoon are to explore the resort and spend lots of time by the awesome pool. I'd like to get at least one poolside drink, and perhaps we'll share an order of nachos or anther snack. I'd also love to spend some time in a lounge chair on the Seven Seas Lagoon (just because I can!).

:beach:

As we're already at the Grand Floridian, this will be our day to enjoy our regular afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room! We'll pick two fun packages and enjoy our tea, sandwiches, and other treats - perhaps we'll even get a Grand Floridian logo on our strawberries this time! :goodvibes

My uncle is planning to arrive this afternoon. Once we're done with our tea, I'm planning to show him around the resort and perhaps we'll take a loop around the monorail for fun. :-)

After another few hours of relaxation and going with the flow, we'll get ready for our nice dinner at Narcoossee's! I'm very excited to eat here as we've never tried it before. I'm looking forward to trying the mussels and I think Anika will enjoy the cheesecake.

Once we're done with dinner, I'd love to catch the Electric Water pageant from the Narcoosee's dock or the Grand Floridian beach - we've never seen it before! I'd also love to watch Wishes from any resort around the lagoon. It will be phenomenal to watch Wishes from our resort! We've never been able to do that before! :D

Our last night in the Grand Floridian should be lovely no matter what we find to do. The best part is once we wake up in the morning... it will be Anika's birthday! :flower:

Up Next for 2015: Day 7 Plans

Awesome plans for the GF. I've never seen that water parade either...but you will be in the perfect spot. It is kind of a tough one to catch because you are usually either still in the parks or back at your hotel...unless you make a real effort to see this. I do hope to one day though. I hope you get your strawberries and cream right this time :) The tea service looks so good though. Another thing I can never find time for...because it is kind of an awkward time...I guess you will sort of make it into a late lunch?

It's all you've heard and more! :thumbsup2

:faint:

This morning will begin with me returning the rental car to the Car Care Center. I'll have them bring me back to the Grand Floridian and catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom for the welcome show. :yay: After the welcome show, I'll ride the monorail or catch the boat back to the Grand Floridian, wake up Anika, and then go to our breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café.

Wow! You're packing in an entire day's worth of stuff before Anika's even awake! :laughing:

The best part is once we wake up in the morning... it will be Anika's birthday! :flower:

Love all those plans. They just sound so.... decadent.

This morning will begin with me returning the rental car to the Car Care Center.

I sure do hope your Car Care experience is better than the last report, the amazing employees there notwithstanding. Remember first thing... locate the gas cap release. :thumbsup2

YAY for the Welcome Show!!

I think given the length of your trip, a day of "relaxing" is almost mandatory. You do not stay at a Deluxe and not take advantage of all that it offers. Capping it all off with Wishes from that very resort. :cloud9:

Awesome plans for the GF. I've never seen that water parade either...but you will be in the perfect spot. It is kind of a tough one to catch because you are usually either still in the parks or back at your hotel...unless you make a real effort to see this. I do hope to one day though. I hope you get your strawberries and cream right this time :) The tea service looks so good though. Another thing I can never find time for...because it is kind of an awkward time...I guess you will sort of make it into a late lunch?

I think it's a great opportunity to finally see the water parade!

Me, too! I'd love to see the fancy logo! :laughing: Maybe I'll have to order the trifle to have a better shot! :thumbsup2

Yes, it's usually been a late lunch for us. I thought we could eat a snack or two pool-side to tide us over. :goodvibes

Wow! You're packing in an entire day's worth of stuff before Anika's even awake! :laughing:

Love all those plans. They just sound so.... decadent.

:laughing: I'll be knocking out a few things, at least!

I think a stay at the Grand Floridian calls for a bit of decadence. :goodvibes

I sure do hope your Car Care experience is better than the last report, the amazing employees there notwithstanding. Remember first thing... locate the gas cap release. :thumbsup2

YAY for the Welcome Show!!

I think given the length of your trip, a day of "relaxing" is almost mandatory. You do not stay at a Deluxe and not take advantage of all that it offers. Capping it all off with Wishes from that very resort. :cloud9:

Will do, Rob! :laughing: I now rent so many cars for work travel that I should be okay this time! :thumbsup2

I'm SO EXCITED to see the Welcome Show! :banana:

I think so, too. As our trip is so long, I think it's necessary to avoid burnout. Doing so at a deluxe resort makes it even better. :goodvibes

We're Ready for Launch!
a.k.a. She Graduated Today!

Good (and totally unsurprising!) news today... I spent my day with a brand new graduate:

151_zps8lpmbrkp.jpg

Anika's high school graduation was today!!! We were running behind and only grabbed a cap and gown picture AFTER she'd turned in her National Honor Society stole and honor tassels, but what do you do? :confused3

We also took a selfie (as that's what the kids do these days :laughing: ) :

152_zpsxeecawtb.jpg

As the main purpose of our trip is to celebrate her graduation, we can now officially go! (Because, you know, no gradation would mean no trip.) ;) :rotfl:

We held her graduation party yesterday afternoon and it was a big success. We had great food and a lot of people stopped by - Anika was pretty thrilled. I think my parents are thrilled it's finally over - those parties are a lot of work! :faint:

Here's Anika posing with her cake:

017_zpskqqac8va.jpg

(See the mini tarts in the background? I made those! Even better, everybody loved them and they received lots of compliments!)

Along with a nice gathering of cards and good wishes, she also received some fun presents. One of my favorites was a picture painted by one of Anika's friends:

183_zps6wwetqkb.jpg

Isn't it awesome?! :worship: Anika adores the movie Cinderella (she carried around a Cinderella Barbie for YEARS...) and so Casey painted the Cinderella transformation in progress. I was very impressed. And also rather touched that her friend painted a DISNEY THEMED painting. :thumbsup2

Although our upcoming trip is Anika's gift from me, I couldn't resist giving her just a small something to open this weekend:

162_zps6emijgqi.jpg

Graduation Mickey ears! It's tough to see in the photo, but they state "Class of 2015" on the front and have a small cap and tassel on top. My parents thought my gift was a little odd, but she LOVED them. She even wore them out and about this afternoon to her other friends' graduation parties! :thumbsup2

I have to admit, it made me quite happy. :blush: :lovestruc

SIX MORE DAYS!!!

:dance3:

Up Next for 2015: Day 7 Plans (for real!)

Last edited:
Good (and totally unsurprising!) news today... I spent my day with a brand new graduate:

Congratulations to Anika!

We also took a selfie (as that's what the kids do these days :laughing: ) :

They do? This is the first I've heard of it!

:rolleyes1

(See the mini tarts in the background? I made those! Even better, everybody loved them and they received lots of compliments!)

Very nice. They look delicious.

Although our upcoming trip is Anika's gift from me, I couldn't resist giving her just a small something to open this weekend:

Once we arrived about ten minutes after opening, we rented a locker, dumped our stuff, and made our way to the insanity that is Summit Plummet:

694_zpsosny6oob.jpg

I will tell you that it is a little intimidating to sit at the top of the slide and look straight down. The slide is aptly named as it really is a plummet!

The ride down, however, is exhilarating. :worship: It is seriously the best waterslide I’ve ever been on, period. As long as you don’t have an extreme fear of heights, it is something that you absolutely must try sometime.
I don't care for water parks and had no desire to go to the ones at WDW, but that picture just changed everything. That has to be the largest water slide I've ever seen! Definitely going to be on my to do list now for the future.

It’s Grand Floridian Day! :yay:

I haven't decided whether to reveal this surprise to Anika this morning or the evening before. The morning of would make sense, but I also want to give her the opportunity to leave Universal early in case she wants to rush right over there. :teleport:

I’d love to reveal the surprise to her by driving up to the hotel and state that we’re checking in, but I’d REALLY love to get her reaction on video. It should be priceless! The result of the video need likely results in resort envelope #3 (I still need to MAKE all those envelopes for all these reveals! :scared: ).
Another vote for morning reveal! Can't wait to hear about her reaction to this awesome surprise!

Dance Party!

We're interrupting our regularly scheduled programing for this very important announcement:

IT'S SINGLE DIGIT DANCE TIME!!!
:cheer2: :cool1: party: :cool1: :cheer2:

We have the entire day off from the theme parks today in order to enjoy every bit of time at the Grand Floridian. :cloud9:

As we're already at the Grand Floridian, this will be our day to enjoy our regular afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room! We'll pick two fun packages and enjoy our tea, sandwiches, and other treats - perhaps we'll even get a Grand Floridian logo on our strawberries this time! :goodvibes
Your plans for the GF sound great and so relaxing. What a nice break from the parks! Loved the pictures of afternoon tea from your previous trip. Everything looked delicious and so pretty!

Along with a nice gathering of cards and good wishes, she also received some fun presents. One of my favorites was a picture painted by one of Anika's friends:

183_zps6wwetqkb.jpg

Isn't it awesome?! :worship: Anika adores the movie Cinderella (she carried around a Cinderella Barbie for YEARS...) and so Casey painted the Cinderella transformation in progress. I was very impressed. And also rather touched that her friend painted a DISNEY THEMED painting. :thumbsup2

162_zps6emijgqi.jpg

Graduation Mickey ears! It's tough to see in the photo, but they state "Class of 2015" on the front and have a small cap and tassel on top. My parents thought my gift was a little odd, but she LOVED them. She even wore them out and about this afternoon to her other friends' graduation parties! :thumbsup2

SIX MORE DAYS!!!

:dance3:

Up Next for 2015: Day 7 Plans (for real!)
Congratulations to Anika!!!!
The tarts you made look yummy. :goodvibes and the painting from her friend is such a sweet gift! I don't think your gift is odd at all, it's perfect! Very fitting. :thumbsup2

151_zps8lpmbrkp.jpg

YAY, Congrats to Ah-Nik-Ah (yeah that's a thing now). You know, this is such a special time in a young person's life; You should totally do something to celebrate.

As the main purpose of our trip is to celebrate her graduation, we can now officially go!

Oh that's right! ;)

Here's Anika posing with her cake:

017_zpskqqac8va.jpg

Cake? I though it was a car.

162_zps6emijgqi.jpg

Awww Jenny I love that. :goodvibes

This morning will begin with me returning the rental car to the Car Care Center. I'll have them bring me back to the Grand Floridian and catch the monorail to the Magic Kingdom for the welcome show. :yay: After the welcome show, I'll ride the monorail or catch the boat back to the Grand Floridian, wake up Anika, and then go to our breakfast at the Grand Floridian Café. I'm really looking forward to trying the Vanilla French Toast this time! ::yes::
Wow. That's a busy morning! But I guess there's no better time to do all that than when you're going to have a down day.

(Imagine, relaxing on vacation! What a novel idea! :laughing: )
Something that I really want to do... but it is just so hard...

Our last night in the Grand Floridian should be lovely no matter what we find to do. The best part is once we wake up in the morning... it will be Anika's birthday! :flower:
Looks like a nice day at the GF. And a great birthday present for Anika.

Woohoo! Congratulations, Anika!

As the main purpose of our trip is to celebrate her graduation, we can now officially go! (Because, you know, no gradation would mean no trip.) ;) :rotfl:
Couldn't it just become a birthday trip? :rolleyes1

We're going to need some samples... :rolleyes1

That's a really cool, personal gift. I'm sure that will be something she treasures. :thumbsup2

And that is an awesome gift as well! I'm glad she enjoyed showing them off. :thumbsup2

Congratulations to Anika!

Thanks! I will be sure to share the congratulations after the trip - she technically doesn't know this PTR exists!

They do? This is the first I've heard of it!

:rolleyes1

:lmao:

Very nice. They look delicious.

Thanks! They were quite delicious! ::yes::

I couldn't resist. :goodvibes

I don't care for water parks and had no desire to go to the ones at WDW, but that picture just changed everything. That has to be the largest water slide I've ever seen! Definitely going to be on my to do list now for the future.

We're not really waterpark people, either, but we thought we should give them a try. We LOVED Summit Plummet and it was definitely the coolest slide we've even been on. I highly recommend it! :thumbsup2

Another vote for morning reveal! Can't wait to hear about her reaction to this awesome surprise!

I think I have it worked out now! Morning reveal, it is! :D

Thanks for joining the dance! :banana:

Your plans for the GF sound great and so relaxing. What a nice break from the parks! Loved the pictures of afternoon tea from your previous trip. Everything looked delicious and so pretty!

I think we'll need a little relaxation on this trip. Plus, I know Anika will be thrilled to spend an entire day at her Grand Floridian. :goodvibes

Congratulations to Anika!!!!
The tarts you made look yummy. :goodvibes and the painting from her friend is such a sweet gift! I don't think your gift is odd at all, it's perfect! Very fitting. :thumbsup2

Thanks! As mentioned above, I'll be sure to tell her post-trip!

They're a bugger to make but they're SO good. You don't see them every day (especially at a graduation party!) so they went over well.

I thought her friend's gift was so nice. I love that her friends know and understand her love for Disney. I was also pretty thrilled she loved the ears! :woohoo:

YAY, Congrats to Ah-Nik-Ah (yeah that's a thing now). You know, this is such a special time in a young person's life; You should totally do something to celebrate.

I will be sure to pass along the congratulations!

Yes, I really should get on that... ;)

Oh that's right! ;)

I don't know what we would've done without the actual graduation taking place... a cheer up trip? :idea:

Cake? I though it was a car.

:lmao:

Awww Jenny I love that. :goodvibes

Thank you! :goodvibes I was thrilled that she was so excited about it!

Wow. That's a busy morning! But I guess there's no better time to do all that than when you're going to have a down day.

True.

Something that I really want to do... but it is just so hard...

I totally agree - we're terrible about having a relaxing day (or afternoon!) at Disney World. However, given the length of the trip and the specialness of the Grand Floridian, I think it's called for. :-)

Looks like a nice day at the GF. And a great birthday present for Anika.

I think she'll love it. At least I hope so! :goodvibes

Woohoo! Congratulations, Anika!

I'll be sure to pass the message along!

Couldn't it just become a birthday trip? :rolleyes1

Yes! Yes it could! :thumbsup2

We're going to need some samples... :rolleyes1

If only I could figure out a way to do that on the DISboards...

(My food posts drive people over the edge now - can you imagine what would happen if samples were included?! :crazy: )

That's a really cool, personal gift. I'm sure that will be something she treasures. :thumbsup2

I think so, too.

And that is an awesome gift as well! I'm glad she enjoyed showing them off. :thumbsup2

Me, too! :lovestruc

Day 7
Friday, May 29th

The time crunch is definitely on, folks – just five days to go! :scared:

I managed to knock several things off the big “to do” list today, including burning lots of photos onto discs, clearing my camera memory cards, transferring the remainder of my Disney reward dollars onto my card, and printing copies of all of our reservations (flights, hotels, rental car, etc.). I also finished my daily plan sheets – they are printed half sheets of paper that I carry around in my park bag with our general schedule, ADR confirmation numbers, park hours, and (new this year!) Fastpass+ reservations. My list is still a mile long, so please forgive me if my presence on the DISboards is spotty this week. Please also forgive me if I fail to comment on any of your trip reports - I will comment with gusto upon my return! :thumbsup2

Although I’ll be sure to get to all of the daily plans posts before I go (this is a pre-trip report, after all), I don’t think I’ll be able to finish out the remaining 2013 trip report posts. I’ll wrap up that portion of the report when I return.

On with the show!

ADRs of the Day:
Crystal Palace, 8:10am
Liberty Tree Tavern, 12:00pm
California Grill, 7:00pm

Fastpass+ Attractions:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 10:05am
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, 12:45pm
Space Mountain, 1:50pm

We’ll wake up in the Grand Floridian on Friday morning – Anika’s nineteenth birthday! Nothing says “happy birthday” like waking up at your favorite resort in Disney World, am I right?

:flower: :bday: :flower:

After getting ready for the day and dropping off our luggage for the resort transfer service, we’ll board the monorail (or bus – I can’t remember what the reduced hours are?) to the Magic Kingdom. Magic Kingdom is Anika’s favorite park, so it’s only right that we’re there on her birthday. ::yes::

We’ll be entering the park early for breakfast at our favorite pre-park opening ADR – Crystal Palace! Although the crowds on Main Street are apparently getting bigger with the Be Our Guest breakfast being added to the mix, it will still be less crowded than any other time of the day. I hope to get a few pictures on Main Street on our way to breakfast.

I’m really looking forward to another custom omelet (they’re awesome!) as well as some Pooh’s Puffed French Toast and other assorted goodies. I’m also looking forward to saying hello to my second main man, Eeyore – I just love that guy. Anika is looking forward to the breakfast and NOT the characters – but she plays along for my sake. I think my uncle will get a kick out of breakfast – I’m pretty sure it will be his first character meal experience!

After breakfast, we’ll make our way into Fantasyland. We’ll knock out the heavy hitters first – Peter Pan’s Flight and Winnie the Pooh, and likely follow that up with the Teacups and perhaps It’s a Small World. I’d also like to ride the Haunted Mansion this morning before the line gets too long. We’ll head to our first Fastpass+ of the day in Frontierland, but we’ll ride it again if the line agrees with us. Alas, Splash Mountain is out for us today as my uncle has hearing aids that don’t agree with water rides.

Any remaining time this morning will be supplemented with things with shorter lines – we'll likely go to PhilharMagic, and perhaps a spin on the riverboat (we miss that every year!) or a Disney classic like Country Bears. I want to see as many of the Disney classics and favorites as possible as this is Uncle Wade’s first visit to Magic Kingdom! :-)

Lunch is at another favorite of ours, Liberty Tree Tavern. Anika ADORES the burger and fries, and I’m torn between finally trying the burger and getting the Colony Salad again (there you go, a little preview of our Magic Kingdom day from 2013! ;) ). Of course, our meal will end with an Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, one of the best desserts in Disney World! :worship:

After lunch, we’ll be enjoying our first time on the newest Disney dark ride, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! :yay: This is our first of two Fastpasses for this and I’m quite excited! After the Mine Train, we’ll head over to Tomorrowland for a ride on the Peoplemover, a spin on the Carrousel of Progress, and to use our Fastpass+ for Space Mountain. We’ll possibly try for a fourth Fastpass for Buzz Lightyear, Pirates of the Caribbean, or the Haunted Mansion (if we didn’t ride it before).

I would like to be wrapped up in time to see the 3:00 parade for the very first time! I’ve never bothered to make time for the afternoon parade before, but I’ve heard so much raving about Festival of Fantasy that we’ll be sure to check it out!

We’ll likely head out after the parade to head to our new (and last!) resort, Port Orleans Riverside. My uncle will have his car, so we’ll probably go back to the Grand Floridian and then drive over to Riverside. Our room should be ready by that time so we can grab our bags and settle in. If you remember, I requested a room in the Magnolia Bend (mansions) section and I may try to switch the room if they put us in Alligator Bayou. My reasons for this are twofold. First, we stayed in the Alligator Bayou in 2007, so it may be nice to try something different. Second, the mansions are really more our taste (and they’re closer to the river and the Downtown Disney boat!).

After a few hours break, we’ll go to our dinner reservation at the fabulous California Grill. Anika and I ate here at our first sisters-only trip in 2012 and we LOVED it. :lovestruc It was under its extensive refurbishment during our 2013 trip so this will be only our second time here. I can’t wait to see the refurbishment in person after seeing it in trip and dining report pictures, and I can’t wait to see what my uncle’s reaction is to the restaurant. I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to order, but I’m sure Anika and I will split an order of sushi (we LOVE sushi!) and dessert is an absolute necessity. :cloud9:

We may or may not stay for Wishes. :eek: Our trip is long enough that we have plenty of opportunities to see it, and honestly, I didn’t really like Wishes from the top of the Contemporary Resort. I will absolutely go out onto the balcony and look at the scenery, though, as the view is amazing!

I think we’ll probably head back to the resort after dinner, but I’m willing to go back to Magic Kingdom or head over to Epcot if Anika wants to. It is her birthday, after all. :cake:

Up Next for 2015: Day 8 Plans

Day 8
Saturday, May 30th

ADRs for the Day:
Yak & Yeti, 11:30am
Be Our Guest, 6:50pm

Fastpass+ Attractions:
Kilimanjaro Safaris, 9:05-10:05am
Expedition Everest, 12:35-1:35pm
Dinosaur, 2:15-3:15pm

Our second full day with our uncle will present him with another new-to-him park, Animal Kingdom! Animal Kingdom continues to grow on me each trip – I keep finding another thing I like each time I visit.

We’ll grab breakfast from the resort before jumping on the Animal Kingdom bus. My plan at rope drop is to beeline straight for Expedition Everest and ride it 2-3 times if the crowds permit. :thumbsup2

Next we’ll head to Africa. I’m toying with pushing our Safari Fastpass out a bit and catching the first Festival of the Lion King show – I think it’s the show my uncle would like the most. If we do see Lion King first, we’ll follow that up with the safari and a walk on the Pangani trail. If we have time, we’ll go over to the Tree of Life and see It’s Tough to Be a Bug.

Lunch is at an Anika must-do, Yak and Yeti. This is another gem of a restaurant – we ate here in 2012 just to fill out our deluxe dining plan and we LOVED the place! In 2013 we got and shared a selection of appetizers and that was perfect for us. With another person we’ll be able to get another appetizer! Of course, a meal here is not complete without the cream cheese wonton dessert. :cloud9:

I plan to wander the Marharajah trail in order to settle our stomachs, followed by our Expedition Everest Fastpass. We’ll then head to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur. That should wrap up our day and our uncle’s first visit to Animal Kingdom. :D

After a rest at the resort, we’ll head out to Magic Kingdom for our dinner at Be Our Guest! We all the hub-bub about this restaurant I was shocked to easily get a reservation on the second night of our stay (I had to make our dining reservation in chunks to match our multiple resort reservations). Anika and I managed to get a dinner ADR here in 2013 and just adored the place, so I’m very excited to return this year! I’m not sure if Wade has even seen Beauty and the Beast, but it’s a cool place regardless so I’m sure he’ll like it. I’ll be sure to do what we didn’t do last time and tour the rest of the restaurant – I wasn’t even aware that was an option when we were there! :confused3

Our after dinner plans will consist of other Magic Kingdom classics that we may have missed the day before, including Pirates of the Caribbean and the Jungle Cruise. I’ll be sure to grab us a fourth Fastpass on our way into the park (and perhaps we’ll have time for an attraction before dinner).

We’ll be sure to catch both the Main Street Electrical Parade and Wishes this evening – I don’t believe Wade has seen either of them. We may head out once those are done (although we’ll probably let the crowd disperse first – a nighttime spin on the Peoplemover, anyone? :thumbsup2 ). The Magic Kingdom has extra magic hours that evening, but as we have an especially early morning the next day (and I don’t want to completely wear out my uncle! :faint: ) we’ll head out at a reasonable time.

Up Next for 2015: Day 9 Plans

Day 9
Sunday, May 31st

ADRs of the Day:
50’s Prime Time Café, 12:05pm
Artist Point, 6:00pm

Fastpass+ Attractions:
Tower of Terror, 8:30 – 9:30am
Star Tours, 9:40 – 10:40am
Toy Story Midway Mania, 1:00 – 2:00pm

We’ll get up bright and early today for STAR WARS WEEKENDS! :darth: We avoided Star Wars Weekends during our 2013 trip in order to avoid the crowds (not due to any dislike of Star Wars – I’ve seen all six movies!), but I wanted to make sure Wade got a full park experience. He’s visited Epcot with us on our last two trips so I decided we should do something different. As he’s here on the weekend, Star Wars Weekend, it is! :thumbsup2

I’d love to arrive in time for the Stormtrooper’s show at 7:30. I have no idea what that entails, but as it will be a unique experience and get us closer to the front of the line, it sounds good to me! Once the park opens, I’m hoping to dodge a chunk of the crowd that’s headed to Star Wars events by going to Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster – I hope it cooperates and is running this morning! :goodvibes We’ll follow that up with a drop on our Tower of Terror. We have a Fastpass for it, but we’ll do a drop beforehand if the line is reasonable.

After the Tower of Terror, we’ll head over to the Great Movie Ride for Anika. She loves this ride and I want to go on it before it’s too nutty. Our next stop will either be Muppet Vision 3-D or Star Tours, depending on how close we are to the end of our Fastpass return time. I would love to catch the Legends of the Force Motorcade at 11:00.

Our lunch is at another restaurant that Anika and I are fond of, 50’s Prime Time Café. I’m happy to have an ADR as I would guess the counter-service spots are mobbed on Star Wars Weekends. :crowded: I’m not sure what we’ll do for lunch – Anika and I split the combination meal last time and that worked well, but that won’t be enough with a third person. We’ll play it by ear and figure it out. I do know I’m going to request a TV table – I think we’ll have a good shot with three people. ::yes::

Our fist attraction after lunch is one of my favorite Disney attractions, Toy Story Midway Mania! I hope my shooting skills are okay as I haven’t been on the ride in two years! I think Wade will get a kick out of it.

We’ll do a few more attractions before heading out for our usual afternoon break. We found on our 2013 trip that we did best when we took a break in the afternoon. The Florida heat and humidity really takes it out of you! :faint:

After our break, we’ll head over for our very first visit at the Wilderness Lodge. :D I adore its sister resort (of sorts) the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so I’m sure I’ll love this place, too. Our restaurant this evening is new to us – I’m so excited to finally be having dinner at Artist Point! :hyper: I know I want to order the Smoky Portobello Soup, but beyond that I’ll order what strikes me. Wade may or may not be joining us for dinner – I included him on the reservation just in case, but he may head home this afternoon to avoid driving in the dark. (He may also head home on Monday morning – I told him he was welcome to do whatever he wanted.)

After soaking up some rustic charm at the Wilderness Lodge, I’m rather up in the air on our plans. One good possibility is heading back to Hollywood Studios to catch the Symphony in the Stars fireworks. We could grab a Fastpass in the afternoon that we could enjoy tonight (which we may do anyway, and if we don’t use it, who cares?). Either way, we’ll head back at our resort at a semi-reasonable time. We’re planning to pack a lot into the weekend and will probably need the sleep! ::yes::

Up Next for 2015: Day 10 Plans

We’ll wake up in the Grand Floridian on Friday morning – Anika’s nineteenth birthday! Nothing says “happy birthday” like waking up at your favorite resort in Disney World, am I right?
Probably. It isn't like I know from experience. :rolleyes:

I want to see as many of the Disney classics and favorites as possible as this is Uncle Wade’s first visit to Magic Kingdom! :-)
Jungle Cruise. There aren't many uncles who don't appreciate some good (or bad) puns.

If you remember, I requested a room in the Magnolia Bend (mansions) section and I may try to switch the room if they put us in Alligator Bayou. My reasons for this are twofold. First, we stayed in the Alligator Bayou in 2007, so it may be nice to try something different. Second, the mansions are really more our taste (and they’re closer to the river and the Downtown Disney boat!).
Good luck!

We may or may not stay for Wishes. :eek: Our trip is long enough that we have plenty of opportunities to see it, and honestly, I didn’t really like Wishes from the top of the Contemporary Resort.
I can see that. It would definitely be an odd angle. Not that I've ever seen it from there to say from experience though...

My plan at rope drop is to beeline straight for Expedition Everest and ride it 2-3 times if the crowds permit. :thumbsup2
Great plan! Hopefully you'll be able to do that easily.

I’m toying with pushing our Safari Fastpass out a bit and catching the first Festival of the Lion King show – I think it’s the show my uncle would like the most. If we do see Lion King first, we’ll follow that up with the safari and a walk on the Pangani trail.
That's a good idea. That should work out really well for you.

I plan to wander the Marharajah trail in order to settle our stomachs, followed by our Expedition Everest Fastpass. We’ll then head to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur. That should wrap up our day and our uncle’s first visit to Animal Kingdom. :D
No Kali River Rapids?

Or are you just going to save yourself the trouble of waiting in line and jump in the pool fully clothed back at the resort? :rotfl:

After a rest at the resort, we’ll head out to Magic Kingdom for our dinner at Be Our Guest! We all the hub-bub about this restaurant I was shocked to easily get a reservation on the second night of our stay (I had to make our dining reservation in chunks to match our multiple resort reservations).
I would have to assume the fact that you can make ADR's for lunch and breakfast now has taken some of the pressure off the system to book the dinner ADRs. :confused3

Our after dinner plans will consist of other Magic Kingdom classics that we may have missed the day before, including Pirates of the Caribbean and the Jungle Cruise.
Or, scratch the earlier comment about JC. It is a little more fun after dark. :thumbsup2

The Magic Kingdom has extra magic hours that evening, but as we have an especially early morning the next day (and I don’t want to completely wear out my uncle! :faint: ) we’ll head out at a reasonable time.
Um... define "reasonable." :rotfl:

I’d love to arrive in time for the Stormtrooper’s show at 7:30. I have no idea what that entails, but as it will be a unique experience and get us closer to the front of the line, it sounds good to me!
I think that would be awesome to see!!! Of all the SWW stuff they have, the storm troopers show just seems like a great way to set the tone for the day.

Our fist attraction after lunch is one of my favorite Disney attractions, Toy Story Midway Mania! I hope my shooting skills are okay as I haven’t been on the ride in two years! I think Wade will get a kick out of it.
I'm sure he will. Everybody loves it!

After our break, we’ll head over for our very first visit at the Wilderness Lodge.
I really hope you like it!!! It is my favorite resort! :thumbsup2

One good possibility is heading back to Hollywood Studios to catch the Symphony in the Stars fireworks.
That would be a fun show to see. I like that idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter